Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Ajayi Visit

I believe we have a solid chance of signing Ajayi as he has connections with Reich from the Eagles. He'd also fit a specific role as a power back for us, which is a positive for us and him. As always, it'll come down to money as the deciding factor though.

• Like 2

I think the quote was "No deal signed today, but the door has been left open for a possible re-conncection down the road".

Im not too concerned about this, i personally would like to see Wilkins get a lot more looks this year, im hoping Ajayi would be just a short yardage, goal line back. Thats just my opinion though

• Like 1

Ajayi will probably not be that expensive and if that's the case I'm all for it. We have Hines to take the pass catching duties.  With that o-line, we should be able to bully and lean on teams in the run game... really force the ball down the defense's throat when possible.  Having 2 good backs keeps them both fresh and hungry.  I believe this is the type of situation where Ajayi would thrive.  

after seeing the movement on post combine big boards, i'm in the camp of drafting a RB late. 

there's going to be some interesting names left in the 6th and 7th rounds. 

i'd take Benny Snell all day long in that space. Good big bodied back who had a lot of success against some very tough run defenses.

3 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I wouldn’t expect a contract from Ballard until he is able to pass a physical first.

you can actually sign before the contract, and void based on physical. that's how we ended up with Grant (Balt signed him to a 4y 30M contract, then he failed physical, and signed a 1yr here). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

you can actually sign before the contract, and void based on physical. that's how we ended up with Grant (Balt signed him to a 4y 30M contract, then he failed physical, and signed a 1yr here). 

agreed on that

based on Rosenhaus' comments though, it looks like Ajayi most likely cannot pass a physical right now

If he is not going to be ready until just before the season kicks off, then a team would need to sign him in good faith and let him rehab and get ready for the year.

sounds like that is not exactly what we are hoping to do and that the lines of communication are open in the event he doesn't find something else out there.

if he is still talking to the Eagles, chances are that is where he ultimately ends up.

but the draft can change that and so can some training camp/preseason injuries obviously.

7 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

agreed on that

based on Rosenhaus' comments though, it looks like Ajayi most likely cannot pass a physical right now

If he is not going to be ready until just before the season kicks off, then a team would need to sign him in good faith and let him rehab and get ready for the year.

sounds like that is not exactly what we are hoping to do and that the lines of communication are open in the event he doesn't find something else out there.

if he is still talking to the Eagles, chances are that is where he ultimately ends up.

but the draft can change that and so can some training camp/preseason injuries obviously.

i didn't know he was so late in the rehab process. unless Ballard sees him as a multiyear sign, isd pass. personally i'd pass regardless. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

i didn't know he was so late in the rehab process. unless Ballard sees him as a multiyear sign, isd pass. personally i'd pass regardless. 

37 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I think the only concern is his injury history. When he's healthy it would be a no brainer but, he has had way too many injuries as a running back for his age. 

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles decided to move on from Ajai because they don't think he will return to his old self or maybe his recovery will take longer than they at first thought.  They were the favorite.  I think their evaluation caused them to move on.

He pretty much confirmed  he is not coming back on his IG story tonight.

34 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

Ajayi! Ajayi! Ajayi!  

I can't help it.  I think he'll be great in Indy.  I know he'll look awesome in the best uniform known to the NFL.  I want a mulligan on Frank Gore.  Give me some Ajayi.  Let's try it.

If your interested to see how his rehab is going he has it documented on his Instagram. Looks like he is working hard.

• Thanks 1

IDK, if the coaches think he'll fully recover, and make an impact, i'm all for it.

I'd really prefer picking up a guy in the draft if RB is really a need. 

Like I said earlier, there's some very productive guys that will be available 4 and 5th rounds. Cheaper, and injury free.

6 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

IDK, if the coaches think he'll fully recover, and make an impact, i'm all for it.

I'd really prefer picking up a guy in the draft if RB is really a need. 

Like I said earlier, there's some very productive guys that will be available 4 and 5th rounds. Cheaper, and injury free.

If we get one in the draft would we get one any better then Wilkins in the third round or later.  I am not for using one of our first three on a RB. If we are going to use a draft pick we better be confident they are better then Wilkins.Other wise it’s a wasted pick. WE already drafted a fifth rd pick last year.

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

What a Steal by the Eagles!

Howard for a 2020 6th rounder.

These teams that are in 'win now' mode seem to always take advantage of other lesser organizations. 

Howard would have been a good power compliment to Mack.

The odds just got better we will get Ajai.

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

These teams that are in 'win now' mode seem to always take advantage of other lesser organizations. 

it's a bit of head scratcher. he's entering the last year of his contract, and slumped a bit last year, but he still had almost 1000 yards and is young. not sure if he's already lost a step, or has a durability problem. might be they just figured out they don't want to pay a new contract and wanted to get anything they could now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don’t understand how they got him that cheap.  I don’t think ballard is looking for another number one back. I think he wants someone just to limit Mack’s carries to keep him fresh.

30 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

it's a bit of head scratcher. he's entering the last year of his contract, and slumped a bit last year, but he still had almost 1000 yards and is young. not sure if he's already lost a step, or has a durability problem. might be they just figured out they don't want to pay a new contract and wanted to get anything they could now.

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t understand how they got him that cheap.  I don’t think ballard is looking for another number one back. I think he wants someone just to limit Mack’s carries to keep him fresh.

Yeah, it's like some of the lower teams say "sure I'll give you a quality player for practically nothing since your trying to win" . "maybe you guys return the favor in 5 or 10 years when it's our turn". Lol

But the Bears had a good year last year....which makes this surprising.

Well, I guess we won't hear much more about this until after the draft.  With the Eagles out of the running, there's nobody else after Ajayi that bad.  Between the knee and the upcoming draft there's no point in making an unnecessary move in regards to RB.

33 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

Well, I guess we won't hear much more about this until after the draft.  With the Eagles out of the running, there's nobody else after Ajayi that bad.  Between the knee and the upcoming draft there's no point in making an unnecessary move in regards to RB.

Draft is still more then three weeks. Interest can happen at any point

I'm sure he's in no rush signing with a team since he's still recovering from an ACL injury. I don't see him participating in training camp and him being ready for preseason is up in the air at this point. But, he knows the offense so whenever he is ready to step on the field I believe he will be productive. He won't be asked to do too much which is great imo.