Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My review of Devin Funchess

Rally5

5 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Colts Fans,

Man, I just couldn't take anymore of the talk about Funchess, his drops, his speed, he's not a legit number two receiver etc.  I do live in NFC South country so I do see a lot of Panther games and always thought highly of Funchess so I went to all the video I could find and here are my humble conclusions on the guy.

1. He catches almost everything with his hands, he let's very few balls get in on him and when he does that's when he has some trouble but this guy has very strong hands!

2. He catches the ball in traffic extraordinarily well, I would go so far as to say 4.5/5.

2a. You could make the case he lacks separation speed but that's not necessarily what the tape shows.  More what the tape shows is a lot of              designed throws to Funchess no matter the coverage and Newton seemed to throw to him in traffic without hesitation, that to me speaks volumes.  The throws in traffic could be the reason for the drops, frankly, what I saw I would rate him well above the likes of Pierre Garcon as an example we can relate to.

3. He can and will run every route.

4. He plays faster than his 40.

5. He high points the ball very well.

6. I see a guys who's every bit of a number two receiver, in fact, he appears to be closer to a one than a three.

I would be very excited about Hilton, Funchess, Inman combo.  Ok to call me crazy.  I've been wrong before...I'll be wrong again!

Andrew Luck is better than Cam Newton, that will make a huge difference. Anyone that ever thought Cam was better was foolish. Funchess now has a QB that is accurate. Look at how Ebron did with Luck and he had Stafford when he underachieved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew Luck is better than Cam Newton, that will make a huge difference. Anyone that ever thought Cam was better was foolish. Funchess now has a QB that is accurate. Look at how Ebron did with Luck and he had Stafford when he underachieved.

I think that's fair, there are very few plays where he is open by design or by second or third looks, so that's very possible.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, coltsfan77 said:

I also live in panther country. In the games I seen him play,when the Panthers needed a play he was the horse they went to.  He made key plays by keeping drives alive or scoring. I am very optimistic in what he could bring to this offense. 

I see to have a similar sense of how he played as a casual observer of the Panthers.  Thx!

• Like 1

Late in the Funchess discussion,   some new,  not originally known advanced stats surfaced...

Stats the Colts had but the basic public fan base did not.

Off the top of my head, the stats were these....

---  That when he ran his routes out of the slot and not out of the split end spot,  Funchess had a 100 percent catch rate.    No drops.

---  That when he ran his routes from the split end spot,  his drop rate was 10 percent,  not the 16 or 17 percent that tossed around here.

---  That on the two pass patterns that the Colts believe Luck throws best (outs and curls)  Funchess had an 80 percent catch rate.

These were the numbers that played heavily into how the Colts view Funchess.   Again,  it's a 1-year deal.    If he works out -- great for us.   We'll bring him back.    If he doesn't --- OK, we'll move on without him. 

Just some food for thought.....

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Late in the Funchess discussion,   some new,  not originally known advanced stats surfaced...

---  That when he ran his routes out of the slot and not out of the split end spot,  Funchess had a 100 percent catch rate.    No drops.

---  That when he ran his routes from the split end spot,  his drop rate was 10 percent,  not the 16 or 17 percent that tossed around here.

---  That on the two pass patterns that the Colts believe Luck throws best (outs and curls)  Funchess had an 80 percent catch rate.

These were the numbers that played heavily into how the Colts view Funchess.   Again,  it's a 1-year deal.    If he works out -- great for us.   We'll bring him back.    If he doesn't --- OK, we'll move on without him. 

That's good stuff, where did you find that data?  

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

PS> As for the lateness, I just grew tired of all the "opinions" based on Madden and Fantasy football and decided to go see more for myself and was really impressed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

That's good stuff, where did you find that data?  

I didn't.   They were in the long thread about Funchess posted by other members --- not me.

They came out in tweets by the media and some members picked up on them and posted them.

I was stunned when I saw them.     Happily so.

I tried to say our front office knew more than the fan base did,   and was pleased those stats finally came out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Colts Fans,

Man, I just couldn't take anymore of the talk about Funchess, his drops, his speed, he's not a legit number two receiver etc.  I do live in NFC South country so I do see a lot of Panther games and always thought highly of Funchess so I went to all the video I could find and here are my humble conclusions on the guy.

1. He catches almost everything with his hands, he let's very few balls get in on him and when he does that's when he has some trouble but this guy has very strong hands!

2. He catches the ball in traffic extraordinarily well, I would go so far as to say 4.5/5.

2a. You could make the case he lacks separation speed but that's not necessarily what the tape shows.  More what the tape shows is a lot of              designed throws to Funchess no matter the coverage and Newton seemed to throw to him in traffic without hesitation, that to me speaks volumes.  The throws in traffic could be the reason for the drops, frankly, what I saw I would rate him well above the likes of Pierre Garcon as an example we can relate to.

6. I see a guys who's every bit of a number two receiver, in fact, he appears to be closer to a one than a three.

7. He plays to his size (a lot of big WR's don't).

I would be very excited about Hilton, Funchess, Inman combo.  Ok to call me crazy.  I've been wrong before...I'll be wrong again!

Funchess is said to be playing a ton of slot receiver for the Colts in 2019 which should give us a lot of favorable matchups due to his size and ability to run over the middle.

I wasn't excited over this signing but I really didn't know too much about Funchess. Right now, I'm all in for bringing in fresh bodies after witnessing the inconsistency the Colts had last season at the WR spot.

I do believe the Colts will draft another WR within the first three rounds of the Draft to come in and compete for the #2 role.

3 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Funchess is said to be playing a ton of slot receiver for the Colts in 2019 which should give us a lot of favorable matchups due to his size and ability to run over the middle.

I wasn't excited over this signing but I really didn't know too much about Funchess. Right now, I'm all in for bringing in fresh bodies after witnessing the inconsistency the Colts had last season at the WR spot.

I do believe the Colts will draft another WR within the first three rounds of the Draft to come in and compete for the #2 role.

I think a lot of people are hoping that, I just don't see it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

The stampede blue article on the critique side doesn't line up with the video to me it appears they went in search of drops to fit a narrative, that's just not what I see there.  First, these were somewhat challenging plays and none seem to be dropped as a result of letting the ball get in on him.  Just what I saw.  If we were to base his issues on this video I would say he's less effective when he's not in full control of his body.  He's a big guy so that makes some sense to me.  That would have been a better analysis of these cut outs.  Next, the author goes out of his way to compliment his hands which I agree with then in one critique says he extends his arms too far from his body then goes on to says he needs to extend his arms away from his body.  Look, I watched everything I could find on the internet, not great source material I know, this guys highlights are as good as anything we've had here in a long time.  I just couldn't find the lowlight reel!

Great thread

I have to say that.....  you have to trust that CB knows what he is doing

He has earned that spot with me.... Grigson.... not so much

He isnt afraid to take a chance.....  He wont be right 100%.... no one is.....

His "chances", arent that costly as well

If Funchess is a stinkbomb.........  he goes away after this season

From what I watched, the guy is tough to cover one on one

He has a basketball box out that he implements

He will be a good endzone threat

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Great thread

I have to say that.....  you have to trust that CB knows what he is doing

He has earned that spot with me.... Grigson.... not so much

He isnt afraid to take a chance.....  He wont be right 100%.... no one is.....

His "chances", arent that costly as well

If Funchess is a stinkbomb.........  he goes away after this season

From what I watched, the guy is tough to cover one on one

He has a basketball box out that he implements

He will be a good endzone threat

Thanks man and to be honest, he's much better than what I realized!  Having done the work (that which can be done).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Colts Fans,

If he's anything like Garcon, just throw it away from him and he'll make insane difficult grabs. Don't throw it right to him or he'll drop it lol. 

Here's hoping he's a legit #2 ! 

I really think defenses will have a difficult time stopping TY, Ebron, Doyle, and Funchess all on the field at the same time. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

If he's anything like Garcon, just throw it away from him and he'll make insane difficult grabs. Don't throw it right to him or he'll drop it lol. 

I really think defenses will have a difficult time stopping TY, Ebron, Doyle, and Funchess all on the field at the same time

I was just about to write the same thing. Those 4 are going to light it up this season!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I really think defenses will have a difficult time stopping TY, Ebron, Doyle, and Funchess all on the field at the same time. 

I think you're right.

@Rally5 Great write up.

It didn't take long for me to realize that Funchess is a better route runner and has better body control than I had initially given him credit for. 

Couple that with the stat breakdown that shows he was very successful with outs and curls, the same routes that Luck threw the most last year, and that there's potential for him to be used on slants and sluggos, and it becomes apparent why they were so interested in him. I think we have a good idea what they want to do with him.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to the OP for this.  I would think we would all be aware that our GM, Coaches and Scouts have tons more experience and resources available when evaluating free agents and draft pick possibilities.  I realize everyone has an opinion on a free agent signing, but it seems too many here jumped to a conclusion without having more information.  Just because a guy isn't a star or all pro, doesn't mean he's not good, or doesn't have the potential to become a star or all pro player.

Funchess was nearly dismissed as a terrible signing within 24 hours by many on here and the man hasn't even participated in one practice, much less a game with the Colts.

We need to be patient and see results when they play on OUR team and in OUR system before passing judgment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Colts Fans,

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you both for this wealth of information!  I was glad with the signing and felt he could thrive in Indianapolis, and this extra information makes me even more excited for his prospects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

@Rally5 Great write up.

It didn't take long for me to realize that Funchess is a better route runner and has better body control than I had initially given him credit for. 

Couple that with the stat breakdown that shows he was very successful with outs and curls, the same routes that Luck threw the most last year, and that there's potential for him to be used on slants and sluggos, and it becomes apparent why they were so interested in him. I think we have a good idea what they want to do with him.

I think that's right, I don't think initially anyone had circled Funchess as a "must get" FA, which makes sense but upon further examination, you can see why those who get paid to do this might think he's a good fit and possibly even undervalued.  He has faults but at 25 he's very interesting.

Yac is important, but I like Aac...Attitude after catch. This kid comes down with the ball and seems like he is going for extra yardage or the end zone with a vengeance. Ballard says he looks for rare traits. I think his toughness after the catch is special. 

• Like 1