Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says 3 straight SB's

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Nobody's going to win 3 straight titles..

…..Every town thinks their 'title worthy' team should have won more than 1..

...but theres just too much competition.

But, to be honest, Irasy didn't say we'd win 3 in a row

Correct.    He said HE'D LIKE to win 3 in a row.    Completely different.

One is a forecast or prediction,  the other is a wish,  something to hope for.    Not the same.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You make it sound like these are the official policies of both the NFL Network and ESPN.   One of which is owned by the NFL, the other is a Billion dollar partner of the NFL.   

What you're quoting is the rants of one or two people and attributing them to the entire network.    Sorry,  but this is literally not true.    And there's not a comback that's going to make it true.     This is not one of those,  I'm entitled to my opinion,  unless you want to say it's your opinion that there's no such thing as gravity and the sun revolves around the earth.   Those are factually wrong as is your viewpoint.

ESPN has roughly 8-9 thousand employees.   More than 100 of them on the air.   The views of one or two people are not the views of the network.    Period.    Same with the NFL network.   Whatever some knucklehead on that network says is not the view of the entire network.

As for Irsay....   I too wish he'd resist the temptation to make such pronouncements.   And the last few years he appears to make fewer and fewer of them.    That's great.   But these things just have a bad look to them.   They're easy to misintepret.   And when they pop-up,  commentators run back to previous Irsay rants....     in short, he's his own worst enemy.    He's got to work harder to shake this image as a guy who is a loose canon.    I wish he would.

I like Irsay.   Always have.   But sometimes............

You may look at things different and that's fine.

I look at things by what I hear and see. What I see is the media loves to make issues over Irsay. Because he is not a good public speaker he makes a great target. This article this thread is about is a great example of exactly that.

You may like this type of nonsense but I don't have to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I look at things by what I hear and see. What I see is the media loves to make issues over Irsay. Because he is not a good public speaker he makes a great target. This article this thread is about is a great example of exactly that.

Awww.....let the media have their fun. 

For all his flaws... Jimmy Irsay is one of the best owners a fan could ask for... and "the media" knows it.

And look at the bright side.... at least he hasn't kissed his QB on the lips and gotten himself busted in a Florida whorehouse. 

:FlamingoDancing:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

And look at the bright side.... at least he hasn't kissed his QB on the lips and gotten himself busted in a Florida whorehouse. 

Good point.

A lot different than what a saint he was during deflatgate and how the NFL was too harsh on him. (while the Colts and Irsay were made out to the bad guys)

Just saying.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2019 at 3:53 AM, NewColtsFan said:

You make it sound like these are the official policies of both the NFL Network and ESPN.   One of which is owned by the NFL, the other is a Billion dollar partner of the NFL.   

What you're quoting is the rants of one or two people and attributing them to the entire network.    Sorry,  but this is literally not true.    And there's not a comback that's going to make it true.     This is not one of those,  I'm entitled to my opinion,  unless you want to say it's your opinion that there's no such thing as gravity and the sun revolves around the earth.   Those are factually wrong as is your viewpoint.

ESPN has roughly 8-9 thousand employees.   More than 100 of them on the air.   The views of one or two people are not the views of the network.    Period.    Same with the NFL network.   Whatever some knucklehead on that network says is not the view of the entire network.

As for Irsay....   I too wish he'd resist the temptation to make such pronouncements.   And the last few years he appears to make fewer and fewer of them.    That's great.   But these things just have a bad look to them.   They're easy to misintepret.   And when they pop-up,  commentators run back to previous Irsay rants....     in short, he's his own worst enemy.    He's got to work harder to shake this image as a guy who is a loose canon.    I wish he would.

I like Irsay.   Always have.   But sometimes............

NCF.  I agree with some of the sentiment here, but blaming Irsay's casual and imprecise talking pattern is no excuse for a professional media outlet like the NFL network or ESPN or whomever to not take the time understand what he meant.  To that point, I agree with @crazycolt1  that any misrepresentation by NFL Network was probably intentional by whomever decided to air that piece.  Not the whole network, but the spin was not a mistake.

There is an audience who believes certain things, like believing things about Irsay, that are fed by intentional misrepresentations as to keep the image going and feed the audience who lives to hear things a certain way. 

I don't think its up to Irsay to be more careful about how he speaks.  I think its up to the professional listening companies to be more careful about how well they listen.  But that doesn't feed the bulldog so to speak.  And in that sense, I think ESPN and others are guilty of preying on imprecise speakers like Irsay in order to keep their listeners and readers well-fed with a steady supply of red meat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

NCF.  I agree with some of the sentiment here, but blaming Irsay's casual and imprecise talking pattern is no excuse for a professional media outlet like the NFL network or ESPN or whomever to not take the time understand what he meant.  To that point, I agree with @crazycolt1  that any misrepresentation by NFL Network was probably intentional by whomever decided to air that piece.  Not the whole network, but the spin was not a mistake.

There is an audience who believes certain things, like believing things about Irsay, that are fed by intentional misrepresentations as to keep the image going and feed the audience who lives to hear things a certain way. 

I don't think its up to Irsay to be more careful about how he speaks.  I think its up to the professional listening companies to be more careful about how well they listen.  But that doesn't feed the bulldog so to speak.  And in that sense, I think ESPN and others are guilty of preying on imprecise speakers like Irsay in order to keep their listeners and readers well-fed with a steady supply of red meat.

Thanks DD for expressing my thoughts better than I did, much appreciated.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Doug....    I appreciate you weighing in,  but you and CC have a conspiracy theory bent that you both warmly embrace.

You don't seem to realize,  Jim Irsay is basically a part owner of the NFL Network that you two think is delibately messing with Jim Irsay.       You REALLY think that is happening?

If it were even close to true,  Irsay could end it with a phone call.    He'd call Goodell and Roger would call the Network and that would be the end of it.

I don't expect either of you to understand this.     There aren't words that are doing to get you to understand this.     There never are for conspiracy theory minded people.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:02 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I don't like it either.     And I'm not asking you to like it.

Only to understand there's no official position, or narrative by either ESPN or the NFL Network.

Both networks allow their on-air talent to basically say what they want about the sport they cover, in this case, obviously, football.    But you're holding a couple of comments made by 1 or 2 people against the entire network as if the word came down from executives at each network.     That's not how these things work.

By the way,  contrary to what you claimed in another post,  neither network came down hard on the Colts OR Irsay concerning deflategate.      The person and group both came down hard on was..........

Roger Goodell and the NFL.      That's who got blasted by the most by each network.

Turns out, Goodell ran a corrupt investigation and then destroyed evidence when it didn't turn out as he expected.     That's who took the brunt of the criticism.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doug....    I appreciate you weighing in,  but you and CC have a conspiracy theory bent that you both warmly embrace.

You don't seem to realize,  Jim Irsay is basically a part owner of the NFL Network that you two think is delibately messing with Jim Irsay.       You REALLY think that is happening?

If it were even close to true,  Irsay could end it with a phone call.    He'd call Goodell and Roger would call the Network and that would be the end of it.

I don't expect either of you to understand this.     There aren't words that are doing to get you to understand this.     There never are for conspiracy theory minded people.

I don't think there is any conspiracy.  I think imprecise speakers are an easy target for any reporter to "unintentionally" intentionally misrepresent to get bolder headlines.  If a lot of them in one company do it, then the company looks like they do it has a matter of policy.

I do think there is an audience for people who like to view Irsay as nutty or out there, and misrepresentations like this "conveniently" fill that need.

It could simply be the reporter himself thinks that about Irsay, and heard Irsay in a way and didn't misrepresent what he thought he heard.  But then he would have heard it through his biased lens, and that's just as bad.

The bottom line is that they reported or spun something more vibrantly than what was the case.  It was wrong, and we can speculate as to the reasons.  If you want to hold to the opinion that it was innocent, fine.  But I think a lot of people see it too much to think its an honest mistake.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Facts are not conspiracy theories.

I could go back and give quite a few examples of exactly what I am talking about.

I have been watching and listening to ESPN and the NFL Network since they have been in existence. They both have morphed into argumentative and controversial networks that thrive on exactly that.

The bottom line is it sells.

• Like 1

Interesting thread.   

I don't blame the OP for the title or the thread.   I too heard ESPN talking about this and thought the same as the OP.   

My first thought was that Irsay found an old stash of pills again.  

Apparently this is really a non story.   

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Interesting thread.   

I don't blame the OP for the title or the thread.   I too heard ESPN talking about this and thought the same as the OP.   

My first thought was that Irsay found an old stash of pills again.  

Apparently this is really a non story.   

Exactly- This was a non story that was spun into a negative story aimed at Irsay.

You said your first thoughts were Jim found an old stash of pills? Well it seems you are buying what they are selling without even reading the article.

50 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Facts are not conspiracy theories.

I could go back and give quite a few examples of exactly what I am talking about.

I have been watching and listening to ESPN and the NFL Network since they have been in existence. They both have morphed into argumentative and controversial networks that thrive on exactly that.

The bottom line is it sells.

Your opinions about the intent are stronger than mine. 

Why I entered the discussion was to point out that some were blaming the way Irsay speaks or his behavior to justify the tone of the story.  That who he is justifies the tone of the story, and that he needs to change how he speaks in order to change the narrative.

No.

The professionals who are paid to get things right should be responsible for getting things right.  They need to take the effort to navigate through how an imprecise speaker talks in order to report the situation, or choose not to report it at all, IMO.  

• Like 1

Even without the blue tinted glasses on, I can see this happening. New England will still be a challenging opponent but father time is undefeated and Brady/Beli are near the tail end of their careers. Kansas City regressed over the offseason. Let's see how truly good Mahomes is after an offseason of film. Time and time again we have seen promising teams make it to the AFCCG only to fizzle out the following season.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly- This was a non story that was spun into a negative story aimed at Irsay.

You said your first thoughts were Jim found an old stash of pills? Well it seems you are buying what they are selling without even reading the article.

WEll, he does have a history

42 minutes ago, Myles said:

WEll, he does have a history

Fueled by the misinformation of the media.

You said it yourself, a non story that you believed before even reading it.

It's been over 5 years since Irsay was arrested but you want to keep believing what the media spins feel free. It's your prerogative.

2 hours ago, Slick12 said:

I think if Jimmy Johnson stays with the Cowboys in the 90's, you probably would have seen 3 maybe 4 straight. Jerry Jones ego got the best of him. But they did win 3 in 4 years. 

I do think there was at least one or two more super bowl appearances with that team that Johnson had put together. Jones just couldn't stand that Johnson was getting the attention he deserved. IMO Johnson made the greatest trade in NFL history and struck lighting with that trade. In the end Johnson and the Cowboys ended up with 13 players after it was all added up.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I do think there was at least one or two more super bowl appearances with that team that Johnson had put together. Jones just couldn't stand that Johnson was getting the attention he deserved. IMO Johnson made the greatest trade in NFL history and struck lighting with that trade. In the end Johnson and the Cowboys ended up with 13 players after it was all added up.

That was an incredible deal for Dallas.  What a haul!

On 4/3/2019 at 7:02 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'll be honest, I didn't read the article, so I have no context there. I heard this on NFL Network earlier today, and that's exactly how they spun it, so I assumed there was truth to that, and Googled the article as a reference point. In my profession they'd call that lack of due diligence, and I apologize for any confusion. 

Don't sweat it man... anyone who actually cares about this back and forth isn't worth caring about in the first place... you have the hottest topic on the site... it's BORING around here... it's silly season and people who get all riled up over any message board must have nothing else going on in life.  Watch any mainstream news channel and you'll get far more misleading and downright lies about everything non stop.  I heard the same thing you did and it WAS presented all over the place as if he'd said it in the context you thought.  I don't hold you responsible because the sports networks are lying sleazebags.  NBC in particular has had it in for Irsay for a long time.  PFT is especially biased and misleading daily.  A simple comment letting you know you misunderstood his comment would have been legit, the rest is virtue signaling tripe.  

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Don't sweat it man... anyone who actually cares about this back and forth isn't worth caring about in the first place... you have the hottest topic on the site... it's BORING around here... it's silly season and people who get all riled up over any message board must have nothing else going on in life.  Watch any mainstream news channel and you'll get far more misleading and downright lies about everything non stop.  I heard the same thing you did and it WAS presented all over the place as if he'd said it in the context you thought.  I don't hold you responsible because the sports networks are lying sleazebags.  NBC in particular has had it in for Irsay for a long time.  PFT is especially biased and misleading daily.  A simple comment letting you know you misunderstood his comment would have been legit, the rest is virtue signaling tripe.  

You're really serious about this?

Lying sleazebags?

NBC, which barely covers the NFL,  I think they only have the Sunday night game on a weekly basis,  and they rotate in the playoffs and Super Bowl....   and they've had it in for Irsay for a long time?     Seriously?

PFT,  an analytics based company is biased and misleading....  DAILY?!?

I don't know where this nonsense comes from,  and I'm honestly not sure I want to know....   Goodness gracious,  what a trainwreck....

16 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Thanks. I'm just glad that someone else saw that basically every viable NFL news outlet was peddling that nonsense that day, so I don't seem like I'm just making stuff up. And yeah, a simple explanation and an apology should be enough, but there's guys on here that do nothing but comment on this site. They seemingly live to ridicule people on here, and I won't say what I really think about those people because then I'd essentially be them. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2019 at 12:03 AM, NewColtsFan said:

You're really serious about this?

Lying sleazebags?

NBC, which barely covers the NFL,  I think they only have the Sunday night game on a weekly basis,  and they rotate in the playoffs and Super Bowl....   and they've had it in for Irsay for a long time?     Seriously?

PFT,  an analytics based company is biased and misleading....  DAILY?!?

I don't know where this nonsense comes from,  and I'm honestly not sure I want to know....   Goodness gracious,  what a trainwreck....

You've never watched Mike Florio's PFT DAILY 3 hour show (2 on TV, one on Radio/Podcast)? Until just recently, you never watched Dan Patricks DAILY 3 hour TV Show? Uh, that was (until April 1st) 6 hours a day talking either entirely, or the majority about Football.   Additionally they were partnered part of the week with Chris Simms who did another multiple hour podcast about Football and he had a similarly negative view of Irsay.  He now appears exclusively for NBC, but back then shared his time with NBC and Bleacher Report.  But "goodness gracious" I guess 6 hours plus (as there are more football related NBC podcasts like The Daily Line and The Safety Blitz plus Malone talks a lot of football in addition to people appearing on NBC that I am not even counting) DAILY sort of uh.. I don't know.. refutes your credibility above just a bit.   

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 3:58 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Thanks. I'm just glad that someone else saw that basically every viable NFL news outlet was peddling that nonsense that day, so I don't seem like I'm just making stuff up. And yeah, a simple explanation and an apology should be enough, but there's guys on here that do nothing but comment on this site. They seemingly live to ridicule people on here, and I won't say what I really think about those people because then I'd essentially be them. 

Yeah, we ALL know who they are... don't sweat it and we ALL feel the same way.  I just happen to be willing to point it out because I don't need to validate my existence by getting "likes" on a message board.  Some people EARN them, but most virtue signal to get them just like they do on the rest of social media. 

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry but 3 Championships  in a row has already been accomplished by The Packers.

Once before the merger and then the first two after that, and don't give me any flack about it doesn't matter before the Name Super Bowl came into play. There was Pro football before it was called the Super bowl. Just as if they merged teams in the future from Europe  to play in the NFL and then changed the name to the World Bowl it would not take away from previous Super bowl winners. 

37 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I'm sorry but 3 Championships  in a row has already been accomplished by The Packers.

Once before the merger and then the first two after that, and don't give me any flack about it doesn't matter before the Name Super Bowl came into play. There was Pro football before it was called the Super bowl. Just as if they merged teams in the future from Europe  to play in the NFL and then changed the name to the World Bowl it would not take away from previous Super bowl winners. 

I won't give you flack because what you say is true in a way. It is cool you know your history but most people will not look at it the way you do. 3 straight SB wins will be looked at differently by most fans and the media because it has never happened in the SB era. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Yeah most seem to think that the NFL didn't exist till 1967 or so.

Players like Baugh, Graham, Luckman ect..ect.. are overlooked because too many disregard what they don't know or remember. 

All you have to do is look at the hall of fame list to find legendary players before the so called modern era.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Players like Baugh, Graham, Luckman ect..ect.. are overlooked because too many disregard what they don't know or remember. 

All you have to do is look at the hall of fame list to find legendary players before the so called modern era.

Oh sure, football has been around since the 20's. Jim Brown retired before the SB era and many consider him the GOAT.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh sure, football has been around since the 20's. Jim Brown retired before the SB era and many consider him the GOAT.

But there is not too many who acknowledge or pay attention to the history of the NFL.

Maybe that is why I don't get over excited about things that happen?

When you keep in mind the long history not much surprises you. haha

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

But there is not too many who acknowledge or pay attention to the history of the NFL.

Maybe that is why I don't get over excited about things that happen?

When you keep in mind the long history not much surprises you. haha

Yeah even most of Unitas' best years were before the SB era. Many people don't even talk about the 1958 and 1959 championships the Colts won. Those happened way before I was even born but I know about them :thmup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Unfortunately,  some of that view has to do with the ESPN-ization of the world.   The idea that sports was practically invented in the late 70's when ESPN was born.   Or that sports was invented in our lifetime but not before (depending on your age) because there was little video or film back then.      It's a very unfortunate view of sports and life in general. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1