Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts draft Montez Sweat at 26?

I don't think he'll drop very far. His heart condition sounds like something that his doctors aren't concerned with. It doesn't seem like a Maurice Hurst situation.

I'm not sure he fits the Colts. He has length and explosiveness, but he's high-waisted, I'm not sure he can hold up on the edge at DE, he seems like a better fit for a 3-4 as a rush backer. So if he did drop to #26, I don't know if I'd draft him. I want to get back and watch him more carefully because his combine performance kind of demands it, but my initial impression is that he's not the right fit for our defense.

• Like 3

From what I've read, the issue is not deemed serious and teams don't seem to be too worried about it. He was given the green light to participate in all drills, which is not something that has happened in previous cases of such conditions being found out during the combine. It was a known issue before the combine and he had been cleared to play with it and was cleared to do the tests at the combine by doctors. 

If I understand the situation well, it won't affect his draft status significantly at all.. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Iron Colt said:

He was diagnosed with a heart condition and will likely cause him to drop significantly 

At this point, I haven’t read anything that says Sweat is expected to drop SIGNIFICANTLY.    I suppose he might, but I wouldn’t expect that.

The doctors for the Colts will have an important say on what we do.   And so will Mr. Irsay.  

But my my vote would be Hell, Yes!   If we got lucky enough for him to fall, I’d be happy to draft him. 

Unpopular opinion probably but I'm not too high on Sweat. Or at least it was an unpopular opinion around the time of the combine. If he was there at #26 though...

Also, what others have said, it doesn't sound like his condition will cause him to drop too much, at least not like Hurst did. I think he still goes round 1.

I like the speed...but I want a DE who has speed and flexibility. I just don't like guys that can't bend around the edge. Didn't like Basham as an edge player...and don't like Lewis as an edge player either.

Maybe I am spoiled from Freeney and Mathis...but it seems like when you find a template...you stick to it. Not easy to find those players...but they do exist. 

• Like 1

I think a couple RD1 or RD2 DT might help the edge guys we got.  Next years FA, add that specific Edge guy... So I would prefer... 1 or 2 if available of the following; Watkins, Lawrence, Simmons, Tillery, Jones, Saunders, Willis, Omenihu, Jackson at 26/34/59 with Safety or Cornerback being the other selection unless someone falls.  I imagine if he (Sweat) is there and Ballard did his homework it would be the right call.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think he'll drop very far. His heart condition sounds like something that his doctors aren't concerned with. It doesn't seem like a Maurice Hurst situation.

I'm not sure he fits the Colts. He has length and explosiveness, but he's high-waisted, I'm not sure he can hold up on the edge at DE, he seems like a better fit for a 3-4 as a rush backer. So if he did drop to #26, I don't know if I'd draft him. I want to get back and watch him more carefully because his combine performance kind of demands it, but my initial impression is that he's not the right fit for our defense.

This interesting.

I see him as a strong side Defensive End.  I don't think he has the awareness in space to play off and he doesn't have natural bend nor step to compete with Left Tackles. 

He's got a high ceiling as a strong side guy but I'm not sure I'd spend a first on a guy I'm probably not putting on the weak side. I'm a * poor evaluator of edge rushers though (my hit rate has to be below 40% lol) so who knows. 

33 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

This interesting.

I see him as a strong side Defensive End.  I don't think he has the awareness in space to play off and he doesn't have natural bend nor step to compete with Left Tackles. 

He's got a high ceiling as a strong side guy but I'm not sure I'd spend a first on a guy I'm probably not putting on the weak side. I'm a * poor evaluator of edge rushers though (my hit rate has to be below 40% lol) so who knows. 

Edge rushers have a low hit rate to begin with. You aren't alone.

I don't know that he has great bend, either, but I don't see him as a strong side DE in a 4-3. I don't see him holding up against tackles in the run game. And like you said, he doesn't have the awareness in space to play Sam in a 3-4. He's an interesting evaluation.

Like you, I'm not thrilled with the idea of drafting an edge who doesn't project as a primary rusher, not in the first. Although, we're toward the end of the first, so the value is different.