Jump to content
Click here to get your free tickets for Colts Training Camp today!
Sign in to follow this  
Scott Pennock

Scott's Mock Draft

Recommended Posts

This is my first and last attempt at a Mock based off of free agency, perceived team needs and trades that have taken place.

 

If for some reason Brissett is traded, I reserve the right to add that pick (or pick) in as well.

 

1 - Christian Wilkins - DT - Clemson

2 - Jaylen Ferguson - DE - LA Tech

2 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - S - Florida

3 - Justin Layne - CB - Michigan State

4 - L.J. Collier - DE/DT - TCU

4 - Bobby Evans - OT - Oklahoma

5 - Blake Cashman - LB - Minnesota

6 - Stanley Morgan - WR - Nebraska

7 - Ryquell Armstead - RB - Temple

 

This may not be accurate but it addresses more pass rush up the middle and off the edge. Plus a rotational defensive lineman who can line up on the end in short yardage and UT in passing situations.

 

A versatile Safety that can play Geathers role in a high 2 and then drop down in nickel and dime situations. A lenghty corner to throw into the mix with Wilson, Desir and Collins on the outside.

 

A depth piece for the linebacking corps that could add to the special teams mix too.

 

A talented LT that needs a year of refining technique and a pro strength and conditioning program to potentially take over for Castonzo.

 

A reliable Z receiver that can be used in the Reggie Wayne mold to move the chains and use his route running skills for bigger gains and TD's when everyones keyed in on T.Y. and Ebron.

 

And the running back is a true power back AND has the added ability to play fullback as well, if needed.

 

These additions seem to fill in the gaps from the last two drafts and adds significantly to the core of the team!

 

Go ahead and critique it, agree with it or offer different players in different rounds that fill out the roster, and why you think it would be better! :)

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you have three DTs here. Not really a fan of Ferguson or Collier (especially as edge players)...but 4th round isn't bad for a DE/DT type. 

 

I would rather pass on Ferguson and make that first 2nd round pick a legit WR to pair with Morgan late.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it, actually a lot  

 

I do think that we will probably grab a WR sometime early

 

At the Justin Layne pick (3rd) I would take Isabella. 

 

I think at the end of round 4 is a good place for Collier, after watching game tape, I dont see him going earlier

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

This is my first and last attempt at a Mock based off of free agency, perceived team needs and trades that have taken place.

 

If for some reason Brissett is traded, I reserve the right to add that pick (or pick) in as well.

 

1 - Christian Wilkins - DT - Clemson

2 - Jaylen Ferguson - DE - LA Tech

2 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - S - Florida

3 - Justin Layne - CB - Michigan State

4 - L.J. Collier - DE/DT - TCU

4 - Bobby Evans - OT - Oklahoma

5 - Blake Cashman - LB - Minnesota

6 - Stanley Morgan - WR - Nebraska

7 - Ryquell Armstead - RB - Temple

 

This may not be accurate but it addresses more pass rush up the middle and off the edge. Plus a rotational defensive lineman who can line up on the end in short yardage and UT in passing situations.

 

A versatile Safety that can play Geathers role in a high 2 and then drop down in nickel and dime situations. A lenghty corner to throw into the mix with Wilson, Desir and Collins on the outside.

 

A depth piece for the linebacking corps that could add to the special teams mix too.

 

A talented LT that needs a year of refining technique and a pro strength and conditioning program to potentially take over for Castonzo.

 

A reliable Z receiver that can be used in the Reggie Wayne mold to move the chains and use his route running skills for bigger gains and TD's when everyones keyed in on T.Y. and Ebron.

 

And the running back is a true power back AND has the added ability to play fullback as well, if needed.

 

These additions seem to fill in the gaps from the last two drafts and adds significantly to the core of the team!

 

Go ahead and critique it, agree with it or offer different players in different rounds that fill out the roster, and why you think it would be better! :)

 

 

Mom not reading anything that says Cokluer will last to Day 3.

 

He appears to be a solid Day 2 kid,  and from what I read, more likely R2 than R3.    That’s what I’ve been reading...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think you have three DTs here. Not really a fan of Ferguson or Collier (especially as edge players)...but 4th round isn't bad for a DE/DT type. 

 

I would rather pass on Ferguson and make that first 2nd round pick a legit WR to pair with Morgan late.

Parris Campbell from Ohio State or somone of that ilk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think you have three DTs here. Not really a fan of Ferguson or Collier (especially as edge players)...but 4th round isn't bad for a DE/DT type. 

 

I would rather pass on Ferguson and make that first 2nd round pick a legit WR to pair with Morgan late.

Ferguson isnt a DT

 

He is a strong kid that has some good speed but not as flexible as you would like

(Thats why he isnt going in round one)

 

He has very good hand strength and with some coaching I DO think that he can be an excellent Pass rush

 

Not a 20 sack guy, but 10-12 is possible, which is great for a 2nd round pick

 

Wilkins will (MAY) be long gone by our pick, I fear

Do I hear a TILLARY?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Parris Campbell from Ohio State or somone of that ilk?

 

I really like Parris Campbell...dynamic playmaker. 

 

But I also like Deebo, AJ Brown and Butler. Butler is a bit different than those two though. Could be a legit WR1, but is a bit raw comparatively speaking. 

 

I think Deebo/AJ Brown and Morgan could be a very versatile pairing...as both can run routes, play slot and move outside. 

 

It's hard to choose. Something about this class just makes me want two of them. Ideally, one that can play outside and one that can play slot. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take AJ Brown or Paris Campbell at Pick 34.  I think Justin Layne goes in the 2nd.  We might be able to take him at Pick 59 and draft a Safety like Amani Hooker at Pick 89.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Mom not reading anything that says Cokluer will last to Day 3.

 

He appears to be a solid Day 2 kid,  and from what I read, more likely R2 than R3.    That’s what I’ve been reading...

 

Why doesnt your MOM read things????

 

And.... WHO is this Cokluer guy :)

 

Go check some game tape on Collier........ his position should be JOGGER

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MikeCurtis said:

Ferguson isnt a DT

 

He is a strong kid that has some good speed but not as flexible as you would like

(Thats why he isnt going in round one)

 

He has very good hand strength and with some coaching I DO think that he can be an excellent Pass rush (Not a 20 sack guy, but 10-12 is possible)

 

He's not a DT right now. I just think that is where he would have to play to be successful in this scheme...like a half dozen other guys.

 

It's just a personal preference...but I don't like him as an edge player. Not a great athlete and not very flexible.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Why doesnt your MOM read things????

 

And.... WHO is this Cokluer guy :)

 

Go check some game tape on Collier........ his position should be JOGGER

 

Ugh!    I have the WORST auto-correct on my phone!!    Embarrassing!

 

Sorry.... 

 

Im not looking for Collier.   Only sharing what I’ve read from people I trust...   

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gardner-Johnson is the guy I want to add to the back end. I am not sure we get him at the end of the 2nd. I’m taking him with the Jets pick. I think he could go at the end of the first.  We shall see. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ugh!    I have the WORST auto-correct on my phone!!    Embarrassing!

 

Sorry.... 

 

Im not looking for Collier.   Only sharing what I’ve read from people I trust...   

 

Cmon NCF... lay off the sauce while you’re posting!! :funny:

 

jk

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Gardner-Johnson is the guy I want to add to the back end. I am not sure we get him at the end of the 2nd. I’m taking him with the Jets pick. I think he could go at the end of the first.  We shall see. 

He is EXACTLY what we need...... I wish we had ONE more pick in the 2nd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

He is EXACTLY what we need...... I wish we had ONE more pick in the 2nd

It could happen Ballard trades out of the first. I could see him dropping down if the opportunity is there. I would in a second get another 2nd plus a 3rd  There’s a lot of value in this years day 2 guys 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 1:54 PM, Scott Pennock said:

 

1 - Christian Wilkins - DT - Clemson

2 - Jaylen Ferguson - DE - LA Tech

2 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - S - Florida

3 - Justin Layne - CB - Michigan State

4 - L.J. Collier - DE/DT - TCU

4 - Bobby Evans - OT - Oklahoma

5 - Blake Cashman - LB - Minnesota

6 - Stanley Morgan - WR - Nebraska

7 - Ryquell Armstead - RB - Temple

I really like where you added to the roster. We seem to be seeing the same things. I agree no WR early but the LB and RB rooms need competition at some point. I also think we look at OT and a TE with the FA’s we have coming up. in those groups. The DL will get a lot of attention. 

 

I love Gardner-Johnson selection. He is one of my favorite guys in this draft. I think if he gets out of R1. We gotta take him with the Jets pick.  I can’t see him lasting to the later part of the round. 

 

I don’t think we take a corner that early.  Ballard has talked about not needing to use early picks there. We resigned Desir. Moore had a breakout year Q stepped it up then add Collins in the mix. I feel like that’s a day 3 move unless a CB is clearly BPA. 

 

I’m big on adding DL but I like Tillery’s ability to get after the QB  lot. Joe Jackson is the guy I like on the Edge. If he goes as late as many forecast I think he could be the steal of the draft. 

 

The wild card on the DL is Simmons. Do we take a guy many considered a top 10 pick knowing he won’t be ready week 1 and realistically could miss most of his rookie season? Ballard talks big picture and the long haul. When would he be comfortable making that move?

 

We could go in many directions when it comes to WR. I struggled with the idea of taking two or going early for a top dog. I think you got it right we add a guy in the middle rounds 

 

Again we all have our guys and at WR mine is Mecole Hardman UGA. I love this kids toughness and the explosiveness he’d bring to the field. The biggest thing for me is his ability as a return man. I’ve been calling for a legit threat returning kicks for what seems like forever. Hardman is that threat. He draws comparisons to Lockett and T Hill. I get the feeling that Ballard has an eye on McLuire. 

 

The only position group I thought we would add to that you missed was TE. Doyle and Ebron are both going to be free agents and this class is loaded at TE. That makes me think we look that way 

 

I think you hit the roster where it needs to be hit and where I expect Ballard to hit it as well. I don’t dislike any of the guys you picked but there are a few guys I’d rather have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • This is Doug Farrar from Football Wire's list.   https://www.colts.com/news/seven-colts-make-touchdown-wire-s-top-100-players-list   The players are Kelly (91), Moore II (74), Leonard (59), Hooker (55), Hilton (52), Luck (47), Nelson (43).   Was kind of surprised to see Moore II on the list and also surprised how low Leonard, Luck and Nelson were (and Kelly, but he claims injuries have as much to do w/ that as anything).   I like his write up on Hooker the best... in part: ""In just his second NFL season, Hooker became the recipient of the ultimate gesture of respect given a defensive back — an extreme lack of targets in relation to his snap totals. He was on the field for 977 snaps and saw just nine targets all season. He gave up four catches for 51 yards, 25 yards after the catch, one touchdown, two interceptions, two pass breakups and an opponent passer rating of 60.2."   I have seen a lot of folks suggesting Hooker had an off year... I think a lot of that is because his INT numbers weren't high -- but 9 targets out of almost 1,000 snaps is ridiculous.  
    • Did anyone see "A football Life" on  Namath?  As a fan I went through that era. An as a Colts fan, while it was going on I despised the man. His statistics, (if you are a stats guy)  might not see him as a "GOAT" contender but, It reminded me of how much that man changed the culture of that era. His life had a lot of ups and downs, but, historically he was a major player in the evolution of the NFL. Sometimes it's not just about looking back on statistics but, seeing "  What did this individual do to change the league. Sometimes I think that is also  relevant . Any thoughts on this? Is their other Players, if you look back in history that you can think of also made an impact?
    • Turay was battling nagging injuries a lot of last season, which I think is the main reason his playing time got reduced (coupled with Tyquan Lewis coming off the injured list).   I think everyone knew after Turay was drafted that he needed to get a bit stronger and become a more refined football player rather than just a raw athlete...it seems like he's working his butt off this off season to not only get stronger but to get more polished with Mathis as his mentor.     I think he did hit a bit of a wall, some of which was caused by nagging injuries.  Also, don't forget, he only played very sparingly in his second to last year at Rutgers after a more serious injury to his shoulder which required 2 surgeries.     He only played 2 years of HS football, red-shirted as a freshman.  Ballard said right after we drafted him that the kid had very good physical traits but was still quite raw and needed to get stronger.   I think, aside from him having some nagging injuries and the return of T. Lewis), there was a plan to use Turay's rookie year as somewhat of a developmental year which he was building strength and learning technique.
    • We are finally building a team around Andrew, that he  should have had, years ago. We were impatient, and thought that we could just start where we left off with Peyton. 
    • "Stuff Happens" (Stuff wasn't the word I really meant,  LOL" Can I say the S**t word? 
  • Members

    • midmoColtsfan

      midmoColtsfan 4

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Superman

      Superman 34,318

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • aaron11

      aaron11 2,025

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • atapcl

      atapcl 227

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Kyle

      Kyle 897

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ProblChld32

      ProblChld32 595

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CurBeatElite

      CurBeatElite 233

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheBlueAndWhite

      TheBlueAndWhite 90

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BeanDiasucci

      BeanDiasucci 54

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nate!

      Nate! 45

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...