Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Future Salary Cap Use

w87r

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Something just occurred to me while reading your post.

I remember when the Colts signed Trent Cole. Ryan Grigson was super excited about it, and he told a story about how Cole was in the building, but was walking out of Mike Bluem's office shrugging and shaking his head. Apparently, Cole and his agent were looking for a bigger contract than the Colts were prepared to offer. Grigson pulled him back into Bluem's office and by the end of the day, they worked out their difference. Grigson said something like 'when you have 'The Hunter' in your building, you don't let him leave,' implying that they increased their offer because he was that important to them.

That story paints a picture of a very disciplined and maybe even rigid contract negotiator / cap manager in Mike Bluem.

Pair him up with Chris Ballard, the man who says stuff like 'we have a value on every player, and we're not going to overpay,' or 'we're comfortable walking away and going to the next plan,' or 'we want to have these guys back, but if they get more from another team we're happy for them...' And now you have the two guys who are responsible for the cap and contract structure speaking the same language, with the same strict approach to negotiations, willing to walk when the number gets too high.

I'm not offering a judgment about this approach, or the previous approach. But it struck me just now that Bluem and Ballard are probably on exactly the same page when it comes to negotiations and structure, and that helps me to better understand how the Colts are able to sit on the sidelines and wait, even if that means they don't get a guy that they all really like in free agency.

Now that's insight!

On 3/22/2019 at 10:22 AM, Chloe6124 said:

I think with wDoyle and Funchess Ebrons numbers will go down. But that doesn’t mean he is less important to the team. Luck will just have more targets.

Touchdown wise I'm sure they'll go down but I feel like his targets and yards will be similar, you still utilize a TE of his set, regardless of the other players you bring in.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:37 PM, DougDew said:

Agreed.  Just because Doyle, Ebron, and Funchess are all bigger and slower than an average (wide) receiver doesn't mean they will be stepping on each others roles.  By default, Ebron will probably get less targets than he did last year because Funchess should out perform Grant and Doyle should outperform who ever played in his spot.  Luck will simply have more receivers open and have more choices.  But that's not the same thing as all three being the same player so only one will be resigned.

I expect him to go up in Rec & receiving yards as HOPEFULLY Ebron just catching the ball better will help a lot. I've noticed many of his dropped passes are across the middle, a pass Luck has gotten better at each year. It's going to be fun to watch next season!