Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will be the best WR from 2019 Class

I've been on the A.J. Brown bandwagon since the off-season began.  I think he is the #1 wr for Indy.  Will he be the best in the NFL of this class when all said and done? I'm not sure.  But I think of everyone in this class, A.J. has the best shot of being tops for production in Indy.

I think there are a lot of quality guys. I've broken it out in terms of tiers and WR type, or I guess what you would consider potential WR1, 2 or 3 types of guys. The 4s are a few guys I think could really make noise in the right system. 

The bolded red are the ones I'd use an early pick on. Any of those could be the "best".  IMO, we need an X, or an X/Big Slot combo with speed. We don't need a pure Z, nor am I a fan of the pure Zs this year. 

At X 

1 D. K. Metcalf

1 Hakeem Butler

1 J. J. Arcega-Whiteside

2 Kelvin Harmon

2 Miles Boykin

3 Preston Williams

3 Auntoine Wesley

At Z

2 Emanuel Hall

2 Terry McLaurin

2 Demarcus Lodge

2 Anthony Johnson

3 David Sills V

3 Darius Slayton

3 Gary Jennings Jr.

At Z./Slot Combo

2 Deebo Samuel

2 Riley Ridley

3 Parris Campbell

3 Stanley Morgan Jr.

At traditional Slot

1 Andy Isabella

1 A. J. Brown

2 Marquise Brown

3 Greg Dortch

3 Diontae Johnson

3 Penny Hart

4 Hunter Renfrow

At "Big Slot"

1 N'Keal Harry (could be X as well)

2 Dillon Mitchell

2 Jakobi Myers

3 Keelon Doss

4 Jalen Hurd

It all depends on who they got as their QB.

Give a great WR a bad QB and the production drops compared to having a good/great QB.

So, who's gonna be the best WR in this class... no one knows yet, as those mentioned are all talented WR's. But to unleash the potential to it's fullest, they need to have a QB who can make them even better and deliver spot on and catchable balls instead of duds. 

So, if the Colts somehow draft DK Metcalf, no doubt he would become one of the best, but if he instead got Josh Rosen, he wouldn't be as good. 

5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I think there are a lot of quality guys. I've broken it out in terms of tiers and WR type, or I guess what you would consider potential WR1, 2 or 3 types of guys. The 4s are a few guys I think could really make noise in the right system. 

The bolded red are the ones I'd use an early pick on. Any of those could be the "best".  IMO, we need an X, or an X/Big Slot combo with speed. We don't need a pure Z, nor am I a fan of the pure Zs this year. 

At X 

1 D. K. Metcalf

1 Hakeem Butler

1 J. J. Arcega-Whiteside

2 Kelvin Harmon

2 Miles Boykin

3 Preston Williams

3 Auntoine Wesley

At Z

2 Emanuel Hall

2 Terry McLaurin

2 Demarcus Lodge

2 Anthony Johnson

3 David Sills V

3 Darius Slayton

3 Gary Jennings Jr.

At Z./Slot Combo

2 Deebo Samuel

2 Riley Ridley

3 Parris Campbell

3 Stanley Morgan Jr.

At traditional Slot

1 Andy Isabella

1 A. J. Brown

2 Marquise Brown

3 Greg Dortch

3 Diontae Johnson

3 Penny Hart

4 Hunter Renfrow

At "Big Slot"

2 Dillon Mitchell

2 Jakobi Myers

3 Keelon Doss

4 Jalen Hurd

DaMarkus Lodge

12 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I'll say Isabella because you just know that he's going to end up on the Patriots.

Sure hate to see that but he seems like their next slot receiver. Can't wait for Brady and Edelman to be sitting on the front porch of their retirement homes.

On 3/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, MikeCurtis said:

here is our new guy

A really BIG target - 237 Lbs... WR??

Its says he ran a 4.7 at Combine, but ran a 4.5 at Proday

Not sure if this is a big deal or not....... seems like a lot of money

But.........    I if CB says its good....... he has earned MY BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT!

On 3/21/2019 at 7:32 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The only thing that made KC's Defense good was their pass rush and they traded Dee Ford and let Houston go. Their defense on paper looks awful. Good luck with no pass rush when you play Luck again.

12 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I'll say Isabella because you just know that he's going to end up on the Patriots.

14 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

At X 

1 D. K. Metcalf

1 Hakeem Butler

1 J. J. Arcega-Whiteside

2 Kelvin Harmon

2 Miles Boykin

3 Preston Williams

3 Auntoine Wesley

At Z

2 Emanuel Hall

2 Terry McLaurin

2 Demarcus Lodge

2 Anthony Johnson

3 David Sills V

3 Darius Slayton

3 Gary Jennings Jr.

At Z./Slot Combo

2 Deebo Samuel

2 Riley Ridley

3 Parris Campbell

3 Stanley Morgan Jr.

At traditional Slot

1 Andy Isabella

1 A. J. Brown

2 Marquise Brown

3 Greg Dortch

3 Diontae Johnson

3 Penny Hart

4 Hunter Renfrow

At "Big Slot"

2 Dillon Mitchell

2 Jakobi Myers

3 Keelon Doss

4 Jalen Hurd

Wonderful breakdown!!!

With the way teams move WRs around, it is hard to project.

You will have swiss army knives like Deebo Samuel that may or may not see the field for that many snaps and might have as much of a per snap production by being fresh and thus being efficient. If a WR has to stay on the field for anywhere close to 75-80% of the snaps to run block, run decoy routes and do their job of catching, chances are their efficiency will take a hit.

11 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

DaMarkus Lodge

IMO, he's a tweener with not a lot of outstanding traits. He reminds me of Funchess a bit, as he can make some crazy acrobatic catches, but drops easy ones thrown to his numbers. Limited route running experience due to OM's scheme. A lot of differing opinions out there on him.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Wonderful breakdown!!!

With the way teams move WRs around, it is hard to project.

You will have swiss army knives like Deebo Samuel that may or may not see the field for that many snaps and might have as much of a per snap production by being fresh and thus being efficient. If a WR has to stay on the field for anywhere close to 75-80% of the snaps to run block, run decoy routes and do their job of catching, chances are their efficiency will take a hit.

Yup, a lot of guys could end up somewhere other than where I slotted them. I slotted most based on either skill/measurement or where they played in college. Problem is as we all know, a lot of college teams put guys out there to get the most talented guys on the field, instead of where they should fit based on the NFL game lol. 

Regardless of X, Z, Slot, or combo, I just want a speedy vertical threat to keep TY out of double coverage. Ideally that's at X, but a guy like Isabella or Deebo could solve the issue as well. 

I just pray Cain comes back strong, and didn't lose speed. He has the size and speed to play any position if he can improve his route running and focus. 

AJ Brown is my favorite receiver in this draft. Isabella, Hollywood Brown, and Deebo have potential to be high volume producers quickly. N'Keal Harry has some Keenan Allen potential, although Allen was a better route runner coming out, but the body control is similar, IMO; Harry is probably better after the catch.

I'll say AJ Brown. I reserve the right to change my mind three years from now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Deebo Samuel went pretty far, didn't he? Both A J Brown and Deebo Samuel flourished in run centric offenses, while McLaurin probably was very productive because of his team trailing a lot and lack of good pass catching options for the Redskins.

D K Metcalf came along better later in the year once the Seahawks figured out Metcalf's strength is not in his hips that can be a bit stiff but in his leaping abilities and linear routes without too much change in direction, in a run centric offense where Metcalf got a lot of 1-on-1s. Plus, you have a good deep ball accuracy QB in RW, it ended up being the best spot for him, utilization wise.

Archived