Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gerald McCoy anyone??

Looks like the Bucs are seriously considering getting rid of him. We could have him for a late round pick. His contract is 3 years 38.4 million, all not guaranteed. I look at guys like that for our system, quick and disruptive. I think he'd be a guy we could get for a year or two that could really make a splash..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

pass. one 12+M FA is enough along the front 4. 

i'd rather draft an iDL with the first pick.

if there's money just sitting there unused, then sure. but wouldn't sacrifice somewhere else for him. 

We have plenty of that. And if its all non-guaranteed, whats the harm? Get him for a year. Draft a Wilkins/Tillery. McCoy can play and tutor, then cut him if he isnt required. Easy.

23 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

We have plenty of that. And if its all non-guaranteed, whats the harm? Get him for a year. Draft a Wilkins/Tillery. McCoy can play and tutor, then cut him if he isnt required. Easy.

not claiming to be an expert capologist, but i would not assume there's no plan for the 74M in cap space left. We have to spend roughly 54M (we can carry around 20M) still, but we're reported to be working on extensions for 3-5 guys. none of us really know what's free and clear. 

15 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

not claiming to be an expert capologist, but i would not assume there's no plan for the 74M in cap space left. We have to spend roughly 54M (we can carry around 20M) still, but we're reported to be working on extensions for 3-5 guys. none of us really know what's free and clear. 

We don’t have to spend 54 million at all. We have about 10 towards draft picks and that’s all. Ballard can hold onto nearly 64 if he wanted to. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

yup. it's an average. do you know what that 4 year number looks like?  (it shouldn't be to far away)

One of the guys on here had it figured out. I think we were around 50% before the start of this year, but don't quote me on that. I can't remember the thread that it's in, but Ballard was quoted as knowing where they are now(obviously as he should)and how much they need to spend through next year to meet the 89%.

This and next years' draft class, whatever FA's that we pick up through next year, and some extensions this year and next with our own, I don't think we'll have much problem meeting the marker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

yup. it's an average. do you know what that 4 year number looks like?  (it shouldn't be to far away)

You are a little off for sure. We do not have to spend 50 mil to hit this number. Ballard has also stated he does not care about this. He will not force feed money out the door. But again there are rumors of extensions possibly happening with our own guys which happens to go right with this. So this year and next year he will spend as needed and as he said if he is a little short then it will be handled he does not care. 

16 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

One of the guys on here had it figured out. I think we were around 50% before the start of this year, but don't quote me on that. I can't remember the thread that it's in, but Ballard was quoted as knowing where they are now(obviously as he should)and how much they need to spend through next year to meet the 89%.

This and next years' draft class, whatever FA's that we pick up through next year, and some extensions this year and next with our own, I don't think we'll have much problem meeting the marker.

I don't either. I tried googling as normally there's an article or two for each team that breaks things down, but couldn't really find anything for the Colts. 

One thing I did find, which surprised me, was the position spending per team. We're #1 in total O, and 3rd in both WR and TE. I could see the TE, but was surprised about WR. Given the overall ratings of the WR group, you'd think we had 3 or 4 studs based on rank.... and we're towards the bottom on RB spending.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/positional/

• Like 1

Absolutely. He is exactly the type of player this team should be looking to add. He's a great fit scheme-wise...still very productive...a great locker room presence and a willing mentor for the young DL players. He provides an immediate upgrade and keeps the Colts from having to rely on a rookie to be impactful immediately. 

And, most importantly, it's a move that will help them win over the next two years...which Ballard showed was a priority when he signed Houston.

Just wait until he is released...and then scoop him up. I imagine the Colts would be a very attractive option for him at this point.

On 3/27/2019 at 12:48 PM, Irish YJ said:

a team has to spend 89% of cap if i understand it correctly.

No, that isn't correct.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:19 PM, BleedBlu8792 said:

That is over a 4 year period, this is year 3. It's not a yearly thing.

Yeah, pretty much.  I guess to try to make it as easy as possible for some to grasp, take the NFL hard cap allowed each year (forget rollover, unused cap space,etc. etc...) from 2017 through 2020 (granted, the 2020 cap number is yet to  be set, but teams can guesstimate it fairly well).  Add them together. Multiply that figure by 0.89.  This is the gross figure a team must have paid all of the their players during that period in base salary plus all bonuses (cash spending) added together.

Should a team come up short at the end of 2020, the difference between what was paid out and what was required must be sent to the NFLPA.  The NFLPA will decide how to  distribute that shortfall back to the players that were on the 53 man roster at sometime during that time frame.  That's it, nothing else.  Also, no team has ever failed to meet that 89% payment in cash over a 4 year period.   So far. Yet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

No, that isn't correct.

Yeah, pretty much.  I guess to try to make it as easy as possible for some to grasp, take the NFL hard cap allowed each year (forget rollover, unused cap space,etc. etc...) from 2017 through 2020 (granted, the 2020 cap number is yet to  be set, but teams can guesstimate it fairly well).  Add them together. Multiply that figure by 0.89.  This is the gross figure a team must have paid all of the their players during that period in base salary plus all bonuses (cash spending) added together.

Should a team come up short at the end of 2020, the difference between what was paid out and what was required must be sent to the NFLPA.  The NFLPA will decide how to  distribute that shortfall back to the players that were on the 53 man roster at sometime during that time frame.  That's it, nothing else.  Also, no team has ever failed to meet that 89% payment in cash over a 4 year period.   So far. 

Pretty easy to see why CB says he isn't worried. If they don't reach that figure, the NFLPA just takes the money anyway.

Everything I've read on it doesn't imply there are any further penalties?

On 3/30/2019 at 11:13 AM, RNGDShobby said:

Pretty easy to see why CB says he isn't worried. If they don't reach that figure, the NFLPA just takes the money anyway.

Everything I've read on it doesn't imply there are any further penalties?

They'll meet their target pretty easily with the extensions of guys this year and next, 2 draft classes, and whatever FA they continue bringing in this year and next.