Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's Penultimate Mock

Here’s my thoughts immediately following the first phases of Free Agency:

1) Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame.  Tillery has the perfect skill set for our NT position, penetrating but holding up surprisingly well against the run.  Had the top SPARQ score of any interior DL at the Combine.  Tillery can be a real disruptor, and “off-field concerns” are really just a quirky personality IMO.   Should fit well in the locker room.

2) Chase Winovich, DE, Michigan.  Word on the street is that he won’t be available too long into the 2nd, with an outside shot of sneaking into the 1st.  Winovich had some really good quickness figures at the Combine, and he ran a 4.59 forty.  He also has a non-stop motor and top tier intangibles/character/leadership qualities.  If he lasts to this pick, he’s the last DE I’m excited about in this draft. 

2) David Long, CB, Michigan.  This could be a sweet spot for CBs.  Ya-Sin, Love, Oruwariye, Mullen would all be good fits and could go here – I would consider all of them.  But, for this one, I’m going with a guy whose playing style and athleticism will appeal to Ballard.  He’s uber aggressive and physical, despite his 5’11, 196 frame.  His 4.45 forty at the Combine was good, but his 3.97 short shuttle and 6.45 3-cone were some of the best times this century.  He was already an analytics darling, allowing the least coverage yards per coverage snap in the Big-10. He’s like a bigger, faster, and quicker Kenny Moore.

3) Will Harris, S, Boston College.  Geathers is injured too often, and it’d be nice to have a successor in place.  Harris’ great combine, including a 4.41 forty, lands him right about here.  He has good feel in coverage and doesn’t make mental errors.

4) Stanley Morgan Jr., WR, Nebraska.  The recent Stampede Blue article saying WR is an under-rated need is insane – I think it’s a hugely over-rated need.  Half the mocks out there give us a 1st Round WR, even though Funchess was signed, Cain will be ready and looked like a starter last year, Fountain is an insane athlete that we spent last year developing, and Chester Rogers became quite dependable by the end of the year (watch the Giants game).  I contemplated not drafting a WR, but I decided we’re not in danger of having “too much”.  Morgan had really good shuttle and cone figures at the Combine, and ran a 4.53 at 6’, 202.  Runs some of the best routes of anyone in this draft, which should make him a great slot option, as well as a possible outside guy.

4) Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls.  6’6”, 309.  He has quick feet and was great in pass protection at the East West Shrine.  In a relatively poor OT class, he’s a guy who could develop into a starter after a year or so.  Only put up 16 bench at the Combine, indicating that (like most college OTs), he needs to add a lot of strength for the NFL.  But he was very quick, mobile, and athletic.

5) Ulysees Gilbert, LB, Akron.  Who?! Gilbert is an East West Shrine riser who proved his athleticism at his Pro Day.  6’, 224, 4.46 forty, 6.94 3-cone, 39.5 vertical.  Was a noticeable gap-shooter who made plays in the backfield at the EWS.  He can play in space/coverage too.  A perfect Will understudy in our system.  Not gonna worry that others call him a 7th round possibility – I like him better for us than the bigger names.

6) Tanner Farmer, OL, Nebraska.  Another late-round swing for the fences.  Was gunning for 49 bench reps at his Pro Day, but injured his pec and didn’t start lifting again until a week before his workout.  “Only” put up 39 reps.  Tonny Pauline called him a “dominant mauler who destroys opponents run blocking or in pass protection” two summers ago, but he fell off the radar.  He’s intense, and he also ran a 5.00 forty and jumped a 32.5” vertical and 9’ 10” Broad at his Pro Day.  Another physically imposing interior lineman in keeping with the current culture on the Colts.

7) Darrin Hall, RB, Pittsburgh.  We’re developing a well-rounded RB corps, only lacking a power runner.  Hall was just that at the EWS, plus he ripped off a 39-yard run.  Had a disastrous Senior Bowl after joining the squad on Thursday of practice week.  Ran a 4.42 at 6’,217, hit a 6.72 3-cone, and put up 27 bench reps at his Pro Day.  Can’t believe no one’s talking about him. 

• Like 6