Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Evan Silva and Josh Norris] Colts Draft Analysis and 7-Round Mock Draft

One of the best mocks I've seen out there for the Colts. 

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/draft-analysis/nfl-draft-needs-colts

NFL DRAFT NEEDS: COLTS

Notable Pre-Draft Additions: DE Justin Houston, WR Devin Funchess.

Starting Offense

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Marlon Mack
WR1: T.Y. Hilton
WR2: Devin Funchess
SLWR: Chester Rogers
TE: Jack Doyle
TE: Eric Ebron
LT: Anthony Castonzo
LG: Quenton Nelson
C: Ryan Kelly
RG: Mark Glowinski
RT: Braden Smith

Starting Defense

RE: Justin Houston
LE: Jabaal Sheard
DT: Margus Hunt
DT: Denico Autry
MLB: Anthony Walker
WLB: Darius Leonard
SLB: Matthew Adams
LCB: Pierre Desir
RCB: Quincy Wilson
SCB: Kenny Moore
FS: Malik Hooker
SS: Clayton Geathers

TEAM NEEDS

Silva's Analysis

Pass Rusher: Having built one of the NFL’s five strongest rosters in only 26 months on the job, GM Chris Ballard will enter April’s draft with immense flexibility. Talent injections remain necessary at a few positions, beginning with interior and exterior defensive line play. Starters Houston, Sheard and Hunt are on the wrong side of 30, and 2018 second-round DE Turay didn’t show much as a rookie. Last year’s Colts finished 21st in sacks (38) and 28th in QB hits (78). Houston can’t fix their pass rush on his own.

Pass Catcher: Ballard is one of the league’s foremost forward-thinking GMs, so the fact that Ebron, Doyle, Funchess and Rogers are all in contract seasons won’t be lost on him. Hilton has two years left. Doyle has battled chronic hip problems and is coming off surgery, while Hilton and Ebron’s bodies broke down as last year progressed. Don’t be shocked if Ballard uses one of his four top-90 picks at tight end. The Colts’ GM is a proponent of attacking defenses on high-percentage passes in the middle of the field.

Secondary: Unwilling to match the Redskins’ offer for Landon Collins, the Colts settled for re-signing injury-riddled SS Clayton Geathers. Wilson hasn’t played well enough to be guaranteed a full-time job entering his third season, while groin and knee injuries cost Hooker 11 games in his first two years.

COLTS 2019 DRAFT PICKS

Norris' Options

1 (26). iDL Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame - Chris Ballard is into athleticism along his defensive front. That was true during his time in Kansas City, and it was clear in his first year with the Colts. Look at the additions of Margus Hunt and the drafting of Tyquan Lewis and Kemoko Turay. Enter Tillery, who is an outstanding interior disruptor from a variety of alignments and posted an athletic profile in the 84th percentile. Tillery is a top 15 prospect in my book.

2 (34). Acquired from Jets in Sam Darnold trade - WR Hakeem Butler, Iowa State - Devin Funchessmight perform well in 2019, but he is on a one-year deal. I know Deion Cain generated hype during training camp, but keep in mind he’s done nothing in the NFL … yet. Chris Ballard talks about the difficulties in evaluating receivers out of college, mainly due to them not facing physical press coverage. That is not Butler, as he has had plenty of snaps face up against corners and displays a variety of releases versus press. He actually led this class in receiving yards off 20-plus yard throws. He can make the difficult look easy.

2 (59). CB Amani Oruwariye, Penn State - A physical corner at the line and when in phase to disrupt the catch point. He lacks consistency, but that’s what NFL coaching is for. Plus, he’s an above average athlete in the 73rd percentile.

3 (89). TE Jace Sternberger, Texas A&M - As Evan mentioned, it would not be a surprise to see the Colts continue to invest in tight end. Why not make a strength stronger? Sternberger is a comfortable receiver who only needs to be willing and adequate as a blocker to stay on the field.

4 (129). EDGE Ben Banogu, TCU - I mentioned Ballard’s love of athletes along his front. Banogu is the perfect developmental Day 3 edge with an athletic profile in the 97th percentile and a single fast ball move. Hopefully he develops further.

4 (135). S Malik Gant, Marshall - A powerful, hard-hitting safety who can line up in three different spots in the first three snaps of the game: single high, box safety, slot corner.

5 (164). DL John Cominsky, Charleston - Tiny program, big potential. Cominsky looked a bit lost during Senior Bowl week, but that is expected. He offers an intriguing outside to inside profile.

6 (199). CB Derrek Thomas, Baylor - Reminds me of Deiondre Hall in terms of a wiry long defensive back who always wants his hands on the receiver when playing corner.

7 (240). OL Trey Pipkins, Sioux Falls - Athletic, late round, developmental offensive lineman that likely lands on the practice squad.

• Like 5

I don’t follow college ball much, outside ND maybe but it strikes me as odd that many of these players are from smaller program colleges and nothing inside the larger, more prominent programs. Now, maybe these kids are graded pretty high, idk, but it just seems odd to me that not one player out of Alabama or Clemson etc... Does this guy just follow smaller programs or is it just coincidence? 

I like the Pipkins pick. I've been hoping we snag him toward the end of the draft as a developmental tackle.

Butler's a solid pick too. And I like Sternberger quite a bit, especially as a possible Doyle replacement. Oruwariye and Tillery fit Ballard's type so they make sense. Kinda skeptical about how they pan out but I do like Tillery, regardless of the consistency concerns. Not to mention I'm confident in Eberflus/position guys to coach them up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I don’t follow college ball much, outside ND maybe but it strikes me as odd that many of these players are from smaller program colleges and nothing inside the larger, more prominent programs. Now, maybe these kids are graded pretty high, idk, but it just seems odd to me that not one player out of Alabama or Clemson etc... Does this guy just follow smaller programs or is it just coincidence? 

I guess it depends on what your definition on "smaller program colleges" is, but I only see 2 of the 9 picks as coming from small programs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 2:58 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Well this safety class is very good. It’s not like we would be taking a bad safety over a good WR.

I would not call it very good. A lot of big boards don't have a S in the top 32. Even NFL.com only has one in the category of "instant starter", and even that S they say may be limited as a box safety. 

I think we are going to skip any S in the first 2 rounds. Since Eberfluss is here we have used only the minimal amount of capital, money wise and draft wise, on the backfield. The impact of early draftees on the lines is bigger than that of DBs in Ballards eyes i guess. I expect D- and O-line being the first 3 picks. I would be pretty happy with a haul of Wilkins, Lindstrom and Z.Allen.

• Like 1

I disagree. Safety is a genuine need and a key position in the modern NFL. Playing 3 safeties rather than 3 linebackers is very common anymore. And Geathers is a crap shoot when it comes to his health. The Colts need some new blood there. I expect a safety to be picked in Day 2. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't mind picking up two wide receivers in this draft, one at #34 and another one in the mid rounds. Aside from TY and possibly Funchess, there isn't another WR on the roster who would be missed if he suddenly decided to quit football and take up mushroom farming.