Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Forbes: Colts working on extensions for 4 players (AC, Kelly, Moore, Rigo)

Fisticuffs111

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I saw this, but I dont know how true it is. AC and Moore make sense, but why work on an extension with kelly when we have a fifth year option and Sanchez for two more years

Doesn't Rigo only have one year left?

Also I think Forbes' pretty respectable.

• Like 1

Very pleased about the news of working on extensions for the core four.   Very pleased.

Very concerned if there is any truth to this rumor about releasing Sheard.  I won’t believe it until there’s something more concrete.    The guy has graded in or near the 90’s in his two seasons with us.   There aren’t many players in the NFL who grade out that way.   Ballard himself has noted that Sheard is a locker room leader.  Cutting a guy like that sends the exact wrong message at this important point in the rebuild. 

This is a very smart front office.   I’ll believe it when it happens and not a minute sooner.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Very pleased about the news of working on extensions for the core four.   Very pleased.

Very concerned if there is any truth to this rumor about releasing Sheard.  I won’t believe it until there’s something more concrete.    The guy has graded in or near the 90’s in his two seasons with us.   There aren’t many players in the NFL who grade out that way.   Ballard himself has noted that Sheard is a locker room leader.  Cutting a guy like that sends the exact wrong message at thus important point in the rebuild. 

This is a very smart front office.   I’ll believe it when it happens and not a minute sooner.

Yeah, I like Sheard a lot. I wonder if part of it could be he might just wanna eventually test the market...potentially get one last big deal (if at all possible)? Or maybe like with Desir/Geathers, even though he's much more proven, let him test the market and see if we wanna match or go higher? I don't know, just guessing. 

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yes, but then hes a restricted free agent

Sure, but the point I thought you were trying to make was why sign him when he has two years left, when he only has one...right? Being an RFA just means you can match any deal made to retain him.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Sure, but the point I thought you were making was why sign him when he has two years left, when he only has one...right? Being an RFA just means you can match any deal made to him to retain him.

My point is theres no point extending him now when we basically have him for two more years (RFA basically means we'll get him back unless he gets an insane offer which I doubt). I dont know just seems weird. Ill wait til something more concrete is reported. 

15 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

First one to call Sheard potentially getting cut. He's a respectable player, but he is being paid $8 million, and he can easily be replaced. 

Since we play 8 DL and want 10 on the roster, then NO, he can’t easily be replaced.   We can easily afford his salary and since we want our DL to come in waves (Ballard’s words) then we NEED Sheard.   

Cutting a player who has not underperformed is the wrong message to send to the team.

And I have to wonder where this info would come from?   The Cokts don’t leak.   So who would reveal this?   I don’t see what an agent would have to gain?   If Sheard gets cut, it will take no time to get a good offer.   This doesn’t add up for me at all.  

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

My point is theres no point extending him now when we basically have him for two more years (RFA basically means we'll get him back unless he gets an insane offer which I doubt). I dont know just seems weird. Ill wait til something more concrete is reported. 

The reason to extend now instead of two years is that the asking price is only going to go up.   So try to lock him up sooner before the cost gets really crazy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reason to extend now instead of two years is that the asking price is only going to go up.   So try to lock him up sooner before the cost gets really crazy.

You mean Kelly? Centers dont make ridiculous contracts

Just now, CR91 said:

If Kelley performs at an All-Pro Level next year, he will likely set the market for centers, $14-$15 million a year IMO. If we could get him extended for $10-$11 mill per year now why wouldn't we??

Especially if we could start the extension after next season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

He’s going to be looking at $10 mill per soon.   Then you also have to pay AC and Q and Smith.  

Someday soon we’re going to be spending big $$$$ on the OL.   If this is true, Ballard is trying to keep costs under control.   Paying sooner rather than later is a way to do it. 

• Like 3

Just now, Colts1324 said:

If Kelley performs at an All-Pro Level next year, he will likely set the market for centers, $14-$15 million a year IMO. If we could get him extended for $10-$11 mill per year now why wouldn't we??

Especially if we could start the extension after next season. 

Thats highly unlikely. You extend now and you lose the fifth year option.

Just want to point out that this is Chad Forbes, who is known for throwing % at the wall and waiting to see if anything sticks. Just think about it - look at how tight of a ship Ballard is running. Practically nothing leaks until it's a done deal. I guess agents can leak that the Colts are working towards extensions, although... they don't really have much of an incentive to leak that info, while negotiations are going on. How in hell would this rando known for his false reports be the one with the scoop, rather than any of the big fish?

And the Sheard thing... who could possibly know that and why in hell would they leak it before it's a done deal, what would the people that know of such thing gain from a leak about potentially releasing Sheard before he's released? 

Hammer me if this truly happens, but this makes zero sense. IMO this again is Forbes throwing feces at the wall... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Thats highly unlikely. You extend now and you lose the fifth year option.

Yeah, I see both sides. I would expect an extension after next season. 

However, Ballard does always prefer to think ahead. Either way, expect Kelley to stay with us for many more years. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s going to be looking at $10 mill per soon.   Then you also have to pay AC and Q and Smith.  

Someday soon we’re going to be spending big $$$$ on the OL.   If this is true, Ballard is trying to keep costs under control.   Paying sooner rather than later is a way to do it. 

I get that, but that is still years dont the road. I rather take advantage of the fifth year option. Centers dont break the bank

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just want to point out that this is Chad Forbes, who is known for throwing % at the wall and waiting to see if anything sticks. Just think about it - look at how tight of a ship Ballard is running. Practically nothing leaks until it's a done deal. I guess agents can leak that the Colts are working towards extensions, although... they don't really have much of an incentive to leak that info, while negotiations are going on. But the Sheard thing... who could possibly know that and why in hell would they leak it before it's a done deal, what would the people that know of such thing gain from a leak about potentially releasing Sheard? 

Hammer me if this truly happens, but this makes zero sense. IMO this again is Forbes throwing feces at the wall... 

I really thought his Sheard statement was a throwaway speculative bit. And he didn't say or imply anything about releasing him, at least that's not how I read it.

The Colts run a tight ship definitely, agreed on that. But then, Allbright called Houston potentially going to the Colts right before it happened. Could've been a lucky guess, sure, but I don't think it's impossible for leaks to get out here and there.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I saw this, but I dont know how true it is. AC and Moore make sense, but why work on an extension with kelly when we have a fifth year option and Sanchez for two more years

I can't vouch for the truth of the report, but i will say that players get extended right before or during that option year a lot. I am pretty sure Luck signed his deal right after we picked up his option... Grigson just adjusted the numbers so that he basically got paid more in that (technically) first year of the deal to compensate for the lower amount he was owed from the fifth year of the rookie deal.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s not an automatic.   Every negotiation is different.   We can structure things any way we can as long as Kelly agrees

Not sure you can add an option to a contract. This isn't basketball

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since we play 8 DL and want 10 on the roster, then NO, he can’t easily be replaced.   We can easily afford his salary and since we want our DL to come in waves (Ballard’s words) then we NEED Sheard.   

Cutting a player who has not underperformed is the wrong message to send to the team.

And I have to wonder where this info would come from?   The Cokts don’t leak.   So who would reveal this?   I don’t see what an agent would have to gain?   If Sheard gets cut, it will take no time to get a good offer.   This doesn’t add up for me at all.  

Colts D-Line for 2019: 

DE: 

Houston/FA/Turay/Lewis/Muhammad/ Sheard

DT: Autry/Hunt/Ward/draft pick

I fully expect us to draft a DT in the upcoming draft. That leaves us with 10 defensive lineman next year given we sign another edge rusher in FA. IF we draft a DE as well in the draft that leaves us with 11 players on the D-Line. 

You also have to take into account that Sheard likely wants to start, and he very well could have limited snaps next offseason. If he stays, that's great. More depth. We'll see. 

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I really thought his Sheard statement was a throwaway speculative bit. And he didn't say or imply anything about releasing him, at least that's not how I read it.

True on second read, it indeed reads more like a wild speculation. Which again goes to my point - Forbes is known for wild speculations and false reports. He just throws stuff out there without any real sourcing, but pretending he's in the know. He seems a bit like a version of Brad Wells. 

Your read of that part - that we might let him go once his contract is up is reasonable, especially if the young players we've drafted or added over the last year and the ones we undoubtedly will add this year, show enough development to be trusted long-term. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I can't vouch for the truth of the report, but i will say that players get extended right before or during that option year a lot. I am pretty sure Luck signed his deal right after we picked up his option... Grigson just adjusted the numbers so that he basically got paid more in that (technically) first year of the deal to compensate for the lower amount he was owed from the fifth year of the rookie deal.

Yes they discuss an extension after not before they excerise the fifth year

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not sure you can add an option to a contract. This isn't basketball

Add an option?    Kelly already HAS an option.   But you can add more years after the option if the two sides want.

Extending the deal doesn’t automatically mean losing the option as you’ve stated.   Not that I’m aware of.

16 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The Colts run a tight ship definitely, agreed on that. But then, Allbright called Houston potentially going to the Colts right before it happened. Could've been a lucky guess, sure, but I don't think it's impossible for leaks to get out here and there.

That is how I read it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Add an option?    Kelly already HAS an option.   But you can add more years after the option if the two sides want.

Extending the deal doesn’t automatically mean losing the option as you’ve stated.   Not that I’m aware of.

Im pretty sure once hes extended, the option is gone

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

True on second read, it indeed reads more like a wild speculation. Which again goes to my point - Forbes is known for wild speculations and false reports. He just throws stuff out there without any real sourcing, but pretending he's in the know. He seems a bit like a version of Brad Wells. 

Your read of that part - that we might let him go once his contract is up is reasonable, especially if the young players we've drafted or added over the last year and the ones we undoubtedly will add this year, show enough development to be trusted long-term. 

You could very well be right. I guess I didn't know of Forbes' reputation that much. I only remembered that he was calling early on that the Browns could hire within for their HC...but then, that could've just been one of the feces flinging that actually stuck. Not to mention it was a vague report at the time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

BTW funny that you would mention Allbright because he's actually a LEGIT reporter and he does have sources. He's actually low key one of the best reporters that is not widely known to the public. So... about Allbright. He was calling out Forbes on his 'reporting' a while ago... Follow the replies to that one:

Here's pretty much the whole Denver locker room and some people already gone from it disputing his reports:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/2/8/18217442/teammates-former-teammates-and-insiders-respond-to-false-accusations-made-against-matt-paradis

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

BTW funny that you would mention Allbright because he's actually a LEGIT reporter and he does have sources. He's actually low key one of the best reporters that is not widely known to the public. So... about Allbright. He was calling out Forbes on his 'reporting' a while ago... Follow the replies to that one:

Here's pretty much the whole Denver locker room and some people already gone from it disputing his reports:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/2/8/18217442/teammates-former-teammates-and-insiders-respond-to-false-accusations-made-against-matt-paradis

Ah well that's interesting. And I totally agree on Allbright. Lotta people hated him before this offseason, before his accuracy had been kinda undeniable, but I always thought he had to have had some good connects.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Ah well that's interesting. And I totally agree on Allbright. Lotta people hated him before this offseason, before his accuracy had been kinda undeniable, but I always thought he had to have had some good connects.

BTW... I don't blame you for posting this report. I've done the same before(posted Forbes reporting) before I knew about his reputation too. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW... I don't blame you for posting this report. I've done the same before(posted Forbes reporting) before I knew about his reputation too. 

Oh it's all good. I more just feel bad for potentially getting hopes up that Ballard was working on contract extensions. Ah well, live and learn.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Im pretty sure once hes extended, the option is gone

I might be misunderstanding, but i don't see why it would be important. Of course the option disappears when the new contract is signed, but what advantage does the label of being in an option year have over an extension?

If you are saying that it is unwise to give him the extension early because the option will be cheaper, then i guess i understand... but it is no guarantee that it will be cheaper because you may be able to get a better deal with an extension this offseason compared to next... also, failing to extend him could mean he tests the market and ends up on another team.

I don't know how much his fifth year option is worth, but it is probably pretty pricey when you consider his position... maybe it is still cheaper than he's worth, but it isn't the same as having an option on a QB, who, if he plays well could save you 15 mil or more on an option for that fifth season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks to @Stiches and @Fisticuffs for dropping a large bucket of cold water on Forbes’ report.

I hope this goes away.....

hah yeah, if this gets merged into FA news/wherever I wouldn't be upset. Didn't wanna get people's hopes up on what turns out to be a suspect report.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Oh it's all good. I more just feel bad for potentially getting hopes up that Ballard was working on contract extensions. Ah well, live and learn.

I mean... it's reasonable to expect him to be working on an extension for AC for example, we've all been talking about it around here for the last week or so. It's not some extraordinary claim. The problem is when it's presented as a sourced info(which I doubt Forbes has), rather than as what we all do here - speculations and conjectures. 

• Like 3