Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts in talks with Inman

CR91

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Not to get started on the Funchess stuff again...but this would be a curious move. Funchess and Inman are very similar WRs with similar roles in this offense. Depth is nice I guess...but I think I would prefer that player be a draft pick/guy on rookie deal developing...not a vet.

Not really a fan of having both Inman and Funchess on the field...outside of red zone situations. I got the need for speed.

If they bring back Inman...I hope he gets a chance to compete for that starting X receiver spot. Now that will be interesting to watch. 

I think Funchess is much more physical then Inman. Inman is about the same height but doesn’t have the physical tool of going up after the ball like Funchess. Ebron and funchess are much more similar then Inman and funchess. 

Watching Ebron highlights I am excited for funchess. It’s goinf to create so many mismatches with both of them on the field at the same time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Of course we would re-sign him in that scenario. My issue is if we don't re-sign him (because he did poor), and we didn't draft a WR to develop just in case, we'd be back to square one next year at WR with a worse WR class to draft from and fewer picks. I just want it done right even if we have extra receivers that turn out to be good. You can never have too much of a good thing in football.

We would just draft a WR in 2020. 

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

What are their roles? How can you say they have similar roles in the offense when we haven't seen Funchess in the offense yet?

Well I can't. But looking at measureables and advanced stats...we can see they are very similar WR types...taller, slower, don't get much separation and can't really RAC. 

So I just looked at how they used Inman last year. They deploy a lot of 3-WR sets. Pretty safe to say they aren't putting Funchess in the slot (that's Rogers or Ebron) or having him go in motion (like TY). He is very like going to be the X receiver...which was the role that Inman was playing down the stretch.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We would just draft a WR in 2020. 

Yes, and you yourself said that receivers take longer to develop (which is true), so that would put off our WR's until 2021 until they are a strength rather than 2020 (and have the luxury of taking one in an excellent WR class with 9 picks rather than next year with 7). I'd rather be set a year early after seeing how poorly this WR group performed last year, and Funchess by himself isn't enough to deter me from drafting one.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think WR is one of the biggest question marks of any draft position.  I think you can get a receiver anywhere in the draft. I just don’t put a lot of stock in WR early. It’s one of the hardest positions to learn in the nfl as a young player. A defensive player can come in and make a huge impact right away. 

If you think WR is a difficult position to adjust to from college I would think the earlier you get one, meaning more talented, the better the chances of him being productive.

As far  defensive players making a early transition/impact the only one so far has been Leonard. 

Jmo.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard might feel he has what he needs in WR. He is  there everyday and has seen what they have done.

Cain is a ? because of the injury but he is sure being hyped up. 

The young guys we have are already going to be ahead of a draft pick.  Fountain is working hard with a coach to improve his skills. We will see.

Yep. We’re basically adding 2 more WR to the mix already with Caine and Fountain.  Yes unproven.  But so will be any we drafted this yr 

I really hope we dont waste a top pick (rounds 1-3) on a WR. And expect Ballard and Reich feel the same on this 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Yep. We’re basically adding 2 more WR to the mix already with Caine and Fountain.  Yes unproven.  But so will be any we drafted this yr 

I really hope we dont waste a top pick (rounds 1-3) on a WR. And expect Ballard and Reich feel the same on this 

What about Johnson also. He had a TD in the jets game before he got hurt. So it’s really 3 in the mix. If Inman comes back he will be there will be three and these young kids get to fight it out. We will be really strong at receiver as long as everyone stays healthy.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If you think WR is a difficult position to adjust to from college I would think the earlier you get one, meaning more talented, the better the chances of him being productive.

As far  defensive players making a early transition/impact the only one so far has been Leonard. 

Jmo.

That’s my point. Even ones drafted very early still have a huge learning curve.  

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That’s my point. Even ones drafted very early still have a huge learning curve.  

If you don't Buy them in FA and don't draft them early you run a high risk in a 'passing league' of having a very pedestrian group of receivers....which outside of TY we do.

I said this in the other thread over on the Draft and FA page....

But reading that we are trying to bring Inman back just makes my day!

Our receiving group will be better with Inman in it.    He's a professional receiver.   He's not fast, or flashy...    he's solid and dependable.    He gets open and makes the catch.    You could see Luck quickly grew to look for him.    They're a good match.

Looking forward to reading that Inman will be back for the 19 season....   That'll be a good day for Colts Nation!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If you don't Buy them in FA and don't draft them early you run a high risk in a 'passing league' of having a very pedestrian group of receivers....which outside of TY we do.

What do you consider early ?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Our receiving group will be better with Inman in it.    He's a professional receiver.   He's not fast, or flashy...    he's solid and dependable.    He gets open and makes the catch.    You could see Luck quickly grew to look for him.    They're a good match.

In my opinion this is what we need just a group of "professional receivers". I just look over the years at what the Patriots have done with a bunch "professional recievers". We have a top 5 QB. He will make our WR's better than they would be elsewhere. Personally, I think our draft capital could be better spend on the other side of the ball. I'm sure some people will disagree but that my :2c:.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Inman coming back is a no-brainer (from the information that we have). Obviously the upside is capped...but you know what you are getting...and that is a dependable WR who can catch and has built a rapport and trust with Luck...that no WR (outside of Hilton) has.

Luck had a 120 passer rating when targeting Inman...that is better than both Ebron and Hilton. Obviously, the type of usage (more efficient routes) plays a role...but that is damn near an elite connection (ranked #11 in the NFL last year...two spots behind Brees/Thomas).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

A follow up, if one of the top TE's are there when it is our pick, any chance you think we pounce on them? Do you see a need for a young TE that already know's how to play to go along with Doyle and Ebron? 

That one is a bit tougher, personally,  I don't think so.  I can see and understand a case for Hockenstein(sp?) if he is there.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That one is a bit tougher, personally,  I don't think so.  I can see and understand a case for Hockenstein(sp?) if he is there.

He's the one guy that I think alters the draft strategy. Ballard saw firsthand what Kelce does for a team. He's as (if not more) valuable and impactful than just about anybody they could potentially get there (barring some unforeseen drop by a top 5-10 player).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would tend to disagree ....... I STILL think that we get a WR talent in the draft

If you think about this group, we have one player shifty, and speedy player that can cleanly separate which is Hilton.  If HE gets hurt, we are in a BIG problem

We have no true depth there...... not good

The others are plus 6ft, type of recievers

I think a player like Cambell or Isabella, might be that player that can get open and move the sticks between the 20's

I love me some Butler, (Yeah.....  I liked him before it was COOL  :) ) and I know he is enormous, but he could stand still and catch the pass with his long arms (he doesnt need as much separation)

But think he may actually fall in round one..... and be gone before 34

We will see

I agree with you about drafting a WR, though I think Butler, as promising as he is, has the same separation problem the other WRs other than TY have. On the other hand, I see a player like Campbell fitting like a glove with this Colts team. They will have to take him by pick #34 because I suspect he'll be gone quickly thereafter. And I would have no problem whatsoever with the Colts making that pick. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I think if Inman resigns it means drafting a high profile receiver is VERY unlikely.  Agree or disagree?

That means we are rolling with: 

Hilton, Inman, Funchess, Cain, Pascal and Rogers.  Not sure what all the contracts are, but it seems unlikely these guys don't have guaranteed money or that they would (re)sign all of them only to guarantee there isn't room for one of them.  They could nuke Pascal or Cain, but I hope they keep developing and stay with us.  

That's why I'm thinking a precise route runner like Stanley Morgan Jr. In the 6th round would push some of the young guys.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

That isn’t really true. 

Outside of TY you think the group is considered good?

Last year I believe the colts receivers were among the leaders in dropped passes and also said that they have trouble getting separation.

So far our only addition is Funchess who is also considered to drop passes.

It may workout or not?.....We just have see how it shakes out.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Inman coming back is a no-brainer (from the information that we have). Obviously the upside is capped...but you know what you are getting...and that is a dependable WR who can catch and has built a rapport and trust with Luck...that no WR (outside of Hilton) has.

Luck had a 120 passer rating when targeting Inman...that is better than both Ebron and Hilton. Obviously, the type of usage (more efficient routes) plays a role...but that is damn near an elite connection (ranked #11 in the NFL last year...two spots behind Brees/Thomas).

You make an excellent case for signing Inman. I agree; he's reliable and has some solid juju with Luck. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I think if Inman resigns it means drafting a high profile receiver is VERY unlikely.  Agree or disagree?

That means we are rolling with: 

Hilton, Inman, Funchess, Cain, Pascal and Rogers.  Not sure what all the contracts are, but it seems unlikely these guys don't have guaranteed money or that they would (re)sign all of them only to guarantee there isn't room for one of them.  They could nuke Pascal or Cain, but I hope they keep developing and stay with us.  

Just listen to Ballard, he'll tell you he doesn't like to draft WR high.  I expect us to go Dline and DB early and I wouldn't be surprised with an OT selection.  If a big-time talent WR falls you never know but I think you have it right.  The WR corp with Inman will be largely settled and be super competitive.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t have a issue in drafting one in a later round. I just think WR is such A ? whether they can play in the nfl I don’t think it’s a good idea in the first or second round. I think a WR in the later rounds can be just as good as one in the first round.

Everyone is talking up metcalf because of his physical traits. But what about his head and if he is smart enough to learn to run nfl routes ect.

Actually, taking a WR in the 1st is one of the safer bets. 40% of the time they are either good or great. 74% of the time they are at minimum average. Only TE and Cs taken in the 1st round have a smaller  bad/bust rate. DTs also are a safe bet. 

http://www.footballperspective.com/which-positions-are-the-safest-to-draft-in-the-first-round/

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Even a high draft pick there is no guarantee they can play. Ballard is not wasting a high draft pick on a WR. College football does a terrible job getting kids ready to be NFL WR.  Unless one of the studs fall to 26 we will go defense 

we have to draft them anyway or else we wont have any good ones in a few years. fountain and cain are both late round fliers that had zero catches combined in their rookie year

this is a good class for WRs, i dont think we can say we are set because we took a couple last year that literally didnt do anything 

18 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we have to draft them anyway or else we wont have any good ones in a few years. fountain and cain are both late round fliers that had zero catches combined in their rookie year

this is a good class for WRs, i dont think we can say we are set because we took a couple last year that literally didnt do anything 

They are young.  Give them  time. Drafting another WR especially high does nothing for us. They will be developing just like the other three. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They are young.  Give them  time. Drafting another WR especially high does nothing for us. They will be developing just like the other three. 

you can say that about anything, plus a rookie WR can be good too

23 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I hope Ballard resigns Inman so we can focus on the defense and offensive line depth in the draft.  

Inman really doesn't do much to satisfy our WR needs. He's quality depth, but will never be a legit stretch #2 to keep TY out of double coverage.

Ballard has said several times that everyone wants a legit #2 WR, so I'm guessing he's getting pressure from more than just fans. Reich has been a quick and short pass guy, playing more horizontal than anything. He's got a vertical QB now. It will be interesting what they do. I'd bet anything that Luck and TY are politicking for a WR in the first three rounds. 

Inman would be a nice addition.  He's sort of the veteran route runner precision guy, along with the physical Funchess type.

Then all we'd need is the threatening playmaking water bug, Deebo Samuel at 34 or 59, and we'd have a real nice mix of options and roles.

28 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

not exactly. see below.

Receivers also have a high washout rate. However, an impressive 30.4 percent of receivers were instant-impact guys. A relatively small one-and-done group, 55 percent of first- and second-round receivers finished their first three seasons looking like solid contributors.

Interestingly, the old fantasy football notion that receivers really come to life in their third season isn't supported by this data; they had one of the smallest populations of slow developers.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2027100-which-position-presents-the-biggest-leap-for-nfl-draft-prospects

13 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Inman really doesn't do much to satisfy our WR needs. 

You mean except actually catch the football?   Remember all the drops before he got here?  If you count week 17 and the 2 playoff games, the Colts played 3 straight "win or go home" games.  In those games, Luck threw a total of 13 passes to Inman. He caught 12 of them.  There is no way last year's team goes from 1-5 to 10-6 if they don't sign Inman. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Inman really doesn't do much to satisfy our WR needs. He's quality depth, but will never be a legit stretch #2 to keep TY out of double coverage.

Ballard has said several times that everyone wants a legit #2 WR, so I'm guessing he's getting pressure from more than just fans. Reich has been a quick and short pass guy, playing more horizontal than anything. He's got a vertical QB now. It will be interesting what they do. I'd bet anything that Luck and TY are politicking for a WR in the first three rounds. 

I don’t see Inman as our 2.  He is a very solid 3 for us though.  We know he will catch the football.  I want the reliability he adds to our mix.   I think Funchess was brought in to be the 2 but he will have to earn it.  Also don’t sell Cain short if healthy.  

5 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

You mean except actually catch the football?   Remember all the drops before he got here?  If you count week 17 and the 2 playoff games, the Colts played 3 straight "win or go home" games.  In those games, Luck threw a total of 13 passes to Inman. He caught 12 of them.  There is no way last year's team goes from 1-5 to 10-6 if they don't sign Inman. 

He was definitely clutch, but it was because TY was sucking up all the coverage. If you think Inman is a legit #2, you're in the minority. He's solid depth. And we need solid depth. I love Inman, but it does not change our "starter" needs. 

I've posted the Colts WR stats and rankings before. Not going to repost, but in short, the Colts had arguably the worst WR rotation in the top 10 O or passing O teams. We only had one WR in the top 100, vs teams that had 2-4 WRs in the top 50. Some had multiples in the top 10 and top 20. 

8 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I don’t see Inman as our 2.  He is a very solid 3 for us though.  We know he will catch the football.  I want the reliability he adds to our mix.   I think Funchess was brought in to be the 2 but he will have to earn it.  Also don’t sell Cain short if healthy.  

Inman is solid and consistent rotational guy. He's not going to knock your socks off, but he works hard and is consistent. Not sold at all on Funchess. It will be interesting to see how he works out. I'd bet he plays out of the slot at least 25% of the time (15% of his snaps last year were slot). I love Cain's upside, but concerned now because of the injury. Not sure we can expect him to both recover and develop this year. 

• Like 1

I agree as a whole the Colts' WRs were not good last year.  But Inman made a huge difference when he came, which is very difficult for WRs to do mid-season.  I'm not saying he's a pro-bowler, but he runs precise routes, has arguably the best hands on the team, and Luck trusts him.  Maybe he is more of a 3 than a 2, but if this team doesn't re-sign him, they will regret it. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Inman is solid and consistent rotational guy. He's not going to knock your socks off, but he works hard and is consistent. Not sold at all on Funchess. It will be interesting to see how he works out. I'd bet he plays out of the slot at least 25% of the time (15% of his snaps last year were slot). I love Cain's upside, but concerned now because of the injury. Not sure we can expect him to both recover and develop this year. 

Yes...Inman’s value is his reliability.  Nothing flashy but he can catch the ball and Luck doesn’t have to worry much about drops.  His addition last year pretty much helped turn the season around for us in my opinion.  I think he helps us in the 3 role. 

I’m willing to give Ballard the benefit of the doubt on the Funchess signing.  It could pay off big given he has T.Y. on the other side and doesn’t have the pressure of being the number 1.  Funchess also brings a skill set that makes him unique among current Colts wide receivers.  He has good size and can make catches over people.  Pairing him with Luck should take him up a level.

I’m pulling for Cain but I agree with you. We know it typically takes at least 2 years to come back from an ACL.  I’m just glad he has a chance to get that first year under his belt and that he has youth on his side.  He could still develop into something but we shouldn’t expect him to be that difference maker right away.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

I agree as a whole the Colts' WRs were not good last year.  But Inman made a huge difference when he came, which is very difficult for WRs to do mid-season.  I'm not saying he's a pro-bowler, but he runs precise routes, has arguably the best hands on the team, and Luck trusts him.  Maybe he is more of a 3 than a 2, but if this team doesn't re-sign him, they will regret it. 

I absolutely want him back. On the current roster, he's 3. In a rotation with a healthy Cain, he's 4.

BUT, in a rotation we need to compete for a SB, he'd be a 4 or 5 guys (if your 3 is your starting slot). 

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yes...Inman’s value is his reliability.  Nothing flashy but he can catch the ball and Luck doesn’t have to worry much about drops.  His addition last year pretty much helped turn the season around for us in my opinion.  I think he helps us in the 3 role. 

I’m willing to give Ballard the benefit of the doubt on the Funchess signing.  It could pay off big given he has T.Y. on the other side and doesn’t have the pressure of being the number 1.  Funchess also brings a skill set that makes him unique among current Colts wide receivers.  He has good size and can make catches over people.  Pairing him with Luck should take him up a level.

I’m pulling for Cain but I agree with you. We know it typically takes at least 2 years to come back from an ACL.  I’m just glad he is getting that first year under his belt and has youth on his side.  He could still develop into something but we shouldn’t expect him to be that difference maker right away.  

I think most of Funchess's production will come in the RZ. And a little between the 20s at slot. He just doesn't get separation/cushion to be someone to keep TY out of double coverage, which is my biggest complaint.

I'm pulling for Cain too. I was so excited to get him in the later rounds. I'm just not going to have high expectations this year. Next year I'll amp it up a bit. 

IMO, overall outside of TY, WR2 and WR3/Slot are a mess or mystery right now lol.. I think Funchess will bounce between 2 and 3/slot, with Inman at 2 and Rogers at WR3/Slot. Cain will probably work behind TY at 1, and at 2. Without an addition in the draft, it just feels like a WR by committee all over again like last year. And I'd bet dollars that Funchess simply takes away production from Ebron and Doyle. 

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

That's why I'm thinking a precise route runner like Stanley Morgan Jr. In the 6th round would push some of the young guys.

Scott, you're thinking Route Runner over Separation guy? TY seems to be the only breakaway guy we have, the rest being big bodies which we know they like.  I think it is time for TY to be teaching a young TY type the ropes.  You? I know he can ALSO route run, so you may think it covers both?