Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are signing Justin Houston [Merge]

zibby43

On 3/20/2019 at 11:54 AM, ClaytonColt said:

Surely whatever the market pays for him is the going rate by definition?

It's not really an $84m contract either, that's just the headline figure. He's likely to be cut after the 3rd or 4th years regardless of how he plays.  Washington aren't really committing to giving him that full amount. 

I'd be surprised if the Redskins win a playoff game as well. I doubt any safety would make that much difference when you have Colt McCoy as a quarterback. 

Seems between the 1 and 2 year prove it deals along with massive guarantee long term contracts where players get cut early (3 years...) that nearly 40% of the league is some type of FA each year. scroll down here and check out the huge list of FA's this year (some are signed as well)

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/2019-nfl-free-agents-ranking-top-players-by-position-tracking-signings/i6brxq6i36yd1jdqikshec5gj

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Houston could free up other guys also. This will make guys like Leonard even better. We had to do a lot of scheming to get the sacks we got.

Yes, and drawing a double team will, that is why the others have to win their battles. If they double Houston and there is no pass rush pressure, they'll continue to double/chip JH.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:09 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Nice deal! Hope we frontloaded the first year a bit. Houston should get 8-10 sacks this year.

More than that, I think.  He had 9 in 12 games last year.  If we keep him healthy for a full 16 games, I see him having more like 10-14 sacks.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:10 PM, Dustin said:

12m is a bargain for what edge rushers go for these days tnh. I think this is probably right in line with his value if he can manage 8-12 sacks

Agreed.  He had 9 sacks in 12 games last year, I think if we keep him healthy and properly utilize him, we'll see him with >10 sacks.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:11 PM, Valpo2004 said:

The question is. . . Do we start him or do we put him in during obvious passing downs to try to keep him healthy.  

It'd be cool if we could be as good on offense as some of Peyton's teams.  This signing may allow us to draft a stud WR early and really load Luck with weapons.  He had a heck of a year last year, but imagine what he could do if he had a little more firepower.

If our offense becomes virtually unstoppable, we could turn a lot more of our opponents' offensive downs into obvious passing downs.

I think the bigger question will be: do we line Houston up as an OLB or as a DE (or both)?  

On 3/21/2019 at 2:19 PM, The Oopty Oop said:

In only 12 games I believe.

Yes.  Hopefully he stays healthy and we can get more sacks from him.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:23 PM, DougDew said:

Autry plays inside a lot, and Lewis supposedly can.

On passing downs, having Turay and Houston on the edge with Lewis and Autry inside gives us the best pass rush (from what I can see on our current roster -- making the assumption that Turay makes a nice leap in year 2). 

However, Margus Hunt had 5 sacks from the interior and Jihad Ward had 3 sacks (in 6 games).  I am also not entirely abandoning ship on Ridgeway (he seemed to have been forgotten about in regular season, but in post-season I thought he had a couple of nice games and showed that he's capable of getting good interior pressure).  

We also got 7 sacks from Leonard at LB and 5.5 from Sheard at LB.  

I imagine we will see quite a bit of different mixes this year.  Lewis has shown he can get pressure from the inside and outside (though, to me, he usually seemed a half-step too slow to really get to the QB -- I am hoping this is due to his lack of experience plus the fact he came off a nagging toe injury that took a lot of his early developmental days away).  I think a line with Turay, Autry, Hunt and Lewis is capable of getting pressure, especially with Houston coming off the edge as an OLB.... though, a line with Turay, Autry, Lewis, and Houston may get more pressure -- and we can still bring it from the OLB spot with Sheard or with a guy like Geathers or someone else if we are in a nickel/dime package.  

From PFF

When lined up as a defensive end in Kansas City, Houston showed just as well as he did when he lined up as an outside linebacker. From his 414 career pass-rushing snaps as a defensive end, Houston has notched an 87.9 pass-rushing grade which ranks 11th among the 171 edge defenders with 300-plus snaps lined up as a defensive end, while Houston’s pressure rate of 17.6% and pass-rush productivity of 21.5 both rank first among the same group of players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 7:21 PM, CurBeatElite said:

More than that, I think.  He had 9 in 12 games last year.  If we keep him healthy for a full 16 games, I see him having more like 10-14 sacks.

Agreed.  He had 9 sacks in 12 games last year, I think if we keep him healthy and properly utilize him, we'll see him with >10 sacks.

It'd be cool if we could be as good on offense as some of Peyton's teams.  This signing may allow us to draft a stud WR early and really load Luck with weapons.  He had a heck of a year last year, but imagine what he could do if he had a little more firepower.

If our offense becomes virtually unstoppable, we could turn a lot more of our opponents' offensive downs into obvious passing downs.

I think the bigger question will be: do we line Houston up as an OLB or as a DE (or both)?  

Yes.  Hopefully he stays healthy and we can get more sacks from him.

On passing downs, having Turay and Houston on the edge with Lewis and Autry inside gives us the best pass rush (from what I can see on our current roster -- making the assumption that Turay makes a nice leap in year 2). 

However, Margus Hunt had 5 sacks from the interior and Jihad Ward had 3 sacks (in 6 games).  I am also not entirely abandoning ship on Ridgeway (he seemed to have been forgotten about in regular season, but in post-season I thought he had a couple of nice games and showed that he's capable of getting good interior pressure).  

We also got 7 sacks from Leonard at LB and 5.5 from Sheard at LB.  

I imagine we will see quite a bit of different mixes this year.  Lewis has shown he can get pressure from the inside and outside (though, to me, he usually seemed a half-step too slow to really get to the QB -- I am hoping this is due to his lack of experience plus the fact he came off a nagging toe injury that took a lot of his early developmental days away).  I think a line with Turay, Autry, Hunt and Lewis is capable of getting pressure, especially with Houston coming off the edge as an OLB.... though, a line with Turay, Autry, Lewis, and Houston may get more pressure -- and we can still bring it from the OLB spot with Sheard or with a guy like Geathers or someone else if we are in a nickel/dime package.  

I’m not sure what you are thinking.    Houston is a DE and Sheard  is a DE.  we do not run a 3-4 anymore with OLBers.  

1 hour ago, DerekDiggler said:

I’m not sure what you are thinking.    Houston is a DE and Sheard  is a DE.  we do not run a 3-4 anymore with OLBers.  

Nobody has stated where Houston will line up on our team... will he rush from an OLB spot or with his hand in the dirt as a DE?  

And yes, you are right, in the 4-3 Sheard is primarily on the DE with his hand in the dirt on the line of scrimmage.

7 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Nobody has stated where Houston will line up on our team... will he rush from an OLB spot or with his hand in the dirt as a DE?  

And yes, you are right, in the 4-3 Sheard is primarily on the DE with his hand in the dirt on the line of scrimmage.

Ok.  So Houston will be a DE with his hand in the dirt.  We do not have an OLB position on the team.  We dont have anyone that plays OLB. We haven't since 2017 when Pagano was here.  We switched to a 4-3 D that uses 2 DE, a UT a DT with a Will LB. Middle LB and Sam LB 

If you are asking if Houston would play SLB the answer is no.  He is a DE 

19 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

But they're not interchangeable with a DE.  So we are not making a choice between OLB and DE.   We only use DE 

worth pointing out that some 4-3 DEs can be interchangeable with 3-4 OLBs, and vice vera, and some smaller 3-4 OLBs can play play sams/wills. lots of tweeners out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Houston and the Colts have said he will be a DE in the Colts system. We don't play a SAM much if at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

not official, but some depth charts have in slotted at RDE

here's one

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/IND/indianapolis-colts/depth-chart/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

We have a draft, a training camp and 4 pre-season games before we will know who plays where.

• Like 1

Some of you are way overthinking this.  More than anything else, Houston is an edge rusher.  That means in a 4-3 he'd line up the majority of the time at DE and in a 3-4 he would line up primarily as an OLB.  

Our defense does have an OLB position, that's what the Will and Sam are.  Leonard is technically an OLB even though in sub packages he plays more of an ILB role.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

From Albert Breer, MMQB this morning. 

"If I were another team, the Colts signing Justin Houston would be a little bit of an “oh s---” moment for me.

I had my doubts about Justin Houston, and whether or not he’s breaking down, as he sat unsigned through the first week of free agency. But who it was who signed him has allayed some of those concerns. Why? Some GMs have pretty extensive football knowledge in areas outside of scouting, and Indy’s Chris Ballard has a reputation for being very bright, for a non-doctor, on the medical side of things in assessing players. Combine that with the fact that the two were together for four years in Kansas City, and that Ballard gave Houston a nice deal (two years, $24 million), and it wouldn’t stun me to see Houston have a renaissance season at age 30."

25 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

From Albert Breer, MMQB this morning. 

"If I were another team, the Colts signing Justin Houston would be a little bit of an “oh s---” moment for me.

Lol that had me rolling. I can't wait to see Houston turn it on. 

20 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Personally I'm big into 1950's Eastern Bloc mime, but that doesn't play so well on a forum. 

Finally! I've been looking for another mime fan! Ugh. I just noticed it was 1950's Eastern Bloc. Anyone with taste knows the apex of Eastern Bloc mime was the 1960's!