Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz Weekly Mock Draft

I’ve decided that I’m just going to do a draft each week until (I think it’s 3 weeks away) the 2019 draft. I’ll skip a week if my picks don’t change much.

Round 1(26)- Jonathan Abram, SS: Sticking with this Pick because he seems to be the guy the staff loves right now. Has the Quenton Nelson play demeanor and is UNDERRATED in coverage (watch the Alabama tape)

Round 2(34)- Dexter Lawrence, NT: So it seems like the staff is set on moving Tyquan to 3T. So they go NT instead. Lawrence seems to be what they want to do at NT. He’s huge but athletic and can refine his pass rushing

Round 2(59)- Deebo Samuel, WR: Samuel is a premier route runner who figures to plug into the slot right away. He’s had some injury concerns which is why he falls. Can probably flex out wide too.

Round 3: Joe Jackson, DE: Houston is a temporary fix. We need young pass rushers. Jackson is what the staff looks for physically and will become a future bookend with Turray hopefully. 

Round 4- Justin Layne, CB: More competition at CB for Wilson. Layne has high upside but needs a lot of work IMO. But he has ideal length and ball skills to work with. He’s also a former receiver.

Round 4- Cameron Smith, LB: After Abram, this is the most Ballard pick of the draft. Former team captain with high character. He tested surprisingly well at the combine. Offers coverage ability to match up against TEs but can also play MLB when needed. 

Round 5- Kaden Smith, TE: Another Stanford TE. Ebron and Doyle are both FAs next year. Smith is slow at 4.91 but he can block, and Reich can scheme him open.

Round 6- LJ Scott, RB: Should be the steal of the draft. He’s a North and South runner who Zerlein compares to Jordan Howard. Never eclipsed 1,000 yards in college and was banged up in 2018. Should factor in immediately though

Round 7- Trey Pipkins, Sioux Falls: Sometimes you just have to take a guy with traits and see if you can develop him. That’s the hope here. Trey is y’all with long arms but has technique flaws and needs to hit the weights.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, #12. said:

I agree - for whatever reason, Joe Jackson feels like a Ballard-type guy, the type of player few people are talking about.

I could see your #1 and #2 being flip-flopped.

Yup. I thought the same thing about the first two picks. They can definitely be flopped. Lawrence might be in higher demand. And if you miss on Abram, there’s still a bunch of options.

9 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

Nice mock. IMO the safety class has 5-7 that could go in the top 3 rounds...might switch out safety in RD1 to safety in RD3... and look at A.J. Brown... as an option at 26... 2 cents...

If Brown is there. He seems like a prime candidate to get snatched up by the Ravens though. And if not them the Eagles. If he was there I’d take him at 26, Lawrence at 34, and a safety at 59.

• Like 1

Thinking about Lawrence, The guy is tough to move and he does penetrate, even against a double team

Having him in the middle forces the other team to do more outside the tackle runs, which actually plays to the strength of the Colts...... The speed of the LBs AND the CBs in zone can collapse as well

I think you may very well see the two exact picks, but rotated

There is no person like Lawrence in this draft

There are 3-4 safeties that have similar games to Abrams 

IF... a BIG IF, CB likes Lawrence, this may be the way he goes

But.... a future star always slides on draft day

If a top OT slides, If a top DE slides, if a Top TE slides (Hock only), if one of the two fast LBs slide..................  I believe they will use it here

But.....

Who knows what will happen

There at least 5-7 guys that I would be happy with at 26

and probably an equal number at 34 and 56

• Like 2

Very nice job. I agree with the dialogue you've been having about flipping Lawrence and Abrams. I don't believe Lawrence lasts into round 2. Abrams should though. Lawrence continues to intrigue because the Colts have 3 techs but don't have a standout at the other DT/NT slot. Take 10-15 pounds off that frame and he could be an absolute terror. I am beginning to focus on him as the guy at 26. 

Getting Samuel that late in round 2 would be terrific, but you'd probably have to take Jackson instead at that point if you want him. I'd rather have Jackson than Deebo  because the need is much greater.....and the Colts truly need another WR IMO so that's saying a lot. Again, thanks for the work on this, and keep at it! 

In this division, the Lawrence pick does make a lot of sense.  Tennessee and Jax are trying to pound the ball with Henry and Fournette.  Houston is trying to get a power game together.  If you stop the run, you will own the division.  If they can't run and it turns into a battle of QBs, the Colts win.  

Good mock, but,

Abram is too much of a thumper, IMO.  Amani Hooker is better suited for our D.  I think AJ Brown is a more polished WR at this point than Deebo.

26. Lawrence/Brown  34.  Brown/Lawrence 59.  Amani Hooker (zone scheme at Iowa, starter day 1 for the Colts).

That's 3 day 1 starters with the first three picks, and all three have upside and selected at their proper value, IMO.

The rest of your mock is great.

Think about TE Foster Moreux at 129.  A better prospect than Kaden Smith, IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FalseStart said:

If I take a Lawrence with one of those top two picks...I’m also taking another DT like a  Jones, Saunders or Wren to give both a better opportunity of success... somewhere in first 4 rounds...

Maybe a late rounder. We have Lewis and Autry at the 3, and Jihad Ward may be back.