Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher Report The Clear-Cut Winners of NFL Free Agency

HOF19

On 4/3/2019 at 6:22 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Enough to sign the half of the roster who's contracts are up next year.

The UFA's of note are Castonzo and the 2 TE's . 

Include Geathers and Funchess who signed 1 year deals if you like.

I doubt they would sign Shread to another deal and AV will probably be at the end. 

Thus it's highly possible that they really won't be spending a lot of money retaining 2020 free agents ? It's even questionable if they want to spend a whole lot of money retaining Castonzo who will be turning 32 in 2020.

Kelly, AC, Moore, Ebron I think will all get extensions. Can’t underestimate the leadership Ebron has brought to this team. He is quickly becoming my favorite player.  We will see about Doyle and the effects he has on the team this year. 

I think there is a big possibility sheard won’t get extended. He will have to come back on a year to year deal now. Our dline has some age and we will be needing young guys to be stepping up the next few years.

17 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Time to move on from AC if possible.

Why. You people that want a different LT don’t understand the importance he brings to this team. Just look at how good this team was when he came back from injury. He can play at a high level another 3 years. He has never complained and except last year has never been injury prone. He has been the one constant for Luck.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Time to move on from AC if possible.

I think you see how he does this year. I'd take Tyler Roemer late in the draft, and see how he pans out. If he pans out and AC fades, you're fine. If he works out and AC doesn't fade, then you have a decision to make. If AC fades and Roemer doesn't work out, draft a T high next year. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Kelly, AC, Moore, Ebron I think will all get extensions. Can’t underestimate the leadership Ebron has brought to this team. He is quickly becoming my favorite player.  We will see about Doyle and the effects he has on the team this year. 

I think there is a big possibility sheard won’t get extended. He will have to come back on a year to year deal now. Our dline has some age and we will be needing young guys to be stepping up the next few years.

Ebron's your favorite player I guess you don't mind all the drops then and leadership is done thru example but he does seem to catch a lot in the endzone maybe it's because he doesn't have to run afterward. 

8 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Ebron's your favorite player I guess you don't mind all the drops then and leadership is done thru example but he does seem to catch a lot in the endzone maybe it's because he doesn't have to run afterward. 

He had ten or eleventh drops in 16 games. No i don’t come think that is a lot. Especially because he had so many targets. Guess what Edelman had around the same amount of drops he had. Ebron had plenty of plays outside the end zone. As far as his leadership you have to be dumb to not see it.

15 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I guess you didn't see one of the best catch and tight rope runs into the endzone last year either.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He had ten or eleventh drops in 16 games. No i don’t come think that is a lot. Especially because he had so many targets. Guess what Edelman had around the same amount of drops he had. Ebron had plenty of plays outside the end zone. As far as his leadership you have to be dumb to not see it.

10 or 11 drops in a season is very high.

The math is there...   if you are targeted with 100 passes and drop 10 or 11 then the drop rate us 10 or 11 percent.   That’s too high.    

Reich says he’s willing to live with a high drop rate.   But it’s NOT desirable.   You don’t want that from all of your receivers.   

Preferable is under roughly 8 percent.   Desirable is roughly 4-6 percent.   Ebron is a long way from that.   So is Funchess, which is part why he was such a surprise signing.   

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

10 or 11 drops in a season is very high.

The math is there...   if you are targeted with 100 passes and drop 10 or 11 then the drop rate us 10 or 11 percent.   That’s too high.    

Reich says he’s willing to live with a high drop rate.   But it’s NOT desirable.   You don’t want that from all of your receivers.   

Preferable is under roughly 8 percent.   Desirable is roughly 4-6 percent.   Ebron is a long way from that.   So is Funchess, which is part why he was such a surprise signing.   

So should NE fans hate Edelman. He had around the same as Ebron. I think drops for the most part are overblown.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So should NE fans hate Edelman. He had around the same as Ebron. I think drops for the most part are overblown.

At one time TY had his share of drops. No one was saying he needed to be replaced.

I think all receivers have a few drops at times in their career.

There is a fine line between drops and catchable passes.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

At one time TY had his share of drops. No one was saying he needed to be replaced.

I think all receivers have a few drops at times in their career.

There is a fine line between drops and catchable passes.

How so?   You're gonna have to explain that one

Ebron definitely has a drop problem. Advanced stats say he had 9, ranked first in drops, and 4th in drop rate among TEs. But.... he also was #1 in EZ target rate, one of the best in contested catch rates (2nd), and is top 10 in most productivity metrics, and top 10 or 20 in most efficiency metrics. 

So I can live with those drops given all the other upside. He has chemistry with Luck, and was a safety blanket given the lack of a legit #2 WR.

Funchess on the other hand has a drop issue, and is pretty mediocre in the productivity and efficiency categories. We didn't really change/improve Ebron's performance, we just used him more in the RZ than Detroit. IMO, Ebron was used brilliantly by the staff as a RZ threat. Funchess can be that type of guy too. I'm just not optimistic on DF between the 20s, which is our biggest need. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coltsfan66 said:

Here are the players who will be Free Agents after next season:

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/indianapolis-colts/

Please note that Kelly is on here, though Indy can exercise his 5th year option for 2020.

I would exercise the option.  I wouldn't extend him til he can stay healthy.  Great player but in the medical tent far to often

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

It's not hard to explain at all.

Some QBs are more accurate than others. QBs can have off days just like any player. The most consistent on target QB makes for a better catch rate for the receiver.  Just because a receiver gets a hand on the ball does not mean it is catchable.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Some QBs are more accurate than others. QBs can have off days just like any player. The most consistent on target QB makes for a better catch rate for the receiver.  Just because a receiver gets a hand on the ball does not mean it is catchable.

So true

the QB is often protected 

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I dont think non catchable balls are considered drops.  

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would exercise the option.  I wouldn't extend him til he can stay healthy.  Great player but in the medical tent far to often

If Ballard thinks he is talented enough for the future he will lock him up.

A broken foot and a concussion are no reasons to think he is injury prone.

42 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Because not everyone agrees what is a drop and what is a poorly thrown ball the same way.

Thats why the drop rate for the same player may be different with one website than another.   It’s a little like art.   We all see the same thing differently.   You might see a pass as a poorly thrown ball.   I might see it as a pass that should have been caught.  

Changing QBs doesn't not always mean a WR will improve. You have to look at the reason for the drops. For instance, Ebron's catch rate / drop rate didn't improve when he came to Indy, but his TD production improved dramatically because the the Colts doubled or tripled his RZ targets from his Detroit days. 

Funchess's problem has never been catching inaccurate or hard throws. His problem is his instinct to body catch the ball. That's why he historically has looked like a phenom with an acrobatic catch, then dropped the next one to his numbers. He's actually better when the ball is not thrown at his numbers.  

And uncatchable balls are not counted as drops. Advanced stats are typically very generous to the WRs when grading drops. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

Changing QBs doesn't not always mean a WR will improve. You have to look at the reason for the drops. For instance, Ebron's catch rate / drop rate didn't improve when he came to Indy, but his TD production improved dramatically because the the Colts doubled or tripled his RZ targets from his Detroit days. 

Funchess's problem has never been catching inaccurate or hard throws. His problem is his instinct to body catch the ball. That's why he historically has looked like a phenom with an acrobatic catch, then dropped the next one to his numbers. He's actually better when the ball is not thrown at his numbers.  

And uncatchable balls are not counted as drops. Advanced stats are typically very generous to the WRs when grading drops. 

Thank you 

8 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

That all depends on who is grading the drops and catchable balls.

Each web site have different numbers. You can use one web site to make a point while another web site can be used to make a counter point.

It is not an exact science as long as a human makes the judgment.

4 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Thank you 

doesn't mean that some stat sites aren't more generous than others.  NBC for example showing 6, and playerprofiler showing 8 drops for Ebron..... NBC uses STATS, which is pretty generous. They both show Edelman with 8, but disagree on Ebron (delta of 2). 

i'd bet however if you look back on the 8, you'd be fine with calling them drops. I believe PFF has him at 8 as well. 

3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

doesn't mean that some stat sites aren't more generous than others.  NBC for example showing 6, and playerprofiler showing 8 drops for Ebron..... NBC uses STATS, which is pretty generous. They both show Edelman with 8, but disagree on Ebron (delta of 2). 

i'd bet however if you look back on the 8, you'd be fine with calling them drops. I believe PFF has him at 8 as well. 

I have NBC showing 4 

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=28429&team=29