Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shane Ray visiting the colts

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I have no idea who this is. I will be interested what others think.

Hes a former first round pick for the broncos. Imo, he didn't really get a fair shot in denver. He has potential

• Like 4

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Shane Ray is a former First round pick that never really planned out in Denver. And when they added Chubb that pretty much killed his chances of remaining with the team. 

I would prefer Shane Ray to Aaron Lynch. Would be a nice signing. 

I've been trying to tell people Sheard very well could be cut, especially if we sign another DE. If we add another one in the draft as well, we will have to cut somebody on the outside. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

I've been trying to tell people Sheard very well could be cut, especially if we sign another DE. If we add another one in the draft as well, we will have to cut somebody on the outside. 

I don’t think Sheard will be cut , his ability to play the run and set the edge makes him an absolute commodity here.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Very well could be after his contact is up.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Hes a former first round pick for the broncos. Imo, he didn't really get a fair shot in denver. He has potential

Agreed injuries always hindered him. The argument against him by broncos fans were if you couldn’t win opposite of Von Miller than you’re no good. But he rarely was ever 100% healthy. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Uhm, what is up with Ballard bringing in OLB’s from 3-4 to our 4-3 when he shipped Simon out last year.... 

They may see him as a LB. He was a LB in Denver.   Justin Houston is built like a 4-3 DE anyway, has always had good strength and flexibility. He could thrive in either scheme.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Uhm, what is up with Ballard bringing in OLB’s from 3-4 to our 4-3 when he shipped Simon out last year.... 

A lot of the ones, such as Ray, that fail in a 3-4, usually do better in a 4-3.  3-4 LBs are very very hard to find good ones.  They're a unique set.  Simon was cut because, at least i believe, just like Hankins, was due to the player expressing no desire to change over.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I figured we'd see that name at some point. Wondering whether they see him as a Sam LB or a DE? He was a 4/3 DE at missouri but it wouldn't surprise me if they see him as a LB.

Wondering the same thing is he still in the 240 range seems pretty small to play DE in out scheme unless there looking for a situational pass rusher .

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard is very good at taking other teams misfits and turning them into stars. We could quickly be very loaded at DE. Which will free us up in the draft. Maybe even to possibly move back and get more picks if the the guy we want is not there.

wouldn't call him a misfit. Had a great second year in 2016. he simply was uber plagued by wrist injury in 2017/2018.

Just now, krunk said:

They may see him as a LB. He was a LB in Denver.   Justin Houston is built like a 4-3 DE anyway

he played olb like Houston (scheme wise). he's a couple inches shorter than Turay, but less than 10lbs lighter. He'll play DE IMO.  

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

A lot of the ones, such as Ray, that fail in a 3-4, usually do better in a 4-3.  3-4 LBs are very very hard to find good ones.  They're a unique set.  Simon was cut because, at least i believe, just like Hankins, was due to the player expressing no desire to change over.

Ray didn't fail. He had a fantastic year 2 with Denver in 2016, and was injured 2017/2018 and had multiple surgeries. 

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

wouldn't call him a misfit. Had a great second year in 2016. he simply was uber plagued by wrist injury in 2017/2018.

he played olb like Houston (scheme wise). he's a couple inches shorter than Turay, but less than 10lbs lighter. He'll play DE IMO.  

By misfit I just meant that teams who have given up on players we seem to take them and turn them into stars.

Sounds like this guy has some potential.

8 sacks in 16 games in 2016 but 2 sacks over the last 2 seasons with 19 games played.  The potential and skill set is there.  If anyone is curious about his size, he's 6'3" 245 lb.  Which is a bit small for DE but if he added around 10-15 lb he could. 

Colts DE Measurements: 

Turay - 6'5" 253 lb 

Sheard - 6'3" 265 lb 

Houston - 6'3" 258 lb 

Lewis - 6'3" 266 lb

Muhammed - 6'4" 253 lb  

55 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

he was alright for the broncos, but he never really got a shot in Denver. I think he could be good in the Colts defense, and given a fair amount of playing time in Indy. Hope we sign him. prefer him over Lynch. 

• Like 1

I think he is another case of a team trying to make him a LB instead of leaving him in his natural DE role.  A former 1st. rd. pick going back to his natural position.   I don't believe his injuries were major ones like ACL but I could be wrong.  I really like this visit.  Hope we sign him. 

• Like 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

I think he is another case of a team trying to make him a LB instead of leaving him in his natural DE role.  A former 1st. rd. pick going back to his natural position.   I don't believe his injuries were major ones like ACL but I could be wrong.  I really like this visit.  Hope we sign him. 

Multiple wrist surgeries.  You need your wrists if you're going to rush the passer.