Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shouldn't Peyton Pick Asap?

18Manning

I was under the impression Peyton needed to pick his new team ASAP as free agency starts tomorrow. Then I heard on a couple of sports shows, he may wait for a few/several days to decide. Shouldn't he pick before free agency to allow teams to load up on what he might need for supporting talent? Obviously, it's a big decision, but I would think he would want to optimize his opportunity allowing the new team to help him out.

Well as we all know Peyton will have his homework done before he makes a decision on what is best for him and I think he would like to get it done quickly but with considering the ones he wants to interview with it may take longer than he wanted. I'm sure he wouldn't want to make a decision and then decide it wasn't thought through enough. JMO of course. It's kind of hard with the little time he had since being released to get will the top contenders. Like he said in his parting words this was uncharted territory for him.

If you ask me, he should take his time and weight out all his options so that he makes the right decision. He doesn't want to rush it and >>> up.

Except if he waits too long some of the free agents he might need/want might sign with a team he won't join.

Except if he waits too long some of the free agents he might need/want might sign with a team he won't join.

He doesn't necessarily need or want free agents. He's basing his pick on many intangibles, but arguably the biggest one is best fit or roster talent. He may say that the team he chooses doesn't have to pick up some players. Reggie Wayne says he'll go anywhere PM goes, so he won't sign with anyone until he's signed. What you said is not a big issue.

He doesn't necessarily need or want free agents. He's basing his pick on many intangibles, but arguably the biggest one is best fit or roster talent. He may say that the team he chooses doesn't have to pick up some players. Reggie Wayne says he'll go anywhere PM goes, so he won't sign with anyone until he's signed. What you said is not a big issue.

I could see a prospective team perhaps needing 1-2 critical players. I'm not saying he'll request/require a slew a free agents, but that critical 1-2. i.e. if Reggie Wayne gets an offer in a couple/few days that's significant, he may take the money instead of going with Manning (assuming he wants to stay with Manning). If Peyton knew where he wanted to go at the start of free agency, they could pick up the critical or desired player(s) immediately avoiding the above referenced scenario.

I could see a prospective team perhaps needing 1-2 critical players. I'm not saying he'll request/require a slew a free agents, but that critical 1-2. i.e. if Reggie Wayne gets an offer in a couple/few days that's significant, he may take the money instead of going with Manning (assuming he wants to stay with Manning). If Peyton knew where he wanted to go at the start of free agency, they could pick up the critical or desired player(s) immediately avoiding the above referenced scenario.

This scenario potentially arising if Manning hesitates or takes too long to figure out where he wants to go. I forgot to mention that.

If he picks that team, it's because they're good as it is, he believes that they can go to the SB with that team + Manning. Signing FAs could help, like having a Reggie Wayne, but it wouldn't change pick. He's going to that team based on that based on their current roster. It's just going to be interesting to see what the team does after they sign PM.