Sign in to follow this  
Colts_Fan12

LBs in the draft

what's everyone's opinions on the LBs that could be available for us in the draft? are any of them good in coverage or what?

I really like Mack Wilson and he’d be a steal if he lasted to our late 2nd, although I doubt he will. I wouldn’t wanna invest our 1st or 34th overall on a LB though. I also like Germaine Pratt as a round 3 prospect. 

If Devin Bush is there at 26, I think he'd be a solid selection. A tad short, but he's pretty decent in coverage. Bush will fill the Mike position for the Colts.

• Like 1

Mack Wilson is a great coverage middle linebacker. Outside of that, I'm sure Ballard will pick up a late rounder like Adams or Franklin.

I like Cameron Smith in the middle rounds. Team captain at USC who can cover and has good instincts. Has Ballard written all over him.

Bobby Okereke is also a guy I like. Has a Darius Leonard frame and plus athleticism. He’s raw though.

5 hours ago, MPStack said:

If Devin Bush is there at 26, I think he'd be a solid selection. A tad short, but he's pretty decent in coverage. Bush will fill the Mike position for the Colts.

Please, no more UM players lol. I'd love Bush, but not in the place of a 1st round DT or early second round WR... 

Take Coney in the 4th or 5th. He'd be an upgrade.

Devin Bush MAY make it to our spot, and should absolutely be considered

The guy can play

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Please, no more UM players lol. I'd love Bush, but not in the place of a 1st round DT or early second round WR... 

Actually..... I have heard the foul smell from U of M, actually fades after 12-18 months

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Actually..... I have heard the foul smell from U of M, actually fades after 12-18 months

i think you are being a little aggressive. that damn smell lingers. 24-36 maybe.... :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not big on drafting a LB this year. I'd like to see how our existing players have progressed.

7 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Take Coney in the 4th or 5th. He'd be an upgrade.

All I am saying is.... you have to consider him...... IF...IF the top DL players are gone

I hope Clelin Ferril makes it to the 26th pick (I dont think he will)

I believe Tillary will be there at 26,

IF THEY are both gone..... What DL player is WORTH a 26th pick?

If Bush is still on the board, (And the above 2 are both gone) I would have a VERY tough time picking between Bush and Chauncy Gardner

They both can change games.......  Gardner and Bush, can both cover the TE, Both have a nose for the ball, and both can get and cause turnovers.

They both can blitz....... and are fast enough to cause a pressure, or a sack

I dont see a "game changer" DL player at 26 if the above guys are gone

The DL "game changers" will be taken in top 18-20 Picks

To me...... game changers on defense would seem to be of interest

Bush is one of my biggest wants. I like Mack as well and would be okay with him at 34. They really need better coverage out of the MLB spot, and I think the system covers the run well in general. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

All I am saying is.... you have to consider him...... IF...IF the top DL players are gone

I hope Clelin Ferril makes it to the 26th pick (I dont think he will)

I believe Tillary will be there at 26,

IF THEY are both gone..... What DL player is WORTH a 26th pick?

If Bush is still on the board, (And the above 2 are both gone) I would have a VERY tough time picking between Bush and Chauncy Gardner

They both can change games.......  Gardner and Bush, can both cover the TE, Both have a nose for the ball, and both can get and cause turnovers.

They both can blitz....... and are fast enough to cause a pressure, or a sack

I dont see a "game changer" DL player at 26 if the above guys are gone

The DL "game changers" will be taken in top 18-20 Picks

To me...... game changers on defense would seem to be of interest

Ferril won't be there. Simmons is dropping hard and will be available, maybe our 2 or 3rd pick. He's a game wrecker... , and while a top ten talent, he'll be out for a year recovery.  Tillery is rising so that will be a close call at 26. Lawrence will be there although I'm not a fan. Dre'mont Jones is rising and will likely go 25-35. I do like him. I don't think he peaked well in 2018, but is still raw. I think his ceiling is high.

CJG should definitely not be our 1st IMO. He's rated currently somewhere between 40-55th best player. He is rising though, but still wouldn't call him a game changer. Plenty of flaws to his game. At most, maybe our second pick, and maybe still available for our 3rd. Check out Thornhill. If you liek CJG, you might like Thornhill's film better. I think he has a higher ceiling. Both are rising. CJG gets the press because he went a DB school. IMO, the fact Thornhill did not, makes him more impressive (along with his film).

On 3/22/2019 at 7:48 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

what's everyone's opinions on the LBs that could be available for us in the draft? are any of them good in coverage or what?

Thanks for posting.  I haven't even taken the time to read most of the LB prospect bios on Walter Football and wanted to hear which ones people think can cover.

• Like 1

A late round sleeper pick would be Ulysees Grant III out of Akron. 

Per Terry Bowden (his coach) he compares him favorably to Takeo Spikes (whom he also coached). 

Sideline-to-sideline speed and can cover tightends and running backs.

• Like 1

I'm not super high on any LB past the two Devins. If the draft boards I've seen are right IMO there is value in Bobby Okereke from Stanford and Gary Johnson from Texas. I think both would be great value if we can get them with the late 4th picks or later.