Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says 3 straight SB's

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Unfortunately,  some of that view has to do with the ESPN-ization of the world.   The idea that sports was practically invented in the late 70's when ESPN was born.   Or that sports was invented in our lifetime but not before (depending on your age) because there was little video or film back then.      It's a very unfortunate view of sports and life in general. 

Great post, with me I was born in 1971 so I really didn't start watching sports until the late 70's as a young kid and I thought the 80's was just so damn great. That is when I grew up though and around the mid 80's I became a Colts and Cubs fan. To me that doesn't take away from the Unitas' or players like Graham or Jim Brown who are among the all-time greats and it shouldn't. What the Packers accomplished in the 60's does get overlooked as well. They had a tremendous run of winning. Lombardi is still arguably the greatest coach ever.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great post, with me I was born in 1971 so I really didn't start watching sports until the late 70's as a young kid and I thought the 80's was just so damn great. That is when I grew up though and around the mid 80's I became a Colts and Cubs fan. To me that doesn't take away from the Unitas' or players like Graham or Jim Brown who are among the all-time greats and it shouldn't. What the Packers accomplished in the 60's does get overlooked as well. They had a tremendous run of winning. Lombardi is still arguably the greatest coach ever.

I am fortunate enough to have seen those Packers and remember as well as the Unitas led Colts , seen Butkus and Sayers with the Bears . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

I am fortunate enough to have seen those Packers and remember as well as the Unitas led Colts , seen Butkus and Sayers with the Bears .

Great stuff brother, the Bears had a lot of great players back then. It is sad Sayers got injured. He was the Barry Sanders back then for a short time. Butkus was a mean dude that loved crushing players lmao and he ranks among the top 25 players of all-time by many.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Only to understand there's no official position, or narrative by either ESPN or the NFL Network.

Well... there is an official position by ESPN, NFL Network, and every other media outlet:  Get clicks/views/ratings.

I understand you come from the media world, so you get a little defensive when people bash the media as a whole, but executives nowadays are pretty liberal with how their employees get those views.  The truth gets spun, slanted, and shaded to get people to click on headlines.

If painting Irsay in an unfavorable view, or bashing Jerry Jones, or Dan Snyder, or Robert Kraft gets views ($$$), then that's what is going to happen, even though most of the executives and staff don't agree with the stance.

If people get fed up with the spinning, slanting, and shading of the truth because they feel like they are constantly being baited into clicking on articles, they are going to start making generalizations about the media as a whole, and it isn't undeserving.  Irresponsible headline writing is becoming an art.  :(

• Thanks 1

Whenever people say stuff like this... I just face palm. You're acting like Luck has never played in a playoff game before. Do you not remember the KC game from a few years ago?? There was a lot wrong with the Colts on this KC game, and it wasn't just on Luck. To me, there has been no indication or reason to believe that Luck is scared or has issues with being in the playoff spotlight, cause he's definitely proved himself over the years. 

Unfortunately the #1 goal for the media is to keep people's interest.

For example, they could repeatedly comment that "Big News about Reggie Miller coming up" for the entire 30 minutes only for that news to end up being something silly like "Reggie was seen drinking Pepsi instead of Coke"

I don't how many times I've seen them play up some story that they knew would keep people watching only for the actual story to be insignificant.

It's no different then this twisting of what Irsay said.  They are just trying to get people to click the link or watch the segment.  Gets viewership and leads to more ad $$$.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iuswingman said:

Unfortunately the #1 goal for the media is to keep people's interest.

For example, they could repeatedly comment that "Big News about Reggie Miller coming up" for the entire 30 minutes only for that news to end up being something silly like "Reggie was seen drinking Pepsi instead of Coke"

I don't how many times I've seen them play up some story that they knew would keep people watching only for the actual story to be insignificant.

It's no different then this twisting of what Irsay said.  They are just trying to get people to click the link or watch the segment.  Gets viewership and leads to more ad $$$.

Yeah, how much attention did they get when they reported that Reggie Millers was going to sign with the NY Nicks. How much Reggie loved MSG and would love to make that his home. haha

11 hours ago, BigQungus said:

Whenever people say stuff like this... I just face palm. You're acting like Luck has never played in a playoff game before. Do you not remember the KC game from a few years ago?? There was a lot wrong with the Colts on this KC game, and it wasn't just on Luck. To me, there has been no indication or reason to believe that Luck is scared or has issues with being in the playoff spotlight, cause he's definitely proved himself over the years. 

Everytime Luck has lost in the playoffs he has been a big underdog so it is not like he's choking in his losses. He has lost to the Patriots twice in Foxboro, lost to the Ravens his rookie season and the Ravens won the SB that season, and just lost at KC. Winning in Arrowhead isn't easy at all. People say Luck should've done better against KC because their defense was weak. Their defensive stats are deceiving because they had a great PassRush. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Well... there is an official position by ESPN, NFL Network, and every other media outlet:  Get clicks/views/ratings.

I understand you come from the media world, so you get a little defensive when people bash the media as a whole, but executives nowadays are pretty liberal with how their employees get those views.  The truth gets spun, slanted, and shaded to get people to click on headlines.

If painting Irsay in an unfavorable view, or bashing Jerry Jones, or Dan Snyder, or Robert Kraft gets views ($$$), then that's what is going to happen, even though most of the executives and staff don't agree with the stance.

If people get fed up with the spinning, slanting, and shading of the truth because they feel like they are constantly being baited into clicking on articles, they are going to start making generalizations about the media as a whole, and it isn't undeserving.  Irresponsible headline writing is becoming an art.  :(

Lucky....   (apologies,  this will be long to address all your comments)

I appreciate that from the outside looking in, it may look like I get a little defensive when people bash the media.    Quite frankly,  I don't care when people here, or elsewhere,  bash the media,  as long as they are correct in what they are saying.    I never care when the media has it coming,  and quite frankly,  they have it coming far more often than my comfort level can stand.

But where I do care about people bashing the media, is when people bash it based on incorrect assumptions.   Good headline writing is an art.   It catches the readers eye and makes them want to click and read.    Bad headline writing is counter-productive.   So,  you'll see something and it will look....   not quite right,  and sooner or later,  you'll be tired of getting burned and you'll simply refuse to ckick on the story because you think you've been had.   Honestly,  I spent 30 years in the media and I still get burned by a clever headline that I realize is bogus as soon as I click on it.    I hate that,  and I'm sure you to as well.   But I believe they hurt the industry far more than they help in the long run.

But, if we can, let's focus on the two paragraphs that you wrote,  that I've put into bold....

Look at part of this sentence that I've cut and pasted from your post.

"but executives nowadays are pretty liberal with how their employees get those views."

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this,  but that's not how the media works.    A story surfaces....  Jim Irsay makes reference to the Colts trying to be in three Super Bowls.   No one at any reputable sports media is trying to make Irsay look bad.   No one says,  "make Irsay look as crazy as we think he is..."    The story is assigned a writer and they try to write it as a news story.    There is no policy on the Colts, or on Irsay.  They're just trying to write a story as straight forward as possible.

Now, it's different if comments are made by the commentators.   Stephen A,  Max, Dan LeBatard, people like that.    No one tells them what to say.    They say what they want.     Just as Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd did before they moved to Fox Sports, and they still say what they want at their new home.    They're hired to speak their mind.    But there's no official position.   Nothing is passed down from up above.   The "suits" don't tell the workers what to say or write.

Here's another thing you wrote....

"If painting Irsay in an unfavorable view, or bashing Jerry Jones, or Dan Snyder, or Robert Kraft gets views ($$$), then that's what is going to happen, even though most of the executives and staff don't agree with the stance."

Sorry,  but that's not how it works.   And here's how you know what I'm saying is true.   How many years have these media outlets been covering the NFL?     In all that time,  plenty of people have worked there and left for whatever reason.   They got fired,  they got tired,   they wanted a different life or a different job...   all sorts of reasons.    And you've never heard of anyone saying that when they were working at ESPN or NFL Network they were told what to say, or told what to write.   All those years and where is the scandal?   When I worked,  I wrote for 30 years,  and no one ever told me what to write.

And I don't understand the part about "most of the executives and the staff don't agree with it."...???     First,  how would you even know who believes what?   And second,   it's simply not true.   The top level execs don't pass down views to the lower level day to day people.   It's not done.   And if it was,  you'd know about.   There'd be stories about it everywhere.    And there aren't.

Remember,  the NFL Network is owned by the NFL.   That means all 32 owners.  And ESPN is a multi-billion dollar partner with the NFL.    That's never stopped them from saying bad things about all the owners you listed above.   But if the owners thought the media was being unfair to them,  they'd complain to Goodell and stuff would roll down hill to network executives.   And yet, you don't hear about that happening. 

The closest thing to that happening is when people like Curt Schilling got fired for repeatedly violating direct orders to him to stop saying controversial things on air or on his social media postings.   It was a bad look for the company.  And he kep doing it and he got canned for it.  And few feel sorry for him.    He wasn't even commenting on sports.   A lot of his stuff was anti-Muslim stuff.    There's just no reason to go there.   He paid the price.   And you'll notice,  no other national media outlet picked him up.   If he's working in media, it's local and small.  

Nobody is trying to put the screws to Irsay.   If someone wanted to say something nice about Irsay or the Colts,  no one would stop them.   They wouldn't be violating any company position.   Life would go on normally.  

Make all the complaints about media you want.   I just want you to understand how the media game is played.   It's not quite as nefarious and evil as you make it out to be.   Of course, I only worked for major networks....  CBS, NBC, Fox...   didn't work for ESPN,  but I do have some friends there...   I can't speak to all the smaller media outlets that have surfaced over the years.   I'm barely in the media game anymore.   But as you might imagine, I keep a close eye on everything.  I have favorite teams to follow,  I like following sports in general,  and I like keeping an eye on the media.   Once it's in your blood,  it doesn't leave....    at least, it hasn't for me.

Which is why I'm often so unhappy and disappointed by the state of media in the world today...  this comment is even more pointed to news and entertainment coverage than it is sports coverage....  

If you have comments or questions,  please feel free to respond.    Same for other posters....    And again,  sorry this went so long. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you have comments or questions,  please feel free to respond.    Same for other posters....    And again,  sorry this went so long.

Maybe I came across as a conspiracy theorist, I'm not necessarily a media-basher, I just understand where they are coming from.  I didn't mean media executives are actively trying to pass their views down the line to their employees.  What I meant about them being liberal with how they get views is that they don't care so much about how the story is presented as long as it gets views and isn't going to get them in trouble.  They leave it up to their employees for the most part, as long as it's working.

As an example of what I was thinking of at the time:  I like Jerry Jones, and I think a lot of fans/players/fellow owners like Jerry Jones, but a lot of media outlets, in Dallas and especially in other markets, keep repeatedly beating the "Jerry Jones is a meddling owner" drum that paints him in a bad light, and even ESPN and NFL Network run with this, when the owners could probably put a stop to it on their own network.  I get it.  It's part of the inherent drama surrounding "America's Team" that so many love to hate, and Jerry is the one constant over the years, so it gets views.

I enjoy a lot of media, I just understand how a lot of people feel jaded by all the click-bait headlines like this Irsay 3 SB in-a-row thing.  It feels like a lot of the time when an article is about Irsay it has a "let's see what crazy ol Irsay said/did this time" feel to it.  I think Irsay, like Jerry Jones, has kind of been type-cast in the eyes of many, so lots of media run with that narrative because it gets views.  :dunno:

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Which is why I'm often so unhappy and disappointed by the state of media in the world today...  this comment is even more pointed to news and entertainment coverage than it is sports coverage....

I'm right there with you.  It feels like we're slipping away from Walter Cronkite and closer to the National Enquirer...

NFL Network spends more time talking about Antonio Brown drama than it does about the Xs and Os of the actual game...  :(

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Everytime Luck has lost in the playoffs he has been a big underdog so it is not like he's choking in his losses. He has lost to the Patriots twice in Foxboro, lost to the Ravens his rookie season and the Ravens won the SB that season, and just lost at KC. Winning in Arrowhead isn't easy at all. People say Luck should've done better against KC because their defense was weak. Their defensive stats are deceiving because they had a great PassRush. 

When you get in playoff mode a lot of regular season game stats is not a given. Teams step it up

especially, in what you thought was a weak area. When the Colts won the SB in 2006 going into the playoffs , Our run defense was supposed to be the Achilles heel, as to not going far in the playoffs because of being exploited in some of our regular season games.    

• Like 1