Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would (Could) the Colts consider a trade in round 1?

MikeCurtis

On 3/17/2019 at 8:29 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I absolutely agree

But the thread has NOTHING to do with a Chubb vs Nelson discussion

I will take a possible HOF player (long way to go, for that) vs a probowl DE

10 times out of 10 times..... but.......thats 100% hindsight

But....... if the report last year is true........ CB at least considered the trade up scenario for a DE in the draft

Maybe he will consider it again

It was a strong OL draft last year.  I'm sure that weighed in, but I too don't see Ballard moving out of #3 if Chubb was the target, many weren't sure he'd make it to #3.  Perhaps it was too much for Ballard to resist.   Wonder what it would have required to move from #6 to #5?

On 3/17/2019 at 8:09 AM, MikeCurtis said:

The difference?

2 EXTREMELY VALUABLE second round picks from the Jets

If the call to Denver didnt happen......

and the response was VERY specific, which if you notice, CB didnt deny, 

This is a trade option..... probably not going to happen

CB has stopped calling me for advice

But this OLD Texan would be cheering it!

Who knows, maybe they feared Nelson would go 5th if they didn't move up.  None of us will ever know unless he comes out and tells us.  As good as Chubb clearly is, I am still glad they took Nelson, he's changed our entire line and thus our entire offense.  I think that outweighs a good pass rusher because Nelson will likely be the vocal leader of our line, and perhaps a future Captain for a generation.  Either guy would have been great, but Nelson was the better choice for THIS team at THAT time.  Otherwise we'd have had to play our RT at Guard and who knows at RT.  Our line wouldn't have dominated and we'd have lost a generational ALL PRO.  No thanks. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 4:20 AM, Irish YJ said:

Luck isn't going to get younger, so I have think Ballard sees the next three years as prime opportunity to make a run. 

I hate this argument. Luck is 29. He's only just getting into his prime. Provided he's protected (which Ballard is doing), he's got AT LEAST 7-8 SOLID years in him.
People forget how GOOD he was in college and how POOR this team was before his injury, yet he still led us to 3, 11 win seasons.

This ^^
Obviously Ballard wont have Matt Miller (or myself) on speed dial, but its not the first time I've heard or read it. Unless someone really slides, I really hope Ballard trades back. 
EVERY mock I've done, I find myself reaching so much for guys like Oruwariye, Hooker, Jelks because I feel they are much better value. The more of them we can get, the better.
And Ballard sure does 'love them picks'

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

What does that mean though. Valuing picks could mean you like them so you can create leverage and maybe move up to get that desired player. Valuing might not mean you always want a player with that pick. Having a lot of picks gives you a ton of options.

I kind of agree If you can trade up this year to get that DE you do it. It’s not like we are going to get a very high pick in the future if we continue to get better. This would be the year to do it.

Chris Ballard basically like accumulating picks. The more he has the better. I doubt we move because we can find 3 premium players with the picks we have instead of grabbing just one. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 7:49 AM, jskinnz said:

My two cents.

A trade up in round 1 to get a desired player will be too cost prohibitive to make.

A trade back is more likely.  I think at # 26, the Colts are in a spot where teams who want the 5th year option on player (QB in most cases) make a move to get back into the first round.  I could easily see them adding more picks this year and next.  

Agree. I have a feeling the Colts will end up with 11 or 12 picks in this upcoming draft when all is said & done.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

I hate this argument. Luck is 29. He's only just getting into his prime. Provided he's protected (which Ballard is doing), he's got AT LEAST 7-8 SOLID years in him.
People forget how GOOD he was in college and how POOR this team was before his injury, yet he still led us to 3, 11 win seasons.

If Luck stays healthy, I'd agree he's got several years left in the tank. 

Health however has not been kind to him in the last 4 years. Missed 9 games in 2015, 1 in 2016, and the whole 2017 season.

To me, it's Luck's age and health, but more about team financials and the overall timing. We have great financials now, and will have for the next couple of years. We'll have decent cap space until we start to pay some of the studs that Ballard has drafted. Fortunately or unfortunately (depends how you look at it), pre-Ballard drafts were not great so we have some cushion on contracts. 

Still though, we have 31 contracts that expire in 2020, and 22 in 2021. In 2022 we have Luck's contract as well as many of the studs from the 2018 draft. At least Q is not until 23. 

In short, Luck is in his prime, he's healthy (and hungry), we have both much improved OLs and Defense, a decent RB, etc...

AND we have a lot of short term financial flexibility in the next couple years. My point is simply that the stars have aligned very very well for us. We should take advantage of the timing because there's simply no guarantees our situation will be as good after the next couple years.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2019 at 9:11 AM, Mr. Irrelevant said:

:)

Here is the link with with Colts selected:

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Ind

This chart is basically just for entertainment purposes. In order to move up to the 5th pick we would have to give up our entire draft. 1st, 2 #2 picks, 3ed, 2 4th rounders, etc.. Who would do that??

I wanted Nelson at 3, why would I entertain the idea we would use draft picks to miss him?

I think Burns would be a great addition to an established defense, but not enough junk in the trunk imo for this D at this time. So to quote The Simpsons....Booourns. 

Oh yes, I almost forgot.....Elway sucks. 

8 hours ago, ColtJax said:

This chart is basically just for entertainment purposes. In order to move up to the 5th pick we would have to give up our entire draft. 1st, 2 #2 picks, 3ed, 2 4th rounders, etc.. Who would do that??

The saints offered that for Ricky Williams

I don't see Ballard trading up. He values his picks way to much to trade them. If he trades a pick at all, I think it will be to move down the board to obtain more picks. BUT I rather see the colts take someone like Deandre Baker Corner from UGA or Byron Murphy CB from Washington. and then go get Zack Allen DE from BC or Jaylon Ferguson DE from LA-Tech early in the second round although I am pretty happy with the defensive line. I  mean heck, they held almost every RB that they faced this last year to under 100 yards. But still wouldn't hurt to get a DE in the draft. 

On 3/19/2019 at 3:47 AM, RNGDShobby said:

This ^^
Obviously Ballard wont have Matt Miller (or myself) on speed dial, but its not the first time I've heard or read it. Unless someone really slides, I really hope Ballard trades back. 
EVERY mock I've done, I find myself reaching so much for guys like Oruwariye, Hooker, Jelks because I feel they are much better value. The more of them we can get, the better.
And Ballard sure does 'love them picks'

19 players with Round 1 grades and shrinking?  That's surprising to me especially with all of this talk about how great this class is for DL talent.  If we stay at 26 Ballard is going to want Round 1 talent if it falls and it might not fall.    I don't see him reaching at all for an ER or any position if he can help it and there is no guarantee a trade back option will be there.   I wonder if he would be tempted to try and trade for Clark or Jarett using our 1st and attempt to get value with that pick instead of taking a lower graded player in the 1st Rd.  He has the cap space for either player and they would solve our biggest need.  I am just thinking about all of the possibilities on how to use that pick to secure talent.  Keeping an open mind I guess is all I'm saying.   

On 3/19/2019 at 3:47 AM, RNGDShobby said:

he will be 30 week one next year, i dont think 7-8 more years are a given at all.  not every QB plays until 40 or so, that isnt the norm,  there are a few guys that have done it

i would not be shocked at all if luck retires early, i think its time to start going for it

5 hours ago, Deadpool said:

I don't see Ballard trading up. He values his picks way to much to trade them. If he trades a pick at all, I think it will be to move down the board to obtain more picks. BUT I rather see the colts take someone like Deandre Baker Corner from UGA or Byron Murphy CB from Washington. and then go get Zack Allen DE from BC or Jaylon Ferguson DE from LA-Tech early in the second round although I am pretty happy with the defensive line. I  mean heck, they held almost every RB that they faced this last year to under 100 yards. But still wouldn't hurt to get a DE in the draft. 

CB????  No thanks that’s worse than taking a WR in the first 

9 hours ago, aaron11 said:

he will be 30 week one next year, i dont think 7-8 more years are a given at all.  not every QB plays until 40 or so, that isnt the norm,  there are a few guys that have done it

i would not be shocked at all if luck retires early, i think its time to start going for it

Why would you think the Colts are not going for it?

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And it didn’t work out.

An observation on my part, not a sponsorship on the Saints trade thoughts

The thread isnt about trading the entire draft for a player (Which is STUPID)

Just........  do we move up if someone we want is there?

At 26, the STUD pass rush DE that we need, will PROBABLY NOT be there

We SHOULDNT just take the next DE, that may not be better than what we already

have at the spot

Maybe we trade up........ Maybe we dont

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

An observation on my part, not a sponsorship on the Saints trade thoughts

The thread isnt about trading the entire draft for a player (Which is STUPID)

Just........  do we move up if someone we want is there?

At 26, the STUD pass rush DE that we need, will PROBABLY NOT be there

We SHOULDNT just take the next DE, that may not be better than what we already

have at the spot

Maybe we trade up........ Maybe we dont

I agree.... don’t reach for ‘need’.

At worst, hopefully Ballard’s scouting acumen nets us an edge guy in rounds 2 and beyond that has the ability to develop and contribute in a solid rotation.

Who knows.... maybe lightening can strike twice and he finds a DE version of Leonard. :thmup:

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 8:24 AM, ColtJax said:

Not really for entertainment.  It is a very good indicator of what a trade is worth 

4 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Not really for entertainment.  It is a very good indicator of what a trade is worth 

I was going to say that as well

It has been reported that this chart is an actual baseline that many of the teams use to ensure value

• Thanks 1