Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Turay working his butt off

So, being a Colts fan aside, that’s some pretty impressive hand work. I even saw a little dip and bend around the edge on that break.

If you go back on his feed, you can even see him put the ole spin move on some equipment.

He’s putting in the work to be THE guy on the edge. He looks lean, in shape, and putting in what it takes. There’s a REAL chance we can see double digit sacks from this guy in 2019. I’m so excited for our second year players 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Quick hands. That’s important for a DE. However let’s wait and see how it translates to his play. A lot more to the game than that. 

However dude looked shredded.

If he has completely healed from his shoulder surgeries IMO he is not going to disappoint.

He has a good trainer no doubt.

I don't know how much what he's doing there translates to production on the field or how much credit he should get for simply working to improve on his job, I'd kinda be expecting the players to be doing that as a bare minimum.

Suppose it's nice to get updates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

I don't know how much what he's doing there translates to production on the field or how much credit he should get for simply working to improve on his job, I'd kinda be expecting the players to be doing that as a bare minimum.

Suppose it's nice to get updates.

Is the first part of your comment serious?? If so wow...:facepalm: 

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

I am all in on Turay for next year.

If Lewis starts the year fully healthy and on the interior more (as it seemed the plan was when we drafted him), I see them both having a big year.

I have been on The Turay train since seeing him in the preseason. He has the ability to be a better version of what we seen from Mathis. If Lewis can provide an UT presence beside him, whoaaaaaaaaa lord. 

51 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Is the first part of your comment serious?? If so wow...:facepalm: 

Yeah, I don't often see a player stand completely still and move their hands really fast. 

I'm guessing there are people who can do that but still can't get past a 330lbs Offensive Lineman?

3 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Yeah, I don't often see a player stand completely still and move their hands really fast. 

I'm guessing there are people who can do that but still can't get past a 330lbs Offensive Lineman?

So you are saying players that work on technique are wasting their time?? I’m not understanding where you are going with this I guess. A WR stands still and catches balls from a jugs machine. Why, well that’s because he is practicing to get better. It all makes since to me!

15 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

So you are saying players that work on technique are wasting their time?? I’m not understanding where you are going with this I guess. A WR stands still and catches balls from a jugs machine. Why, well that’s because he is practicing to get better. It all makes since to me!

Nope. Not saying that they're wasting their time at all. Technique is massively important but nailing technique in drills doesn't automatically correlate to production on the field.

I'm saying that I hope the practice of the base components translates to production, where it matters, on the field.

To continue with your analogy, if I saw a wide receiver standing still and catching using a jugs machine I would also wonder whether the completion of that base activity would transfer to production when the padding is on, routes are being run and bodies are flying.

I am high on Turay...I am a sucker for guys with the traits that he possesses.

Aside from a few flashes...Turay didn't seem to have much of a plan when rushing the passer last year...seemed like he was just betting by on his raw ability to out-twitch or go around the OT.

Needs to get stronger as well and know...and develop better handwork and moves (which is great to see here). That's how he becomes legitimate high-level starting LDE for this team...because I believe the ability is already there...unlike anyone else on the roster. 

Injuries are a concern. Hopefully that can improve with strength and conditiioning...but sometimes big twitchy athletes tend to be more susceptible lower leg injuries (maybe cause it's not natural to be that big and move that quickly...I don't know). He was hurt during the Combine/Pro Day and he got hurt last season. Not saying it will happen more...just that it is something to watch.

So this is why I think depth and competition is going to be key for DE. Need a couple more guys at DE that have the types of traits that Turay has. I don't there is currently anyone in the DL group that can do what he does. That difference is palpable when you watch someone like Muhammad or Ward take a snap vs. Turay...and that Turay as a green rookie. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He was hurt during the Combine/Pro Day and he got hurt last season. Not saying it will happen more...just that it is something to watch.

Oh definitely, injuries are something to watch with him. The hip during the season, knee in the late summer, and a hamstring during the Combine. And of course the two shoulder surgeries from college. Had to search to see what the specifics of those leg injuries were but yeah, durability is definitely something to keep an eye on.