zibby43

Colts are signing Justin Houston [Merge]

Just now, shastamasta said:

I agree. I think he can be an 8-10 guy.

Yeah I agree. I can see 8-10. If he gets 10 that would be great :thmup:

We now have no needs to address in the draft imo.  We may have wants that will make us even better, but no real needs. 

For the first time in a long time, I'll be happy with whoever the Colts take. 

• Like 2

Just now, cbear said:

We now have no needs to address in the draft imo.  We may have wants that will make us even better, but no real needs. 

We can now take the best available player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This goes to show how one guy can make a big impact.

Well you can't really do that though. I mean if we add Funchess' yards to Luck's passing totals...he leagues the league in passing.

It's more realistic that Houston is worth a few sacks above who he is replacing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cbear said:

It is still always good to draft lineman = on D and O to have depth. That is what Jimmy Johnson used to do with Dallas back in the 90's. He would interchange guys all game long on D and if someone got injured on the O.Line he could plug another player in and they would be fresh. It wears opposing teams down. He also went speed on defense, we just got speed with Houston.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I agree. I can see 8-10. If he gets 10 that would be great :thmup:

Yep...I don't think he's coming here to play 80% of the snaps on defense...so his upside will be capped in that regard...but Eberflus should be able to get that type of production out of him.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. This is not only a good deal (2 years for 24 mill) but he can still ball and is a true pass rusher like Mathis was.

He also can be a team leader which is needed with all the young guys we have. But I don't know if he's all that vocal he seems like the strong silent type but I don't know will see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

Finally, a Play Maker!  Look for a DL now in the draft!

I could still see Ballard drafting a great DT with that 1st round pick. Someone like Dexter Lawrence or Christian Wilkins. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I could still see Ballard drafting a great DT with that 1st round pick. Someone like Dexter Lawrence or Christian Wilkins. 

Or even Tillery. I'd like Lawrence as my first option, Tillery/Wilkins

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

You are correct...had him confused with Muhammad. 

I think Lewis is ticketed for DT.

Lewis is ticketed to replace Sheard, who does rush inside at times.

• Like 1

Why not just look at 'roster' on Colts website? Is Ward on there? Plus saw something quoting Ballard saying' Ward felt guilty and was afraid he was trouble about the wall'.

• Haha 1

I will start by saying I like the move on a two year deal to add pass rush, a veteran presence in the locker room and a potential teacher of Turay, Lewis, Muhammad, Phillips, Winbush and whatever rookies are brought in.....plus it weakens a potential playoff opponent.

And now I will eat my crow as I thought Ballard would go younger versus older and never even considered him signing....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

To me, this just reinforces Christian Wilkins as the definitive 1st round target.

We are in a great position now to move up to get him. Just a wild guess as to where Ballard will think he needs to get up to.

I guess the challenge long term is that Sheard, Autry, Hunt and Houston (ages 28-31) have all got either 1 or 2 years left on their contracts. I don't see any of them getting extensions. We have up and coming players like Turay, Lewis, Ward, etc. I expect Ballard to continue to invest in the d-line in the draft, particularly at DT, where it's a good class. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Lewis is ticketed to replace Sheard, who does rush inside at times.

Has to stop missing half of the season with toe and knee injuries before he replaces anyone. Hopefully both he and Turay don't keep having issues.

But Ballard said in December (like only three months ago) that the plan for Lewis is to play inside more...and that he was having to start at DE because of injuries. I don't think there's a whole lot of room for interpretation in a quote like that.

2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I guess the challenge long term is that Sheard, Autry, Hunt and Houston (ages 28-31) have all got either 1 or 2 years left on their contracts. I don't see any of them getting extensions. We have up and coming players like Turay, Lewis, Ward, etc. I expect Ballard to continue to invest in the d-line in the draft, particularly at DT, where it's a good class. 

Works out quite nicely...especially if they keep adding DL talent in the draft. Takes a bit of time to build up a legit DL rotation.

I am still stupidly holding out hope that Clowney gets loose from HOU...because they have to pay Watson. We can dream though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Has to stop missing half of the season with toe and knee injuries before he replaces anyone. Hopefully both he and Turay don't keep having issues.

But Ballard said in December (like only three months ago) that the plan for Lewis is to play inside more...and that he was having to start at DE because of injuries. I don't think there's a whole lot of room for interpretation in a quote like that.

He's about 6th in line in who I want to see playing inside, behind Stewart, Ridgeway, Ward, Autry, Hunt, and whomever we draft. He's got a better chance of seeing time outside than he does inside. I get it, Ballard said what he did, but I don't agree with ballooning a guy who played 15-20lbs lighter in college, and trying to force him in the middle to which he played maybe 5% of time in college. 

Ballard finally reels in a big fish!  We just upgraded our pass rush. :banana:

Hope we continue to add more guys who can get after the quarterback this offseason.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I never noticed him much with Chris Jones and Dee Ford dominating the OL.

My concern was the guaranteed money and if we were creating dead money by giving it to a pass rusher in decline in an effort to push farther into the playoffs.  The circumstances and strategy seems eerily similar to the TC signing.  I assume there is less dead cap possibility and that Houston is not in decline as much as Cole was, so all is well.

Jones defintely abused us. I forgot Houston sacked Andrew twice in our playoff game. I'm sure i noticed, just forgot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Dude, he was forced to play Rush DE where was out of place. 
 But he did move well and quickly was playing good as an edge defender.
 At 269 lbs he is perfect for Sheards role, where we did move Sheard inside some to rush. Now i get Autry only weighs 270 and held up decently against the run. That is until the KC game. Maybe Lewis becomes more of a DT. He sure does have a thick lower body.
 We will see as the season goes on what % of snaps he gets where. I predict it will be more outside than inside, but it could be close depending on who we draft.
If Jihad Ward becomes good, man we would be getting Deep on the line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/jihad-ward-18993/

I'm not sure why he's listed as a FA and under contract on Spotrac. Looks like a mistake on their side.

Maybe because the Colts had an option in the contract to pick up his second year. Spotrac lists those players along with exclusive, restricted and unrestricted free agents as well. Him still being a TBD is obviously a mistake. I guess they had their hands full recently and missed updating some of these lesser players's statuses.

Anyway, he is a Colts, for sure. Colts.com lists him on the active roster as well. Thats "semi" official.

• Like 1

Nice signing.  Should help the D next year and no long term contract to worry about. 

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Was it even reported he was visiting with us? 

Nothing was ever reported about him being here. No NFL insider said anything about him. Kind of crazy. 

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Nothing was ever reported about him being here. No NFL insider said anything about him. Kind of crazy. 

Ballard is slick :banana:

29 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Jones defintely abused us. I forgot Houston sacked Andrew twice in our playoff game. I'm sure i noticed, just forgot.

That is how great Houston is. He gets 2 Sacks and sometimes people just take it for granted, they are used to it at times. So it is not huge news.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Trent Cole - he was 33 just a few weeks into the season after the Colts started in 2015.  Justin Houston will be 30. Robert Mathis gave us some nice years in his early 30s till age 32 and then faded, went back and looked. It seems like the 2 years is what we will get most out of Houston, based on history, and I like that part.

Sacks don't tell the whole story but 9 sacks in 12 games started for Houston is still a respectable number and if he can reproduce a double digit sack season for the Colts and stay healthy for at least 14 games, that might be a win for the Colts, considering the chances that the others will get in on the sack fest as well (Turay, Lewis, Hunt, Autry etc.)

Another has listed the starting DL for the Colts, and IMO, they are as a whole either a bit old or not quite the superior talent I'd like to have.  As it stands, the DL makes for a nice in-game rotation which keeps each player fresh, but we still don't have that one three down stud that opposing offenses have to account for.  While this is a nice signing, Houston isn't that guy at this point of his career, IMO.  We still need a DL draft pick at 26 or 34 to get that infusion of talented youth we need.

...low risk...high reward

It means we're trying to win the conference THIS year,,and not overly concerned with  'building a team the right way'

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

It means we're trying to win the conference THIS year,,and not overly concerned with  'building a team the right way'

Why do you say that? 

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Adding a player we needed does not mean we are not doing it the right way. We could be waiting for decades to get a elite DE. This helps us until we can develop our guys or get one in another way.

Love the ability to make game changing plays, almost every sack he gets is a forced fumble. Him Leonard, Kenny Moore, Hooker, plus whoever gets drafted will give this defense some serious juice.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think it depends upon the amount of guaranteed money.  

The issue with Houston I believe is injuries.  

correct, he has had nagging knee injuries, also,  he's never played DE in a 4-3, and is 30 years-old, but Houston believes with his lower load of responsibilities at end, he could be effective.  Ballard played it smart with an aging veteran w/knee issues.....don't offer a long-term deal....keep it short-n-sweet.  I think we did ok with this one!

Houston says heâll be a defensive end in the Coltsâ 4-3 (first time officially in that role in his career; played OLB at KC): My job will be easier now than it has been in the past, as a primary pass rusher, not really worrying about coverage responsibilities

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023797/article/colts-sign-allpro-pass-rusher-justin-houston

He can just pin his ears back and go in our scheme.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

correct, he has had nagging knee injuries, also,  he's never played DE in a 4-3, and is 30 years-old, but Houston believes with his lower load of responsibilities at end, he could be effective.  Ballard played it smart with an aging veteran w/knee issues.....don't offer a long-term deal....keep it short-n-sweet.  I think we did ok with this one!

Thank you.  That explains my concern with my OP in this thread.  While the signing is nice, there are some issues here that can significantly affect Houston's ability to have a lot of impact next season, so there should be caution about getting too excited, IMO.  One of which he won't have anybody the quality of Jones and Ford lining up with him, at least not yet, before the draft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad hugo said:

Ballard after hearing all these annoying naysayers:

giphy.gif

It really just seems to be 3 maybe 4 posters here that seem to always have something to whine about no matter what is.

• Haha 1

• Like 1