Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NewColtsFan

***If*** the Colts want to trade up in the 1st Round....

In another thread on another page,  poster @Doug Dew talked about what it would cost to move up.    And he did the math.    It was a good post,  but I think it's lost in that bigger discussion.    So, I thought it would be a good idea to bring his info here to a new and separate thread here on the Draft Page where more eyes can see it.

Currently, our pick 26 is valued at 700 Points.

If Ballard decides he has 4 picks in the first three rounds, so he has one extra to play with and he wants to target someone,  here is what it would cost the Colts to move up.   

Pick 34 is valued at 560 points.     That would give us 1260, which comes out to Cincinnati's pick 11 at 1250 points.

Pick 59 is valued at 310 points.     That would give us 1010, which comes out to Carolina's pick 16 at 1000 points.

Pick 89 is valued at 145 points.     That woud give us 845 points, which comes out to Pittsburgh's pick 20 at 850 points.

To be clear,  teams are not bound to the draft board points value chart.   But most teams roughly follow this.    This is an approximation for what a trade might look like.    If we trade up,  I can see Ballard trading one extra pick.    A 2 for 1 deal.    But I do not see him trading a 3 for 1 trade and losing 2 picks.    That would not be a Ballard-like thing for him to do.

Anyway....   the props on this post go entirely to Doug.    He's basically the author.   I just summarized it here for what I hope is a larger audience.

Tip of the hat to DD!        :hat:

Thanks for summarizing NCF!

A lot of interesting possibilities... This year's draft is very intriguing as a Colts fan.

Your summary spurs creative thinking and a challenge beyond who might or might not be available at 26.

My thoughts... IF CB decides to move up, he will target a player who is mean and nasty like QN. Personally I'm not biased toward offense or defense - just add another player who has that inner toughness to be the best. 

The more players the Colts have like that, the tougher "out" they will be in the playoffs.

If he does trade up I'm more in the camp that he will move up to 20 or 21 and hold on to the two picks in the second round.  I can see this if a top 10 talent falls that far.  We were considering Mosley in FA so maybe Devin Bush if he is there.  

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In another thread on another page,  poster @Doug Dew talked about what it would cost to move up.    And he did the math.    It was a good post,  but I think it's lost in that bigger discussion.    So, I thought it would be a good idea to bring his info here to a new and separate thread here on the Draft Page where more eyes can see it.

If Ballard decides he has 4 picks in the first three rounds, so he has one extra to play with and he wants to target someone,  here is what it would cost the Colts to move up.   

Pick 34 is valued at 560 points.     That would give us 1260, which comes out to Cincinnati's pick 11 at 1250 points.

Pick 59 is valued at 310 points.     That would give us 1010, which comes out to Carolina's pick 16 at 1000 points.

Pick 89 is valued at 145 points.     That woud give us 845 points, which comes out to Pittsburgh's pick 20 at 850 points.

To be clear,  teams are not bound to the draft board points value chart.   But most teams roughly follow this.    This is an approximation for what a trade might look like.    If we trade up,  I can see Ballard trading one extra pick.    A 2 for 1 deal.    But I do not see him trading a 3 for 1 trade and losing 2 picks.    That would not be a Ballard-like thing for him to do.

Anyway....   the props on this post go entirely to Doug.    He's basically the author.   I just summarized it here for what I hope is a larger audience.

My mock.

Well then when Devin White is there at 11 CB pulls the trigger.

Then at 26 Dex Lawrence is grabbed  and this Colts fan is giddy.

At 59 he moves up again a few spots and takes Tytus Howard.

At 89 he takes  LB Germaine Pratt.

After this comes a S, TE, RB Yada yada.

Now i don't think he will give up the 2-1 to move up that far in rd 1. It just takes to many good players to field a really good team.  

But if something like this happens "i would be ok with it'. HA HA. If i knew what CB KNEW.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Devin White is a consensus top 8 guy, right? And Booger says he'll go even higher than expected, so top 3? 

He's an absolute wrecking ball. I don't see him lasting to 11, and I don't see the Colts being within range to get him at any point in this draft, nor would I want to give up the resources to get him. He's an amazing prospect, though.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

My mock.

Then at 26 Dex Lawrence is grabbed  and this Colts fan is giddy.

At 59 he moves up again a few spots and takes Tytus Howard.

At 89 he takes  LB Germaine Pratt.

After this comes a S, TE, RB Yada yada.

Now i don't think he will give up the 2-1 to move up that far in rd 1. It just takes to many good players to field a really good team.  

But if something like this happens "i would be ok with it'. HA HA. If i knew what CB KNEW.

Huh?

hiw are we getting to pick 11?   We’d need picks 26 and 34 to get that high.  

Si how do you also have us taking Lawrence at pick 26?

Sorry, not following....  

The best trade up spot is No.21 if you don't want to give up too much, if a top 15 player on your board is there, like say Brian Burns

Seattle does not have a 2nd rounder and will take a 1st and a 3rd to move up from No.26 to No.21 is we want to make it happen. That is the only scenario I see Ballard trading up for, about 5 or 6 spots, giving up a 3rd rounder in the process.

I can also see a 1st and 3rd rounder swap with another NFC team Green Bay Packers, who have 2 first rounders, with possibly a 6th rounder for us if they want to move up from No.30 to No.26.

And lets put a potential trade back options based on the trade chart:

Option 1. Trade down to end of Round 1 - LA Rams trade

26(700)=>31(600) + 99(104) - this is a comp pick in the 3d.

Option 2 Trade down to upper part of R2 - Buffalo Bills

26(700)=>40(500) + 74(220)

Option 3 Trade down to middle-end part of R2 - Philadelphia Eagles trade

26(700)=>53(370)+57(330)

Option 4 Trade down for future 1st pick? How do you guys feel about this one? Lets say New Orleans love some of the QBs at the end of the 1st(Daniel Jones for example) and they want to secure him to be their long-term replacement for Brees, but want to get ahead of OAK, NE or some other team potentially trading up at the end of the 1st in order to get him. So they offer #62 + their 1st round pick next year. Do you take it? 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

26(700)=>53(370)+57(330)

Option 4 Trade down for future 1st pick? How do you guys feel about this one? Lets say New Orleans love some of the QBs at the end of the 1st(Daniel Jones for example) and they want to secure him to be their long-term replacement for Brees, but want to get ahead of OAK, NE or some other team potentially trading up at the end of the 1st in order to get him. So they offer #62 + their 1st round pick next year. Do you take it? 

There are a lot of options. I do like Option 1 but since the Rams do not have a 2nd rounder, I doubt they make that trade.

I'd take Option 3 with a twist - pick No.34 if Josh Jacobs is there and the Eagles did not draft him with No.25, so get both their 2nd rounders and give up our first 4th rounder in exchange for pick No.34. 

Pick No.34 and Pick No.145 for picks No.53 and No.57 (since Eagles will be the one calling, it can be in our favor)

Moving out of Round 1 has a bigger price, than just moving back and swapping first round picks, IMO. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yes, but only because we have #34 and I'm not in love with what will be on the board from 26-34.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes, but only because we have #34 and I'm not in love with what will be on the board from 26-34.

If Daniel Jones drops, it most likely means one of the Redskins or Giants or Dolphins would not have drafted a QB, IMO. So, in all likelihood, they may offer a future 1st rounder as well to move back into Round 1, which might be more appealing.

It's interesting that the Devin White example came up.  11 is the highest I could see Ballard trading up to and White is the one guy I wouldn't mind seeing him spend the resources on. Imagine him and Leonard there for a decade plus just ruining plays over and over.  It's my greatest wish of 2019 draft fantasies. 

7 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

It's interesting that the Devin White example came up.  11 is the highest I could see Ballard trading up to and White is the one guy I wouldn't mind seeing him spend the resources on. Imagine him and Leonard there for a decade plus just ruining plays over and over.  It's my greatest wish of 2019 draft fantasies. 

Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman, or Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis. Yikes.

Thanks again people on your insights on draftees.  I don’t study films as many of you but after getting the names I go to my draft magazines to review the players.  Lol! It’s also beyond my mental capacity to follow the draft board point system.  Hey I’m a proud product of public education.  Lol!  Thanks again people.  Oh I don’t think CB will trade picks unless it absolutely blows him away.  Again thanks people

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I used the draft calculator for my trade in my mock for the colts to move up to 18. It had the 18th pick as 900 points and 26, 89, and 129 equaled to 888. A few points off, but not unrealistic.

I think if your a team like the colts where you feel you are just one or two players away from a SB you pull the trigger to get your guy.  I would not complain if we gave up a couple of picks so we could get that elite player.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks NCF. 

I think what's also important to consider is to look at what teams are holding the picks we could possibly trade up for.  I think I mentioned teams PIT, BALT, SEA holding some of the picks.  In the context of moving up for Brian Burns, those defensive minded teams would seem to want to hold on to their picks to take a dynamic player like that.  If a team is in the market for a different kind of player, its much easier to make a trade, obviously.

I think all teams want to improve their pass rush, so if we are in the market for a player at a position of high demand, I think its going to be difficult to trade up to get that DT or EDGE player without overspending.  I don't see Ballard overspending, so I think with pick 26, we might be at the mercy of how the draft falls more than most years.  Also it increases the likelihood we go with a position that's sort of off the radar because the player is such a strong BPA.  TE, OT, or even RB wouldn't surprise me if that player is a really good player.

44 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think if your a team like the colts where you feel you are just one or two players away from a SB you pull the trigger to get your guy.  

This could very well be the logic behind a trade-up this year.    

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Thanks NCF. 

I think what's also important to consider is to look at what teams are holding the picks we could possibly trade up for.  I think I mentioned teams PIT, BALT, SEA holding some of the picks.  In the context of moving up for Brian Burns, those defensive minded teams would seem to want to hold on to their picks to take a dynamic player like that.  If a team is in the market for a different kind of player, its much easier to make a trade, obviously.

I think all teams want to improve their pass rush, so if we are in the market for a player at a position of high demand, I think its going to be difficult to trade up to get that DT or EDGE player without overspending.  I don't see Ballard overspending, so I think with pick 26, we might be at the mercy of how the draft falls more than most years.  Also it increases the likelihood we go with a position that's sort of off the radar because the player is such a strong BPA.  TE, OT, or even RB wouldn't surprise me if that player is a really good player.

You're welcome Doug....

FYI:    I tried to send you a private message and the Colts.com system says you're not receiving messages.    I wasn't sure if that was intended only for me,  or if you're generally not taking messages.

Just wanted to make you that the Colts.com system had notified you that mentioned your name in my post above.    I wanted to make it clear that the credit for the post was all yours,  and not mine.

The one guy I see dropping into the Colts’ range who would cause Ballard to make a trade is Brian Burns. If he’s still sitting there in the early 20’s I can see this happening. But only for Burns. 

Otherwise I see Ballard holding his position in round 1. 

My guess: if you see a trade it will be by a team trying to make a big Day 2 move by seeking pick 34 and giving up well more than the typical points chart numbers to get there. You’ll have teams seeking to nab a player that unexpectedly fell out of round 1. That seems like a perfect Ballard situation. 

24 minutes ago, Hoose said:

The one guy I see dropping into the Colts’ range who would cause Ballard to make a trade is Brian Burns. If he’s still sitting there in the early 20’s I can see this happening. But only for Burns. 

My guess: if you see a trade it will be by a team trying to make a big Day 2 move by seeking pick 34 and giving up well more than the typical points chart numbers to get there. You’ll have teams seeking to nab a player that unexpectedly fell out of round 1. That seems like a perfect Ballard situation. 

Yup...   I said about a month or so ago...   Burns strikes me as just the type of guy Ballard would love to get.   Ferrell might be a distant second.

Depending on how his board shakes out, I can see Ballard trading down for a nice offer.   This is a very hard draft to project from a Colts perspective.  

By the way....   the draft is three weeks from TONIGHT!!  

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

hiw are we getting to pick 11?   We’d need picks 26 and 34 to get that high.  

Si how do you also have us taking Lawrence at pick 26?

Sorry, not following....  

OOPS! OBVIOUSLY. 

Or, when he is still available at 26, we have pre-arranged a trade back there with next years #1 and ? for the pick.   :spit:

One shouldn't rush before the coffee kicks in. Can you follow that? I bet you knew i must have somehow been thinking it was pick 59 that got us there but you didn't dare to suggest it. Oh, and i really want Lawrence.   

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're welcome Doug....

FYI:    I tried to send you a private message and the Colts.com system says you're not receiving messages.    I wasn't sure if that was intended only for me,  or if you're generally not taking messages.

Just wanted to make you that the Colts.com system had notified you that mentioned your name in my post above.    I wanted to make it clear that the credit for the post was all yours,  and not mine.

I'll have to check my settings.  Even if I get into arguments with people from time to time, I never intend to shut down any access.

33 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

OOPS! OBVIOUSLY. 

Or, when he is still available at 26, we have pre-arranged a trade back there with next years #1 and ? for the pick.   :spit:

One shouldn't rush before the coffee kicks in. Can you follow that? I bet you knew i must have somehow been thinking it was pick 59 that got us there but you didn't dare to suggest it. Oh, and i really want Lawrence.   

No worries....  

We’ve all been there at one time or another.   I often write about posting when I’m tired is not a good thing for me.   And, unfortunately,  I’m tired more and more often.   Yikes!   :peek:

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

The second pick of the second round can be very valuable, teams trading up for a fallen star, as you noted.

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Thanks NCF. 

I agree completely.  Look at what it cost the Saints to move up to get Marcus Davenport. To get to pick # 14, they gave the Packers pick # 27 and a 5th rounder in 2018 plus a 2019 first round pick.  I think that falls into the overspending category which is something I have a really hard time seeing Ballard doing.  

I think Ballard will trust his scouts and his own eye for talent and take the BPA on his board.  

It would have to be a very special player for Ballard and the whole drafting crew to agree to trade up. Ballard seems to like having more than his share of picks in the draft.

In my opinion he will trade down before he trades up. That's been his pattern over his first two drafts.

I think he may trade up in a later round a few spots but not in the first round. It would surprise me if he did.

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think if your a team like the colts where you feel you are just one or two players away from a SB you pull the trigger to get your guy.  I would not complain if we gave up a couple of picks so we could get that elite player.

I don’t believe for a second the Colts feel like they are one player away from contending. You would never hear that from Ballard. 

16 hours ago, stitches said:

26(700)=>53(370)+57(330)

I think the trade value chart is a guide but not the Bible. (Not suggesting you think it is). It is hard for me to see Indy trading out of the first round and not getting a future first rounder in return.  The 5th year option is too valuable to not get one back in return. So scenarios 2 and 3 seem unlikely to me. 

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I think the trade value chart is a guide but not the Bible. (Not suggesting you think it is). It is hard for me to see Indy trading out of the first round and not getting a future first rounder in return.  The 5th year option is too valuable to not get one back in return. So scenarios 2 and 3 seem unlikely to me. 

That's a good point.  Depending upon how the draft falls, the player expected to be at 34 might not be that different than the player at 26.  So we trade 26 to a bad team to get a higher 1st round pick next year (and another pick this year) then just roll with 34 as our first pick this draft.

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's a good point.  Depending upon how the draft falls, the player expected to be at 34 might not be that different than the player at 26.  So we trade 26 to a bad team to get a higher 1st round pick next year (and another pick this year) then just roll with 34 as our first pick this draft.

Yep, hope for Daniel Jones to fall to No.26 (which would mean the Giants or Redskins or Dolphins did not go QB with their first rounders), and since the Chargers are looming around, one of the 3 mentioned above would gladly give up a future 1st rounder if they felt he was worth it for the 5th year option. 

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Yep... it's more of a guideline than a strict rule of course. In general it depends on the leverage each team has. For example, in most trades for a QB or for super high pick you have to overpay by the chart. The Jets overpaid last year to move 3 slots up.

I'm not sure how to value the extra year... it obviously does have additional value besides the pure value by draft position, but not sure how much more of premium you have to put on it. 

19 hours ago, Hoose said:

Is there a chance that Burns will be there at #26?

6 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I agree. You have to look no further than the deal Ballard swung last year with the Jets. He barely moved back in the 1st round and got an additional 3 second round picks. There is no way the return Ballard received would ever hold up under the value chart. So it really depends just how badly a team wants that certain player. IMO, Ballard won’t trade #34 unless the return is substantial.....such as a short move down from 34 plus an additional 3rd rounder. 

20 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Is there a chance that Burns will be there at #26?

You never know. Odds are that he won’t be. Thus, the need to make a move if the Colts want him and it’s not cost prohibitive. 

I have a feeling ballard is going to do something we don’t expect. Whether that is moving up or drafting a player everyone thinks was to early like Leonard. 

This team is going to be good and be drafting later in the first rd probably for years now. IF we want a elite pass rusher we are going to have to move up at some point to get one.

Why Brian Burns? I keep seeing that name, did Ballard hint at him, or did they visit with him? I think guys like Sweat, Ferrell, and Gary are all better pass rushers, and even a guy like Jachai Polite is similar to Burns. I think certain guys pick up unjustified steam heading into the draft, for various reasons. I don't understand why Burns is moving up, and guys that were right there with him a month or so ago, like Polite and Dremont Jones, have fell substantially? Is it just hype?

4 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Why Brian Burns? I keep seeing that name, did Ballard hint at him, or did they visit with him? I think guys like Sweat, Ferrell, and Gary are all better pass rushers, and even a guy like Jachai Polite is similar to Burns. I think certain guys pick up unjustified steam heading into the draft, for various reasons. I don't understand why Burns is moving up, and guys that were right there with him a month or so ago, like Polite and Dremont Jones, have fell substantially? Is it just hype?

They have met with him a few times.  There is some reasoning to think polite is soft. He apparently said he felt bullied in his interviews at the combine.

I REALLY don't want to give up either of our 2nd rounders.  I think there will be a TON of value in that range and the Colts are sitting pretty there.  But I would not object to giving up a 3rd rounder to move up several spots if the player they like is sitting there.

12 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I REALLY don't want to give up either of our 2nd rounders.  I think there will be a TON of value in that range and the Colts are sitting pretty there.  But I would not object to giving up a 3rd rounder to move up several spots if the player they like is sitting there.

I kind of agree. Just because ballard said the talent from the mid first round through the third is pretty equal.  I especially would not want to give up that 34th pick.