Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts in talks with Inman

CR91

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

2 and 3 a really a mystery at this point. Honestly he probably would have entered TC at worst 4th on the depth chart and at best 2 or 3

Only because he knows the system and is a veteran

Going into my senior year I was penciled in to be C but by game 1 I was a reserve at G so anything can happen 

25 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I think there is a very real chance that Ballard does not even consider matching whatever offer Inman may get from Detroit.  

I think there’s a very real chance that possibility exists with every single player that Ballard encourages to shop their talent to other teams.

The Colts might exceed the offer.   They might match the offer.   Or they might say, “Congratulations on your great deal with your new team!   Good luck!”.   

The business season of the NFL can be brutal...     just sayin.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Only because he knows the system and is a veteran

Going into my senior year I was penciled in to be C but by game 1 I was a reserve at G so anything can happen 

You think Inman's play doesn't warrant a spot on the team more then just his familiarity? 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think that at all. I think funchess is a upgrade over Inman. Sounds like ballard is just letting this play out like he did with Geathers and Desir. Ballard is probably in no hurry to sign Inman. If Inman wanted more then one year ballard is letting him see that maybe that is not his market.

Sure, its all speculation.  I think his real solution to the WR issue will be via the draft, so next year that guy will likely be what he really wants over Inman/Funchess.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Sure, its all speculation.  I think his real solution to the WR issue will be via the draft, so next year that guy will likely be what he really wants over Inman/Funchess.

Ot maybe what we already have turns out to be what we need. Three WR on rookie contracts plus funchess. I think there is a very good chance we already have what we need on the roster. A couple of them is probably going to work out. Until we know Inman is s good player to have.

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You think Inman's play doesn't warrant a spot on the team more then just his familiarity? 

No his pre camp designation as #2 is based on knowledge of the system

With the addition of DF, returns of DC, MJ and maturation of others he drops to very expendable and unable to keep under the 53 man rule

just an Opinion from TigerTown 

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ot maybe what we already have turns out to be what we need. Three WR on rookie contracts plus funchess. I think there is a very good chance we already have what we need on the roster. A couple of them is probably going to work out. Until we know Inman is s good player to have.

Could be, but I don't think that Cain, Fountain, and whomever the third rookie contract is will settle into being enough of a threat to help TY; which I think would be the goal of the #2WR.  I would want the D to fear putting just one DB in that guy and apply more defensive resources to stop him.  I think Inman/Funchess is viewed as a stop gap and the younger guys as depth, but that's not to say that any of the WRs can't/won't elevate their game.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Very true

If DI is brought back he could be a September Cut or a Trade Casualty 

38 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Where will Inman fit with

1. Signing of DF

2. Return of Cain and Marcus Johnson from injuries

3.  Maturation of Fountain 

4. Possible Drafting of a WR

This is the dilemma. I expect the Colts to draft a WR. Likely high. And that creates a logjam. 

TY; Funchess; Draft pick; Cain; Rogers; Johnson/Fountain. That's six right there, with the 7th on the practice squad.  You sign Inman and you delay, or potentially terminate, the chances of Johnson or Fountain to be a Colt, IMO. That doesn't make signing Inman the wrong move: he was the team's most reliable receiver last season not named TY. But it does create a problem for a team that won't carry more than 6, and potentially only 5, WRs. 

1 minute ago, Hoose said:

This is the dilemma. I expect the Colts to draft a WR. Likely high. And that creates a logjam. 

TY; Funchess; Draft pick; Cain; Rogers; Johnson/Fountain. That's six right there, with the 7th on the practice squad.  You sign Inman and you delay, or potentially terminate, the chances of Johnson or Fountain to be a Colt, IMO. That doesn't make signing Inman the wrong move: he was the team's most reliable receiver last season not named TY. But it does create a problem for a team that won't carry more than 6, and potentially only 5, WRs. 

That is exactly how I feel

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well if you bring Inman back you then let the young guys battle it  and see who is the best.  Or maybe if Inmans deal is a team friendly one Inman gets cut. I would prefer to bring Inman back until we know what we have in the younf kids.

That is very mean if DI has an opportunity to sign somewhere else

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

I'd like to see Inman back. He's better than anyone we have behind Hilton and Funchess. IMO Rogers and Pascal are wastes of roster space.

They are Slot Receivers/Returners and if they make the roster it will be because of that. DI is a big bodied WR like DF, and DC

16 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I'd like to see Inman back. He's better than anyone we have behind Hilton and Funchess. IMO Rogers and Pascal are wastes of roster space.

Rogers isn't a good comp being a slot, but in Roger's defense, he did take a huge step forward last year. His targets were doubled, and he responded by having a catch rate of 73.6 %. 

Never been a huge fan of his, but you have to respect the progress. He's top 10 in catch rate, and rated well in separation stats. What is strange, he did have several drops (something like 6 or 7) which is weird given his catch rate. 

17 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The fact that ballard said they are still working things out with him unless he gets some ridiculous offer he will probably sign him. What we know about Ballard is he doesn’t lie. Ballard will not go more then one or two years and Inman should not expect that.

"Working through some details" was the quote I think he used.  That has a wide range of meanings and does not come close to Ballard being untruthful should they not come to an agreement.  I think this Inman visit to Detroit worries Ballard not at all because I believe they are more than prepared to move on from him.  I have my money on them not doing anything with Inman until after the draft if at all.  I think the roster below is the balance of WR's they go to camp with.

Hilton

Funchess

Rogers

Cain 

Draft Pick # 1

Draft Pick # 2 (??)

Pascal

Johnson

Fountain

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

"Working through some details" was the quote I think he used.  That has a wide range of meanings and does not come close to Ballard being untruthful should they not come to an agreement.  I think this Inman visit to Detroit worries Ballard not at all because I believe they are more than prepared to move on from him.  I have my money on them not doing anything with Inman until after the draft if at all.  I think the roster below is the balance of WR's they go to camp with.

Hilton

Funchess

Rogers

Cain 

Draft Pick # 1

Draft Pick # 2 (??)

Pascal

Johnson

Fountain

That’s on paper, a very solid group of receivers. What we are certain of right now is that TY, Funchess, Cain and probably Rogers makes the opening day roster. Hopefully Cain has put forth the film study and NFL style conditioning while he has been off for injury and he comes out for training camp to shake off the rust. Those last 3 guys are basically the same receiver imho and maybe there is room for 1 of those and a draft pick if we go wr with one of those 4 initial picks. If we pick a wr after the 3rd round, then they just compete it out with the bottom 3 and we move on with our PS build. Injuries may also dictate who stays and goes but I’d guess 6 wr’s make the squad and I really liked what Johnson flashed us in his short audition. Pascal has done a few nice things while here as well and of course Fountain was a 2018 draft pick with high hopes but did get cut and sent to the PS until late in the season and dropped his only attempt in the endzone while being virtually wide open. Hopefully we get one of all these receivers not named TY to break out this preseason to make cuts easier. 

20 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I dont see a problem with a 2 year deal in the 8-10 mill range

That’s what I was thinking....  and in spite of some very impressive 40 times and combine drills among this crop of WR prospects.... there doesn’t seem to be a blue-chipper among them according to the so-called experts.

So my thought is that a veteran mix of TY, Inman and Funchess along with whichever 2 or 3 of the youngsters we already have dukin’ it out for the remaining roster spots would give us a solid WR corps.

All I know is that Inman came in off the street and played some pretty clutch football for us with TY nicked up.... and Andrew trusted him.

Anyway I’m sure Ballard has his $$ set.... hopefully it will work out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

That’s on paper, a very solid group of receivers. What we are certain of right now is that TY, Funchess, Cain and probably Rogers makes the opening day roster. Hopefully Cain has put forth the film study and NFL style conditioning while he has been off for injury and he comes out for training camp to shake off the rust. Those last 3 guys are basically the same receiver imho and maybe there is room for 1 of those and a draft pick if we go wr with one of those 4 initial picks. If we pick a wr after the 3rd round, then they just compete it out with the bottom 3 and we move on with our PS build. Injuries may also dictate who stays and goes but I’d guess 6 wr’s make the squad and I really liked what Johnson flashed us in his short audition. Pascal has done a few nice things while here as well and of course Fountain was a 2018 draft pick with high hopes but did get cut and sent to the PS until late in the season and dropped his only attempt in the endzone while being virtually wide open. Hopefully we get one of all these receivers not named TY to break out this preseason to make cuts easier. 

Of the top 10 or 15 Os, our WR by committee group last year was arguably the worst in terms combined rating/ranking. So I wouldn't call it solid. "Potential" maybe. All we've done really is swap out the 129th WR (Grant) for the 82nd ranked WR (Funchess). I'm a huge Cain fan, but even without injury there were questions about his last year (he regressed a bit). Adding injury to the mix complicates things even more. Praying he doesn't lose a step and is a beat this year. 

I love the potential of some of these guys, but it's only potential at this point. I'd rank WR as the position group with the most questions/concerns. QB, OL, and TE are good. RB is trending up. DBs and LBs are at minimum solid to trending up. DEs are much improved with Houston. iDL is really the loan spot on D that really needs upgrade. In short, I like BPA, but if the delta is small between players, prioritize iDL and WR in the first 3 rounds. 

Inman is a good guy and is very consistent. IMO, he's limited, will never blow you away, but he's solid depth. He's a great locker room guy, and he wants to be here. Not sure if that's enough as the Inn is crowded,  and having him will limit targets to the younger guys that Ballard wants to develop. Regardless of what happens, I'm cheering for him personally.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DougDew said:

Could be, but I don't think that Cain, Fountain, and whomever the third rookie contract is will settle into being enough of a threat to help TY; which I think would be the goal of the #2WR.  I would want the D to fear putting just one DB in that guy and apply more defensive resources to stop him.  I think Inman/Funchess is viewed as a stop gap and the younger guys as depth, but that's not to say that any of the WRs can't/won't elevate their game.

Why does everyone leave out Pascal? I think right now he's the second best receiver we have on the roster, every bit equal or better than anyone else outside TY.  (Not counting Funchess, because he's gotten starter snaps for 4 years and Pascal hasn't, but I'd say they are 50/50 just due to reliability to catch the ball).  Cain has shown zero, Fountain couldn't catch a wide open ball in the end zone right on his hands and no one else has anything special to offer.  I imagine by default (and 10 large) Funchess will be #2 by the end of training camp probably before the first preseason game.  I am sure he's working the playbook now and hopefully he's somewhere working out with that in mind.  The chart will always list the veterans on the team, but it is meaningless until training camp settles it.  Inman is in journeyman mode, if the Detroit offer is significantly better, I don't blame him trying to get what money he can before his time runs out.  He has bills like all of us do.  If Inman DOES sign with us, I think he is our #2 until Funchess can prove himself in training camp.  We all hope he can do that.  

If Inman resigns it doesn’t really matter who is number two between funchess and him. TY is number one and the other two will both have a role and impact.

We really don’t know what we have in the three young guys. Johnson had a touchdown in the jets game and looked good. None of them have really played for us to know what they will do. 

29 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Why does everyone leave out Pascal? I think right now he's the second best receiver we have on the roster, every bit equal or better than anyone else outside TY.  (Not counting Funchess, because he's gotten starter snaps for 4 years and Pascal hasn't, but I'd say they are 50/50 just due to reliability to catch the ball).  Cain has shown zero, Fountain couldn't catch a wide open ball in the end zone right on his hands and no one else has anything special to offer.  I imagine by default (and 10 large) Funchess will be #2 by the end of training camp probably before the first preseason game.  I am sure he's working the playbook now and hopefully he's somewhere working out with that in mind.  The chart will always list the veterans on the team, but it is meaningless until training camp settles it.  Inman is in journeyman mode, if the Detroit offer is significantly better, I don't blame him trying to get what money he can before his time runs out.  He has bills like all of us do.  If Inman DOES sign with us, I think he is our #2 until Funchess can prove himself in training camp.  We all hope he can do that.  

Pascal is a FA right now, so not sure if he'll be back. He had some flashes last year, but his catch rate was pretty bad (not as bad as Funchess though). 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Pascal is a exclusive rights FA which means he will be back.

only if tendered. haven't seen any reports that we've tendered a qualifying offer?

we've tendered other ERFA's already, so likely means we're in a wait and see mode on Pascal.

The other ERFA's we've tendered already are 

» Wide receiver Marcus Johnson

» Long snapper Luke Rhodes

The fact we tendered MJ already, might not be a great sign for ZP.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:15 PM, JPFolks said:

Okay, let me be more specific.  Do you think we use one of our top 3 picks on a WR if we resign Inman?  I say no (though I have been advocating FOR doing just that, perhaps even with our first pick, as well as considering picking a high profile TE if one falls to us) but as much as I like Inman (and I do) there just isn't room.  It would likely mean of a 5 person roster, we have to lose Cain or Pascal at least.  (Plus Fountain which I fully expect short of camp injuries).  I though Pascal was on an upward arc last season and Cain is a complete ?   So, do we use a top pick, say one of our first 3, which will force us to cut at least one of the above 5 WRs.  

I would have to say yes, and Fountain would be the odd man out. Cain sounds like he has more potential even with the health and the unknown. A #3 or #4 wr is only a high ankle sprain away from significant playing time so maybe that is an area for upgrade.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Pascal is a FA right now, so not sure if he'll be back. He had some flashes last year, but his catch rate was pretty bad (not as bad as Funchess though). 

Thanks YJ, I mistakenly thought he was still in play.  As you said, his catch rate was still better than Funchess and he was a low paid FA rookie.  If he isn't on the team either, then who do we have again? Hilton, Funchess, Rogers, Cain and Fountain? Who am I missing? If that is it, we need to draft a WR with our 1st pick if any of the top WRs are there.  If we sign Inman, then maybe one of the first 3 rounds.  I will be surprised if Fountain is around and Cain is a complete ? so that is not a murderers row of WR talent.  One injury to Hilton and what do we do? Just play Funchess and 3 TE's hoping Doyle is the target so the ball isn't dropped outside the endzone? Rogers needs to be the final WR on the team IF he even makes it.  I think him being anywhere near #3 means a massive failure.  I'd rather see Funchess at the #3 and someone great (Reggie Wayne to TY's Harrison) with our healthy Dallas Clarks (Doyle) and match-up nightmares Funchess and Ebron.  People think Cain, I think it is too risky to count on that.  Maybe Pascal will be in training camp and we can see if he has improved over the year.  Thanks!  

13 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Thanks YJ, I mistakenly thought he was still in play.  As you said, his catch rate was still better than Funchess and he was a low paid FA rookie.  If he isn't on the team either, then who do we have again? Hilton, Funchess, Rogers, Cain and Fountain? Who am I missing? If that is it, we need to draft a WR with our 1st pick if any of the top WRs are there.  If we sign Inman, then maybe one of the first 3 rounds.  I will be surprised if Fountain is around and Cain is a complete ? so that is not a murderers row of WR talent.  One injury to Hilton and what do we do? Just play Funchess and 3 TE's hoping Doyle is the target so the ball isn't dropped outside the endzone? Rogers needs to be the final WR on the team IF he even makes it.  I think him being anywhere near #3 means a massive failure.  I'd rather see Funchess at the #3 and someone great (Reggie Wayne to TY's Harrison) with our healthy Dallas Clarks (Doyle) and match-up nightmares Funchess and Ebron.  People think Cain, I think it is too risky to count on that.  Maybe Pascal will be in training camp and we can see if he has improved over the year.  Thanks!  

overall, i still expect us to draft a WR. i think ballard is in a wait and see mode on Inman and ZP. he may be waiting on the draft, may be waiting to see how Cain is progressing, or both.

if i had to guess, i'd bet that one of the two come back. ZP showed flashes (was good in both Houston games), Inman showed consistency and was solid depth. in the short term, i'd probably pick inman if i had to chose one.

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

overall, i still expect us to draft a WR. i think ballard is in a wait and see mode on Inman and ZP. he may be waiting on the draft, may be waiting to see how Cain is progressing, or both.

if i had to guess, i'd bet that one of the two come back. ZP showed flashes (was good in both Houston games), Inman showed consistency and was solid depth. in the short term, i'd probably pick inman if i had to chose one.

Comparing ZP to DI is like comparing Kelly to Constanso two very different types of players

What will affect DI is the signing of DF and return of Cain and maybe Johnson

8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Comparing ZP to DI is like comparing Kelly to Constanso two very different types of players

What will affect DI is the signing of DF and return of Cain and maybe Johnson

I'm not comparing them to each other, simply describing them. They are both in a position group that will have to make some decisions. The both did play around 30% of their snaps out of slot, but that's about the end of their similarity. 6-2/220 vs 6-3/200. DP was closer in size though to our WR2 last year (Grant). 

What will matter more than anything, is if we draft a WR, and if we do, what type we draft.

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm not comparing them to each other, simply describing them. They are both in a position group that will have to make some decisions. The both did play around 30% of their snaps out of slot, but that's about the end of their similarity. 6-2/220 vs 6-3/200. DP was closer in size though to our WR2 last year (Grant). 

What will matter more than anything, is if we draft a WR, and if we do, what type we draft.

Agreed

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I hope it is a young burner like Hilton.. we have some big big bodies.. we need SEPARATION and a back up plan if Hilton goes down.  Plus he's getting older and we need him to train the next great Colts WR like Harrison trained Reggie and Reggie trained TY.  

• Thanks 1