Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current Salary Cap Status

1959Colts

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/16/despite-leading-the-league-in-cap-space-colts-stay-thrifty-in-free-agency/

Heading into free agency, the Colts had the most cap space in the NFL, but General Manager Chris Ballard said he wouldn’t spend the money just because he had it. And he meant it.

After a flurry of moves across the NFL this week, the Colts still have by far the most cap space in the NFL. Calculating each team’s precise cap number can be a little tricky, but estimates are that the Colts currently have about $75 million to $77 million in cap space, the most in the league by more than $20 million...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, they are far ahead. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team with so much cap this far into free agency than any other team. 20mil plus is crazy.

Also question,

When clicking on the 2020 tab on over the cap, the Colts fall to 4th I believe. 

Why is that? Do the teams the jump the Colts such as the Cowboys and the Ravens have a ton of big name players they are going to have to re-sign or is it for some other reason?

Ballard will have the cash to sign our own FAs in the years to come if they deserve it.  Paying your own builds the locker room and encourages the younger guys.  

For those complaining, no one can say Ballard hasn’t been honest in his process.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Wow, they are far ahead. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team with so much cap this far into free agency than any other team. 20mil plus is crazy.

Also question,

Why is that? Do the teams the jump the Colts such as the Cowboys and the Ravens have a ton of big name players they are going to have to re-sign or is it for some other reason?

That happens when you don't make any worth a crap signings.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Also question,

Look at who’s under contracts,  the teams ahead next year have several big ticket Players on expiring contracts 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Ballard's plan is either going to be Belichick-ianly beautiful...or a complete disaster lol. Here's to praying this strategy plays out brilliantly. 

pretty much.  if building through the draft doesnt work or takes too long, then we just sat on 10s of millions for no good reason while the patriots and chiefs run the conference and we are wasting Lucks prime 

• Like 5

Maybe Ballard has a clause in his contract that he gets to keep a percentage of the unspent salary cap. I'm just kidding, but businesses out in the corporate world do have those kinds of things.

After I accepted that there was going to be no big signing at the start of free agency this year, I really was hoping that the Colts would have dome SOMETHING the last two days. out of the bargain bin. Nope...looks like the Dollar Store again this year. Sigh!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtsAC said:

Maybe Ballard has a clause in his contract that he gets to keep a percentage of the unspent salary cap. I'm just kidding, but businesses out in the corporate world do have those kinds of things.

After I accepted that there was going to be no big signing at the start of free agency this year, I really was hoping that the Colts would have dome SOMETHING the last two days. out of the bargain bin. Nope...looks like the Dollar Store again this year. Sigh!!

I know, I’ve been checking google and the fan forum every 10 minutes hoping something changes. Pure silence 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

pretty much.  if building through the draft doesnt work or takes too long, then we just sat on 10s of millions for no good reason while the patriots and chiefs run the conference and we are wasting Lucks prime 

Doesn't work?

It already has worked.     2018?   10-6 with a win in the playoffs.

Perhaps Luck has a long shelf life than you think?

As for "no good reason"......    we've been over this dozens and dozens and dozens of times,  just in the past week alone.    And probably hundreds of times since Ballard became GM.

Why do you think you've thought of things that Ballard and his team haven't considered?

You might as well declare that you disagree with it and think Ballard is wrong.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Ballard's plan is either going to be Belichick-ianly beautiful...or a complete disaster lol. Here's to praying this strategy plays out brilliantly. 

Call me crazy, but i dont see a "complete disaster" as a realistic possibility.  I guess that depends on expectations.

Blowing our money on 3 "big names"that were just signed (you pick them), wouldnt assure  us of anything really.   I would expect our current roster to make playoffs this year.  Then add in draft picks and some moves by Ballard before and after camp, and we will be deeper and better roster-wise.  

Realistically, we need another year (after this draft) to fill out the roster Ballard's way.  I feel our success last year IN FA, draft, and wins, gave us a sense our roster was further along than it really is.  Another 2 good drafts, some development of our VERY young roster, and a few smart FACadditions, and this team could very well be set up for some long-term success.  A team that is in the mix EVERY year.

I like what i'm seeing and trying to be patient.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

Lol....and Dollar Tree anounced they are closing hundreds of stores....whats a thrifty GM to do? haha

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doesn't work?

It already has worked.     2018?   10-6 with a win in the playoffs.

Perhaps Luck has a long shelf life than you think?

As for "no good reason"......    we've been over this dozens and dozens and dozens of times,  just in the past week alone.    And probably hundreds of times since Ballard became GM.

Why do you think you've thought of things that Ballard and his team haven't considered?

You might as well declare that you disagree with it and think Ballard is wrong.

He will probably come back and say we only went 10-6 because we had an easy schedule. That is all some people said when went 11-5, 3 years in a row. That excuse amazes me when people use it because you still have to beat who is in front you. Winning 10+ games in the 4 seasons with Luck healthy isn't a fluke when you do it 4 different years. What the Jags did was a fluke in 2017 for example, they only had 1 good season, same for the Raiders in 2016.

We definitely have a tough schedule this upcoming season on paper but with Luck at QB I can see 10 wins and making the playoffs again. Especially if Ballard nails the draft.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Not that crazy. Actually, pretty normal. The league average right now is 24 [url=https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/]according to spotrac[/url].

NFL cap space is the sum of the "real" cap space, and the rollover (the savings rolled over from previous year(s)). Most teams have both. The Colts 74M figure contains 49M rollover (savings from previous year), and cca. 25-26M "normal" cap space (the difference of the actual cap - which is 189 - and the total sum of all contracts is - which is 162.5M for the Colts at the moment).

Rollower cannot be used like normal cap space. Imagine if you have 50k yearly income, and you have lets say 100k savings. You can buy a new car for 30k in cash from your savings, and be fine. Your savings will cover it's price and your regular income wont be hurt. However, you cannot finance a 200k new home from your savings, because you will eventually run out of it. You have to finance such investment from your regular income. If you can't afford that, you buy a cheaper home.

NFL cap works similarly. If you have 50 mills rollower, and you sign a player for multi year contract - let's say a 4 year deal, 15 mills per year, 60 mills total - the rollover wont cover it despite the yearly cost is only 15. That contract must be financed from the yearly recurring salary cap. (You can use a portion of the savings if you think the player worth it. But, as with your own budget, you have to be very selective and smart deciding what to spend your savings on. It must really worth it.)

19 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

That is also quite common. Despite these mega multi year deals, NFL mostly operates on yearly basis. Just think of the mere numbers. There are more, than 1500 players under contract each year, and the typical length of a contract is 2 to 3 years. So each year, at least 500 (actually more) player's contract expire. So, except a few teams (who are usually approaching a difficult cap situation in the near future, sometimes even a straight cap hell), most teams's 2020 cap figure is pretty large at the moment. Since the new CBA (and the new mega TV deals the NFL did), the average free cap space is around or over 40M league vise before FA starts, and there's always 5-6 teams with huge free cap to spend.

However, as I said before, the pure cap number can be misleading, because it also contains rolled over money. So, the "top 51 cap" (plus the DEAD) column (see the spotract page I linked above) is a better number to judge how much a team is spending, and how much space they have to work with. (In that regard, the Colts are spending the 7th least, with only 1+ dead so they are pretty fine, their total commitment is one of the lowest. But it's far from the 70+ figure the cap space shows on paper.)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

All or Nothing eh"?
 Silliness
 A very sorry outlook because it isn't a couch potato GM's way of doing it.
 Or maybe we have a very good GM and his staff. And a very good teaching coaching staff and we let the football gods do their thing  :thinking:
 Na, a SIND fan has a better Clue.  :banana:

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

All or Nothing eh"?
 Silliness
 A very sorry outlook because it isn't a couch potato GM's way of doing it.
 Or maybe we have a very good GM and his staff. And a very good teaching coaching staff and we let the football gods do their thing  :thinking:
 Na, a SIND fan has a better Clue.  :banana:

Instead of finding every post I've written, and bashing them all with your pretentious ramblings, why don't you tell us how you'd do it, seeing that you're so smart and all. Nevermind, I already know how you'd do it, you basically just emulate whatever the current GM says, without having any kind of abstract thoughts thrown in. Sorry that I'm not part of the hive, and have my own ideologies, in terms of what may work and what may not; because believe it or not, we don't know if Ballard's ultra conservative style is going to work yet or not. May be a roaring success (which I'd love, believe it or not), or it may keep us in the midst of mediocrity. Keep in mind that Grigson was also GM of The Year, and failed miserably at following that up. The NFL is a very "what have you done for me lately" organization, and requires consistent success. I just don't know that this level of conservatism, given the ammunition we had at our disposal, is the best course of action. And yes, I am an armchair GM, and will be more than happy to admit I was wrong, if the situation dictates...would you? I doubt it, considering the pretentious and arrogant nature of literally everything you type. 

4 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Not that crazy. Actually, pretty normal. The league average right now is 24 [url=https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/]according to spotrac[/url].

NFL cap space is the sum of the "real" cap space, and the rollover (the savings rolled over from previous year(s)). Most teams have both. The Colts 74M figure contains 49M rollover (savings from previous year), and cca. 25-26M "normal" cap space (the difference of the actual cap - which is 189 - and the total sum of all contracts is - which is 162.5M for the Colts at the moment).

Rollower cannot be used like normal cap space. Imagine if you have 50k yearly income, and you have lets say 100k savings. You can buy a new car for 30k in cash from your savings, and be fine. Your savings will cover it's price and your regular income wont be hurt. However, you cannot finance a 200k new home from your savings, because you will eventually run out of it. You have to finance such investment from your regular income. If you can't afford that, you buy a cheaper home.

NFL cap works similarly. If you have 50 mills rollower, and you sign a player for multi year contract - let's say a 4 year deal, 15 mills per year, 60 mills total - the rollover wont cover it despite the yearly cost is only 15. That contract must be financed from the yearly recurring salary cap. (You can use a portion of the savings if you think the player worth it. But, as with your own budget, you have to be very selective and smart deciding what to spend your savings on. It must really worth it.)

That is also quite common. Despite these mega multi year deals, NFL mostly operates on yearly basis. Just think of the mere numbers. There are more, than 1500 players under contract each year, and the typical length of a contract is 2 to 3 years. So each year, at least 500 (actually more) player's contract expire. So, except a few teams (who are usually approaching a difficult cap situation in the near future, sometimes even a straight cap hell), most teams's 2020 cap figure is pretty large at the moment. Since the new CBA (and the new mega TV deals the NFL did), the average free cap space is around or over 40M league vise before FA starts, and there's always 5-6 teams with huge free cap to spend.

However, as I said before, the pure cap number can be misleading, because it also contains rolled over money. So, the "top 51 cap" (plus the DEAD) column (see the spotract page I linked above) is a better number to judge how much a team is spending, and how much space they have to work with. (In that regard, the Colts are spending the 7th least, with only 1+ dead so they are pretty fine, their total commitment is one of the lowest. But it's far from the 70+ figure the cap space shows on paper.)

Thank you for the clarification. Explained well!

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Call me crazy, but i dont see a "complete disaster" as a realistic possibility.  I guess that depends on expectations.

Blowing our money on 3 "big names"that were just signed (you pick them), wouldnt assure  us of anything really.   I would expect our current roster to make playoffs this year.  Then add in draft picks and some moves by Ballard before and after camp, and we will be deeper and better roster-wise.  

Realistically, we need another year (after this draft) to fill out the roster Ballard's way.  I feel our success last year IN FA, draft, and wins, gave us a sense our roster was further along than it really is.  Another 2 good drafts, some development of our VERY young roster, and a few smart FACadditions, and this team could very well be set up for some long-term success.  A team that is in the mix EVERY year.

I like what i'm seeing and trying to be patient.

I think anything mediocre is a disaster when you have Andrew Luck, and enough ammunition to land any several players in the league. These are just my opinions, of course. Maybe Ballard's style will lead us to multiple SB's, and I'll be the 1st to tell you I was wrong. 

• Like 1

People have harped on how much money the Colts have, but are not spending. They have some contracts coming up, so that money can go pretty quick.

But the other considerations are just as important as money:  (length of contract, fit, character, etc.) Short term “prove it” contracts provide motivation and should it not work out (ie Slauson, Mewhort, Grant),  you haven’t mortgaged the future.

Let other teams over spend for a “name”. More times than not,  it comes back to haunt them in some way, whether it’s bad chemistry, fit or dissention off the field. And then you’re forced to start restructuring contracts.

Ballard has done a good job with Free Agency. Guys like Audry, Desire, Mike Mitchell, Ebron, Sheard, Hunt and others have contributed. Those players are far from mediocre. They are making “names” for themselves.

Add three years (2017,18, 19) of good drafting and you are in great shape.

The Colts can compete for a title in 2019 and for years to come. And they can keep the core guys you have developed.

Ballard is playing chess....and he’s not done yet!

GO COLTS!!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I think anything mediocre is a disaster when you have Andrew Luck, and enough ammunition to land any several players in the league. These are just my opinions, of course. Maybe Ballard's style will lead us to multiple SB's, and I'll be the 1st to tell you I was wrong. 

Thanks for clarifying that last season was a Disaster. And right Ballard looks like a Disaster TO YOU.  lmao

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Thanks for clarifying that last season was a Disaster. And right Ballard looks like a Disaster TO YOU.  lmao

Yeah we went 10-6 and won a playoff game at Houston and some people think that is a disaster. lmao We may be the most spoiled fanbase in the history of football :cheers:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we went 10-6 and won a playoff game at Houston and some people think that is a disaster. lmao We may be the most spoiled fanbase in the history of football :cheers:

You guys are delusional. Find anything that says anything about last season being a disaster, please. I know I never wrote that. I just said, simply, that Ballard's conservative style may lend to the team staying mediocre...and in my opinion, getting humiliated in the Divisional Round is mediocre, at best, with all of the tools currently at their disposal. Again, these are my opinions, but please don't put words or phrases in my mouth. 

35 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

You guys are delusional. Find anything that says anything about last season being a disaster, please. I know I never wrote that. I just said, simply, that Ballard's conservative style may lend to the team staying mediocre...and in my opinion, getting humiliated in the Divisional Round is mediocre, at best, with all of the tools currently at their disposal. Again, these are my opinions, but please don't put words or phrases in my mouth. 

I never said you actually said that but many think that and losing in the Divisional Round to a better team is far from being "humiliated" - your words. "mediocre" - your words, no, going 10-6 and winning a playoff game = a good season, not "mediocre". We lost but went deep in the playoffs and just lost to a better team on the road. It happens.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never said you actually said that but many think that and losing in the Divisional Round to a better team is far from being "humiliated" - your words. "mediocre" - your words, no going 10-6 and winning a playoff game = a good season, not "mediocre" We lost but went deep in the playoffs and just lost to a better team on the road. It happens.  

I get it man, and it's not like I'm not a Colts fan. I just think the offense, as evidenced in that loss to a putrid KC defense, is far away from SB level. Yeah, they played well in the regular season, but can they be elite, and beat the NE, NO, Rams, and potentially Browns of the league consistently? I'm not sure they can, and it's upsetting that they had every opportunity to add a really high caliber player to the offense, and passed. I get it, he's conservative, and sticks to his guns, but at the same time, I'm worried it may be too conservative. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I get it man, and it's not like I'm not a Colts fan. I just think the offense, as evidenced in that loss to a putrid KC defense, is far away from SB level. Yeah, they played well in the regular season, but can they be elite, and beat the NE, NO, Rams, and potentially Browns of the league consistently? I'm not sure they can, and it's upsetting that they had every opportunity to add a really high caliber player to the offense, and passed. I get it, he's conservative, and sticks to his guns, but at the same time, I'm worried it may be too conservative. Time will tell. 

I don’t think our offense is as bad as it looked inthst KC game. I think people are over reacting to that one game. We just plain ran out of gas after being in playoff mode for 11 weeks. Plus the weather didn’t help. 

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The figures seem right and what the market rate is. I don’t know what your talking about. That’s five players. Which one of those guys doesn’t deserve 10m. 

Kelly gets £10m automatically doesn't he?

So that $12m each for Castanzo, a 31 year old edge rusher who gets 6 sacks a season and two tight ends who would both then be the highest paid players at their position.

9 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Kelly gets £10m automatically doesn't he?

So that $12m each for Castanzo, a 31 year old edge rushers who gets 6 sacks a season and two tight ends who would both then be the highest paid players at their position.

Doyle’s contract probably wouldn’t be that high same with Sheard. IF  Ebron has that season again yes I can see it. Kelly is going to get paid. You can’t underestimate his value to luck.  The point is if you take what all five of them will get if re-signed it’s going to be close to that figure.

24 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

It's cool, I do think KC's defense was a bit underrated, numbers wise it was bad but their ability to get to the QB was pretty good. They did lose Ford and Houston. I am not naive to the point to think we can beat them or the Pats yet. Both of those teams are better as of now. Having said that we have 9 draft picks so we can get better. I get the concerns and the goal is to win the SB in reality but we are getting closer IMO.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Doyle’s contract probably wouldn’t be that high same with Sheard. IF  Ebron has that season again yes I can see it. Kelly is going to get paid. You can’t underestimate his value to luck.  The point is if you take what all five of them will get if re-signed it’s going to be close to that figure.

No need to tie Kelly up for more than $10m either on the option or long term.

If we take all of the other 4 for a combined €48m when 3 of them are 30+ then it will make a mockery of the draft and develop ethos. 

5 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

No need to tie Kelly up for more than $10m either on the option or long term.

If we take all of the other 4 for a combined €48m when 3 of them are 30+ then it will make a mockery of the draft and develop ethos. 

Did you not see how much our running game improved when Kelly got back. Luck had to do a lot when his backup center was in.  Go look st what some of the centers in this league are making.  

As far as them being 30 plus. We will see what kind of seasons they have this year. Kelly is a must though. When Anthony was our we also was not as good. I could see them not bringing Doyle back but first I need to see the impact he has on the team this next season. I think we missed him more then what we think. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did you not see how much our running game improved when Kelly got back. Luck had to do a lot when his backup center was in.  Go look st what some of the centers in this league are making.  

As far as them being 30 plus. We will see what kind of seasons they have this year. Kelly is a must though. When Anthony was our we also was not as good. I could see them not bringing Doyle back but first I need to see the impact he has on the team this next season. I think we missed him more then what we think. 

I did look. Only 2 centres make more than $10.5m. Just because Kelly is better than Boehm doesn't mean he should be the best paid centre, especially when we still have the 5th year option.

I think they might not bring Doyle back as well but the $58m quoted in that article for our key resigning is madness. 

5 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I did look. Only 2 centres make more than $10.5m. Just because Kelly is better than Boehm doesn't mean he should be the best paid centre, especially when we still have the 5th year option.

I think they might not bring Doyle back as well but the $58m quoted in that article for our key resigning is madness. 

To be fair that article says anywhere between 46m and 58m.