Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coach Reich wants Colts to be top top 10 in rushing

lollygagger8

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024683/article/frank-reich-colts-want-to-be-topfive-rushing-team

Indianapolis Colts coach Frank Reich wants to take the pressure off Andrew Luck with an improved ground game in 2019.

"Our goal will be to be a top-five, top-seven, rushing team," Reich said this week at the Annual League Meeting in Phoenix, via the team's official website.

The Colts have a big leap to make to accomplish that goal. Indy finished 20th in rushing yards with 107.4 per game in 2018. The team's 4.2 average per rush finished 21st in the league.

A sometimes inefficient ground game that waxed and waned through the season, put the pressure on Andrew Luck during the Colts' playoff run. The Indy signal-caller finished second in attempts per game among QBs who started more than nine tilts with 39.9 (behind only Ben Roethlisberger's 42.2).

Reich wants a consistent running game to help keep defenses off balance.

"I just have a really strong conviction of that's what it takes," he said. "In this day of high scoring, crazy pass offenses, and that's all true, but if you look at the numbers, you gotta be good at running the football. There's exceptions to that, but the percentages are with you... if you're a top-10 rushing team, you gotta much better (chance to win)."

The best NFL offenses pass to get ahead and run to burn out the clock to protect that lead. So, Reich's statement makes sense -- assuming his order remains proper -- if the Colts jump out to early leads.

The Colts used that recipe to perfection in their playoff whitewash of the Houston Texans, watching Marlon Mack gallop for 148 rushing yards, most salting away the clock.

With Indy not yet adding to the trio of Mack, Nyheim Hines and Jordan Wilkins this offseason, Mack's health will be key for Reich to accomplish his goal. The 23-year-old compiled 908 rushing yards in 12 games in 2018. The Colts struggled sans Mack last season, losing each of the four games the running back missed.

A shifty speedster who can make quick cuts and change gears in the hole, Mack is poised to take the lead role in 2019, if he remains healthy.

Reich noted he'll continue to utilized a committee approach, "but Marlon's a little bit more the featured guy"

"He's got burst, he's really smart," Reich said of Mack. "And Marlon, he's got burst and he's got that speed, but he's a good inside runner. He's got good play strength -- that's one of the phrases we talk about; what's his play strength like? He's got good burst, he's got good vision."

If Mack can stay healthy, perhaps the running back can live up to owner Jim Irsay's 1,500 yard prediction from last summer.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024683/article/frank-reich-colts-want-to-be-topfive-rushing-team

Indianapolis Colts coach Frank Reich wants to take the pressure off Andrew Luck with an improved ground game in 2019.

"Our goal will be to be a top-five, top-seven, rushing team," Reich said this week at the Annual League Meeting in Phoenix, via the team's official website.

The Colts have a big leap to make to accomplish that goal. Indy finished 20th in rushing yards with 107.4 per game in 2018. The team's 4.2 average per rush finished 21st in the league.

A sometimes inefficient ground game that waxed and waned through the season, put the pressure on Andrew Luck during the Colts' playoff run. The Indy signal-caller finished second in attempts per game among QBs who started more than nine tilts with 39.9 (behind only Ben Roethlisberger's 42.2).

Reich wants a consistent running game to help keep defenses off balance.

"I just have a really strong conviction of that's what it takes," he said. "In this day of high scoring, crazy pass offenses, and that's all true, but if you look at the numbers, you gotta be good at running the football. There's exceptions to that, but the percentages are with you... if you're a top-10 rushing team, you gotta much better (chance to win)."

The best NFL offenses pass to get ahead and run to burn out the clock to protect that lead. So, Reich's statement makes sense -- assuming his order remains proper -- if the Colts jump out to early leads.

The Colts used that recipe to perfection in their playoff whitewash of the Houston Texans, watching Marlon Mack gallop for 148 rushing yards, most salting away the clock.

With Indy not yet adding to the trio of Mack, Nyheim Hines and Jordan Wilkins this offseason, Mack's health will be key for Reich to accomplish his goal. The 23-year-old compiled 908 rushing yards in 12 games in 2018. The Colts struggled sans Mack last season, losing each of the four games the running back missed.

A shifty speedster who can make quick cuts and change gears in the hole, Mack is poised to take the lead role in 2019, if he remains healthy.

Reich noted he'll continue to utilized a committee approach, "but Marlon's a little bit more the featured guy"

"He's got burst, he's really smart," Reich said of Mack. "And Marlon, he's got burst and he's got that speed, but he's a good inside runner. He's got good play strength -- that's one of the phrases we talk about; what's his play strength like? He's got good burst, he's got good vision."

If Mack can stay healthy, perhaps the running back can live up to owner Jim Irsay's 1,500 yard prediction from last summer.

I think they will wind up signing Ajayi or spending draft capital in the 2nd or 3rd round on a RB.  They've obviously got some doubts about Wilkins ability to handled the #2 role.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

If that’s the case they need to add to their stable. Mack is great but he needs a partner. Maybe Ty Montgomery, Alex Barnes, or LJ Scott later in the draft. Ajayi would be a nice fit if he can get and stay healthy.

Don't know why y'all want to add another RB the 3 we have are just fine don't fix it if it ain't broke

37 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Don't know why y'all want to add another RB the 3 we have are just fine don't fix it if it ain't broke

Do you drive one of these?

image.png.305323fee86e19b8da63742d38339e35.png

Even if something isn't broken,  you should still always be looking for ways to improve. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

If that’s the case they need to add to their stable. Mack is great but he needs a partner. Maybe Ty Montgomery, Alex Barnes, or LJ Scott later in the draft. Ajayi would be a nice fit if he can get and stay healthy.

We don't even know if Ajayi passed his physical with the Colts. 

If they are REALLY committed to this, and it's not just a hope, then they should have signed LeVeon Bell.  But I am glad they didn't.  I don't think they necessarily need to be a top 10 rushing team.  Improve the passing game and the defense, and use the running game to open up the passing game and move the chains.  They do that and they will be just fine.

I love Mack, but he isn't a top 5 or top 7 guy IMO. I wasn't a fan of a guy like Bell, but Bell is a top 5 guy. Neither Mack or Wilkins have a lot of power. Mack is pretty average in all advanced stats. Can he handle more workload? IDK. 

Wilkins is a good back up for Mack, but he was described as more flight than fight. Both have good wiggle and evade well but again, neither fill the need for power.

Either you increase his load and see what happens, you add a power compliment, or you get another #1. We don't necessarily need a Bell to improve our running game.  I think you can increase Mack's load a little, and get power back in the mid rounds. 

With our improving OL, I think Snell would be a nice compliment. Downhill guy who has power and is patient. He's definitely not a burner, but he'd probably do very well in short yardage situations.. And is the type of guy to beat up a worn down D in the second half.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, J@son said:

Do you drive one of these?

image.png.305323fee86e19b8da63742d38339e35.png

Even if something isn't broken,  you should still always be looking for ways to improve. 

What was broke was the lack of commitment to the run game after Mack returned week 7 Vrs the Jets. 

At that time Indy had their starting O-line set, and Mack was back.  After that He ran really well.  The Problem at this time was not our stable, it was (as Reich said himself) the commitment to the run game.

Any time Mack carried the ball 15+times, our run game benefited. It softened the opposing defense's with bruising run blocks throughout the game, and Mack got better and better as each game went on.  Mack averaged 5+ YPC and 120+ YPG anytime he carried the ball 15+ times.  The Only exception to this was week 7 vrs the Jets ,where Mack carried 12 times for 89 yards. was getting his carries but Our defense was not able to stop the passing game at the time, and Indy fell behind and Reich turned to the passing game.

Reich's biggest problem last year was he went to the pass way too much earlier in the season.  And If Indy fell behind in a game (Sans the K.C. game) he would give up on the run game entirely.  

After Mack got back from his hamstring issue from preseason, he was fine, finishing out the final 9 games plus 2 play-off games.  I don't think injuries is an issue for him. He was pulled from that first game because of re-aggravating the same hamstring, same thing happened to A.C.  .  Colts just tried to get their players on the field too fast.

I think we will see a more steadfast Reich when it comes to the run game this coming year.  Learning from last year, that even if your first 4-5 run's don't go for 4+ yards, does not mean you should go away from it.  Sometimes a run game takes a full quarter or 2 to really start going and establish a rhythm.

Plus, this will be Mack's 3rd year, His 2nd year was a massive leap in his total RB abilities.  Same could happen for Hines and Wilkins.  Plus a young O-line learning and developing together.  As the year wore on they worked much better together as they got to know each other, and the RB got to know them as well.  

This Running game will be top 10 next year, and Indy doesn't even need to add any pieces, just what we have. As long as Reich stays committed to it each and every game. 

Reich is sounding a lot like Pagano.   He was all about the run game too.  No surprise though.  That's the football they know and believe in.  So far so good sort of.  Is there a chance we add a RB in the draft?  I think highly likely.  If he was happy with his RB's I don't think he would be so vocal about the need to be a top 5 or 10 running game.  He would just expect the normal improvements for his current backs to happen and he should be there.  Instead he's being vocal about the need to get better.  Checking out Ajai is another clue.  I think he is saying we need to improve our RB group.  Especially with Macks injury history.  If he misses significant time again the running game is much weaker.  What round?  Could be anywhere really.  Bellicheck was not afraid to do it in the 1st. rd. last year.  Not saying we will but it could happen.  Mack, so far, has not proven to be durable.  Thus the smart move would be to add to the group IMO. 

• Haha 1

Frank is right IMHO. If you can't run it at a high level, the odds of winning in the playoffs plummet. Defensive Coordinators still stop the run first, because if you don't, you're in for a long day on defense, and your odds of winning anything plummet. Some things will never change, no matter how many passes are thrown.

They'll need better blocking at the TE & WR positions, and the addition of a" Beat Down" RB to meet those goals. Rathman 2.0 type...

• Like 2

With the line we have now, you had a glimpse of what a slightly above average  back in Mack can do, Remember everyone one just about claims in this forum that , without a good line , that we don't need a generational running back . Just think what a great running back could do behind this line. I think Mack is a  great prospect for our needs for now, but I think down the line we can do better, now that we have a better line. The running back by committee, is an excellent concept, but, we need a lot more fire power than we had last year for sure. Mack is no Barkley, or Bell, but with the right, help at running back besides him it can work for us. Those of this forum that think we can get by without improving at running back for this year are delusional. To get over the hump we need a more consistent running game, 

On 3/29/2019 at 3:30 PM, Four2itus said:

But our WR's aren't there yet. It really helps when 5 to drop into coverage. 

Great point

I STILL think we need a WR on day 2, as running against a nickle package, with THIS OL, would be fantastic scenario

I could see a 3rd for David Montgomery, or a 4th for Snell

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Mack would've had well over 1,000 yards if he didn't miss no games last season he's no power back but those type of backs are good for short yard situations and the endzone if our o-line stays dominant then rb position is the least issue with this team

Agreed

RB is NOT our first need as we move forward

Mack is a good player

BUT....... the need for a 220lb power back is there

Its snowy 30 degrees, with wind whipping, in NE in January, its 4th and 1....... 

MACK isnt the guy you hand the ball to 

There are some decent backs like Snell from KY, that MAY be available with one of our 4th round picks.   

34 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed

RB is NOT our first need as we move forward

Mack is a good player

BUT....... the need for a 220lb power back is there

Its snowy 30 degrees, with wind whipping, in NE in January, its 4th and 1....... 

MACK isnt the guy you hand the ball to 

There are some decent backs like Snell from KY, that MAY be available with one of our 4th round picks.   

I understand what you're saying but to me when your o-line is dominant you don't necessarily need a heavy back and if that's the case wilkins have shown he can handle a short yard situation like that anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

They need Benny Snell or Devin Singletary, and the draft capital to acquire those guys is limited. 

Im not sure what you mean

We have 2, 4th round picks....... Snell would be a good value pick up there

3 is too early for Snell

I think round three, there will be some very good, tall, zone CBs available

43 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Im not sure what you mean

We have 2, 4th round picks....... Snell would be a good value pick up there

3 is too early for Snell

I think round three, there will be some very good, tall, zone CBs available

I mean they need another RB, and teams hit on franchise changing guys every year in the middle rounds. David Johnson is a great example, and I think Snell and Singletary are this years RB gems. If we can add that with one of the 4th round selections, then why not. If it doesn't pan out, then you lost a 4th rounder, no biggie. This all stems from my belief that Mack can't handle the workload necessary to make Reich's vision a reality. He isn't Lev, and can't handle 400+ touches. It seems like our RBs all have a specialty, but none are great at multiple things, and I'm a proponent of continuing to throw darts til we hit a bullseye. 

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I mean they need another RB, and teams hit on franchise changing guys every year in the middle rounds. David Johnson is a great example, and I think Snell and Singletary are this years RB gems. If we can add that with one of the 4th round selections, then why not. If it doesn't pan out, then you lost a 4th rounder, no biggie. This all stems from my belief that Mack can't handle the workload necessary to make Reich's vision a reality. He isn't Lev, and can't handle 400+ touches. It seems like our RBs all have a specialty, but none are great at multiple things, and I'm a proponent of continuing to throw darts til we hit a bullseye. 

Sounds like we are on the same page.....

I havent watched any tape on Singletary, so I can't comment .... YET !   :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Sounds like we are on the same page.....

I havent watched any tape on Singletary, so I can't comment .... YET !   :)

Singletary is probably my favorite, Snell is close tho. I have no faith in the Bama guys, they traditionally don't pan out after having so much talent around them in college, and dominating opponents, it's a major change making the jump to the pro level, and I think they adapt horribly. 

3 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Singletary is probably my favorite, Snell is close tho. I have no faith in the Bama guys, they traditionally don't pan out after having so much talent around them in college, and dominating opponents, it's a major change making the jump to the pro level, and I think they adapt horribly. 

Singletary may end up being a good pro..... but 5'7" at 200 Lbs, seems more like what we already have. 

Snell seems to be that bigger back that we are missing 5 10 at 224

David Montgomery is who I hope we get, but may take a 3rd 

5'10" 215 ish

I like Mack...... he was impressive

When he has a hole.... look out.....

When he DOESNT have a hole....... he seems to go down a little too quick

28 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Singletary may end up being a good pro..... but 5'7" at 200 Lbs, seems more like what we already have. 

Snell seems to be that bigger back that we are missing 5 10 at 224

David Montgomery is who I hope we get, but may take a 3rd 

5'10" 215 ish

I like Mack...... he was impressive

When he has a hole.... look out.....

When he DOESNT have a hole....... he seems to go down a little too quick

I'm thinking that him saying he wants to be a Top 10 rushing attack may be an indicator that he's gonna draft either more offensive linemen or another RB...if they don't sign Ajayi. What do you think?