Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You will see a lot of different fronts this year

CR91

The dline depth will be something to watch

Run front you can do

Sheard Stewart Hunt Lewis

Pass front

Turay Autry Lewis Houston

Then you have depth with Ward, Mohammed, and most likely two picks on the line. Not to mention Leonard and Moore getting after the QB as well. Ballard wasn't kidding when he said he wanted 8-10 rushers

• Like 3

As ive mentioned in other threads, I wouldnt be surprised to see some looks in the 4-3 "Under" formation that Seattle uses instead of our usual base look. Gets 5 of these guys on the field at a time, and is typically set up to help the WILL make plays, which is never a bad thing when you have a WILL like Leonard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got these musings from owners meetings, including the defensive line, from Holder writing for the Athletic-

Colts’ view is that there is not a wide gulf between the talent at the bottom of the first round and players available throughout the second round and into the third round (this matches Chris Landry's top 148 list) so don't expect a trade up in the early rounds. Later, who knows?

Ballard on defensive backs-  “I’m finishing up (film) on corners and safeties right now. We think there’s some really good depth, especially (in the) late second, third, fourth (rounds). There’s some really good depth in the draft. And then there’s always some later-round guys you like because of traits. We think there’s some good depth there.”

Ballard reiterated to him Houston won’t be the centerpiece of this defensive line. He’ll just be a piece. The Colts plan to deploy a large rotation of defensive linemen, and that will reduce Houston’s workload. It also allows the Colts to put him in optimum situations, like second-and-long and third downs.

Anyhow, one thing I (Holder) couldn’t help but notice was the closeness among Ballard, coach Frank Reich and the Irsay family. Owner Jim Irsay posted up at a table with his family for most of the evening, but Ballard, Reich and their wives were right there, front and center. They all seem to truly enjoy each other’s company. The relationships among the parties are obviously strong and genuine. It’s really difficult to fake that.

Reich discusses T.Y. Hilton-

"Before joining the Colts, Reich said he grossly underestimated Indianapolis’ Pro Bowl wideout. And then he became his coach.

“I’m so fired up about T.Y.,” Reich said. “It was, I don’t want to say a surprise, but just getting to see him do what he did, I never realized how good he was. I realized he was good, but I just didn’t realize how good he was. I always thought, ‘Oh, he’s just one of these fast guys that they just throw the ball deep to.’ I never realized he was such a complete receiver. He’s a great technician, great instincts, and then just a top-notch human being. Exactly the kind of guy you want in your locker room. He’s a continually positive force in your locker room and a leader by example. Really excited about him.”

• Like 7

On 3/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, coltsfeva said:

I wonder if teams will go no huddle to keep Houston out there? Don’t think it’s an issue but at least Reich would call timeout, if Houston was gassed, near the end of a game (unlike Andy Reid in the AFCC game).

Keeping him in a rotation throughout the game will hopefully prevent him from being gassed at the end.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Keeping him in a rotation throughout the game will hopefully prevent him from being gassed at the end.

That is exactly what Ballard said he is working for. If we don't get gassed in the 4th quarter we should be able to win more games. Especially those games we should have won.