Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended Posts

I was a little down on Nkeal Harry before his pro day, I wasn't sure he'd be able to get separation from NFL DB's. Now...I'm sold. I've seen on several scouting reports that he lacks speed to breakaway, but his 40 time is the exact same as Nuk Hopkins was at the NFL Combine (Hopkins later ran a faster 40 at his pro day, but not by much.) Looking at their measurables at this juncture in their careers, I've noticed that they're all either extremely close, or Nkeal's are better. Harry had 12 more reps on the bench, longer broad jump, and higher vert. I couldn't measure the 3 cone, because neither guy did it, probably because it was considered a knock on both guys...but I think Hopkins has done okay for himself. Now listen, I'm not saying that Harry is gonna be Hopkins, I just can't at this point. I am saying that he has the potential to be, and that he's the best WR in this draft. That's great news for the Colts, because he could be had with their pick at 34, and possibly the latter 2nd as well. I don't see a guy that's gonna struggle to get separation at all, I see a complete -Pro Bowl- wide receiver, not a one-trick pony like Parris Campbell or Marquise Brown. A guy that can kill you on the deep ball, destroy defenders in 50-50 situations, and surprisingly a guy that can separate and beat guys on slants, comebacks, and screens. Added bonus: He blocks like the Terminator and is built like a brick s*ithouse. But, don't take my word for it, look for yourself:

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/3/27/18278402/nkeal-harry-nfl-draft-2019-scouting-report-wide-receiver-ranking

 

This guy goes so far as to say this is one of the best WR's he has scouted, and that he has all of the traits and showings of an elite #1 WR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a big dude, but he has college CBs draped all over him on the highlights

 

I think I like Campbell and Butler better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

He is a big dude, but he has college CBs draped all over him on the highlights

 

I think I like Campbell and Butler better

 

He does have the occasional DB on him, but I look at it as a positive. When these guys get to the league, they're gonna have DB's on them...he obviously handles it well. I'm not sure that some of these other guys that are used to routinely smoking collegiate DBs will make the adjustment as well, if at all. I've been watching a lot of highlights, and he's much quicker and faster than I thought. He makes guys miss, and can take it to the house. He honestly reminds me of a more athletic, slightly slower, Nuk Hopkins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude is polished as a route runner too, which I really like, because that can be a deal breaker. Some guys never adjust. The odds of the Colts landing him are slim, but I'm excited to see what he does once he enters the league, I think he's gonna be a playmaker no doubt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

more athletic, slightly slower,

 

?

 

He doesn't get separation in college. I think it's safe to say he'll struggle to get separation in the NFL. 

 

So now the question is whether he can consistently make catches away from his frame, contested, on time, in the NFL. That's what makes Hopkins special, and I don't think it's something that can be projected. I also don't think Harry's tape shows that ability, not like Hopkins' did. 

 

I like a lot about Harry, but I think the questions about him are legitimate. I definitely don't have him as the best WR in the draft, AJ Brown is ahead of him for me as a complete prospect, and it's not particularly close. And there are other guys who have other traits, maybe not as well rounded as Harry, but those traits are outstanding, and I think I like them more than him -- Hollywood Brown, Butler... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

?

 

Yes? There's more to being athletic than being fast. He's stronger, longer, and jumps higher and farther. Nuk is a little quicker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to go look and see who Nuk Hopkins was. I assumed it was Deandre but I’ve never seen the name Nuk with him before. I don’t really care who we get as long as they make plays and contribute to the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

?

 

He doesn't get separation in college. I think it's safe to say he'll struggle to get separation in the NFL. 

 

So now the question is whether he can consistently make catches away from his frame, contested, on time, in the NFL. That's what makes Hopkins special, and I don't think it's something that can be projected. I also don't think Harry's tape shows that ability, not like Hopkins' did. 

 

I like a lot about Harry, but I think the questions about him are legitimate. I definitely don't have him as the best WR in the draft, AJ Brown is ahead of him for me as a complete prospect, and it's not particularly close. And there are other guys who have other traits, maybe not as well rounded as Harry, but those traits are outstanding, and I think I like them more than him -- Hollywood Brown, Butler... 

 

That's the general consensus, that he won't be able to separate. Watching film tho, I don't see that. Well, I see it somewhat, but not to the crippling degree that others do. I think he has a lot of Nuk's contested catch ability, and ability to be open even when he isn't, mixed with circus athleticism and strength. Time will tell, I guess. I like AJ Brown a lot, and he's probably my 3rd or 4th favorite WR in the draft. I'd probably rank them 1)Harry 2)Deebo 3)AJ Brown 4)Metcalf 5)Hollywood. I think most of them have specialized traits, or excel in one area. I think Harry is the most complete of the bunch, and offers specialized skills in a multitude of areas. Fun time of year, sucks to have to wait so long to see whether guys will meet expectations or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

That's the general consensus, that he won't be able to separate. Watching film tho, I don't see that. Well, I see it somewhat, but not to the crippling degree that others do. I think he has a lot of Nuk's contested catch ability, and ability to be open even when he isn't, mixed with circus athleticism and strength. Time will tell, I guess. I like AJ Brown a lot, and he's probably my 3rd or 4th favorite WR in the draft. I'd probably rank them 1)Harry 2)Deebo 3)AJ Brown 4)Metcalf 5)Hollywood. I think most of them have specialized traits, or excel in one area. I think Harry is the most complete of the bunch, and offers specialized skills in a multitude of areas. Fun time of year, sucks to have to wait so long to see whether guys will meet expectations or not. 

 

That's all fair, I just think the lack of separation is a serious consideration. Not crippling, but something you better check off carefully before drafting him. And I do like him, including after the catch, just wonder if he'll be able to get open and consistently make catches in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

He does have the occasional DB on him, but I look at it as a positive. When these guys get to the league, they're gonna have DB's on them...he obviously handles it well. I'm not sure that some of these other guys that are used to routinely smoking collegiate DBs will make the adjustment as well, if at all. I've been watching a lot of highlights, and he's much quicker and faster than I thought. He makes guys miss, and can take it to the house. He honestly reminds me of a more athletic, slightly slower, Nuk Hopkins. 

Campbell has significant separation on routes, as does Isabella (4.31 forty's make a differnece in college and in pros

 

Butler gets some separation, AND the wingspan and 6'6" makes him able to catch when he gets the ball thown to him

 

There is a question on drops that NCF brought up.  If you watch the game  tape vs highlights, he had some drops but not near the 17% that he supposedly had 

 

To me, IF we go WR in round TWO

 

I want Campbell or Butler

 

If we wait until round 3......  Isabella is the guy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Terry McLaurin is the WR I want.

Just curious....Why?

 

He was choice 3 on Ohio State for people to throw to this year

 

He is fast......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Terry McLaurin is the WR I want.

 

He doesn't have good enough hands, imo. Too many drops, and it's gonna get worse at the next level with far superior coverage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I see of AJ brown if he is there with our 34th pick I am warming up to the idea of drafting a WR. It will make our WR group very crowded. Hilton, funchess then Cain and brown. That could turn out to be lethal with our TE group. But if we plan on using funchess in the slot we may skip on him. Looks like brown is more of a slot guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

The more I see of AJ brown if he is there with our 34th pick I am warming up to the idea of drafting a WR. It will make our WR group very crowded. Hilton, funchess then Cain and brown. That could turn out to be lethal with our TE group. But if we plan on using funchess in the slot we may skip on him. Looks like brown is more of a slot guy.

Brown will not make it to 34. He may not make it to 26, I've been pounding the table for him ever since my first scouting report with d.k Metcalf. IMO hes the best wide out in the draft and pff has made it noted he plays outside and plays it well. If the colts somehow got him then it would be t.y a.j Devin then deon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No 1st round WRs this class is deep but nobody is special. Deebo Samuel, Paris Campbell, Whiteside, Butler, Brown are all guys we could get with an later pick and are maybe slightly worse prospects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, twfish said:

Brown will not make it to 34. He may not make it to 26, I've been pounding the table for him ever since my first scouting report with d.k Metcalf. IMO hes the best wide out in the draft and pff has made it noted he plays outside and plays it well. If the colts somehow got him then it would be t.y a.j Devin then deon. 

I have seen a couple mocks with him at 34. I guess we will see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...