Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 3 Tech position

Personally I think we are good at 3T between Autry and Tyquan Lewis.  I think if you bring in another 3T from the draft it needs to be another guy like Jerry Tillery(or whoever else) who can do more than one thing. Other than character I don't think Wilkins is the type they are looking for because he's one dimensional.  We had a chance in the last draft to pick up some 3T like Wilkins and we passed right over them and chose Lewis because of his versatility I believe.  NT is the only spot on our DL where the Colts don't have a player than can play multiple postions up and down the line.  Both Autry and Lewis can play inside or outside and give you quality snaps. Hunt can play inside or outside.  All of the 3T that we have on the roster can do multiple things and thats key because it opens things up more from a schematic and personnel stand point.  This staff likes players who can contribute at multiple positions.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

TE would be a surprise, but there are MULTIPLE Safeties that should be available

Chauncy Gardner, Adderly, Abram, or Thornhill ALL have excellent coverage ability AND can (and do) support the run.

I hope we select one in our first 3 picks

These are the true "erasers" that this defense misses, and arent a liability against the pass

Gardner and Adderley are the top 2 if we need some coverage from our strong safety. Rapp, Abram and Thornhill would come after those 2, based on everything I have read.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Gardner and Adderley are the top 2 if we need some coverage from our strong safety. Rapp, Abram and Thornhill would come after those 2, based on everything I have read.

If you think Thornhill can play, I think he'd be a good pick at 59.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If you think Thornhill can play, I think he'd be a good pick at 59.

I think the others are a little better, But if we wait until 59 to get a safety, I think he is good enough to be a step up from where we are today.

The others mentioned, I fear will be gone before the 59th pick

An excellent SS, can make a defense shine.......  My first..... Is Gardner

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I think they almost HAVE to be able to cover as well as hit.

You can disguise so much more with position flexibility

(Why I like Gardner)

Abram seems to be the biggest "hitter" in the S group, but is said to not have great coverage skills.... just good cover skills

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think they almost HAVE to be able to cover as well as hit.

You can disguise so much more with position flexibility

(Why I like Gardner)

Abram seems to be the biggest "hitter" in the S group, but is said to not have great coverage skills

I think we have to consider Amani Hooker at pick No.59 too, maybe you forgot about him?? :) 

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think we have to consider Amani Hooker at pick No.59 too, maybe you forgot about him?? :) 

I hesitate to agree with you simply because this may open an avalanche of Hooker jokes again. But I agree with you. 

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think the others are a little better, But if we wait until 59 to get a safety, I think he is good enough to be a step up from where we are today.

The others mentioned, I fear will be gone before the 59th pick

An excellent SS, can make a defense shine.......  My first..... Is Gardner

I'm looking at the draft more seriously and I don't see a real clear path to a DT at 26 or 34 that still maintains BPA value.  Not a big fan of Tillery.  Maybe Gardner should be the choice with one of those 2 picks.

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I hesitate to agree with you simply because this may open an avalanche of Hooker jokes again. But I agree with you. 

LOL

Would we have to actually pay that hooker?

Ok...... done 

We just CANT have two Hookers...... 

These decisions are getting harder and harder. There are a lot of options (too many) in the first three rounds for DT, S (esp. SS), and WR. I could see combinations of many of them working out for us. It all depends on who gets picked by other teams, and when - things we have no control over. Trying to be realistic about who "might" be available, I see S Abrams viable at #26. DT Tillery, WR Brown or Butler at #34, WR Samuel (if we get Tillery and Brown/Butler are gone) or S Amani Hooker at #59 (if we don't get Adams), and would like to see us get some CB depth with man-to-man coverage & tackling ability in later rounds.

None of this may happen, too.

• Like 1