Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are signing Justin Houston [Merge]

zibby43

2 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Spotrac.

Interesting.. Yea if he wasn't signed he wouldn't be in the Colts complex busting holes in the wall with a medicine ball haha 

Spotrac actually shows something different than what you posted. It shows he's signed through 2019 too. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I've liked most of Ballard's signings in the past, but this one seems a bit pricey. 

I don't know.  I haven't watched KC that much to tell how much Houston has left in the tank.  At that price, I hope we won't be thinking Trent Cole by mid season.

Did that look like Trent Cole when he was draped all over Andrew against KC?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Houston for 2 years at $12M vs Smith for 4 years at $12.5M is a win for me.

I wouldn't want to have to pay out all 4 years to Smith and if we didn't and we got out of the deal after a couple years, then I would bank on Houston over the next two years to out-perform Smith in those 2 years.

Solid move.

I don't know if I agree. Guess it depends on how you view Smith. Some think he is an ascending player...who can be a 10+ sack guy...and was a bit miscast in the WAS defense. 

If the Smith gamble paid off...you have a legit starting DE for at least three years of his prime (he's only 26). Smith only got $16M gtd at signing too...so Ballard would have had an out after a couple of years (he wouldn't have given him a $16M signing bonus...might actually be why they didn't get him).

And Smith has actually been playing with his hand in the dirt.

If this was a 26 year-old Justin Houston vs. a 26 year-old Preston Smith...probably not debate. But I can definitely see both sides.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, I was looking at the 24 and wondering how much is guaranteed.  With him constantly dinged (even going back to our 38-3 comeback win after he went out of the game), that price has a certain amount of missed plays built into it, that was my thinking.  I assume the first year is guaranteed but its team friendly after that.

I'm adding him to the Colts roster asap on my Madden 16.....yeah it's probably time for a newer version.haha

Just now, CR91 said:

Eberflus will not let you loaf, that is why I like this signing to maximize what Houston has left in him. 

To me, it keeps all options open for our draft. The proof will ultimately be in the pudding, and when his impact is felt on the field. I am hoping it is a real positive one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Provide a link that shows his 2019 contract terms with the Colts.

Is it that hard to comprehend that he is under contract? 

He is currently at the Colts facility training (and making holes in walls).

Multiple people are telling you what's correct, and you keep being stubborn. 

Quit belly-aching.

• Like 1

Just now, krunk said:

To be fair...I think there is a bit of a caveat when it comes to KC pass rushers...because the trio of Ford/Houston/Jones probably dwarfs anything the Colts will have for at least another year or so.

But yeah...he's definitely not Trent Cole. Such a dumb signing that was. I didn't care about the AJ signing...but Cole set me off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James said:

Is it that hard to comprehend that he is under contract? 

He is currently at the Colts facility training (and making holes in walls).

Multiple people are telling you what's correct, and you keep being stubborn. 

Is it that hard to comprehend that I linked Spotrac, which clearly shows him being a FA.  Thus the confusion?

Other people are providing documentation

3 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Interesting.. Yea if he wasn't signed he wouldn't be in the Colts complex busting holes in the wall with a medicine ball haha 

Spotrac actually shows something different than what you posted. It shows he's signed through 2019 too. 

Yeah I seen that on the local news, too funny :funny:

1 minute ago, MacDee1975 said:

Is it that hard to comprehend that I linked Spotrac, which clearly shows him being a FA.  Thus the confusion?

Other people are providing documentation without being a-holes.  Maybe you should follow suit.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/jihad-ward-18993/

I'm not sure why he's listed as a FA and under contract on Spotrac. Looks like a mistake on their side.

Just now, chad72 said:

Eberflus will not let you loaf, that is why I like this signing to maximize what Houston has left in him. 

To me, it keeps all options open for our draft. The proof will ultimately be in the pudding, and when his impact is felt on the field. I am hoping it is a real positive one.

Agree, we will certainly see what the guy has left in the tank. Not sure of the the fit schematic wise, but he should bring plenty to the field for us. Might be a great move as far as having another veteran presence in the locker room also. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I never noticed him much with Chris Jones and Dee Ford dominating the OL.

My concern was the guaranteed money and if we were creating dead money by giving it to a pass rusher in decline in an effort to push farther into the playoffs.  The circumstances and strategy seems eerily similar to the TC signing.  I assume there is less dead cap possibility and that Houston is not in decline as much as Cole was, so all is well.

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I don't know if I agree. Guess it depends on how you view Smith. Some think he is an ascending player...who can be a 10+ sack guy...and was a bit miscast in the WAS defense. 

If the Smith gamble paid off...you have a legit starting DE for at least three years of his prime (he's only 26). Smith only got $16M gtd at signing too...so Ballard would have had an out after a couple of years (he wouldn't have given him a $16M signing bonus...might actually be why they didn't get him).

And Smith has actually been playing with his hand in the dirt.

If this was a 26 year-old Justin Houston vs. a 26 year-old Preston Smith...probably not debate. But I can definitely see both sides.

Smith's deal was solid. Especially compared to Flowers and Z.Smith.

That said P.Smith basically got $27.5M for two years compared to Houston's $24M.

Plus if Smith is cut after two years then he has $8M in dead cap space compared to his $12M salary. So it's only saving $4M to cut him in year 3. Which isn't likely then.

So it is basically Smith at 3 years and $39.5M vs Houston at 2 years and $24M

When I think of it like that I prefer Houston.

Smith played w his hand down in a 4-3 in college but his entire pro career has also been as a 3-4 OLB as well.

At the end of the day, both are good signings. I expected it to cost more $ and more years on Houston which is where I would have preferred the Smith deal.

But if I knew Houston would sign to such a short term deal at this reduced cost then I would have preferred Houston personally.

I was wrong on Houston's market. I figured w Brandon Graham getting 3 years and $40M with $27M guaranteed at age 31, that Houston would command a similar investment. Glad I was wrong.

Also, stealing this from CR91's post:

So not entirely worried about Houston not having his hand in the dirt either.

1 minute ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Agree, we will certainly see what the guy has left in the tank. Not sure of the the fit schematic wise, but he should bring plenty to the field for us. Might be a great move as far as having another veteran presence in the locker room also. 

Scheme fit is fine

Just now, TomDiggs said:

I was wrong on Houston's market. I figured w Brandon Graham getting 3 years and $40M with $27M guaranteed at age 31, that Houston would command a similar investment. Glad I was wrong.

AGREED!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

To be fair...I think there is a bit of a caveat when it comes to KC pass rushers...because the trio of Ford/Houston/Jones probably dwarfs anything the Colts will have for at least another year or so.

But yeah...he's definitely not Trent Cole. Such a dumb signing that was. I didn't care about the AJ signing...but Cole set me off.

Good point.

As far as AJ and Cole, I hated the signings on day one because I didn't think they had much left, not really the money, which was also bad.

37 minutes ago, CR91 said:

No clue either. Nothing about a visit either. That basically takes Lynch off the table now

As soon as Free Agency began there was a ticker that said "Colts have reached out to the agent for Justin Houston" Somebody had posted it inside of a thread.  No other mentions happened after that.  Guess we kept wheeling and dealing!

• Like 1

So we have Houston, Sheard, Turay, Mohommad, Lewis at DE right now. Pretty good though I think we will lose one of these. Ballard will want time for Lewis and Turay to get snaps and develop. I think Muhammad could lose out later in the year.

Id say Sheard at LDE with Lewis as back up, Houston at RDE with Turay as back up. With both Lewis and Turay to became the starters in 1/2 years after learning behind the vets.

2 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Other people are providing documentation

The confusion is all on you. You checked only one source when a simple google would have revealed as much. (Never mind the fact that the guy was in the news just yesterday for what he did in the team facility.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MacDee1975 said:

I did google:  Spotrac was the link google provided.  Wikipedia was the second link.

And did it occur to you that maybe I didn't watch the news program that showed Jihad working out at the Colts facility?

So you checked one link, was presented with conflicting information, and still didn’t look at a second?

I didn’t watch any new program with any story either. I haven’t even had television service since 2016. But I don’t live under a rock either. 

You are not helping your case out the more you post.