Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Johnathan Abram talks about his meeting with the Colts

His tackling style is 25% Bob(a missile), 75% Polamalu.  Yeah, he usually blows people up with his arms and body, in a straight up position, Polamalu style.

The Polamalu method probably keeps you healthy longer 

Movin' the Chains on SiriusXM with Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller just had Rock the Mock 2.0 today.

Last week, no trades were allowed, and the Colts ended up with Deandre Baker. This week, trades were allowed (and there were many, but not with the Colts) and the Colts ended up with Jonathan Abram @26.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Here's a "highlight" reel on youtube: 

Maybe it's a poor representation of how good he is, but I'm not necessarily impressed. 

The play at 2:36 really stood out to me. He takes an angle to the side of the run at the snap, then, before the ball is even pitched back, sniffs out the reversal, breaks down, and is cutting upfield on a perfect pursuit angle while the ball is just now being handed off. He has some really high IQ, and it showed there. 

• Like 2

Im taking a liking to Juan Thornhill from Virginia as a late 2nd to 3rd round pick. Hes pretty good as far as his awareness and instincts in coverage, he can play man coverage(used to be a corner), runs 4.4  so hes fast. Had 13 int over 4 years including 6 picks this year. Can play FS, SS box, Cornerback. I think he could be a bit more physical but hes certainly no coward. I think hes a solid tackler. As far as i could tell Virginia seems to play the same D as we do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, krunk said:

Id be okay with Abram although i dont think you will get a lot of ball production out of him in terms of picks and pass break ups. I think his game is similar to Geathers. Maybe a little better in coverage.

Watched a few youtube breakdowns.  They seemed to think he's pretty good in coverage.  From what I saw, he's not Geathers.  As I said earlier, he does remind me some of Polamalu.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

Im taking a liking to Juan Thornhill from Virginia as a late 2nd to 3rd round pick. Hes pretty good as far as his awareness and instincts in coverage, he can play man coverage(used to be a corner), runs 4.4  so hes fast. Had 13 int over 4 years including 6 picks this year. Can play FS, SS box, Cornerback. I think he could be a bit more physical but hes certainly no coward. I think hes a solid tackler. As far as i could tell Virginia seems to play the same D as we do.

I would agree with this as well

Having a guy that can do ALL of the DB spots would allow some coverage schemes that might confuse the QB

This is why I like Chauncy Gardner, who is a converted CB, and can play SS, and FS equally well

• Like 3

I think he could excel at either safety spot. This year he could play the 3rd safety spot. And as much as Hooker gets hurt he could easily slide over and play Hookers spot until he gets back. If we are matching up on a team i like the idea of him and Hooker deep because they are both big ball hawks.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, krunk said:

I really like Thornhill more so than some of the other guys ive seen discussed at safety.

I like him a lot as well. But, not sure I agree with you on his box ability. Worst part of his game IMO. I actually like him best at corner in our scheme with our personnel (having Hooker).

1 hour ago, wig said:

I like him a lot as well. But, not sure I agree with you on his box ability. Worst part of his game IMO. I actually like him best at corner in our scheme with our personnel (having Hooker).

Hes got time and high grades playing Free and Strong safety. Has good numbers tackling against the run. You can see on film he uses good tackling form. I think hes got the size and the frame to do it. As for 2019 he wouldnt have to do it anyway because we still have Geathers. I love his versatility. In 2019 he could play the 3rd safety and some CB. Hes got good scores at all 3 spots. Cb, Ss, and FS.

2 hours ago, wig said:

I agree in saying his best fit might be like what we used to do with Marlin Jackson. Mixing up playing corner and safety roles. I think hed do well at corner for us also.

On 3/28/2019 at 4:17 PM, stitches said:

Depends on how much you trust him that he drafts BPA. If you do, it makes sense. Hooker was obvious BPA. Abram is not as obvious but I can see how he would feel like a perfect fit with what we do and need from our SS, it's very reasonable that Ballard might have him ranked pretty high. 

Uh not really at that time it was more about the position of need

17 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Uh not really at that time it was more about the position of need

Umh... no, it wasn't. Safety was one of the last positions people were thinking about drafting. 

NFLDraftScout - EDGE/LB, CB, RB

Colts.com - CB(10), OLB/EDGE(9), RB(8), ILB(7), TE(6), OL(5)... and then comes S and DL (4)

StampedeBlue - EDGE, CB, LB, RB, DL, OL

ColtsWire - EDGE, CB, ILB, RB

Those are just the ones I found on the first page of a google search... 

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

Umh... no, it wasn't. Safety was one of the last positions people were thinking about drafting. 

NFLDraftScout - EDGE/LB, CB, RB

Colts.com - CB(10), OLB/EDGE(9), RB(8), ILB(7), TE(6), OL(5)... and then comes S and DL (4)

StampedeBlue - EDGE, CB, LB, RB, DL, OL

ColtsWire - EDGE, CB, ILB, RB

Those are just the ones I found on the first page of a google search... 

Lol not even....we didn't even have a decent safety at the time it was definitely a position need back then

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Lol not even....we didn't even have a decent safety at the time it was definitely a position need back then

But he was also BPA. He was a top 5 prospect on NFL.com that fell because of injury. Everybody seemingly wanted Tak McKinnley or Rueben Foster, Tak hasnt done anything and Reuben is practically out of the league. Hard to really slam the Hooker pick at all.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

But he was also BPA. He was a top 5 prospect on NFL.com that fell because of injury. Everybody seemingly wanted Tak McKinnley or Rueben Foster, Tak hasnt done anything and Reuben is practically out of the league. Hard to really slam the Hooker pick at all.

Not really redskins picked him up and he will get his 2nd chance with them he never did assualt that woman she just lied on him twice

37 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Not really redskins picked him up and he will get his 2nd chance with them he never did assualt that woman she just lied on him twice

He has a second chance but if the Colts took him initially they probably would have cut him too. Still smart to bypass his baggage. 

On 3/31/2019 at 3:31 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Still want Deionte Thompson, and could probably scoop him up with the latter 2nd. Use the earlier picks more resourcefully, and still come away with what at one time was believed to be the best safety in the class.

There are 2-3 S candidates that should be still on the board at the end of round 2

On 3/29/2019 at 6:36 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Here's a "highlight" reel on youtube: 

Maybe it's a poor representation of how good he is, but I'm not necessarily impressed. 

I agree, if that is his "highlight clip" there is not much there to like.  He has good speed and his field awareness seems very good but, his tackling is poor. There were several plays that will be flagged for hitting with the crown of the helmet and several other players where most NFL players will shrug off his tackle attempts without even slowing down.  And just about every tackle attempt that was below the shoulders (only about half of them from that clip), he is looking at the ground when he makes contact, that is something I coached out of my kids, it should be unacceptable at the college level.  The video title was "hardest hitting safety in college football" but I did not see many hard hits at all.

I have not watched any full games with Abram but just based on the highlight clip, he is not a first round safety, I would not even draft him in the 2nd round based on that clip.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I agree, if that is his "highlight clip" there is not much there to like.  He has good speed and his field awareness seems very good but, his tackling is poor. There were several plays that will be flagged for hitting with the crown of the helmet and several other players where most NFL players will shrug off his tackle attempts without even slowing down.  And just about every tackle attempt that was below the shoulders (only about half of them from that clip), he is looking at the ground when he makes contact, that is something I coached out of my kids, it should be unacceptable at the college level.  The video title was "hardest hitting safety in college football" but I did not see many hard hits at all.

I have not watched any full games with Abram but just based on the highlight clip, he is not a first round safety, I would not even draft him in the 2nd round based on that clip.

I will admit I need to watch more also but his game reminds me a lot of Geathers.  I don't see a whole lot that is different.  Geathers may be a better tackler.

Good safeties are in abundance in the first three rounds... Rapp, Abrams, Thompson, Gardner-Johnson, Hooker, Savage Jr... etc... 1-2 will probably... not be a safety pick... if Wilkins, Lawrence, Simmons are there... I do not think we pass on 1-2 of them. if Hockenson, Burns is there at 26 and 2 of the 3 others...are on the board, I think 34 becomes best DL there... IMO