Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First draft pick?

dodsworth

What is our first pick in the draft?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What is our first pick in the draft?

• D lineman
    • Linebacker
    • Cornerback
    • Safety
    • O lineman
    • Tight end
    • Wideout/slot
    • Running back

13 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

In looking back at the past super bowl winners that ran a cover 2 defense like we do,    I find the Bucs, the Bears and the Colts in recent history.  Maybe others I didn't find them.

But anyway,   Out of those three teams.   2 winners.   1 loser.   How many pro bowl corner backs played on those teams?   

I'm just saying there is no need for a pro bowl cb in this defense.    

Key positions.  DE.   3 Tech SS  MLB and WSLB.    The rest of the players are roll players.   Yes. It would be a luxury to have probowlers at 11 positions on D.  But cb is not a huge need.   

Kelvin Hayden, Nick Harper, Jason David. 

3 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

In looking back at the past super bowl winners that ran a cover 2 defense like we do,    I find the Bucs, the Bears and the Colts in recent history.  Maybe others I didn't find them.

But anyway,   Out of those three teams.   2 winners.   1 loser.   How many pro bowl corner backs played on those teams?   

I'm just saying there is no need for a pro bowl cb in this defense.    

Key positions.  DE.   3 Tech SS  MLB and WSLB.    The rest of the players are roll players.   Yes. It would be a luxury to have probowlers at 11 positions on D.  But cb is not a huge need.   

They don't have to be pro bowlers. just 'good at their job'.  Was Marlin Jackson a Pro Bowler?  Where was he drafted...  hmmmm

"Jackson was selected by the Indianapolis Colts with the 29th overall pick of the 2005 NFL Draft."

Was He instrumental in the Colts winning Lombardi?

20 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

They don't have to be pro bowlers. just 'good at their job'.  Was Marlin Jackson a Pro Bowler?  Where was he drafted...  hmmmm

"Jackson was selected by the Indianapolis Colts with the 29th overall pick of the 2005 NFL Draft."

Was He instrumental in the Colts winning Lombardi?

When you already have Freeney Mathis Simon/Booger. Sanders .......

You have the luxury to take a CB with a high pick.    We are no where near that talent yet.  And he was never a pro bowler. That I know of 

SO cb. Is not that important

It appears that majority of fans understand what Ballard is building in Indy

with his "inside out" team building blueprint. Going D line early to follow up

his early O line picks last season will allow the Colts to progress toward the

goal of a physical team.

Colts fans are embracing the ugly side of football which is quality line play.

Good job Colts nation!  :thmup:

I just want the highest graded player still on Ballard's draft board when it's time to turn in the card. Any position (except QB though, I'd be a little disappointed there).

I trust in the scouts, coaches, and our GM to formulate the best players, vertically and horizontally, on the board.  Equally graded players allow selection of a player 'of need'.  But this only works if the scouts graded players fairly without bias before the draft team discusses how to set up the board, and Ballard has final say and also veto power if necessary.

3 hours ago, HorsePower_ said:

In the Cover-2 you don't need a lockdown all world corner. You just need a guy who doesn't beat. Which is why I can't  see them taking a guy with the first or second pick.

So true on that. The pass rush goes hand in hand. You need guys to get home, but the corner also needs to cover to buy that extra time.