Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Mathis-Turay connection

Legend of Luck

I just wanted to share some info about the Mathis-Turay relationship, and how much potential Turay has.

Turay stayed in Indy this offseason to work with Mathis' team.
Gary Brackett tweeted to Turay that his career really took off when he decided to stay and work throughout the offseason.
But what really stands out to me is the passion in which Mathis exhibits towards Turay.
Mathis stated that it's his life's mission to make Turay great, and even called him his "son."

Gotta love this on so many levels, but we've got one of the greatest Colts of all time, who was elite at his position, taking all offseason to work with a big upside 2nd year player, who decided to work hard and get better rather than go do normal offseason fun stuff that most players do. I can't wait to see how much progress Kemoko has made working with Mathis.

https://twitter.com/Kturay_58/status/1108470127991889930?s=19

https://twitter.com/GaryBrackett58/status/1108820626805059585?s=19

https://twitter.com/RobertMathis98/status/1108854714974851073?s=19

https://twitter.com/Kturay_58/status/1108842437584261146?s=19

https://twitter.com/ProXAthlete/status/1103802338920280073?s=19

And one more, just to wrap this up with a big smile.

https://twitter.com/RobertMathis98/status/1108820983362846721?s=19

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

The other spin off to this is that the FO can literally see these guys putting in the work - that bodes favorably for them when it comes to cut-down day.

If Muhammad is in a virtual tie with someone, but Muhammad spent the off-season at the facilities working I would think he'd get the nod.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 8:03 AM, Jdubu said:

I’ve said it 100 times, I think Turay has the ability to be better than Mathis was at his peak and do it even earlier than Mathis did. 

There was once this article when Turay was playing well early in the season that seemed to praise his hard work ethic:  https://www.colts.com/news/kemoko-turay-s-work-ethic-attitude-leading-to-early-success

Then there was this article when Turay's snaps started to fall off (https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/12/20/indianapolis-colts-rookie-kemoko-turay-matt-eberflus-tyquan-lewis/2365917002/)  in which there was this quote:

“If you hustle in practice and you rush the way you were supposed to rush, execute and have production in practice, we are obviously going to play those guys in the game,” Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus said. “If you don’t have that, and you have situations where you are not executing the way we want to and at the standard we want to have, then you might not play as much.”

What I take from Turay sticking around Colts' facilities and working with Mathis and others all off-season is that he is at least trying to eliminate any notion that his work ethic has anything to do with his decline in performance, production or will a reason why he may see snaps reduced throughout the season.

The other thing I like is Turay's biggest knock coming out of college was his durability.  The next concerns were that he was more of a raw athlete than a refined football player.  Working within the Colts' facilities with Mathis and others ought to certainly help in both instances.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 9:03 AM, Jdubu said:

I’ve said it 100 times, I think Turay has the ability to be better than Mathis was at his peak and do it even earlier than Mathis did. 

I hope you are right....... But Turay has some HUGE steps to make just to get to 10 sacks.... let alone being better than Mathis at his peak

I would be estatic if he hit 10

• Like 1

The fact that Mathis sees something special in him, and that the kid is working his tail off this year, ought to send all Colts fans into a happy dance. This is precisely what you want to have happen; a genuine but raw talent tutored by an all time great who learns what it takes to become a succcessful Pro. All we need now is to see the results of the hard work. The talent is already there. I’m excited. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

There was once this article when Turay was playing well early in the season that seemed to praise his hard work ethic:  https://www.colts.com/news/kemoko-turay-s-work-ethic-attitude-leading-to-early-success

Then there was this article when Turay's snaps started to fall off (https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/12/20/indianapolis-colts-rookie-kemoko-turay-matt-eberflus-tyquan-lewis/2365917002/)  in which there was this quote:

“If you hustle in practice and you rush the way you were supposed to rush, execute and have production in practice, we are obviously going to play those guys in the game,” Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus said. “If you don’t have that, and you have situations where you are not executing the way we want to and at the standard we want to have, then you might not play as much.”

What I take from Turay sticking around Colts' facilities and working with Mathis and others all off-season is that he is at least trying to eliminate any notion that his work ethic has anything to do with his decline in performance, production or will a reason why he may see snaps reduced throughout the season.

The other thing I like is Turay's biggest knock coming out of college was his durability.  The next concerns were that he was more of a raw athlete than a refined football player.  Working within the Colts' facilities with Mathis and others ought to certainly help in both instances.

I got the feeling around week 8 last year, when Lewis came back from injury and Muhammad was the 1st and 2nd down run stopper, Turay found his snaps decline and being used as just a situational pass rusher. There was probably alot of frustration there being left out and the effort level dropped a bit.

It looks like the kid has learned from the experience and is showing maturity by staying at Indy and working really hard. His body looks more thicker too which he needs if he wants to be an every down DE. I too really hope he makes it, he comes across as a good lad and has all the burst/bend/length you need as a DE. Hopefully he can make the technical refinements he needs as a DE to be great, he has the ability. And he has a very good situation next season with Mathis as coach and a vet like Justin Houston to learn from.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I got the feeling around week 8 last year, when Lewis came back from injury and Muhammad was the 1st and 2nd down run stopper, Turay found his snaps decline and being used as just a situational pass rusher. There was probably alot of frustration there being left out and the effort level dropped a bit.

It looks like the kid has learned from the experience and is showing maturity by staying at Indy and working really hard. His body looks more thicker too which he needs if he wants to be an every down DE. I too really hope he makes it, he comes across as a good lad and has all the burst/bend/length you need as a DE. Hopefully he can make the technical refinements he needs as a DE to be great, he has the ability. And he has a very good situation next season with Mathis as coach and a vet like Justin Houston to learn from.

There were also rumors circulating that the Colts planned to reduce his snaps when Lewis came back all along.  Turay had a hard time staying healthy at Rutgers.  I don't remember where I read it, but I do remember reading that part of the coaching plan on Turay was to kind of ween him into this season, keep him healthy, let him figure out what it takes to be a 16 game player and how to stay healthy in the NFL.

As you said, he certainly looks like he's a bit more cut up and it seems like he is working very hard.  No doubt he has potential.  It will be interested to see how it translates on the field this year.

• Like 1

Talent will only get you to the next level but everyone else in the NFL has talent!  You need to take it to the next level- commitment, desire, practice, study period and anything else that’ll do you good.  This can’t come from the coach nor the team captain, it comes from you!  It’s great that some of the players committed themselves to the game and hopefully with this commitment others will follow.  I/we hope to see a positive in our W/L record. Keep up the good work forum people and players!

On 3/23/2019 at 10:35 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I hope you are right....... But Turay has some HUGE steps to make just to get to 10 sacks.... let alone being better than Mathis at his peak

I would be estatic if he hit 10

I agree, he has huge work ahead to get there, I just feel that he has that ability to get there inside him. He has that same incredible bend around the corner that Mathis had and not all end rushers have that. He just starts out with such raw ability and now with Mathis teaching him, I’d feel pretty comfortable saying he will reach these goals. Hopefully, he has some coaching stability around him for at least 3-4 seasons, that will help big time imho. 

54 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I agree, he has huge work ahead to get there, I just feel that he has that ability to get there inside him. He has that same incredible bend around the corner that Mathis had and not all end rushers have that. He just starts out with such raw ability and now with Mathis teaching him, I’d feel pretty comfortable saying he will reach these goals. Hopefully, he has some coaching stability around him for at least 3-4 seasons, that will help big time imho. 

I truly hope that you are right

With Houston coming on board in the rotation, and Turay's expected development, we should be BETTER than we were last year, which is a Ballard goal

This is BEFORE we begin to draft

I still think we add to both lines early and often

Another pass rusher or two from DT, UT, AND DE spots is going to be grabbed I believe

I actually BELIEVE Ballard when he speaks  :)

But... who knows..... he may surprise us all with the first 3 picks..... and go KICKER on all 3  :)