Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts in talks with Inman

CR91

14 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Scott, you're thinking Route Runner over Separation guy? TY seems to be the only breakaway guy we have, the rest being big bodies which we know they like.  I think it is time for TY to be teaching a young TY type the ropes.  You? I know he can ALSO route run, so you may think it covers both? 

If we look at it that way I'd love Parris Campbell from Ohio State. But that would likely require the number 34 pick.....

27 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Scott, you're thinking Route Runner over Separation guy? TY seems to be the only breakaway guy we have, the rest being big bodies which we know they like.  I think it is time for TY to be teaching a young TY type the ropes.  You? I know he can ALSO route run, so you may think it covers both? 

Then draft m brown

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Then draft m brown

Well, with the guys signed we have already, I can't imagine we'd use a #1 on him.  Would love to have another speed guy.  Let's face it, Grigson made 3 excellent picks (I think only 4-6 of his picks are still with us if Geathers resigns right?)  Luck was a no brainer.   His best pick by far was TY Hilton.  Brown is definitely fast.  Does he have everything else TY brings to the table? I have a feeling the Colts won't get to find out on our team.  

Definitely in the minority here, but save for TY, all our receivers are "solid" at best and certainly won't scare any D coordinator.  Since we don't have any glaring needs anywhere, and if a potential game breaking type guy is there, why not take a chance and take him, even if we have to move up to do it?

Ballard has done a great job of making us a good, solid contender with no real weakness.  Time to make us into a scary good team.  Be aggressive and take some chances in this draft. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

I think if he didn't believe Funches can be the next Ebron (Autry, Hunt), he wouldn't have signed him in the first day of free agency for 10 mills. 

However, with Funches on board, he has the "luxury" of drafting trully by his board, no positional considerations. Whoever jumps out of his board, he can pick him. 

Btw, its crazy that two years ago this roster was literally a disaster. Ballard had to sign yourneymen from the street to be STARTERS on sundays. And now, he has a young, quality NFL roster with depth and without glaring needs. Great job, Mr. Ballard.

Excellent post. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Rogers and Pascal don't have any guaranteed money.  Cain has some guaranteed money but it's so small that it's essentially meaningless to the conversation.

I don't think WR will be a priority in the draft as I think the focus will heavily be on defense.  But if BPA a WR was taken high than there would be a battle for roster spots.

I would also note that I'm pretty sure Cain could be put on the practice squad.

I'm sure Cain is practice squad eligible but after his good showing in camp last year and the fact you have to pass through waivers to get to the practice squad, I doubt he would make it there. Fountain would though I bet, lol.

4 hours ago, cbear said:

Definitely in the minority here, but save for TY, all our receivers are "solid" at best and certainly won't scare any D coordinator.  Since we don't have any glaring needs anywhere, and if a potential game breaking type guy is there, why not take a chance and take him, even if we have to move up to do it?

Ballard has done a great job of making us a good, solid contender with no real weakness.  Time to make us into a scary good team.  Be aggressive and take some chances in this draft. 

I don’t think you are in the minority here however, when you lump in Doyle and Ebron to TY, we do have some nice options. I think what the open minded fan sees, (not saying you’re closed minded) is a group of younger receivers, along with a top 3 QB and an oline that was giving that guy a lot more time to find an open guy. So what I see is a group of average wr’s that when combined with the mix are New England style good. What I mean by that is if this guy or that guy got plucked from our roster and was expected to be as valuable to that team as he is for us, that team will be disappointed. 

Saying that, I’m still not sure this team is in the correct year to make the bold move up to go pick out a prime time wr as there are lots of great talented kids going to fall to us at not only 34 but to 59 also. I’m not going to be shocked if we don’t take defensive guy and I will say we may have even set ourselves to take Simmons at 34 and let him redshirt this year then take a receiving threat if the value is still there at 59. 

Sorry I strayed a little bit there. 

• Like 1

Yeah, unless Cain comes out and looks like a different guy for the worse, I can’t see the team allowing him to go to the PS risk. Fountain from what he put out last season is definitely an option for the PS. I hope he has really worked hard this offseason and comes in with a much improved skill set. Can’t wait to see who worked themselves into a starters job this season. Pascal? Johnson?  Cain? Fountain? 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/22/colts-still-working-through-it-with-dontrelle-inman/

Colts “still working through it” with Dontrelle Inman

...“There’s a difference in age between Dontrelle and Funchess,” Ballard said on 1070 WFAN, via the Indianapolis Star. “We’re still working through it with Dontrelle. We like Dontrelle a lot, and he had a great year last year, but we’re still working through some details on that.”...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

But we Do know what we have. We have a Playmaker Star in TY. We have Funchess on a 1 year contract that so far in his career has been 'unspectacular'. Cain who flashed in camp but is coming off of a serious injury and still hasn't ever caught a nfl pass. Inman or not, outside of TY, we will have a WR group that are 'Just a guy' UNLESS we spend a High Draft pick on a WR. Which I doubt Ballard will do, but hope I am wrong.

I agree that WR is still a need and will be addressed in the draft. Why would you think Ballard won’t invest a high pick in a receiver?

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

If we look at it that way I'd love Parris Campbell from Ohio State. But that would likely require the number 34 pick.....

There is another OSU WR that's getting noticed.  Terry McLaurin. Round 3 or 4.  Would probably be our 3rd best WR behind TY and Funch.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I agree that WR is still a need and will be addressed in the draft. Why would you think Ballard won’t invest a high pick in a receiver?

Not because I think he is not willing to invest there. I think he does. I just think WR right now - especially if Inman will be back as well - is not bigger need than most positions. The Colts are more than less set at starters. Actually, they are pretty much set at depth as well. However, they need more "blue chips". True, elite game changing playmakers. That's what I want (hope) Ballard will try to find in this upcoming draft. If that's a WR, then so be it. However, I think the quality in this draft is in defense, expecially at DL, edge and CB. So, I expect some of potential future blue chip DL, edge, CB be available at 26th and 34th, maybe even at the 56th, and if this is true, I expect Ballard to pick them, instead of considering positional needs. Of course, if a top tier WR falls to us, pick him. But I don't see that happening this year.

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

It would be serendipity if Jeffery Simmons slid to the Colts at pick 34.  I think Parris Campbell would be much better value at pick 59.  Even if Ballard misses out on Campbell, he could still draft a smaller but very fast/quick WR in the 4th or 5th round to develop in the mold of T.Y., such as Mecole Hardman (4.33 speed).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickybobby said:

Would you rather sign Inman for a year or Jordy Nelson? Inman is already 30. I don’t think you want him back for a long contract.

Inman, with TY hobbled by the nagging ankle injury..... very quickly developed chemistry with Andrew.... so I would prefer we re-sign him for 2 or 3 years.

The tricky part..... in light of the contact Funchess got.... is at what price? :dunno:

8 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Inman, with TY hobbled by the nagging ankle injury..... very quickly developed chemistry with Andrew.... so I would prefer we re-sign him for 2 or 3 years.

The tricky part..... in light of the contact Funchess got.... is at what price? :dunno:

I think we could get him back at a reasonable price. I wouldn’t give him more then two years unless there was a out after the first or second year. Let’s be honest we won’t need him if we get some of our young guys developed. But I think every team can use a Inman. Steady hands that is always dependable.

i bet Ballard is waiting to see how the draft shakes out. But even then you can’t depend on a rookie to be steady like Inman.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 11:11 AM, Chloe6124 said:

It does make you wonder if the reason Inman isn’t signed yet is because Ballard is thinking about taking one with one of those second round picks. Not that I think he should but maybe he is waiting to see what he gets in the draft.

i do think Inman provides some stability and we need to bring him back.

i think they are likely being very honest with him, but also throwing a low ball offer at him. that's just my opinion. he should have never said he wants to retire here lol.

it would not surprise me if ballard made him a low offer, and said something like:

"if you want locked in now, here's an offer. we're going to look in the draft. if we find someone, there may or may not be an offer. if we don't, your offer could go up a little."

6 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

i think they are likely being very honest with him, but also throwing a low ball offer at him. that's just my opinion. he should have never said he wants to retire here lol.

it would not surprise me if ballard made him a low offer, and said something like:

"if you want locked in now, here's an offer. we're going to look in the draft. if we find someone, there may or may not be an offer. if we don't, your offer could go up a little."

I could see that. Ballard seems to be a straight shooter. No matter if we get one in the draft or not I think he needs to be brought back. His reliability can’t be underestimated. If we start dropping balls during the season he might not be there to get.  

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I could see that. Ballard seems to be a straight shooter. No matter if we get one in the draft or not I think he needs to be brought back. His reliability can’t be underestimated. If we start dropping balls during the season he might not be there to get.  

he's solid, a good guy, and wants to be a Colt. i hope it works out. there's only so much room in the Inn though. i'd rather have him than a few of the other WRs on the roster.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2019 at 11:58 AM, rickybobby said:

Would you rather sign Inman for a year or Jordy Nelson? Inman is already 30. I don’t think you want him back for a long contract.

On 3/23/2019 at 1:08 PM, pacolts56 said:

PAcolt got this right. Exactly why I too would take Inman over Nelson. We know just what we have in Inman, there is no guarantee that Nelson could come in here and do any better and we know neither of these guys are #1 receivers, they are needed for making the catch when TY is all covered up and Inman checked that box just perfectly last season. I’d sign Inman for 3 years and not hesitate unless he is looking for 5+ a year. If he wants more than that, I’d just draft 26,34 or 59 with that crop of solid wr’s. It’s not going to be a 3 yr contract that guarantees all 3 years, in fact, I’d set it up so it’s able to be cut after each year if he falls off or someone over takes his spot. Jmo 

• Like 1

At some point someone has to be the odd man out here. The WR situation is starting to get a little weird. 

Hilton is #1. That’s what we know

We don’t have a true #2. That was also know

We’ve got Funchess and Cain who are candidates to fill that spot this season. Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. Maybe they add someone via the draft to this little group. But it’s definitely not a sure bet that anyone there will be a good #2

Then there’s Rodgers who they seem to value. Fountain is somewhere out there. 

Where does Inman fit in that mix?

I really do think we will draft a WR with one of our first 3 picks. I think there’s going to be a run on D-linemen and O-linemen that’s going to drop some good players into that range. 

Its clear that they don’t view Inman as a number 2 or they would have resigned him over Funchess. But it’s also clear that they have some skepticism that Funchess can be a #2 as well since they only signed him for a single year. 

I don’t see Inman coming back in all honesty. There’s just too much going on at WR and he’s likely to get lost in the shuffle. 

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

PAcolt got this right. Exactly why I too would take Inman over Nelson. We know just what we have in Inman, there is no guarantee that Nelson could come in here and do any better and we know neither of these guys are #1 receivers, they are needed for making the catch when TY is all covered up and Inman checked that box just perfectly last season. I’d sign Inman for 3 years and not hesitate unless he is looking for 5+ a year. If he wants more than that, I’d just draft 26,34 or 59 with that crop of solid wr’s. It’s not going to be a 3 yr contract that guarantees all 3 years, in fact, I’d set it up so it’s able to be cut after each year if he falls off or someone over takes his spot. Jmo 

I have not read all through this thread so maybe others have addressed it.  I have what may be a different take on Inman.  He was on the street in the middle of the season last year.  And while he played exceptionally well for Indy last year, there is a reason he is still not signed right now.  

My two cents on what Ballard is doing.  First off, I think the Funches signing will have no impact on whether or not they draft a WR.  In fact, I would not be surprised if they draft more than one with one of those picks being a day 2 selection at the latest.

With regards to Inman, I see them getting through the draft and taking inventory of their roster at that point.  If Inman is still available then, and I suspect he will be, they consider bringing him back in May.  And at a very team-friendly deal with limited guarantees - if any.  In other words, they sign him to a contract that makes him very cut-able in September if younger guys step up.  Or they may only sign him should injuries require it in-season.

I don't believe the size of the Funches' contract plays a role at all.  Inman is not getting close to that figure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

At some point someone has to be the odd man out here. The WR situation is starting to get a little weird. 

Hilton is #1. That’s what we know

We don’t have a true #2. That was also know

We’ve got Funchess and Cain who are candidates to fill that spot this season. Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. Maybe they add someone via the draft to this little group. But it’s definitely not a sure bet that anyone there will be a good #2

Then there’s Rodgers who they seem to value. Fountain is somewhere out there. 

Where does Inman fit in that mix?

I really do think we will draft a WR with one of our first 3 picks. I think there’s going to be a run on D-linemen and O-linemen that’s going to drop some good players into that range. 

Its clear that they don’t view Inman as a number 2 or they would have resigned him over Funchess. But it’s also clear that they have some skepticism that Funchess can be a #2 as well since they only signed him for a single year. 

I don’t see Inman coming back in all honesty. There’s just too much going on at WR and he’s likely to get lost in the shuffle. 

I think Inman fits in really well. If we go into the season with Hilton, funchess, and Inman as the main three. Then let all the young kids fight it out. Cain is going to have to be eased back in after that injury and he hasn’t played one game. Let Cain , fountain, and Johnson fight it out. Inmans reliability and chemistry with Luck can’t be understated. I would not give Inman more then two years. Maybe only one to see what we got in the other receivers.

28 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

Inman was arguably the most reliable WR on the team last year.  Yes, I know Hilton was hurt part of the time, and yes, some of the young guys probably have more upside.  But for the next 2 years, the Colts' offense will be better with him than without him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Inman fits in really well. If we go into the season with Hilton, funchess, and Inman as the main three. Then let all the young kids fight it out. Cain is going to have to be eased back in after that injury and he hasn’t played one game. Let Cain , fountain, and Johnson fight it out. Inmans reliability and chemistry with Luck can’t be understated. I would not give Inman more then two years. Maybe only one to see what we got in the other receivers.

The thing is, Inman isn’t looking to be a one year rental, which is exactly what he’d wind up being coming back here. He wants longer-term security and we can’t offer that without wasting some of the draft picks we’ve made in guys like Rodgers, Cain, Fountain, and if we draft another early this year.

There’s just no room at the inn for him after the Funchess signing. I’d be surprised if he returns. 

32 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The thing is, Inman isn’t looking to be a one year rental, which is exactly what he’d wind up being coming back here. He wants longer-term security and we can’t offer that without wasting some of the draft picks we’ve made in guys like Rodgers, Cain, Fountain, and if we draft another early this year.

There’s just no room at the inn for him after the Funchess signing. I’d be surprised if he returns. 

Reports are that we have been talking with Inman for a while, even before the Funchess signing.  I'm speculating, but it suggests to me that maybe Ballard has been less confident in his ability to sign Inman to the Colts' terms, unlike some of our other FA, which weighed into the decision to sign Funchess now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Reports are that we have been talking with Inman for a while, even before the Funchess signing.  I'm speculating, but it suggests to me that maybe Ballard has been less confident in his ability to sign Inman to the Colts' terms, unlike some of our other FA, which weighed into the decision to sign Funchess now.

I don’t think that at all. I think funchess is a upgrade over Inman. Sounds like ballard is just letting this play out like he did with Geathers and Desir. Ballard is probably in no hurry to sign Inman. If Inman wanted more then one year ballard is letting him see that maybe that is not his market.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Im just hoping Inman gives the colts a chance to match whatever the lions offer

I think there is a very real chance that Ballard does not even consider matching whatever offer Inman may get from Detroit.  

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

I think there is a very real chance that Ballard does not even consider matching whatever offer Inman may get from Detroit.  

Very true. I can see Detroit offering him a multiple year deal and I can't see Ballard doing that.

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

The fact that ballard said they are still working things out with him unless he gets some ridiculous offer he will probably sign him. What we know about Ballard is he doesn’t lie. Ballard will not go more then one or two years and Inman should not expect that.

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Where will Inman fit with

1. Signing of DF

2. Return of Cain and Marcus Johnson from injuries

3.  Maturation of Fountain 

4. Possible Drafting of a WR

2 and 3 a really a mystery at this point. Honestly he probably would have entered TC at worst 4th on the depth chart and at best 2 or 3