Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential UDFA's

Potential undrafted free agents that can fight for depth spots:

Kurron Ramsey - S - Alabama State - Rangy 6'3" centerfield type FS that also is a solid tackler. Would be a strong compliment to Hooker in nickel/dime.

Emmanuel Butler - WR - Northern Arizona - Big bodied receiver at 6'4" and 220ish. Imjuries limited his 2017 and a few games in early 2018. Healed now and has all the traits needed at the NFL level.

Albert Huggins - DT - Clemson - he was the primary backup to Lawrence and Wilkins. He more than held his own when required to start and did well to spell them. He would have started for every other FBS team.

Justin Hollins - DE - Oregon - Jelks gets more exposure, but Hollins continues to progess slowly. At 6'5" and 250 he has the size, the speed off the edge and has good bend.

Ryan Pope - OT - At 6'7" and 315 with 34" arms he has the size to work with. Was a RT and then switched to LT. Needs to build a better anchor for pass blocking but blocked well for the past two leading rushers in the FBS.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, wig said:

Hollins is a better fit in a 34 and will get drafted before Jelks. In a 43 I did see a Barr comparison which I thought was interesting. 

Heyyyy nice to have an actual comment, minus the *s above!

He may get drafted on projections, not necessarily on production. We shall see I suppose.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Heyyyy nice to have an actual comment, minus the *s above!

He may get drafted on projections, not necessarily on production. We shall see I suppose.

14.5 TFLs, 6.5 sacks and a pick isn't good enough production as a Sr to get drafted?  Running 4.5 flat doesn't hurt. 

I'm guessing he's a 4-6th rounder. 

I'm an Oregon fan. So maybe biased, but like I said he gets taken before Jelks. Not actually sure Jelks gets taken. 

3 hours ago, wig said:

14.5 TFLs, 6.5 sacks and a pick isn't good enough production as a Sr to get drafted?  Running 4.5 flat doesn't hurt. 

I'm guessing he's a 4-6th rounder. 

I'm an Oregon fan. So maybe biased, but like I said he gets taken before Jelks. Not actually sure Jelks gets taken. 

Fair enough, I suppose there are always teams that draft purely off of measurables and production in their senior year? I still kinda hope he falls to us and our coaching staff as a project!

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Fair enough, I suppose there are always teams that draft purely off of measurables and production in their senior year? I still kinda hope he falls to us and our coaching staff as a project!

Or his 11 TFLs and 4.5 sacks as a junior?  36 TFLs and 14 sacks in three years is plenty of production. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2019 at 9:10 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Kurron Ramsey - S - Alabama State - Rangy 6'3" centerfield type FS that also is a solid tackler. Would be a strong compliment to Hooker in nickel/dime.

Depth, or undrafted starter? (which begs... why?)

Emmanuel Butler - WR - Northern Arizona - Big bodied receiver at 6'4" and 220ish. Imjuries limited his 2017 and a few games in early 2018. Healed now and has all the traits needed at the NFL level.

Here's another 10 closely graded possibles for UDFA-

46. ALEX WESLEY–NORTHERN COLORADO
47. JOHNNIE DIXON–OHIO STATE
48. JOHN URSUA–HAWAII
49. RYAN DAVIS–AUBURN
50. TYRON JOHNSON–OKLAHOMA STATE
51. DEANDRE THOMPKINS–PENN STATE
52. TONY POLLARD–MEMPHIS
53. JAYLEN SMITH–LOUISVILLE
54. EMMANUEL BUTLER–NORTHERN ARIZONA
55. JORDAN BROWN–TULSA
56. JON DUHART–OLD DOMINION

Albert Huggins - DT - Clemson - he was the primary backup to Lawrence and Wilkins. He more than held his own when required to start and did well to spell them. He would have started for every other FBS team.

Justin Hollins - DE - Oregon - Jelks gets more exposure, but Hollins continues to progess slowly. At 6'5" and 250 he has the size, the speed off the edge and has good bend.

We can always use D line help.

Ryan Pope - OT - At 6'7" and 315 with 34" arms he has the size to work with. Was a RT and then switched to LT. Needs to build a better anchor for pass blocking but blocked well for the past two leading rushers in the FBS.

Here's a few more, apparently about same grade-

26. TREY PIPKINS–SIOUX FALLS
27. WILLIAM SWEET–NORTH CAROLINA
28. TYREE ST. LOUIS–MIAMI FL
29. BRANDON KNIGHT–INDIANA
30. CALVIN ANDERSON–TEXAS
31. RYAN POPE–SAN DIEGO STATE
32. CASEY TUCKER–ARIZONA STATE
33. JUSTIN SKULE–VANDERBILT
34. TYLER ROEMER–SAN DIEGO STATE
35. BRIAN WALLACE–ARKANSAS
36. ETHAN GREENIDGE–VILLANOVA

@ColtsBlueFL I appreciate the response.

I'll start with Pope as to the reason I like him over others around him. 1. Size - can't coach his frame or LONG arms. 2. Pumphrey and Penny were FBS rushing leaders with him at tackle. So there is definitely clay than can be molded there. If we want to run the ball more effectively, he's good at that, just needs some coaching in pass pro and how to properly use his size/length.

Albert Huggins, what can I say I loved him as a prospect after he dominated Notre Dame's offensive line in their playoff game this year. He is under the radar because of being behind the other two monsters of the midway. At 6'3" and 315 lbs he's played both tackle spots effectively in his career.

Hollins, I love his length and speed (which will likely get him drafted now) but I hadn't heard any buzz around him figuring everyone was eyeballing Jelks. I'd love to pick him up in the late rounds or UDFA though. His skillset is also malleable - if he reacts to coaching well.

I like Butler for his measurables. Can't coach that, but he's built like Funchess and perhaps he could be groomed into a solid contributor!?

Ramsey, more as depth at either spot at 6'3" and 213 lbs. Ran a 4.5 40 and can lay some wood. Odum and Farley are former UDFA's that have played well or shown flashes in Odum's case. On film he played in the box and as the single high, so he has experience in both. 

• Like 1

The team that everyone is forgetting about this year is Conference USA Champion: UAB.

The University of Alabama at Birmingham Blazers is the team that was dissolved for two years and came back from the ashes and for this magic trick, their head coach Bill Clark won college football's coach of the year in 2018. One of its graduates who is eligible for the NFL draft is Jamell Garcia-Williams. He is a DE who is 6'7, 255 lbs and had 9.5 sacks last year. With his size, perhaps he can be the next Margus Hunt?

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 7:15 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Not a fan of this guy so I hate using him as an example, but he has him mocked in the 3rd and says he should be higher. That seems a bit high to me. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024601/article/fourround-2019-nfl-mock-draft-qb-wr-for-patriots-in-round-3

1 hour ago, wig said:

Not a fan of this guy so I hate using him as an example, but he has him mocked in the 3rd and says he should be higher. That seems a bit high to me. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024601/article/fourround-2019-nfl-mock-draft-qb-wr-for-patriots-in-round-3

Third round, well that 40 time must have bumped him up 3-4 rounds then?

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Right after getting MVP of the East West game.  Just saw Bucky Brooks talking about him as a sleeper on the NFL Network as well. Seems to be a riser in general. 

18 hours ago, EJRAMSEY said:

Interesting. Quote:   "The 6’6 QB can move the ball with his legs and feet."  How about his arm?

He did not make Chris Landry's top round 7 list (below)

3 hours ago, wig said:

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

2 hours ago, wig said:

Right after getting MVP of the East West game.  Just saw Bucky Brooks talking about him as a sleeper on the NFL Network as well. Seems to be a riser in general. 

Not a sleeper or riser, to at least one guy- Chris Landry who already had him mid/late 2nd round.

6.5 = Mid to Late 1st Round Value

1. DWAYNE HASKINS–OHIO STATE
2. KYLER MURRAY–OKLAHOMA (H)

6.4 – 6.0 = Potential Starter  (3)

6.4 = Early 2nd Round Value

3. DREW LOCK–MISSOURI
4. DANIEL JONES–DUKE

6.0 = Mid to Late 2nd Round Value

5.  RYAN FINLEY–NORTH CAROLINA STATE

5.9 – 5.5 = Has a chance to make and Contribute (5)

5.9 = 3rd Round Value

6. JARRETT STIDHAM–AUBURN
7. WILL GRIER–WEST VIRGINIA

5.5 = 4th Round Value

8. CLAYTON THORSON–NORTHWESTERN
9. BRETT RYPIEN–BOISE STATE
10. GARDNER MINSHEW–WASHINGTON STATE

5.4 – 5.0 = Potential back up Contributor/Roster Player (8)

5.4 = 5th to 6th Round Value

11. JORDAN TAAMU–OLE MISS
12. TYREE JACKSON–BUFFALO

5.0 = 7th Round to Priority Free Agent Value

13. KYLE SHURMUR–VANDERBILT
14. EASTON STICK–NORTH DAKOTA STATE
15. ERIC DUNGEY–SYRACUSE
16. TAYLOR CORNELIUS–OKLAHOMA STATE
17. TRACE MCSORLEY–PENN STATE
18. JAKE BROWNING–WASHINGTON

FS /SS – Kurron Ramsey – Alabama State

School: Alabama State

Height : 6’3        

Weight: 214 lbs

Arm : 31 3/8         

Hand: 9 “  Wingspan: 75”

Forty –    4:49

Reps at 225 – 10   

Vertical 34 1/2

Broad Jump 10.3 

All  Conference Swac 2018

All Star Bowl invites & accepted The FCS Bowl & The Tropical Bowl

Best Games –     14 tackles vs Tuskegee 9/1    & 10 tackles vs Alcorn State 10/ 6  

Hometown : Brandywine, M.D.

Hits like a hammer insane burst extra long arms on every DB’s coaches dream a 6 ft 3 200 plus pound  versatile safety that knows how & is willing to use his size on taking assignments coverages or special teams. Staying with my theme of DB’s that are not afraid to get dirty & lay the smackdown when needed.  Enter Ramsey a tall, rangy strong DB from Bama State that shows to have enough speed to help in coverage. Although i see his best attribute as an attack style safety in the box or in zone. Doubt you will see him in 1 on 1 situations except with TE’s & RB’s. That’s where he shines that’s hi greatest attribute size  & technique a deadly combo. Fun player to watch could be a dominant piece of a good secondary in the very near future.

In Pass Protection – Scouting Notes

Mostly watched him in zone coverage knows how to use his reach & ball skills to disrupt plays. Win the jump ball  physical knock the ball down Very good laterally tacking angles in zone formations. Go up & knock the ball down or get the PBU  vertical threat. Does Not lose much momentum in change of direction. Got the range with a good understanding of zone concept puts himself in position to make plays.  Tracks the ball well can close or cut off a route for a turnover or pass deflection. Will be able to cover bigger targets like TE’s or power backs that can catch out the backfield.

Tackling & Against The Run – Scouting Notes

Monster on run blitz & run attack fits he could fit that spear or 3rd safety role. Lays out on tackles real strong upper half to take even the big backs down. Intensity hits the right angles good bounce decent bend haven’t watched a ton of backpedaling. in the the ASU  D he generally keeps the offensive weapon in front. He did show some good motion in the hips very quick feet for a big physical safety prospect. Read & react first good jump off the line intense instinct explodes into tackles plays with the physicality most coaches crave at the safety position. Has the Holy trinity just needs the right situation to improve on a nice college career