Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Howard Mudd tutored Washington OT Kaleb McGary, new Colts OLine coach Chris Strausser was his OLine coach in college.

I posted this information in the meetings/interest thread but I thought the info is piling up way too much to ignore the obvious connections. The Colts are already reported to have scheduled a private meeting/workout with McGary:

Also... It seems like Howard Mudd tutored Kaleb McGary during the pre-draft process before he took the Colts assistant coach job. It's also of note that the new Colts OLine coach Chris Strausser was McGary's OLine coach during his freshman and sophomore years in 2015 and 2016:

Here's Mudd at an OLine clinic talking about a pass-protection technique he teaches and he uses McGary as an example and says: "So you pro guys[this is probably NFL Oline coaches and scouts he's talking to] pay attention to this guy(McGary). He's pretty good.":

Take it for whatever it's worth. IMO there is a realistic change we pursue OT in the draft and IMO McGary is a very realistic target. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

I posted this information in the meetings/interest thread but I thought the info is piling up way too much to ignore the obvious connections. The Colts are already reported to have scheduled a private meeting/workout with McGary:

Also... It seems like Howard Mudd tutored Kaleb McGary during the pre-draft process before he took the Colts assistant coach job. It's also of note that the new Colts OLine coach was McGary's OLine coach during his freshman and sophomore years in 2015 and 2016:

Here's Mudd at an OLine clinic talking about a pass-protection technique he teaches and he uses McGary as an example and says: "So you pro guys[this is probably NFL Oline coaches and scouts he's talking to] pay attention to this guy(McGary). He's pretty good.":

Take it for whatever it's worth. IMO there is a realistic change we pursue OT in the draft and IMO McGary is a very realistic target. 

,Very good research. I could see him being the pick

9 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

But will he be there by pick #26? 

There will be some head explosions on here if they pick an OT with the first pick lol

I don't think the difference should be too big whether you draft him with 26 or 34. It's more of an optics thing + an additional year and one might argue, if you are drafting an OT who is going to sit a year, it's better to have him locked for 5 years rather than for 4.

13 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

The only problem with this is that #58 (McGary) is playing RT and we need an LT to eventually replace AC. My question is who is #72? He looks pretty good too.

I'm not sure if this is Washington practice tape(very possible), but if it is... the guy #72 is Trey Adams who was considered a 1st round LT prospect before he suffered yet another serious injury(I'm not sure if it was back or knee injury or something.. don't quote me on that), but he's returning to Washington after receiving a medical redshirt year for last season. 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm sure the Colts are looking at all options for pick 26.  If a higher valued guy drops, and their real targets for the pick are also gone, I can see Ballard picking any position outside of QB who is clearly BPA.

Yeah... I didn't mean to say we have to draft him at 26, but IMO if he drops a bit(or if we really have him ranked high) I wouldn't be shocked if we draft him...

CBS has him 70th, ESPN/Scouts has him 83rd, TDN has him as a 5th/6th, Matt Miller has him as his 14th OL and most recently mocked him in the mid-second. There's also plenty of talk about whether he's a tackle in the NFL.

It's likely that the Colts are interested, but probably as a Day 2 or 3 pick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Potential first rounder? Yeah hard pass. I know Castonzo is a FA in 2020 but we shouldn’t take a developmental LT that early. I also don’t think Kaleb is going that high. He’s the 5th or 6th best OT on most boards.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I don't think this guy is a LT. From all that I've heard he's a RT that may have to play guard in the NFL. I like him as a prospect but I just don't see how he fits with the Colts, especially if you have to take him early.

Don't get stuck on the 1st rounder thing, guys. It might not be the 1st rounder... but lets say he falls to 59 or 90. If this happens I would almost expect us to take him. 

Boiler_Colt, you are right about him not having experience at LT, but Ballard has stated multiple times that he wants the two lines to be 2-deep at every position. Maybe they think he has the versatility to play both guard and RT... this is a huge plus and I wouldn't rule him out just because he doesn't fit the perceived LT need going forward. Maybe Ballard extends Castonzo and McGary(or Little or Dillard or whoever OLineman we might select) becomes part of the desired depth of the line. Injuries happen all the time. If Ballard truly believes in what he preaches(and I have no reason not to believe that he does). I see no reason why he wouldn't make such a pick sometime on day 2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Don't get stuck on the 1st rounder thing, guys. It might not be the 1st rounder... but lets say he falls to 59 or 90. If this happens I would almost expect us to take him. 

Boiler_Colt, you are right about him not having experience at LT, but Ballard has stated multiple times that he wants the two lines to be 2-deep at every position. Maybe they think he has the versatility to play both guard and RT... this is a huge plus and I wouldn't rule him out just because he doesn't fit the perceived LT need going forward. Maybe Ballard extends Castonzo and McGary(or Little or Dillard or whoever OLineman we might select) becomes part of the desired depth of the line. Injuries happen all the time. If Ballard truly believes in what he preaches(and I have no reason not to believe that he does). I see no reason why he wouldn't make such a pick sometime on day 2. 

That’s still too early. He sounds like a 4th round or later prospect. Miller seems to be the only one that even thinks he’s a day 2 guy. I’d rather them pass and get Max Sharping in the 4th. He’s got the same floor and is probably a better athlete.

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s still too early. He sounds like a 4th round or later prospect. Miller seems to be the only one that even thinks he’s a day 2 guy. I’d rather them pass and get Max Sharping in the 4th. He’s got the same floor and is probably a better athlete.

McGary tested extremely well in the combine even for a tackle. Better than Sharping in every single test except for the bench press... 

Look at his web:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/kaleb-mcgary

The problem is his arms are kind of short... that didn't stop them from putting Braden Smith at tackle, though... so... I don't know. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stitches said:

McGary tested extremely well in the combine even for a tackle. Better than Sharping in every single test except for the bench press... 

Look at his web:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/kaleb-mcgary

The problem is his arms are kind of short... that didn't stop them from putting Braden Smith at tackle, though... so... I don't know. 

To me he feels like pick 34 or 59.    Not pick 26.    I can see him being a developmental guy his first year.   Then, perhaps he starts at RT in 2020 while Smith gets kicked inside and Glowinski could find himself getting traded.

He's not a future LT.   At all.

But he could play on the right side.   But that would require a series of moves down the road.    AC would get re-signed and life would go on.

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

At this point last year,  some guy whose last name was Leonard was viewed as a 4th or 5th round guy.    

14 hours ago, Superman said:

CBS has him 70th, ESPN/Scouts has him 83rd, TDN has him as a 5th/6th, Matt Miller has him as his 14th OL and most recently mocked him in the mid-second. There's also plenty of talk about whether he's a tackle in the NFL.

It's likely that the Colts are interested, but probably as a Day 2 or 3 pick.

Daneil Jeremiah, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay all have the kid in the mid to late-40's.

He appears to be a Day 2 guy, and perhaps even a Round 2 kid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Daneil Jeremiah, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay all have the kid in the mid to late-40's.

Does McShay have rankings different from Scouts Inc on ESPN?

Edit: By the way, I don't personally know enough about McGary to have a read on his draft stock. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Does McShay have rankings different from Scouts Inc on ESPN?

Edit: By the way, I don't personally know enough about McGary to have a read on his draft stock. 

No.   McShay and two other former college players ARE Scouts Inc.   They do the evaluations and the rankings.   If there’s more than those three guys, I’m unaware of it.

In fact,  the two sidekicks are due for their moment in the sun soon.   Each year McShay has them do a 2 or 3 round mock like he and Mel sometimes do.   Where they mock the rounds by going every other pick, back and forth. 

BTW,   McGary has a long and difficult story to success (he’s a late bloomer) .which includes the family home burning down and he and his family living in an RV for his senior year of high school.   McGary is such a likeable kid he’s showing up on the NFL Network once a week to update everyone on how things are going.   An articulate and very genuine kid that’s very easy to root for.   I can easily see Mudd and and Strausser pounding the table for him at 34.   Perhaps he spends a year learning his trade then CB trades Glowinski, slides Smith to guard and we install McGary as the new right tackle in 2020?  

Just thinking out loud....

PS—.  I see that you have McGary with a Scouts inc ranking in the 80’s. That’s either an old ranking that has been updated, or you’ve accidentally confused his grade with his ranking. His grade is in the 80s.  Just wanted  to clarify. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

PS—.  I see that you have McGary with a Scouts inc ranking in the 80’s. That’s either an old ranking that has been updated, or you’ve accidentally confused his grade with his ranking. His grade is in the 80s.  Just wanted  to clarify. 

That's exactly what happened. Grade is 83, ranking is 48. I was looking at the wrong column, that's where the whole confusion came from.

• Thanks 1

On April 3, 2019 at 8:30 AM, stitches said:

I don't think the difference should be too big whether you draft him with 26 or 34. It's more of an optics thing + an additional year and one might argue, if you are drafting an OT who is going to sit a year, it's better to have him locked for 5 years rather than for 4.

I'm not sure if this is Washington practice tape(very possible), but if it is... the guy #72 is Trey Adams who was considered a 1st round LT prospect before he suffered yet another serious injury(I'm not sure if it was back or knee injury or something.. don't quote me on that), but he's returning to Washington after receiving a medical redshirt year for last season. 

Yeah... I didn't mean to say we have to draft him at 26, but IMO if he drops a bit(or if we really have him ranked high) I wouldn't be shocked if we draft him...

Adams is a guy with a lot of upside, I wish he was in this year's draft for us to snag. His injuries were ACL in '17 and a back surgery in '18. 

On 4/3/2019 at 8:11 AM, lollygagger8 said:

But will he be there by pick #26? 

There will be some head explosions on here if they pick an OT with the first pick lol

On 4/3/2019 at 9:01 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Potential first rounder? Yeah hard pass. I know Castonzo is a FA in 2020 but we shouldn’t take a developmental LT that early. I also don’t think Kaleb is going that high. He’s the 5th or 6th best OT on most boards.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:41 AM, NewColtsFan said:

To me he feels like pick 34 or 59.    Not pick 26.    I can see him being a developmental guy his first year.   Then, perhaps he starts at RT in 2020 while Smith gets kicked inside and Glowinski could find himself getting traded.

But he could play on the right side.   But that would require a series of moves down the road.    AC would get re-signed and life would go on.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:45 AM, NewColtsFan said:

At this point last year,  some guy whose last name was Leonard was viewed as a 4th or 5th round guy.    

Chris Landry has him-

37. AJ BROWN–WR–OLE MISS
38. DALTON RISNER–ORT–KANSAS STATE
39. DANIEL JONES–QB–DUKE
40. KALEB MCGARY–OT–WASHINGTON
41. MILES SANDERS–RB–PENN STATE
42. L.J. COLLIER–DE/OB–TCU
43. JAYLON FERGUSON–DE/OB–LOUISIANA TECH (C)

That's early 2nd round territory.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Chris Landry has him-

37. AJ BROWN–WR–OLE MISS
38. DALTON RISNER–ORT–KANSAS STATE
39. DANIEL JONES–QB–DUKE
40. KALEB MCGARY–OT–WASHINGTON
41. MILES SANDERS–RB–PENN STATE
42. L.J. COLLIER–DE/OB–TCU
43. JAYLON FERGUSON–DE/OB–LOUISIANA TECH (C)

That's early 2nd round territory.

I think it's possible I may have misjudged his future position.   Zierlein has him as a future RT.   I thought Mel and Todd do too.    But I saw some blurb in some story in the last week that says his advanced stats based on his combine testing was very,  very good.    They implied he might be a LT in the making.   Wasn't definitive,  but I wanted to comment here and hedge my bet.   Maybe there's more here than meets the eye?

Either way,  right or left side,  his stock appears to be rising.....

Has to be a guy that can play LT (and potentially at a high level long-term) if they are drafting an OL player early. That essentially means they have every position on the OL backed up...given Smith's versatility. But if they are going this route...I would hope it's for a player that slides in the draft. Just too many good prospects at other positions that have more immediate need.

• Like 1

Why is that?  I'm just curious.  I honestly don't know why some guys can play RT but not LT.  I remember Nelson playing RG in the Pro-Bowl, and I've always assumed Gs and Ts were kind of side-flexible, you just wanted the best pass-blockers on the blind-side.

Is it their physical measurables?  Or because Luck is right-handed so the left side is his blindside?

I figured with elite pass-rushers lining up on both sides nowadays, like Von Miller and Khalil Mack, both RT and LT would have to be good pass-blockers.

Thanks in advance!  :hat:

50 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Why is that?  I'm just curious.  I honestly don't know why some guys can play RT but not LT.  I remember Nelson playing RG in the Pro-Bowl, and I've always assumed Gs and Ts were kind of side-flexible, you just wanted the best pass-blockers on the blind-side.

Is it their physical measurables?  Or because Luck is right-handed so the left side is his blindside?

I figured with elite pass-rushers lining up on both sides nowadays, like Von Miller and Khalil Mack, both RT and LT would have to be good pass-blockers.

If you're an okay tackle but struggle with speed rushers or have limited length, lateral movement or agility, most teams are okay with you playing RT. (Think Jack Mewhort before he went completely stiff.) Most offenses tend to be "right handed." Their strong side formations favor the right side, so the TE will be on the right, or the FB, or the slot receiver; not sure if this is done consciously or not. It's also the front side for the QB, so when he takes his drop, he usually opens up to the right, since he throws with his right hand. That's why the LT is called the blindside blocker, because the QB will tend to have his back to the left side of the formation. Offenses are also more likely to cut block the front side rusher on quick pass plays.

So teams tend to look for players with greater length, better lateral movement, knee bend, agility, who can handle good pass rushers one-on-one, and they put them at LT where they can protect the side of the field that the QB has his back to. 

There are other considerations when it comes to switching players from one side to the other, like footwork, muscle memory, etc. I don't think it's as big of a concern on the interior, but pass block sets are critical at tackle. Ideally, you'd line up the same five guys in the same spots every down, but that's usually not possible. Position flexibility is the best way for some guys to make the final roster, especially the game day roster.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

If you're an okay tackle but struggle with speed rushers or have limited length, lateral movement or agility, most teams are okay with you playing RT. (Think Jack Mewhort before he went completely stiff.) Most offenses tend to be "right handed." Their strong side formations favor the right side, so the TE will be on the right, or the FB, or the slot receiver; not sure if this is done consciously or not. It's also the front side for the QB, so when he takes his drop, he usually opens up to the right, since he throws with his right hand. That's why the LT is called the blindside blocker, because the QB will tend to have his back to the left side of the formation. Offenses are also more likely to cut block the front side rusher on quick pass plays.

So teams tend to look for players with greater length, better lateral movement, knee bend, agility, who can handle good pass rushers one-on-one, and they put them at LT where they can protect the side of the field that the QB has his back to. 

There are other considerations when it comes to switching players from one side to the other, like footwork, muscle memory, etc. I don't think it's as big of a concern on the interior, but pass block sets are critical at tackle. Ideally, you'd line up the same five guys in the same spots every down, but that's usually not possible. Position flexibility is the best way for some guys to make the final roster, especially the game day roster.

THIS!!!!!!!

WHAT HE SAID!

Oh, and you’re welcome!   :hat:

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

{snip}

Great info from Superman.

Geoff Schwartz says it's not easy for most (some might do it well) to switch.  For him, he says

"I had to switch from the right side to the left side (LG) a couple times in my career. It always went bad. ALWAYS. I was never comfortable at left guard. I’d always punch like I was at right tackle and when I was being bull-rushed, I’d switch my stagger to anchor the bull like a right guard, thus allowing myself to get beat inside."

Josh Sitton says switching sides is like “trying to wipe your :edit: *behind* with the other hand.”

Geoff further states (going from tackle to guard)-

"If an offensive tackle has good hands, generally has good movement skills but might lack some foot quickness to play tackle, then moving inside could be productive. If an offensive tackle is struggling with his strike and punch location, plus has bad feet, then moving inside is a no-go. Things happen fast at guard. Your hands must be ready for action now. And if you miss with your hands, your base better be good so you’re able to recover."

Makes me appreciate the flexible/multi position OL guys.  Just like a top tier 'utility' baseball player.

• Like 3

On 4/9/2019 at 7:42 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

LCF...

I don’t know how much if this thread you’ve read...   but elsewhere here I wrote something that may or may not interest you.   

I think theres a decent chance that I’m wrong on my assessment.   McGary apparently tested much better at the Combine than I realized, especially from an advanced metrics level.   His performance may change the way teams see him.   He may now be viewed as a guy who might need a year of top NFL coaching before he moves to the left side.   I believe he played mostly on the right side. 

No sure he’ll even be available to us at pick 34?  

Anyway, just wanted to add this to Superman’s excellent post to you. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 11:43 AM, Superman said:

muscle memory,

23 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Josh Sitton says switching sides is like “trying to wipe your :edit: *behind* with the other hand.”

:funny:

This actually makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

I've been right-hand-dominant my whole life and never realized how little I used my left hand/arm until I was in my early 20s in college and started having muscle issues in my right hand/arm/shoulder/neck from using the computer mouse with my right arm so much.

I decided to try and "balance" my muscles by doing more things with my left arm that I had traditionally always done with my right.  I switched the mouse to the left side of the keyboard and taught myself how to right/left click with the opposite fingers, started brushing my teeth with my left arm, even wiped my *behind* with my left hand.  haha

It amazed me how much muscle memory it takes for simple things that I would do with my right hand without any thought whatsoever.  I even tried to play soccer left-footed, and I had to slow way down and think step-by-step what I was trying to do with my left side what I had always just subconsciously done with my right.  Just trying to brush my teeth with my left hand for the first time was a challenge, and I still don't have the small-motor-skills to do things like write or use chopsticks with my left hand.

Working on my footwork just to kick a soccer ball left-footed was like going back to kindergarten.  I can only imagine what it must be like for an OLineman that's always played on the right side, to have to literally switch everything they do from right-to-left...

• Like 1

Smith gets kicked inside and Glowinski could find himself getting traded.

Really?

If you payed attention to what ballard preaches he says he wants 2 Deep across the Lines. 

Even though Glowinski makes starter money he would give us that quality backup that ballard preaches.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:04 AM, bertjones7 said:

He had the highest athletic scores of any OL in this class

Thanks for this breakdown.....    I really was wrong in my initial assessment that McGary is not a left tackle.     With these marks,  he might very well be considered one by a good number of teams.    And maybe the Colts are one of them.

I confess I'm a bit surprised that his weight of 317 has a yellow score that I assume to mean OK to good,  but not great and more would be better.     That's my read of it.     I'd beg to differ on that.

McGary is a late riser....   and his testing and private workouts make me wonder if he's being viewed as a possible surprise first round pick?     My instincts say......   Yes!

My guess is he'll be there at 34. With Howard Mudd being his #1 fan, would it shock anyone if this guy is taken by the Colts at that point? I'm not sure what to think, given that a top WR or S will also be there at 34, but this kind of pick fits with the Ballard blueprint. Build the lines on both sides and you become a team with whom to be reckoned.