Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Erickson] Clayton Geathers is finalizing a deal to return to the Colts (Merge)

DaveA1102

I am fine w a pass rusher or one of the top safeties with our first or early second rounder. So I put that caveat in.

I also lean heavily toward the trench building logic that taking a lineman on either side of the ball early if preferrable if there is one there that justifies the pick.

Allllll of that being said, am I the only one that does not understand the logic being made in some cases where folks say something like "There will not be a great pass rusher there at 26" or "There will not be a great pass rusher there at 34" and yet they then talk about the potential and the benefits/accolades of Turay?  Everyone does remember that he was the 52nd pick right?

Point is that there could be a good pass rusher there at 26 or 34 easily. Just like there could be a good one there down in the 50s where we got Turay last year.

And none of this is to take anything away from Turay. He himself might end up being great as he develops and progresses.

Just identifying the flawed circular logic on the argument side for or against.

It is difficult to argue for Turay and his development while at the same time saying there is not a suitable rusher that will be available at a pick spot that was before we took Turay last year.

As long as we come out of this draft with some D-line help we should be good no matter when CB and staff identify the ROI being best.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I was gonna quote one of your first posts and say that I didn't think too many people expected a stud edge rusher to be there at #26...but apparently I was wrong.

Like you and Shasta said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Safety is our best value left at #26. And I could see WR being our best value at #34 too. Of course, Ballard's gonna have his own board, but I don't see him reaching for a need if he has a Safety rated much higher than what's left on the DL.

I am pretty excited about Turay's development with a full off season that may include influence from Robert Mathis. Between DL, WR, and S...I feel the least comfortable with our S depth. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I am pretty excited about Turay's development with a full off season that may include influence from Robert Mathis. Between DL, WR, and S...I feel the least comfortable with our S depth. 

Yeah, I mean I'd love it if one of these great edge rush/IDL prospects fell to us but I just don't think it's gonna happen. Who knows though. Wilkins is the one I think is possible but even then, people have their own opinions on whether or not he's a stud prospect.

24 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Allllll of that being said, am I the only one that does not understand the logic being made in some cases where folks say something like "There will not be a great pass rusher there at 26" or "There will not be a great pass rusher there at 34" and yet they then talk about the potential and the benefits/accolades of Turay?  Everyone does remember that he was the 52nd pick right?

That's why I always make it a point to never say it as 100% fact, because you can't guess how the board is gonna fall. I always use words like likely, I think...etc...

And in hindsight, yeah, some edge rushers possibly will be great that are picked later than #26 and #34. As of right now, I'm not too hopeful any of the "great" pass rush and DL prospects are all very likely to go in the top 20ish area, before we pick. But to your point though, there will very possibly be some DL prospects picked after our first picks that will turn out to be very solid. Tillery, Lawrence, those type of guys with potential, or many others.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I am fine w a pass rusher or one of the top safeties with our first or early second rounder. So I put that caveat in.

I also lean heavily toward the trench building logic that taking a lineman on either side of the ball early if preferrable if there is one there that justifies the pick.

Point is that there could be a good pass rusher there at 26 or 34 easily. Just like there could be a good one there down in the 50s where we got Turay last year.

And none of this is to take anything away from Turay. He himself might end up being great as he develops and progresses.

Just identifying the flawed circular logic on the argument side for or against.

It is difficult to argue for Turay and his development while at the same time saying there is not a suitable rusher that will be available at a pick spot that was before we took Turay last year.

As long as we come out of this draft with some D-line help we should be good no matter when CB and staff identify the ROI being best.

Point is why take another player just like turray when we already have him its stupid. 

Turray had flaws that's why he was a 2nd rounder. now we wanna reach for an edge rusher at 26 who more than likely will have flaws just like turray did? Instead why wouldnt we wanna look at a day 1 starter at another position.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

So you would rather reach for a need than take a stud at a different position? Terrible draft strategy. Everyone here seems to think we are getting some stud edge rusher at 26 or 34 and its not happening. all players around that range have major flaws in their games plus we still have a 2nd round pick in Turray that could also develop next year.

It doesn’t have to be “either or” All I know is that Ballard came here, one of the first things he said was he was going to build the trenches first. 

It is clear that the Colts need a better pass rush. If Ballard has the same opinion as you and thinks he has to trade up to get “some stud pass rusher”, then he just might do that.

If however, they feel they can get a starting DE and/or DT at 26 & 34, then yes, go for the need.

You have to consider Geathers’ experience as an advantage over a rookie.

I think it’s a good idea to get a safety (later). I just don’t think it’s as big of a need at pass rush or receiver.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Again who is the GOOD pass rusher you are getting at 26?? We are not picking in the top 10.

Also who is to say Turray wont be providing that pass rush next year??

Not saying guys won't develop. I do think Turray will be better, but banking on him to solve our issues is silly. Even if he does improve, that's not enough.

We didn't have a guy in the top 50 for QB hits last year. That's unquestionably horrible. Three teams have two in the top 10, and most teams have multiples easily in the top 50. Indy, none.

Sackwise, we barely have a guy in the top 20 (20th), and barely two inside the top 50 (20th and 49th). Meanwhile KC has 2 top 10, 3 top 25, 4 top 50. 

We don't have to have an "elite" guy to get a lot better. We need a couple good guys. Tillery for example is not elite, but he's a guy that absolutely can help disrupt by pressure or wingspan (batting balls). Simmon has a ton of potential and could be available late. I could list many.

I'd take DE, DT, or WR prior to S.

NFL.com BPA board only has one S in the top 32, and only 3 in the top 50. Not a great year IMO for Ss. Not really high on any of the 3. Abrams is more of down safety (I think we need more flexibility). Adderley is a bit small and pure FS. Rapp IMO is the best fit for us, and his BPA rank is 38th... 

here's stat pull of DL (sort on QB hits and sacks).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2018&year_max=2018&season_start=1&season_end=-1&*[]=de&*[]=dl&*[]=olb&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2018&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=qb&draft_pos[]=rb&draft_pos[]=wr&draft_pos[]=te&draft_pos[]=e&draft_pos[]=t&draft_pos[]=g&draft_pos[]=c&draft_pos[]=ol&draft_pos[]=dt&draft_pos[]=de&draft_pos[]=dl&draft_pos[]=ilb&draft_pos[]=olb&draft_pos[]=lb&draft_pos[]=cb&draft_pos[]=s&draft_pos[]=db&draft_pos[]=k&draft_pos[]=p&c1stat=qb_hits&c1comp=gt&c5val=1.0&order_by=qb_hits

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coltsfeva said:

It doesn’t have to be “either or” All I know is that Ballard came here, one of the first things he said was he was going to build the trenches first. 

It is clear that the Colts need a better pass rush. If Ballard has the same opinion as you and thinks he has to trade up to get “some stud pass rusher”, then he just might do that.

If however, they feel they can get a starting DE and/or DT at 26 & 34, then yes, go for the need.

You have to consider Geathers’ experience as an advantage over a rookie.

I think it’s a good idea to get a safety (later). I just don’t think it’s as big of a need at pass rush or receiver.

If we trade up that's one thing but its prolly not likely with the way Ballard values his picks especially his 2nd rounders

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

Not saying guys won't develop. I do think Turray will be better, but banking on him to solve our issues is silly. Even if he does improve, that's not enough.

We didn't have a guy in the top 50 for QB hits last year. That's unquestionably horrible. Three teams have two in the top 10, and most teams have multiples easily in the top 50. Indy, none.

Sackwise, we barely have a guy in the top 20 (20th), and barely two inside the top 50 (20th and 49th). Meanwhile KC has 2 top 10, 3 top 25, 4 top 50. 

We don't have to have an "elite" guy to get a lot better. We need a couple good guys. Tillery for example is not elite, but he's a guy that absolutely can help disrupt by pressure or wingspan (batting balls). Simmon has a ton of potential and could be available late. I could list many.

I'd take DE, DT, or WR prior to S.

NFL.com BPA board only has one S in the top 32, and only 3 in the top 50. Not a great year IMO for Ss. Not really high on any of the 3. Abrams is more of down safety (I think we need more flexibility). Adderley is a bit small and pure FS. Rapp IMO is the best fit for us, and his BPA rank is 38th... 

here's stat pull of DL (sort on QB hits and sacks).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2018&year_max=2018&season_start=1&season_end=-1&*[]=de&*[]=dl&*[]=olb&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2018&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=qb&draft_pos[]=rb&draft_pos[]=wr&draft_pos[]=te&draft_pos[]=e&draft_pos[]=t&draft_pos[]=g&draft_pos[]=c&draft_pos[]=ol&draft_pos[]=dt&draft_pos[]=de&draft_pos[]=dl&draft_pos[]=ilb&draft_pos[]=olb&draft_pos[]=lb&draft_pos[]=cb&draft_pos[]=s&draft_pos[]=db&draft_pos[]=k&draft_pos[]=p&c1stat=qb_hits&c1comp=gt&c5val=1.0&order_by=qb_hits

I think Tillery is a risk I'd love Simmons but I think we can grab him at 34 like I've said many times that's usually where injured elite players go top of round 2. And I'm not a fan of any of the DEs that will possibly be available 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...I don't agree with the idea that S isn't a need.

Turay was a 2nd round pick who schooled HOFer Jason Peters TWICE. He has a lot of upside...but nearly everyone agrees they need DE.

At the other S position, they currently have a 27 year-old injury-prone S who (I think) is maybe a bit above replacement level...and another 27 year-old S who ended up on IR last year. Yet people don't think S is a need.

I think it's safe to say they need both S and DE.

Jason Peters Twice?!?

Unless I’m having a senior moment, Peters is still on Philly.   We only played Philly once.    

How did twice happen?   

Am I misunderstanding you, or are you confusing Peters with someone else?   

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jason Peters Twice?!?

Unless I’m having a senior moment, Peters is still on Philly.   We only played Philly once.    

How did twice happen?   

Maybe twice in one game?:woah:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jason Peters Twice?!?

How did twice happen?   

twice in one game

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jason Peters Twice?!?

How did twice happen?   

Same game. Went around Peters like he wasn't there a couple of occasions. Had him false-starting to keep up. On that infamous 3rd down Agholor catch...Turay gets past Peters and to Wentz at the same time as Geathers...who had a free blitz.

And Turay had little idea what else to do in that game...that was just on pure ability. Excited to see if he can get stronger and learn some moves. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I think Tillery is a risk I'd love Simmons but I think we can grab him at 34 like I've said many times that's usually where injured elite players go top of round 2. And I'm not a fan of any of the DEs that will possibly be available 

The reality of the Colts in the next couple of seasons, is we're going to be good, and our draft position is likely to be around the same or worse. The reality of the draft, is that DEs and DTs go early. This is a pretty deep year for DEs and DTs. And, there's a reason why Ss (and ILBs) are undervalued and the least positions by far to go in the 1st (or early rounds). 

http://www.footballperspective.com/which-positions-are-the-safest-to-draft-in-the-first-round/

All that said, not sure we'll have a better shot at DTs or DEs in the coming years. It's either address in the draft, or spend big in FA. Personally I'd rather go draft. S, IMO, should have been covered in FA due to value/undervalue. 

If we don't end up with a WR with speed opposite TY, or a much improved pass rush (or combo of both), KC and NE will do the same thing to us again this year.

58 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'd love getting Jeffery Simmons at the 34th spot if Ballard thinks he can make a full recovery and behave himself. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

The reality of the Colts in the next couple of seasons, is we're going to be good, and our draft position is likely to be around the same or worse. The reality of the draft, is that DEs and DTs go early. This is a pretty deep year for DEs and DTs. And, there's a reason why Ss (and ILBs) are undervalued and the least positions by far to go in the 1st (or early rounds). 

http://www.footballperspective.com/which-positions-are-the-safest-to-draft-in-the-first-round/

All that said, not sure we'll have a better shot at DTs or DEs in the coming years. It's either address in the draft, or spend big in FA. Personally I'd rather go draft. S, IMO, should have been covered in FA due to value/undervalue. 

If we don't end up with a WR with speed opposite TY, or a much improved pass rush (or combo of both), KC and NE will do the same thing to us again this year.

I just feel we can get another player like turray later since the draft is deeper with DEs this year almost anyone available at 26 or later is gonna need a year or 2 to develop like turray is right now. I'd rather get a day one starter at another position with our first if one is there I still want Simmons at 34 and if a DE is sitting there later that has alot of potential I'd take him later. I just feel too many positions safety included will be better value in the 1st than DL. Maybe its LB or S or maybe it's a LT prospect or TE.

I'm also not a fan of being abused by TEs next year again cause of geathers lack of coverage ability 

24 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I just feel we can get another player like turray later since the draft is deeper with DEs this year almost anyone available at 26 or later is gonna need a year or 2 to develop like turray is right now. I'd rather get a day one starter at another position with our first if one is there I still want Simmons at 34 and if a DE is sitting there later that has alot of potential I'd take him later. I just feel too many positions safety included will be better value in the 1st than DL. Maybe its LB or S or maybe it's a LT prospect or TE.

I'm also not a fan of being abused by TEs next year again cause of geathers lack of coverage ability 

While I think Turray will improve, he only played 36% of snaps last year. The top guys are in the 75-90% range. Asking Turray to not only improve (technique, add tools to the toolbox), but also play more than twice the snaps, AND get better vs the run, is a big ask. 

And if he does that in two years, he'll be the exception, not the rule. Finding another guy like that (assumed improved) two years in a row after the 1st round is like lighting striking the same spot twice. 

21 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

While I think Turray will improve, he only played 36% of snaps last year. The top guys are in the 75-90% range. Asking Turray to not only improve (technique, add tools to the toolbox), but also play more than twice the snaps, AND get better vs the run, is a big ask. 

And if he does that in two years, he'll be the exception, not the rule. Finding another guy like that (assumed improved) two years in a row after the 1st round is like lighting striking the same spot twice. 

I'm just saying that the DEs at 26 will have flaws just like turray so why reach for one then?

36 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We played better against KC in the second half.
 Any clue how many points they scored Abbott?
  Second half adjustments. :thinking:
 Who replaced ILB Walker in a number of pass situations in the second half?
 Now why would the guy you are hating on go into the game in passing situations?
 I suggest his position coaches want him, Eberflus wants him, the scouts and draft personnel produced info that suggest we want him, so BALLARD wants him.

And you keep commenting on this. 
  All you need is a longer handled shovel kid.
   You keep lobbing them up, expect a few to get whacked.

BTW our rookie linebackers were the biggest reason KC chewed us up in the ist half. We contained Mahomes in the pocket, they ran all over us, and they smoked Adams and N. Good in pass coverage. Odum was a problem too.
 What we need far worse than a safety that probably will have coverage issues OR takling-run stuffing issues, is toughness and rush skills up the middle.
 And absolutely another Turay like rush DE. They ALL have things to learn. Even the top 2 selected in this years draft. If you are not playing on a d-line that has 3-4 guys that can get after it, one or two can be schemed for.
 Read, Listen, LEARN because this stuff is basic.
  I will try to pass your more amusing posts whenever possible.
And i have no doubt you love football and OUR Colts.  Good luck.   

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

1 year deal? Ballard is still drafting a safety I think. Geathers can’t be relied on with his neck and even when he’s on the field, he’s basically just a dime LB who racks up tackles. 

Nah look at post above lmao they LOVE him haha

In all seriousness tho you are 100% correct!

7 hours ago, rayski said:

Well he is rarely available to be on the field in the first place. Started what, about 20 games in the past 3 seasons?

I wish he would be a swiss army knife but it's definitely not rocket science to figure out what he does on the field since he can't cover. He is a good tackler, but highly doubt he'd make any qb scratch his head to be honest. 

Not a hater, love what he does, but we need to get better at safety so we can unlock Hooker's potential. 

It's great that you don't think a QB would be confused about what Geathers would do,  but the GM and DC believe it's true....

Until proven otherwise,  I'm in their camp....

Again,  I'm expecting the Colts to take another Safety with a Day 2 pick.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We played better against KC in the second half.
 Any clue how many points they scored Abbott?
  Second half adjustments. :thinking:
 Who replaced ILB Walker in a number of pass situations in the second half?
 Now why would the guy you are hating on go into the game in passing situations?
 I suggest his position coaches want him, Eberflus wants him, the scouts and draft personnel produced info that suggest we want him, so BALLARD wants him.

And you keep commenting on this. 
  All you need is a longer handled shovel kid.
   You keep lobbing them up, expect a few to get whacked.

BTW our rookie linebackers were the biggest reason KC chewed us up in the ist half. We contained Mahomes in the pocket, they ran all over us, and they smoked Adams and N. Good in pass coverage. Odum was a problem too.
 What we need far worse than a safety that probably will have coverage issues OR takling-run stuffing issues, is toughness and rush skills up the middle.
 And absolutely another Turay like rush DE. They ALL have things to learn. Even the top 2 selected in this years draft. If you are not playing on a d-line that has 3-4 guys that can get after it, one or two can be schemed for.
 Read, Listen, LEARN because this stuff is basic.
  I will try to pass your more amusing posts whenever possible.
And i have no doubt you love football and OUR Colts.  Good luck.   

Even the very well respected superman has said geathers is weak in coverage lol but I guess I'm just making stuff up lmao whatever 

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm just saying that the DEs at 26 will have flaws just like turray so why reach for one then?

it's not like you're reaching far at 26 if at all. there are 5-6 Edge and 7-8 DLs graded out as 1st round guys. That's 12-14 guys. One or more of them are likely to be there at 26. If they are available, you take them IMO. 

After that you have a couple of each graded as 2nd rounders. After that, it's a huge drop off. 

The S class is very underwhelming IMO. Even the top 3-4 guys to me are meh. Highest rated on CBS is 30th, and NFL.,com is 27th. 

So really, you're not reaching much, or at all. 

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

it's not like you're reaching far at 26 if at all. there are 5-6 Edge and 7-8 DLs graded out as 1st round guys. That's 12-14 guys. One or more of them are likely to be there at 26. If they are available, you take them IMO. 

After that you have a couple of each graded as 2nd rounders. After that, it's a huge drop off. 

The S class is very underwhelming IMO. Even the top 3-4 guys to me are meh. Highest rated on CBS is 30th, and NFL.,com is 27th. 

So really, you're not reaching much, or at all. 

You keep bringing up DTs I'm talking just EDGE players but that's because I think we draft Simmons at 34 so I see no reason to take back to back DTs. So o see the 5 to 6 DEs being gone and 8f one falls its gonna be a polite who I'm not a fan of cause hes small and gets abused in the run game 

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's great that you don't think a QB would be confused about what Geathers would do,  but the GM and DC believe it's true....

I’m with you on this NCF. When Geathers came in, there was talk of the next Bob Sanders for a reason. Didn’t pan out that way but a lot of people saw him as a difference maker.

Ballard, Reich and Eberflus know a lot more than any of us.

The only reason they’re looking for a safety is Geathers health issues.

Improve the pass rush and give him this year,to work on his pass defense. 

We may look back on this and say; “glad we signed Geathers!”

• Like 1

Just an observation about how we, especially the media, choose to look at things, especially Ballard.  

"Ballard lets his players test the market then brings them back"  Wonderful.

Rather than.

"Other teams reject Colts players, and we still have holes to fill, so we sign them for more money than other teams would."  Not so wonderful. 

Just now, coltsfeva said:

I’m with you on this NCF. When Geathers came in, there was talk of the next Bob Sanders for a reason.

Ballard, Reich and Eberflus know a lot more than any of us.

The only reason they’re looking for a safety is Geathers health issues.

Improve the pass rush and give him this year,to work on his pass defense. 

We may look back on this and say; “glad we signed Geathers!”

Full disclosure....    I defended Grigson longer than most here.    I defended him until their was no more reason to do so.    He earned my trust with his handling of the first year,  and lost it by the end of year 4,  when it looked like Irsay was going to fire Pagano.    I said,  fine,  fire Pagano,  but fire Grigson too,  because he's the guy that didn't give Pagano talent.

And then, Irsay re-upped them both.

I've been impressed with Ballard since he arrived.   As someone who has followed the NFL for more than 50 years and covered it professionally for 30 years,  Ballard just oozes professionalism.  I think he's a terrific person and GM.     Do I think he's done every single thing right?    No.   But nobody in any sport does that.    When you make decisions in personnel,  you're going to make mistakes.

But the key is to make few of them, and have them be small ones.    Ballard has done that.

If bringing Geathers is a mistake,  then on a 1-year deal,  it's a small one.   If signing Funchess is a mistake,  then on a one year deal,  it's a small one.    They're off the books in a year if we want.

Ballard has my complete support,  not because I'm some FanBoy who values my opinion more than his decisions,  but because the man has earned my trust and respect in his two+ years with the Colts.....

Sorry this got so lengthy....    

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm very much aware how much CB loves Geathers and finds him an important part of our locker room. I yet to see an interview where anyone would say he helps disguising the defense. 

Not trying to be a smart butt but just never seen any valuation like that. Happy to take a look any time. 

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You keep bringing up DTs I'm talking just EDGE players but that's because I think we draft Simmons at 34 so I see no reason to take back to back DTs. So o see the 5 to 6 DEs being gone and 8f one falls its gonna be a polite who I'm not a fan of cause hes small and gets abused in the run game 

Using CBS ratings. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/wide-receivers/edge

If any of the top 6 Edge are there at 26, it's a no brainer to me. Including Polite. I'm more than fine with a passing down specialist for a year or two, until he becomes more well rounded. Out of college, his ceiling is higher than Turray's as a rusher, and he could easily be 30+% snap count guy day one. Turray was not the best vs the run either last year. And let's not forget Turray's injury history. 

If those 6 Edge aren't available, I go to DT. If one of the top 7-8 are there, I'd take them. Depending on who is there, might even take them before one of the 7-8 DEs. Even if I do get a DE at 26, I'm still looking for a DT at 34 if one of top 7-8 DTs are still there.

In short, as long as I'm not reaching more than 4-5 slots down (BPA) to fill those two needs, that's where I'm going. The delta, for instance, between a S ranked 27th (BPA) and a DE or DT ranked 31st, is next to nothing. If WR was not so deep, and so undervalued in this draft (due to runs on other positions), I'd take a WR BPA over a S as well. 

And like I said, improving the DL also directly impacts/improves the DB production. It's almost like a two for one. Give me a 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just an observation about how we, especially the media, choose to look at things, especially Ballard.  

"Ballard lets his players test the market then brings them back"  Wonderful.

Rather than.

"Other teams reject Colts players, and we still have holes to fill."  Not so wonderful. 

Careful, Doug.....

Your true colors are showing......     :peek: