Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says 3 straight SB's

https://www.google.com/amp/s/coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/03/indianapolis-colts-jim-irsay-super-bowl-3-in-a-row/amp/

Outspoken as usual, what are your thoughts? The team is definitely trending in the right direction, but 3 straight has never been done, so why even say it? Seems like unnecessary pressure and expectations, imo.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If I am not mistaken, this was spoken a while ago and the Pats fans were making fun of him as in moving the goal posts.

Yeah, he mentioned this last week at the owner's meetings. ProFootballTalk posted an article about it today because it's a slow news day and nothing of controversy to report. 

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/03/indianapolis-colts-jim-irsay-super-bowl-3-in-a-row/amp/

Outspoken as usual, what are your thoughts? The team is definitely trending in the right direction, but 3 straight has never been done, so why even say it? Seems like unnecessary pressure and expectations, imo.

I think your header of the thread is very misleading.

21 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

It's literally about an article where Irsay says the Colts can/will win 3 straight SB's...I can't think of a more appropriate heading. 

Irsay quote "You guys know, I will unabashedly say I'd like to win three in a row. How hard is it? I mean it's hard as hell just to win one".

Where did he say the Colts can or will win three in a row? No where.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Irsay quote "You guys know, I will unabashedly say I'd like to win three in a row. How hard is it? I mean it's hard as hell just to win one".

Where did he say the Colts can or will win three in a row? No where.

Alright man, there's one of you in every thread, argumentative for no reason. I made a thread to get people's thoughts and opinions on what Irsay said, I apologize that the heading wasn't as appropriately titled as you'd have liked it. 

• Like 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

Same story different year.  He's been saying that is his goal ever since Luck arrived. 

I just don't understand why he would want to put any more pressure on the team and organization than there already is. Now that they've had some success, the pressure is already mounting, and then you have a guy that is infamous for his comments and behaviors throwing some more out there. Just my opinion on the matter, Irsay is great at what he does, but he says more than he should, just let your actions speak you don't always have to be in the spotlight. 

8 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Alright man, there's one of you in every thread, argumentative for no reason. I made a thread to get people's thoughts and opinions on what Irsay said, I apologize that the heading wasn't as appropriately titled as you'd have liked it. 

One of me in every thread? You mean the one who took Irsay's comment as what it meant?

You added your own twist to what he did say and now what to make it an issue?

No. I am not the only one who actually understood what Irsay did say.

• Like 1

Irsay just can’t help himself from saying too much.  First...he better hope the Colts can string three playoff wins together.  Hasn’t happened yet in the Luck era. I think Irsay will be lucky literally to even win one Super Bowl with Luck as QB.  His KC disappearing act was disconcerting for me.  Can Luck put enough solid games together in the playoffs to deliver a Lombardi?  The jury is still out on that one. 

The biggest reason the spat’s won 6 is Belichick.

If the Colts win multiple SBs, it will be because of the way Ballard constructed this team and Reich’s play calling. 

Obviously, the players have to execute but other than some *ic play calling but other coaches, Belichick has been the biggest reason why the Pats have been so good for so long. 

I believe with Reich, we’ve got a chance to beat those sonza beeeches!

2 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

That IS actually a BIG difference in context.

Sounds like he was saying" all owners would love to win 3 in a row , if it were that easy."  That is a 180!from "Irsay thinks we can or will win 3 in a row.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

That IS actually a BIG difference in context.

Sounds like he was saying" all owners would love to win 3 in a row , if it were that easy."  That is a 180!from "Irsay thinks we can or will win 3 in a row.

I'll be honest, I didn't read the article, so I have no context there. I heard this on NFL Network earlier today, and that's exactly how they spun it, so I assumed there was truth to that, and Googled the article as a reference point. In my profession they'd call that lack of due diligence, and I apologize for any confusion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Not really i thought the title a bit misleading as well, especially if you don't read the full article...

Want does not equal will or can..

Lord knows that Irsay has done & said some wild stuff, so when something he says is taken out of context or given to what could be negative or outlandish spin, fans who appreciate what he has done for the Colts, the city of Indianapolis, & the state of Indiana might take a little issue with...

Just saying, its the kind of thing you expect from national media, not so much the fan forum...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Buck Showalter said:

Not really i thought the title a bit misleading as well, especially if you don't read the full article...

Want does not equal will or can..

Lord knows that Irsay has done & said some wild stuff, so when something he says is taken out of context or given to what could be negative or outlandish spin, fans who appreciate what he has done for the Colts, the city of Indianapolis, & the state of Indiana might take a little issue with...

Just saying, its the kind of thing you expect from national media, not so much the fan forum...

Read my above reply. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'll be honest, I didn't read the article, so I have no context there. I heard this on NFL Network earlier today, and that's exactly how they spun it, so I assumed there was truth to that, and Googled the article as a reference point. In my profession they'd call that lack of due diligence, and I apologize for any confusion. 

No need for apology. Thanks for info.

i hate how some try to spin every word Jim says.

• Like 1

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

No need for apology. Thanks for info.

i hate how some try to spin every word Jim says.

I work in Marketing, and it's essentially the same thing. They spin it in a manner as to generate the most marketable product (or information in their case). Irsay, with his past, is an easy target, and especially something that easy to spin into a controversial topic. It worked lol 

I'm actually very proud of Jim (not that he cares, haha).

But he has stepped back and let Ballard , and to some extent Reich as well, be the voices and faces of "ownership/management."  Ballard is a wizard at handling the media and fans and has given the organization stability, confidence, and professionalism that everyone is noticing.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Taking anything that the NFL Network or ESPN said about Irsay as factual is your mistake.

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Irsay just can’t help himself from saying too much.  First...he better hope the Colts can string three playoff wins together.  Hasn’t happened yet in the Luck era. I think Irsay will be lucky literally to even win one Super Bowl with Luck as QB.  His KC disappearing act was disconcerting for me.  Can Luck put enough solid games together in the playoffs to deliver a Lombardi?  The jury is still out on that one. 

The whole offense vanished  that game

42 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The whole offense vanished  that game

TY was doubled all game, we got down early and became single threaded, and Reich's short pass play calling was predictable. 

Lessons learned, get someone opposite of TY that can stretch the D, get a pass rush, and add a little k gun 4 vert (what Reich ran in Buf). 

It will probably never happen but winning 3 straight SB's would separate us from all the other teams in the SB era. Not saying we should be labeled the best ever but we would have a strong argument for it if we won 3 straight SB's. No team has ever done it. No team has ever gone 19-0 in the SB era either, so if we did that 1 year that would separate us from everyone else as well. I think with this regime if we got to 12-0 or 13-0 we would go for it. I can't picture Ballard quitting on a perfect season nor can I Reich.

I’ve always thought (hoped) Luck would get 7 (:lombardi::lombardi: :lombardi::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi:). A couple back to backs and a 3peat (:lombardi::lombardi::coltshorse::lombardi::lombardi::coltshorse::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi:).  But I’ll take a couple 1 offs, a back to back, and a 3peat to make up Luck’s Lucky 7(:lombardi::coltshorse::lombardi::lombardi::coltshorse::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi::coltshorse::lombardi:).  7 and Luck can still be the :goat:.  I’m with Irsay.  Go COLTS!!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I’ve always thought (hoped) Luck would get 7 (:lombardi::lombardi: :lombardi::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi:). A couple back to backs and a 3peat (:lombardi::lombardi::coltshorse::lombardi::lombardi::coltshorse::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi:).  But I’ll take a couple 1 offs, a back to back, and a 3peat to make up Luck’s Lucky 7(:lombardi::coltshorse::lombardi::lombardi::coltshorse::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi::coltshorse::lombardi:).  7 and Luck can still be the :goat:.  I’m with Irsay.  Go COLTS!!!

To be honest with you, if we win just 1 SB, I will throw a parade and be very happy. I want more but it is so hard to win a Championship in any sport. We have to get at least 1 though, the pressure would be off then IMO. Peyton only won 1 but still had a great decade as a whole. That 1 had to happen though.

8 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Nobody's going to win 3 straight titles..

…..Every town thinks their 'title worthy' team should have won more than 1..

...but theres just too much competition.

But, to be honest, Irasy didn't say we'd win 3 in a row

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I wish Irsay would just keep quiet. Embarrassing really.

The only way it should be embarrassing to you is if you believe the spin that the NFL Network or ESPN puts on it.

Both of those networks push the agenda that Irsay is a drug addict and has no control on what he does. ESPN even has gone as far as calling Jim no better than his father Robert.

If you believe that you are out of touch with the Colts and it's owner.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The only way it should be embarrassing to you is if you believe the spin that the NFL Network or ESPN puts on it.

Both of those networks push the agenda that Irsay is a drug addict and has no control on what he does. ESPN even has gone as far as calling Jim no better than his father Robert.

If you believe that you are out of touch with the Colts and it's owner.

You make it sound like these are the official policies of both the NFL Network and ESPN.   One of which is owned by the NFL, the other is a Billion dollar partner of the NFL.   

What you're quoting is the rants of one or two people and attributing them to the entire network.    Sorry,  but this is literally not true.    And there's not a comback that's going to make it true.     This is not one of those,  I'm entitled to my opinion,  unless you want to say it's your opinion that there's no such thing as gravity and the sun revolves around the earth.   Those are factually wrong as is your viewpoint.

ESPN has roughly 8-9 thousand employees.   More than 100 of them on the air.   The views of one or two people are not the views of the network.    Period.    Same with the NFL network.   Whatever some knucklehead on that network says is not the view of the entire network.

As for Irsay....   I too wish he'd resist the temptation to make such pronouncements.   And the last few years he appears to make fewer and fewer of them.    That's great.   But these things just have a bad look to them.   They're easy to misintepret.   And when they pop-up,  commentators run back to previous Irsay rants....     in short, he's his own worst enemy.    He's got to work harder to shake this image as a guy who is a loose canon.    I wish he would.

I like Irsay.   Always have.   But sometimes............