Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

J.J. Arcega-Whiteside

My favorite WR in this draft class.  Gets open fairly easily.  And when he doesn’t get open, makes the contested catch.  And catches everything with his hands.  We have a couple excellent basketball players with good football skills.  This guy is an excellent football player with good basketball skills.

I dont know about the whole "gets seperation easily" but I've never seen a guy attack catching the ball like he does. I dont know if I'd take him at 34 but I dont think he will last until our later second since he is rising up draft boards

1 hour ago, twfish said:

I dont know about the whole "gets seperation easily" but I've never seen a guy attack catching the ball like he does. I dont know if I'd take him at 34 but I dont think he will last until our later second since he is rising up draft boards

The thing with him is he uses his body extremely well to shield the ball away from defenders... this is true not only on the jump balls he gets but even on the routes he runs. When he gets a step on a defender he is extremely good at stacking the defender and not allowing him to get back in the play. In general with him, once you are beat you are beat. 

The thing that made an impression on me is that JJAW actually had the highest catch rate on deep balls from anybody in this class and the difference between him and the second highest is substantial... This is what made me think he might be faster than he looks on tape + he has some of the best hands in the draft:

Here's PFF's video on him:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stitches said:

The thing with him is he uses his body extremely well to shield the ball away from defenders... this is true not only on the jump balls he gets but even on the routes he runs. When he gets a step on a defender he is extremely good at stacking the defender and not allowing him to get back in the play. In general with him, once you are beat you are beat. 

The thing that made an impression on me is that JJAW actually had the highest catch rate on deep balls from anybody in this class and the difference between him and the second highest is substantial... This is what made me think he might be faster than he looks on tape + he has some of the best hands in the draft:

I've been watching alot of pff and listening to their podcast, I like their assessment of him. Trying to figure out when to take him is the hardest thing for me. I typically try not to read into 40 times anymore, more so shuttle times, because all the time you get game speed vs 40 time. I'm not sure who took the time to teach J.J how to catch a ball but they deserve an award

• Like 2

Both of his parents were professional basketball players in Spain.  He brings a lot of basketball traits to his game.  In basketball, you’re always trying to create spacing, which he does naturally on the football field.  He also blocks out and goes after the ball like a rebounder.  Impressed with his film, but I’ve only seen the highlights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Similar skillset to Nkeal Harry, but less athletic. I'd rather have Harry or AJ Brown if they're gonna take a WR at 34 (being I don't think any of the 3 make it to the end of the 2nd).

I tend to agree, especially regarding Brown. That said, JJAW can be a hybrid WR/TE. He’s big, fast and can block. Put 15 lbs on him and he’d be perfect for that role, and a matchup nightmare for LBs and Safeties. 

7 hours ago, BOTT said:

4.49 my butt

That isnt' the Stanford number....   that's done by the NFL scouts in attendance.

These are HAND TIMES.    They are not the fully electronic (Olympic style) that are done at the Combine.      So,  you can add roughly .04.      So, I think this comes out to roughly 4.53.    

He's easily in the Mid-4.5's.    So, he's got a decent 2nd round time for himself. 

Not sure I see him getting past pick 59.     

I haven't even seen him linked to or connected with the Colts.    No meetings that I'm aware of.

Lots of good Day 2 receivers out there,  so at this point....     who knows?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I tend to agree, especially regarding Brown. That said, JJAW can be a hybrid WR/TE. He’s big, fast and can block. Put 15 lbs on him and he’d be perfect for that role, and a matchup nightmare for LBs and Safeties. 

If that is the case he might not even fit with the colts. We already have two of those.

48 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If that is the case he might not even fit with the colts. We already have two of those.

Yeah, for one more year. Both contracts expire after this season, and Ballard is building a team for long-term, sustained success, not like the Browns. Getting a guy that can fill that mold, or even a true TE, early isn't a bad idea, especially if it's BPA.

5 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yeah, for one more year. Both contracts expire after this season, and Ballard is building a team for long-term, sustained success, not like the Browns. Getting a guy that can fill that mold, or even a true TE, early isn't a bad idea, especially if it's BPA.

I don’t think Ebron is going anywhere in 2020.  He is turning into a major locker room leader. He is already tweeting about how the draft picks better come in and work hard if they want to be part of the family. Which is what ballard was talking about when asked if the locker room was ready to absorb a big personality.  We will see what funchess does. But every indication is they want him here for the long term.

3 hours ago, twfish said:

I've been watching alot of pff and listening to their podcast, I like their assessment of him. Trying to figure out when to take him is the hardest thing for me. I typically try not to read into 40 times anymore, more so shuttle times, because all the time you get game speed vs 40 time. I'm not sure who took the time to teach J.J how to catch a ball but they deserve an award

I know JJAW has the great deep catch rate,  but I don't see him as much of a deep threat on the NFL level.    He did it against college competition and the defenses Stanford faced weren't all that great.

I see him first as an end zone threat.    A red zone threat.    He knows how to box out at a very high level.    You can tell that he's played a lot of basketball.    He can pin a DB on his hip and outmaneuver him for the ball.     He wins a high percentage of 50/50 balls,  even when Defenses knew what Stanford was going to do.

When he wins deep, it's because he's sneaky fast.    Underrated speed.    But speed is not his calling card.    That's now how he'll earn his NFL money.     He'll also work the middle and not be afraid of safeties or linebackers.    He'll work the sidelines.    He'll find soft spots in the defense.    He knows how to read defenses.      But he's not going to run away from most DB's.   He may win many of those contested catches,  but the DB will be RIGHT THERE. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know JJAW has the great deep catch rate,  but I don't see him as much of a deep threat on the NFL level.    He did it against college competition and the defenses Stanford faced weren't all that great.

I see him first as an end zone threat.    A red zone threat.    He knows how to box out at a very high level.    You can tell that he's played a lot of basketball.    He can pin a DB on his hip and outmaneuver him for the ball.     He wins a high percentage of 50/50 balls,  even when Defenses knew what Stanford was going to do.

When he wins deep, it's because he's sneaky fast.    Underrated speed.    But speed is not his calling card.    That's now how he'll earn his NFL money.     He'll also work the middle and not be afraid of safeties or linebackers.    He'll work the sidelines.    He'll find soft spots in the defense.    He knows how to read defenses.      But he's not going to run away from most DB's.   He may win many of those contested catches,  but the DB will be RIGHT THERE. 

So,NCF, you’ve followed this guy like I have because we are both old Stanford  fans. Am I off base to think JJAW can be a kind of hybrid tight end? Seems to me he could absolutely kill it from the receiving TE position. 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

So,NCF, you’ve followed this guy like I have because we are both old Stanford  fans. Am I off base to think JJAW can be a kind of hybrid tight end? Seems to me he could absolutely kill it from the receiving TE position. 

Doyle isnt a burner, but he is open just enough to get the catch

Im not sure what to think about JJ.

I watched a bit more tape, and the guy seems to bump away the DB with his body to make the catch 

If he gets one on one coverage, he would be a handful.

I place him in the  mid to late 2nd, early 3rd

12 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Doyle isnt a burner, but he is open just enough to get the catch

Im not sure what to think about JJ.

I watched a bit more tape, and the guy seems to bump away the DB with his body to make the catch 

If he gets one on one coverage, he would be a handful.

I place him in the  mid to late 2nd, early 3rd

That’s where I think he’ll go, though some draft prognosticators have him as a 1st rounder. I don’t see that with all the WR talent available but we’ll see. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

A lot of people seem high on J.J. that I have spoken to. I wouldn't mind him or Terry McLaurin from OSU.

I always get a bit nervous taking anyone early that hasnt really produced at a college level

Terry M is in that category........ he started most games but didnt get many throws (vs others)

Rashan Gary ALSO is in that category (IMHO)... he had JUST 3.5 sacks......  He also was owned in

THE Ohio State game, (At least for PR) by what I believe were inferior blockers on OSU line

How does someone who cant beat College OL, beat an NFL OL?

I think Gary is a wasted pick for someone

I would have no trouble with McLaurin later, but not in round 1-2.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, NewColtsFan said:

On 4/5/2019 at 9:58 AM, stitches said:

Which pick would you guys suggest taking him with?

25 minutes ago, twfish said:

Which pick would you guys suggest taking him with?

For me....   if we live him, then I would think it would have to be pick 34.   Because I don’t see him lasting to pick 59.

But I personally would lean toward 59 and just hope.   I don’t think he offers good value at 34.    Think he’s more a guy who goes in the 40’s and 50’s.

In a deep class of WRs, I’m not wild about trading up or down for him.    If he’s there — great.    If he’s not, then we move on...  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For me....   if we live him, then I would think it would have to be pick 34.   Because I don’t see him lasting to pick 59.

But I personally would lean toward 59 and just hope.   I don’t think he offers good value at 34.    Think he’s more a guy who goes in the 40’s and 50’s.

In a deep class of WRs, I’m not wild about trading up or down for him.    If he’s there — great.    If he’s not, then we move on...  

If we took him at 34 I would be fine with it. I am a fan of his. He is very talented.

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we took him at 34 I would be fine with it. I am a fan of his. He is very talented.

He is very talented with a very unique skill set.   But pick 34 is nearly in the first round.    I think there will be other better players to take.

I really have nothing overly negative to say about JJ, except I think 34 is awfully high for him. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 4:15 PM, Hoose said:

Hoose, my friend!    Apologies for taking so long to get back to you.   Life kinda got in the way.

Honestly, I had never even thought of JJ in that way before.   I’ve always been focused on him as a number two receiver for some NFL team.

But I suppose there’s an argument for a team to ask if he’d put on 10-15 pounds and become a “move” tight end or H-back like Jordan Reed of Washington.  Hard to see why it wouldn’t work except JJ might not be interested in doing it.    Hard to know.

But a good outside the box thought that I hadn’t had before.       :thmup:

On 4/6/2019 at 12:11 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I always get a bit nervous taking anyone early that hasnt really produced at a college level

Terry M is in that category........ he started most games but didnt get many throws (vs others)

Rashan Gary ALSO is in that category (IMHO)... he had JUST 3.5 sacks......  He also was owned in

THE Ohio State game, (At least for PR) by what I believe were inferior blockers on OSU line

How does someone who cant beat College OL, beat an NFL OL?

I think Gary is a wasted pick for someone

I would have no trouble with McLaurin later, but not in round 1-2.

Agree regarding McLaurin. Lack of college production for a WR is a BIG red flag. Just look at the list of productive WRs in the NFL...all with college production. An exception might be a team like Georgia...that doesn't really throw the ball. But McLaurin doesn't that excuse this past season...OSU was a top passing offense...and his production was good not great. For me...I am not taking him before Day 3...especially in lieu of other WRs in this group.

Disagree about Gary. His junior season was productive and he was injured this past season. Production is not as important at pass rusher as WR. Look at a guy like Danielle Hunter...no college production. Chandler Jones and Frank Clark didn't have great sack numbers. Cam Jordan's senior season is right in line with Gary's junior season. All of those guys are top tier pass rushers in the NFL.

Meanwhile, you have guys like Werner and Jarvis Jones...who had monster sack totals in college.

Now there are plenty of guys who have both college and pro production...I just don't think it's a requisite...especially when they have traits that can molded by NFL coaching. WR is different...if you aren't consistently beating college DBs and getting big plays after the catch...that's a problem.