Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are signing Justin Houston [Merge]

zibby43

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Finally...a move to win now. You don't give a 30 year-old Houston $24M if you don't plan on competing during the upcoming two-year window.

Colts need DEs...and even at age 30...Houston probably still has better athleticism than anyone but Turay and can get after it.

Wonder if this opens up a possibility for a Suh signing as well.

He's 30, not 50.  Of course he still has his athleticism.

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think it's more like Houston, Sheard, Turay and Ward right now. I think those other guys play inside more...outside of special situations.

Ward isn't playing outside. He played exclusively inside in the 6 games he played last year. Swap Lewis with Ward. With Hunt, Autry, and Ward, Lewis will be playing behind Sheard in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Interesting...I think I might have bit the bullet and did that Ford trade (with the #59 pick)...if I believed he could be a DE in this defense.

But Houston should be a decent consolation...especially if they squeeze a couple of years out of him. But you never know with aging pass rushers.

If he was like 32 or 33 I would be concerned. But at 30 he should be able to give us two very solid years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Interesting...I think I might have bit the bullet and did that Ford trade (with the #59 pick)...if I believed he could be a DE in this defense.

But Houston should be a decent consolation...especially if they squeeze a couple of years out of him. But you never know with aging pass rushers.

I don't like Ford.  I'm glad Ballard passed.  We now hear we just missed out on Preston Smith.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Houston for 2 years at $12M vs Smith for 4 years at $12.5M is a win for me.

I wouldn't want to have to pay out all 4 years to Smith and if we didn't and we got out of the deal after a couple years, then I would bank on Houston over the next two years to out-perform Smith in those 2 years.

Solid move.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd like to know what's up with the KC front office.  A great pass rush but they let both Houston and Dee Ford leave.  They must have somebody on the roster to take one of those spots or they are telegraphing their draft plans pretty badly.

They are saving cap space for the future.

1 minute ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Ward isn't playing outside. He played exclusively inside in the 6 games he played last year. Swap Lewis with Ward. With Hunt, Autry, and Ward, Lewis will be playing behind Sheard in my opinion.

Ward is also not on the team right now.

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

I wouldn't want to have to pay out all 4 years to Smith and if we didn't and we got out of the deal after a couple years, then I would bank on Houston over the next two years to out-perform Smith in those 2 years.

Solid move.

Pretty much all contract in the NFL have outs after 1-2-3 years... IMO if you are signing Smith who is young and getting better you want him tied for more years rather than less. 

4 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

You are correct...had him confused with Muhammad. 

I think Lewis is ticketed for DT.

2 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Solid move.

I agree. Houston can still ball. 30 isn't young but not old either. If he was like 32 or 33 I wouldn't like the move but he still has at least 2 good years left in him. We needed a Pass Rusher badly that could make an impact, now we have it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

That might put it an end to Ridgeway. Most likely the starting line will be Sheard Autry Pick/Hunt Houston and then you have Lewis Turay and Ward/Mohammad

Add in a first rd defensive tackle and I will sit in the corner and

laugh uncontrollably like an asylum inmate.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I've liked most of Ballard's signings in the past, but this one seems a bit pricey. 

I don't know.  I haven't watched KC that much to tell how much Houston has left in the tank.  At that price, I hope we won't be thinking Trent Cole by mid season.

The money part imo is insignificant, especially considering all the money we have. I don't think 12per is that high nowadays anyway?

I like the signing. :D

Even if he doesn't workout were TRYING to upgrade with a playmaker.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That might put it an end to Ridgeway. Most likely the starting line will be Sheard Autry Pick/Hunt Houston and then you have Lewis Turay and Ward/Mohammad

I like the rotational approach to pass rushers/DLs, keeps them fresh, but I'd like to get one guy who has superior talent/youth than the list presented.  Yes, I hope the draft pick used is high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Pretty much all contract in the NFL have outs after 1-2-3 years... IMO if you are signing Smith who is young and getting better you want him tied for more years rather than less. 

Agreed.

All I am saying is the value of going younger with Smith is locking him up longer. And if I have to pay him $52M to get the value benefit over Hosuton then I would rather not.

As is, Smith's contract is essentially 2 years and $27.5M before they can get out of it.

So Houston comes cheaper and with a better track record and even a better season last year despite his age.

Definitely all for that.

• Like 1

Just now, MacDee1975 said:

No, he isn't.

He signed a 2 year deal last year with the Colts last year. 

Just now, shastamasta said:

You are correct...had him confused with Muhammad. 

I think Lewis is ticketed for DT.

I like Muhammad too...

I don't see it with Lewis. I think they halt that experiment this year and get his weight back down to what he played at at OSU (260'ish) and let him take over the Sheard's strong side spot next year. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. Houston can still ball. 30 isn't young but not old either. If he was like 32 or 33 I wouldn't like the move but he still has at least 2 good years left in him. We needed a Pass Rusher badly that could make an impact, now we have it.

To add to this, he had 9 Sacks last yr in just 12 games. KC has now lost their 2 best pass rushers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The money part imo is insignificant, especially considering all the money we have. I don't think 12per is that high nowadays anyway?

I like the signing. :D

Even if he doesn't workout were TRYING to upgrade with a playmaker.

Yeah, I was looking at the 24 and wondering how much is guaranteed.  With him constantly dinged (even going back to our 38-10 comeback win after he went out of the game), that price has a certain amount of missed plays built into it, that was my thinking.  I assume the first year is guaranteed but its team friendly after that.

• Like 1