Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Dynamic of the Pass Rush going into next season

ProblChld32

With the Signing of Justin Houston we bring in a guy who is known for getting after the QB. In 12 games he amassed 9 sacks while dealing with a nagging Injury. If healthy he should be good for a double digit sack season here in Indy, but the biggest benefit that our defensive line receives with the addition of Houston is attention. Houston is a guy you HAVE to gameplan for and double team otherwise he will wreak havoc and harass the QB. With that being said this opens up our other pass rushers opposite of Houston to win 1 on 1 matchups. Let’s take a look at our sack production from our front 4.

Jabaal Sheard - 5.5 sacks 

Denico Autry - 9 sacks 

Margus Hunt - 5 sacks 

Kemoko Turay - 4 sacks 

Tyquan Lewis - 2 sacks 

Jihad Ward - 3 sacks 

With the additional attention Justin Houston commands I strongly believe this will increase our other Pass Rushers sack count by 2-3 sacks if not more. Our pass rush will be significantly better next season and I can’t wait to see us destroy QB’s. 

• Like 3

Not to mention we'll most likely add more help to the DL in the draft. A dominant force who occupies blockers in Dexter Lawrence could be really beneficial for this defense. 

Or Ballard could really hit a homerun at the 34th overall pick if DT Jeffrey Simmons is still there, and Chris fully believes he'll recover from his injury and his off field issues are way behind him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t forget our secret pass rush weapon, Kenny Moore. He had 1.5 sacks late in the season and 3 in the two playoff games. Once they started sending him, he was very productive at getting pressure. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lef said:

Don’t forget our secret pass rush weapon, Kenny Moore. He had 1.5 sacks late in the season and 3 in the two playoff games. Once they started sending him, he was very productive at getting pressure. 

I wonder how much they like doing that though. Once in awhile it is ok to keep them off guard. We had to do a lot of tricks to get any kind of pressure because we didn’t have enough coming off the edge. I love how versatile Moore is. One second he is sacking the QB the next he is right on Hopkins going down the field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lef said:

Don't forget our other secret pass rush weapon, you know that defensive rookie of the year guy.... D. Leonard who had 7 sacks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lef said:

I want to say that will be situational moving forward. Eberflus had to get creative to generate QB pressure. I’d like to see Kenny in coverage his instincts are outrageous. I will agree with you his ability to blitz was a pleasant surprise.