Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deon Cain Interview

Great interview and I can't wait to see Cain in action when he's fully recovered and ready to play.  Our draft class was great, but if he were healthy, I imagine it would have been even better.

I know that nothing is certain, but with his attitude and work ethic, he'll be successful.  The fact that he was heavily involved in meetings, watching practice, etc. shows his dedication and desire to be the best he can be.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Great interview and I can't wait to see Cain in action when he's fully recovered and ready to play.  Our draft class was great, but if he were healthy, I imagine it would have been even better.

I know that nothing is certain, but with his attitude and work ethic, he'll be successful.  The fact that he was heavily involved in meetings, watching practice, etc. shows his dedication and desire to be the best he can be.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He has a really good attitude. He will succeed if that knee is back to 100%.

I love the kid.

I had him mocked in the 3rd. So lucky he was still there in the 6th.

:banana::monkeydance::cheer2:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why did he fall to the 6th if he was that good?

Mainly due to a slide in his numbers in his last year when Deshaun Watson left.

He has loads of talent and speed. Reich and Sirianni will know how to utilise him properly. ANd he will have Luck throwing to him. I think he will be more productive than what Pascal, Grant and Rodgers were last year.

• Like 1

Of 20 mainstream NFL wide receivers only 6 didn't make it back playing in the NFL. Most were under 30. Some that did had lower production numbers, also depends on the type of degree of their ACL injury. previous injuries etc...  This survey was done between 2013 to 2016.  It seems that this was Cain first major injury suffered, so at his young age, it is very promising. that he will have a full recovery. On that note it will still take him this year , barring any set back to ease back in to 100% recovery. This year could be a learning  curve for Cain to test his recovery so have patience . So remember he is still a rookie , so he's still learning the ropes.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

A Failed drug test and a dip in production in his senior year.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/30/indianapolis-colts-deon-cain-shocked-fell-sixth-round/

I take some failed drug test with a grain of salt. Some are blatant disregard to protocol, some are innocently misguided, not intentionally known to players who if were known would not have taken it.  There are countless so called boosters that promise you better stamina, alertness etc...that claim it's legit, so most of these guys are not chemist, and I can see why they might unknowingly be naïve in to trying it.     

10 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I take some failed drug test with a grain of salt. Some are blatant disregard to protocol, some are innocently misguided, not intentionally known to players who if were known would not have taken it.  There are countless so called boosters that promise you better stamina, alertness etc...that claim it's legit, so most of these guys are not chemist, and I can see why they might unknowingly be naïve in to trying it.     

I want to say his failed drug test early in his college career too.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wonder if it was weed.

I believe it was.

• Like 2

Prior to injury, many said had worked his way into the #2WR position. Given he was challenging Grant at X, and Rogers for slot snaps, is not surprising. What is unquestionably good though is that he seemed to be picking up routes and building good chemistry with Luck. 

My biggest hope other than he recovers and stays healthy, is that he gets his speed back. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Of 20 mainstream NFL wide receivers only 6 didn't make it back playing in the NFL. Most were under 30. Some that did had lower production numbers, also depends on the type of degree of their ACL injury. previous injuries etc...  This survey was done between 2013 to 2016. 

In my mind, there is no question procedures (of all sorts) have improved dramatically over the years.  And advancements in imaging, AI, instruments, and techniques (and more) will continue.

But on the road to recovery from an ACL, there is a similarity to the field goal attempt.  To make a field goal, there is the snap (that must be on target), the hold (which must be on the exact spot, laces out), and finally the kick.  Any mistake in any one (or more) of the 3 elements could result in a missed FG attempt.

Same with recovery from surgery.  First, there is the expertise and level of success achieved in the surgical procedure by the performing physician. (the snap).  Then there is the expertise of the physical therapist (the hold). Finally the effort and  dedication of the athlete in performing the physical therapy, rehab program, and exercises (the kick). Also, they must get proper rest/sleep, have good nutrition, take medications as prescribed, and don't get ahead, or behind in the treatment plan.

Beyond that, some athletes just heal faster than others, so physician follow up/monitoring is important. Especially if tweaks to the rehab treatment plan are indicated. An 80% return rate for WR seems pretty good IMO, considering the type of moves they make involving the ACL.  Other positions where there is less knee stress may indicate even higher rates of return, and less incidents in reduction of production for some.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

In my mind, there is no question procedures (of all sorts) have improved dramatically over the years.  And advancements in imaging, AI, instruments, and techniques (and more) will continue.

But on the road to recovery from an ACL, there is a similarity to the field goal attempt.  To make a field goal, there is the snap (that must be on target), the hold (which must be on the exact spot, laces out), and finally the kick.  Any mistake in any one (or more) of the 3 elements could result in a missed FG attempt.

Same with recovery from surgery.  First, there is the expertise and level of success achieved in the surgical procedure by the performing physician. (the snap).  Then there is the expertise of the physical therapist (the hold). Finally the effort and  dedication of the athlete in performing the physical therapy, rehab program, and exercises (the kick). Also, they must get proper rest/sleep, have good nutrition, take medications as prescribed, and don't get ahead, or behind in the treatment plan.

Beyond that, some athletes just heal faster than others, so physician follow up/monitoring is important. Especially if tweaks to the rehab treatment plan are indicated. An 80% return rate for WR seems pretty good IMO, considering the type of moves they make involving the ACL.  Other positions where there is less knee stress may indicate even higher rates of return, and less incidents in reduction of production for some.

I know different injuries have different processes and time frames, that's why it was so good Andrew Luck did his rehab the right way, his second go round and not be too impatient in the process. You could see him get better as the season went on, without setbacks.    

I really like him, his work ethic, and his positive attitude. But I’m keeping my expectations low and hoping to be pleasantly surprised this season on how much he’ll actually contribute. 

I have more expectations for Funchess complimenting TY. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CamMo said:

I really like him, his work ethic, and his positive attitude. But I’m keeping my expectations low and hoping to be pleasantly surprised this season on how much he’ll actually contribute. 

I have more expectations for Funchess complimenting TY. 

I'm cautious about both. I think it depends on how you define "complimentary". If you define complimentary as another short to intermediate threat at the X and slot, then I think Funchess can do that. If you define it as a legit well rounded X that can run all the routes and go vertical, then Cain is really the only guy that could fit that role and keep the double teams off TY. 

If both were productive, that would be really nice. Having a vertical guy opposite TY stretches the D and opens up the whole field, and IMO is the biggest need.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The kid is still rocking 8. Would anyone be offended if he wears 88? Its technically not retired. Heck Collie was gonna be given 88 before he went with 17 instead. 

I can only speak for myself. I think 88 should off limits until it's put in the rafters but I wouldn't lose my mind if someone got it. If I was a young WR I'd want my own number but again that's me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I can only speak for myself. I think 88 should off limits until it's put in the rafters but I wouldn't lose my mind if someone got it. If I was a young WR I'd want my own number but again that's me. 

88 was first John Mackey's number, but I get your point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

88 was first John Mackey's number, but I get your point.

Yes and maybe Baltimore should have retired it for Mackey.  I think Indy should've  retired it for Marvin since we are in the business of retiring numbers. Maybe that's just a bad business.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Yes and maybe Baltimore should have retired it for Mackey.  I think Indy should've  retired it for Marvin since we are in the business of retiring numbers. Maybe that's just a bad business.  

We already have 18 19 22 24 70 77 82 89 retired and basically 87 88 98. Thats a lot of numbers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

We already have 18 19 22 24 70 77 82 89 retired and basically 87 88 98. Thats a lot of numbers

You be forgetting Mr. Freeney #93 in that basically part...:lombardi:

I agree retirement of #'s can get ridiculous especially with aged franchises.

7 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

You be forgetting Mr. Freeney #93 in that basically part...:lombardi:

I agree retirement of #'s can get ridiculous especially with aged franchises.

Two players have already wore 93 so you can't really say its been retired

9 hours ago, akcolt said:

That's why I said maybe the retiring numbers business is a bad business to be in 

Yes I was agreeing with you