Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts claim Safety Kindred

Mr.Debonair

I like this. From what I've read he's about as good a backup as you can have at safety in case Geathers goes down.

I don't necessarily think this means Ballard avoids Safety in the draft if he really likes a certain guy at a certain pick, but we'll see.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Not sure what to say about this signing... 

Don't know him and only 17 games in 3 seasons... not a starter

Played in 42 games and started 17 games in the past 3 seasons.  Former 4th round pick from TCU.

He's got good size at 5'10" 210 lbs.  

He ran a 4.5 40 coming out of college.  He broke his collarbone 3 days before the start of his senior year, but played through the injury and was selected first team All-Big 12.

He's a thumper and is a pretty strong guy (17 reps of 225 at his pro day).

His biggest issue on his scouting report was missed tackles from going for the monster hit.  

I don't see him as much more than a STer and maybe a back-up safety.  His hitting ability may land him on D in some special packages.

Overall, I like the signing.  We need depth at S and can always use a guy that can bring the wood on STs, which I think he can.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I didn't see Kindred featured on Hard Knocks. Probably not very good

He is good enough for Ballard to sign him. I doubt Ballard would sign any player that wasn't any good.

Maybe give the guy a chance before judging him?

Just now, DarkSuperman said:

Appears to be a depth signing but I'll never complain about bringing in competition and more depth.

:agree:

36 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Not sure what to say about this signing... 

Don't know him and only 17 games in 3 seasons... not a starter

Well, I'd call 137 total tackles (100 solo), 2 interceptions, and 10 tackles for loss in 17 games pretty good, if that helps you feel better about him. That basically extrapolates to a full season of production. There are many cases where a good player just doesn't get a chance to shine for various reasons, such as poor talent evaluation, team politics, being loaded at the position, etc.

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He is good enough for Ballard to sign him. I doubt Ballard would sign any player that wasn't any good.

Maybe give the guy a chance before judging him?

:agree:

Ballard has signed plenty of players that aren't good. Every GM does.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

A few things on Kindred:

1) He was pretty damn good in 2017. He didn't play well last year and got hammered for it. But his 2017 season was great. I think he had a PFF Grade of 82.0 then for those that like to hammer home on PFF

2) His contract was set to be $720K this year based on his 4th round drafting. Why is everyone continuously reporting his $2M figure? Because he played well enough in 2017 and enough snaps in 2018 to bump his salary up to $2.025M through the proven performance escalator system.

3) We paid Chris Milton $1.5M for his contributions as depth and special teams. Kindred is the same type of player at the S position. He can contribute on both coverage units and he is a very solid backup S who can play in the box. And he costs slightly more than Milton. And less than Geathers and Farley.

4) We are paying him as a 4th Safety and special teams contributor and we are paying him around 50th-60th best S money. Sure he makes around what Adrian Phillips got which some of our board wanted. But he also comes in around the cost of guys like Chris Banjo, Blake Countess, Jordan Lucas, etc

5) He has a decent amount of starting experience. Which will prove valuable if/when our S position takes a hit health-wise and he is thrown into the fire

6) He is still only 25 years old. He is a solid guy to get and evaluate and see if he earns a follow on contract. He is the quintessential low risk grab. He's a one year deal w a chance to be a diamond in the rough or be gone if not needed. Since his contract is only salary with Cleveland eating the rest of his pro-rated signing bonus, I don't even know if he would hurt us cap-wise if he is cut before the season and doesn't make the final 53. Even if he does count there it will be small potatoes.

I like the move personally.

His 2017 PFF grade was 67.3 just to get the facts straight ;)

I don't mind the addition, none of his salary is guaranteed and if we don't like what he brings, we can cut him and trust whoever else earned a roster spot instead of him...

Whenever someone mentions Milton as depth at corner I have to think of him getting burned time and time again - I like what he brings on special teams and this contibution is why he got another contract, but a team that considers Chris Milton depth at the CB spot is not a good team IMO.

I like the claim of Kindred, however, let's see what he brings to the table, there is certainly some potential.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

A few things on Kindred:

1) He was pretty damn good in 2017. He didn't play well last year and got hammered for it. But his 2017 season was great. I think he had a PFF Grade of 82.0 then for those that like to hammer home on PFF

2017 PFF grade of 67.3. So, significantly better but not 82.0.

• Like 1

Safety group needs to be 5 deep...2 high-end starters (for the base defense)...1 legit nickel S/dime LB...and then 2 depth guys that can play STs and could step in and start if necessary.

Right now, I think they have what they need...except for the other high-end starter. I think they add that in the draft.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

2017 PFF grade of 67.3. So, significantly better but not 82.0.

35 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

His 2017 PFF grade was 67.3 just to get the facts straight ;)

I don't mind the addition, none of his salary is guaranteed and if we don't like what he brings, we can cut him and trust whoever else earned a roster spot instead of him...

Whenever someone mentions Milton as depth at corner I have to think of him getting burned time and time again - I like what he brings on special teams and this contibution is why he got another contract, but a team that considers Chris Milton depth at the CB spot is not a good team IMO.

I like the claim of Kindred, however, let's see what he brings to the table, there is certainly some potential.

Sorry fellas. Was going off some local Cleveland articles citing his grade and performance as the 2017 season ended. Back in January 2018. Not sure what their discrepancy is. Either way still solid. Basically his 2017 was Geathers’ 2018. I’ll take that out of a backup let alone a 4th S. 

https://clesportstalk.com/browns-roster-analysis-safety/2/

https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/01/final-2017-cleveland-browns-report-card-safety/

His nickname is Peanut, due to the shape of his head.  Thanks, Wikipedia.

After looking at some photos, I'm not sure I see it.  Is it a peanut within the shell or one outside the shell in a jar?  

43 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Ballard has signed plenty of players that aren't good. Every GM does.

Well they all were good enough for the team to take a look at them. Being good and being good enough are two different things. There are always players who don't make it at first but do later down the road with another team.

19 minutes ago, #12. said:

After looking at some photos, I'm not sure I see it.  Is it a peanut within the shell or one outside the shell in a jar?  

Those are the hard hitting questions that need to be answered!   Enquiring minds need to know.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

I think that means the doctor squeezed him too hard pulling him out. 

Okay then.  Back to football.

Seems like Ballard made another nice signing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024886/article/browns-release-derrick-kindred-after-three-seasons

...2016 fourth-round pick by the previous Cleveland administration, Kindred was slated to make $2.025 million in base salary on the fourth and final year of his rookie contract. Cutting the safety saves the Browns the entire base on the salary cap.

Kindred started 17 games over three seasons in Cleveland, including two in 2018. Playing a rotational role last season, Kindred still saw 474 defensive snaps at safety as well as participating on special teams. The safety finished ninth on the team in tackles last season, despite not being a starter...

...Kindred, given his youthfulness, starting experience and relatively cheap contract, should generate interest on the waiver wire. If he somehow passes through, he shouldn't be long on the open market...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

I didn't see Kindred featured on Hard Knocks. Probably not very good

So if you aren’t on a tv show, then you must not be worth anything. He’ll be a STer, backup and come in for nickel/dime coverages. Doesn’t mean he’s going to start unless there’s an emergency at safety.