Jump to content
ThorstenDenmark

Improved or status Q ?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

How do you know if will be a wasted year of lucks prime. We were two games away  from the SB. Who is to say this team doesn’t mature enough and the couple additions we get doesn’t get us there in the next season.

I think they should be trying harder to win now because they have Luck in his prime.  they cant say they did everything they could have while sitting on 70 million$.  thats the most in the league by far, this isnt normal 

 

the real kicker is we have more than enough to sign our own guys while also bringing in anyone they want really.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

So did Brees.... when he ran off the field after what would be his last play as a Charger... his arm looked like Mr. Potatohead’s arm turned backwards.

 

I’m not assuming anything.... I’m just not understanding that if Luck could command several 1st and 2nd round picks at 31 years of age.... why we’d want to trade him as GoColts was proposing.

 

That is 2 years from now and very likely correlates with the larger part of this roster hitting its prime.

 

Thats not something I would gamble for an unknown commodity.

A team that thinks it can win Championships now would trade for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pacolts56 said:

If Luck is worth that level of draft compensation at only 31 years of age.... why on earth would you trade him? :scratch:

At 31 he will command 27-30M per season and he'll maybe have 9 years left. 

Trevor Lawrence will be 21, on a Rookie contract and most importantly the Team will be built to win Championships even as Trevor matures

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

Yeah, they probably need to catch the Chiefs. Their all-world QB is 17 (exaggeration, some ppl can't tell) and gonna be around for a while, and he's pretty good at football. Our QB is essentially 30, and management is in no hurry to give him the weapons necessary to advance any further. We're dead set on resigning the guys that we nail in the draft...well, what if he doesn't nail the draft this year, picking from a more leveraged position? Then who are you resigning? You essentially lose a year or more inside of Andrew's seemingly short window. It's a risky proposition being this conservative, equally risky to being aggressive. 

I seriously doubt the bolded...unequivocally. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you lose a year if the draft isn’t nailed. We have almost the exact same team we had last year and was two games from the SB. Guys will mature and we will improve just from them getting older.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

Yeah, they probably need to catch the Chiefs. Their all-world QB is 17 (exaggeration, some ppl can't tell) and gonna be around for a while, and he's pretty good at football. Our QB is essentially 30, and management is in no hurry to give him the weapons necessary to advance any further. We're dead set on resigning the guys that we nail in the draft...well, what if he doesn't nail the draft this year, picking from a more leveraged position? Then who are you resigning? You essentially lose a year or more inside of Andrew's seemingly short window. It's a risky proposition being this conservative, equally risky to being aggressive. 

 

 You do know that about half the 1st rd picks are big disappointments?

 Nailing the draft has always been a judge it after their 3rd year proposition.
 Now this part surely evades you. But maybe it won't many of the readers.
  It is because it takes years to develop most players.
 Keep whining about so much you just don't get. Pure silliness.
Andrew isn't likely to ever PLAY in a Super Bowl, unless our GM does a great job, and Andrew has coaches that can work around his weaknesses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

How do you lose a year if the draft isn’t nailed. We have almost the exact same team we had last year and was two games from the SB. Guys will mature and we will improve just from them getting older.

Luck wont be around forever, nobody will for that matter.  how are we not losing a year?  everyone alive is losing a year

 

no guarantee they will get better either, every team in the league is trying to do that. it doesnt always work out that way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, threeflight said:

Very good points and one I have been talking about for a while now.

 

Sure, no one wants to overspend on players.  Even really good ones like Collins.  That was an overpay for a safety who is limited in how he can affect the game.

 

But there were players available, both in FA and via trade, that could have turned the Colts from right now who looks like a fringe playoff team to a legit SB contender.  And after all, isn't that what this is all about?  To try and contend for the SB every year?  It isn't to see who can have the most money in the bank at the end of the year.  

 

I think if the Colts had gone 5-11 or 6-10 last year, like they started out 1-5....then ok, don't break the bank and stay status quo with the draft and second tier free agents.  But considering the Colts finished strong at 10-6 and won a playoff game?  I don't see any reason why they could not have gone out and gotten one of the better game changers available.  A Bell.  A AB.  A OBJ.  Even a T Williams would have helped.  Luck has an injury history.  He is now 30.   He isn't a kid anymore. He has a lot of tread on those tires.  To stay status quo and 'hope' a SB window opens up 2-3 years down the road as it appears the plan is?  When Luck is 32-33?  I don't get that.  To me that is very passive thinking in the NFL-Not for Long league.  Whether we spend another $3 M on a player per year to bring in a stud is not going to make or break the salary cap, and it sure as hell doesn't affect our life in the least.  The owners and players all make great money from this sport.

 

We got better faster than anyone thought.  There is nothing wrong with adapting your approach to free agency as a result WHILE WE HAVE THE MONEY AND WHILE SO MANY PLAYERS ARE ON ROOKIE CONTRACTS.   Because in 2-3 years, when Ballard wants to be really good?  Those rookie contracts expire and who can we sign then?  Plus Luck will be up for more money.  We had a window here to add a couple truly elite players and we blew it.  Plain and simple.  I think we will look back on this FA period as a big big lost opportunity.  

Why do people harp on Luck's age? Why is it that the window is so quickly closing? Brady has gone to 6 Super Bowls since age 30.

The Colts are handling things the right way. They have trust in what they are doing and they believe in the guys they have wearing their colors. Additionally, it appears they will only sign guys they are convinced will add to that trust and belief.

It is conceivable that Super Bowl appearances could become a regular occurrence around here. Trust and belief with a sprinkle of patience, is it too much to ask? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sreeb2deeni said:

Why do people harp on Luck's age? Why is it that the window is so quickly closing? Brady has gone to 6 Super Bowls since age 30.

 

If you are counting on the Colts to replicate anything the Pats have done, you will be severely disappointed, I can assure you.  

 

Reality check: Ballard has done an excellent job to this point, no doubt, but subtract Luck and this is still a weak team.  This is not some stacked team that could win with a mediocre QB.

 

Much easier to win a GM of the year award with Manning or Luck.  People need to remember that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, #12. said:

 

If you are counting on the Colts to replicate anything the Pats have done, you will be severely disappointed, I can assure you.  

 

Reality check: Ballard has done an excellent job to this point, no doubt, but subtract Luck and this is still a weak team.  This is not some stacked team that could win with a mediocre QB.

 

Much easier to win a GM of the year award with Manning or Luck.  People need to remember that.  

You're missing the point. "Why all the talk of the window closing because Luck is 30" was what I was saying. I referred to Brady just to give an example of a successful 30+ QB.

The other part... nevermind. You clearly have no trust or belief. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

Luck wont be around forever, nobody will for that matter.  how are we not losing a year?  everyone alive is losing a year

 

no guarantee they will get better either, every team in the league is trying to do that. it doesnt always work out that way 

Gasp what if we win the SB next season. Why be so pessimistic that we don’t have a chance unless we overpay for certain players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

They are contributing but they're mediocre players who won't be eating into the cap space if and when they get renewed.

 

Your point would be excellent if anybody was suggesting that we should sign 10 players for $10m each. However nobody has said that.

 

We could quite feasibly have signed two top class players for a combined $35m and fit well below the salary cap for the duration of their contract. 

Bingo.  Nailed it.  This.

 

We have the most cap space of anyone.

 

To be frugal now, after a 10-6 one playoff win season, with Luck in his prime?

 

Pure ego and trying to prove you are better and smarter than everyone else and NOT doing what is best for the city of Indy, Colts fans, and the Indy Colts franchise.

 

He is a guy that wants to prove he can spend the least amount of money and still do better than anyone else.

 

Sorry guys but Ballard is an ego maniac and I have said that since day 1.  I got the feeling since his day one presser.  I deal with people like this all of the time so I get a good feel for people like this.

 

Don't get me wrong..he is a smart guy.  But he thinks he is smarter than he is.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your missing the point of guaranteed money that has to be paid upfront. Irsay does not have the cash like the redskins or a lot of other teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ballard has proven he did what was best for all based upon the results from last year. Not many saw that coming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Sorry guys but Ballard is an ego maniac and I have said that since day 1.  I got the feeling since his day one presser.  I deal with people like this all of the time so I get a good feel for people like this.

 

Jiminy Christmas...  :wall:

 

Do the other 31 fan-bases have to deal with this kind of stuff in their own ranks?

 

Are there Pats fans that come out of the woodwork during free agency and say this kind of crap about Belichick?  :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Don't get me wrong..he is a smart guy.  But he thinks he is smarter than he is.

 

Interesting hypothesis...

 

How smart do you think you are?

 

tumblr_n7b46yRaCE1smcbm7o1_250.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

Interesting hypothesis...

 

How smart do you think you are?

 

tumblr_n7b46yRaCE1smcbm7o1_250.gif

Doesn't matter.

 

This is a message board for people to offer their opinion.

 

That is my opinion.

 

BTW I am the same guy who predicted the financial fall of 2008, Brexit, and a Trump win in 2016.  :)

 

I am a daytrader. Part of that is learning how to deal with people and how they think.  It really influences how stocks act.  I understand that football and stock fluctuations may seem worlds apart...but I am telling you Ballard is a guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone else.  


It may be his downfall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, threeflight said:

This is a message board for people to offer their opinion.

 

That is my opinion.

 

True that.

 

But I'm pretty sure I would get in trouble if I posted how smart I think you are.

 

(It would sound a lot like what you said about Ballard, though, if you're into inferences)

 

:funny:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

True that.

 

But I'm pretty sure I would get in trouble if I posted how smart I think you are.

 

(It would sound a lot like what you said about Ballard, though, if you're into inferences)

 

:funny:

Bro its all good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

There statistics are almost identical. They came  into the league at the same time. But funchess was only 20. He has more receptions then Williams and more touchdowns. Williams has a little more yards and a slightly higher YPC. But they have almost the same statistics over their four year career. Plus they are the same height.

 

Everyone is just mad because we didn’t sign AB.  If you follow the colts you would of known that wasn’t going to happen.

Didn’t one of them line up as a WR1 facing the opponents top CB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Didn’t one of them line up as a WR1 facing the opponents top CB?

Funchess got beat out by a rookie in 2018 and was benched the last game of the season.

 

He may do well for the Colts but trust me he was not setting the world on fire with the Panthers.

 

He is the equivalent to Ryan Grant with the Redskins in 2017..... stats back that up.


Would you pay $10 m year to Grant plus $3 M in incentives?

 

I don't think so.

 

It was overpay city.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you say this horse dung just to get negative attention.

And I think you go with the party line no matter the cost.

 

And?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Didn’t one of them line up as a WR1 facing the opponents top CB?

They both have so what's the difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

They both have so what's the difference?

Yep. They have both been the #1 wide receiver at some point. I was actually impressed with funchess rookie year. He was just 21 and was pretty good. 

 

The panthers were a mess last year with Newton’s shoulder. I don’t think it’s fair to judge his year last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funchess is also not going to have the burden of carrying this team. We will put him in a situation where he will succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Ebron is already paid. Might get a couple of million more when his contract comes around.

 

Hooker, Nelson and Leonard are years away from needing to be paid. Definitely shouldn't be affecting this year's decisions.

 

So Moore and Kelly then?  That's hardly a reason to keep $70m in reserve?

Respectfully...   no, Ebron is not paid.  Not in the true meaning of the word. 

 

Ebron has had one more year on his contract.  So he’s going to be paid by someone in 2020, one year from now.  And he’s going to want a bigger, longer contract.  Maybe he gets it with the Cokts, maybe with another team?   But that’s the contract where he wants to be seriously paid. 

 

As for for the reason to hold on to $70 mill — we won’t.   We’ll sign guys for the next 2-3 weeks or so.  Then we’ll try to sign more guys after the draft. 

 

But Ballard will not overpay.  At least not at this point of his rebuild.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

Jiminy Christmas...  :wall:

 

Do the other 31 fan-bases have to deal with this kind of stuff in their own ranks?

 

Are there Pats fans that come out of the woodwork during free agency and say this kind of crap about Belichick?  :facepalm:

 

Not that it has anything to do with Ballard...but BB is in fact an egomaniac though. So if they did...they wouldn't be wrong.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Respectfully...   no, Ebron is not paid.  Not in the true meaning of the word. 

 

Ebron has had one more year on his contract.  So he’s going to be paid by someone in 2020, one year from now.  And he’s going to want a bigger, longer contract.  Maybe he gets it with the Cokts, maybe with another team?   But that’s the contract where he wants to be seriously paid. 

 

As for for the reason to hold on to $70 mill — we won’t.   We’ll sign guys for the next 2-3 weeks or so.  Then we’ll try to sign more guys after the draft. 

 

But Ballard will not overpay.  At least not at this point of his rebuild.   

He's the 12th highest paid tight end in the league.  That's "paid" in my book.

 

Even if he becomes the highest paid player at his position (which he obviously won't) it would only add $3.5m to the spend. It's not like we're having to put aside massive amounts of cap to make sure we can fit him in.

 

I know he won't. Even though you could make a case to say that Funchess is overpaid. I just think it's a little short sighted to exclude yourself from good players who can help the rebuild because you won't pay the going rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, threeflight said:

Doesn't matter.

 

This is a message board for people to offer their opinion.

 

That is my opinion.

 

BTW I am the same guy who predicted the financial fall of 2008, Brexit, and a Trump win in 2016.  :)

 

I am a daytrader. Part of that is learning how to deal with people and how they think.  It really influences how stocks act.  I understand that football and stock fluctuations may seem worlds apart...but I am telling you Ballard is a guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone else.  


It may be his downfall.

 

You’re also the guy who trashed Ballard’s free agency a year ago and were proven wrong.

 

And you’re also the guy who trashed Ballard's draft last year and were proven wrong.

 

You’re also the guy who thought the Colts wouldn’t have a good season last year and were proven wrong.

 

And now you’ve brought the same tired act back here for another round, only this time you’ve added the idea that Ballard is arrogant and that will bring him down.

 

For a guy with such a long public record of being spectacularly wrong, seems you’re the one who is arrogant, not Ballard.   He at least has a track record of success to point to.

 

You?  Not so much. 

 

I dont know why you think people here should take you seriously.   But feel free to share your opinions.   They’ve become entertaining!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I can't speak for everyone but for me the money is a secondary issue. I want to watch good players wear the horseshoe and whether they get paid $10m a year or $15 a year it doesn't matter to me. As long as we have the money to pay them and flexibility to move forward without ludicrous penalties while being able to sign our draftees then what is the harm?

 

The point of the game is surely to get good players into a good system and produce the best results possible. It seems that some people seem to behave like the point of the game is to be the cheapest possible team and scrimp every dime.

 

Not looking for the best players. Looking for the right ones.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

Jiminy Christmas...  :wall:

 

Do the other 31 fan-bases have to deal with this kind of stuff in their own ranks?

 

Are there Pats fans that come out of the woodwork during free agency and say this kind of crap about Belichick?  :facepalm:

Yes.  Every team, every year.  Its human nature.  It’s why a good agent or used car salesman will never go broke.  And also why garage sales remain popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Gasp what if we win the SB next season. Why be so pessimistic that we don’t have a chance unless we overpay for certain players.

i dont think they should over pay.  bell actually got a fair deal for both sides, he wasnt over paid based on what hes done in the league.  before you say we already have mack, bell is one of the best receivers to ever play the position, while mack had 17 receiving yards and has trouble hauling in simple passes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I can't speak for everyone but for me the money is a secondary issue. I want to watch good players wear the horseshoe and whether they get paid $10m a year or $15 a year it doesn't matter to me. As long as we have the money to pay them and flexibility to move forward without ludicrous penalties while being able to sign our draftees then what is the harm?

 

The point of the game is surely to get good players into a good system and produce the best results possible. It seems that some people seem to behave like the point of the game is to be the cheapest possible team and scrimp every dime.

 

The Colts are NOT trying to be cheap or scrimp.   The Colts are trying to be smart. 

 

Ballard inherited a terrible roster and it’s taking time to build it the right way.   Ballard has also said his current approach to free agency is NOT a permanent thing.   That at the right time, he will invest more heavily in free agency.   I’m guessin next March.

 

Ballard has also repeatedly noted that teams that “win free agency” typically do NOT do well in that regular season.

 

His approach worked last year.   I expect his approach will work this year.  But his approach will evolve over time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello fellow Colts fans.

 

Living abroad in Denmark - Europe, and a die hard Colts fans for 20 years or so, I have never been so committed to a sports franchise as I am to the Indianapolis Colts. Heck I even got a Colts tattoo :rock:

 

In recent years I have been even more committed to follow both the draft, free agency and really started to get into the whole cap issues and whats ticking behind the scenes regarding signing free agents and so. 

 

Ever since Chris Ballard have made his entrance, I can only see positives and a newfound belief throughout the NFL and among other fanbases, that the Colts are heading the right direction. 

 

Suddenly your team have the most capspace and money to spend in the entire NFL, and you start thinking, will this be the year we sign someone special that can take us to the next level ?

 

And then we sign .... wait for it....waaaaaiiiiit for it....

 

Devin Funchess....:Cry:

 

Not quite the huge signing I was dreaming about or the player that I see could help us take the next step, especially not when looking at those teams we have to beat to take the next step. 

 

Kansas City :edit: looks even stronger already, and okay... The Browns also start looking like a football team ( not that the Browns will be any good, but they start to make some noise), like it or not, But the Jags now have a decent QB and New England looks like...well New England :worms:

 

Regarding Funchess, I do believe that he can help us, but Im really not sure if the Colts have become a much better and improved team so far or it's Status Q?

 

With $77 million dollars in cap space, I hope Ballard can find someone in week two or three of free agency, so we can get that defensive upgrade we still need. Without it, I don't see us getting any closer to beating Kansas or New England this year, but I might be wrong.

 

In Ballard I trust, but honestly... dude come on man... you got $77 million dollars to spend, so get on with it before people starts thinking about the 2021 draft with Trevor Lawrence.

This can be summed up quite easily.

Those big contract can be like swimming with a bowling ball..... sure you can stay afloat for a while.... but the "weight" will bring you "down" sooner rather than later.  Building the team from the foundation (draft and re-signing existing players) tends to lead to a more stable, rounded team with far less chance of "bad contracts."

  I'm trying to think of the last time a "big name" free agent  met or even cAme close to the "value"of their big contract and i'm drawing a blank.   And look at all the teams that move on early and eat alot of dead cap for the mistake.  I can name MANY of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think they should over pay.  bell actually got a fair deal for both sides, he wasnt over paid based on what hes done in the league.  before you say we already have mack, bell is one of the best receivers to ever play the position, while mack had 17 receiving yards and has trouble hauling in simple passes

 

Everyone seems to forget Bell had off-field issues.... more than AB actually.  A talent yes, but not really a " fit" for our locker room i think.  I'm not judging , but He and Blount were known as the "Doobie Brothers."

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Everyone seems to forget Bell had off-field issues.... more than AB actually.  A talent yes, but not really a " fit" for our locker room i think.  I'm not judging , but He and Blount were known as the "Doobie Brothers."

haha so smoking a little weed is a locker room problem now? he had a 3 game suspension 4 years ago, no big deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

He's the 12th highest paid tight end in the league.  That's "paid" in my book.

 

Even if he becomes the highest paid player at his position (which he obviously won't) it would only add $3.5m to the spend. It's not like we're having to put aside massive amounts of cap to make sure we can fit him in.

 

I know he won't. Even though you could make a case to say that Funchess is overpaid. I just think it's a little short sighted to exclude yourself from good players who can help the rebuild because you won't pay the going rate.

 

When players think of getting PAID,  it's not by rank of salary by his postion.

 

It's the size of his contract.    He got a 2-year deal for $13-15 Mill.   

 

After his deal is up this year,  Ebron is going to want a minimum of 3 years, if not 4 or 5 years.   He's going to want some serious guaranteed money.    He wants some financial security.

 

And if he has another good year for us,  he will have earned it.    Now, whether Ballard is the guy to pay him his next big contract or he goes elsewhere to get it,  Ebron's time is now, while he's in his mid-20's...    his prime earning years.     So, he's not going to want another 2-year deal.

 

He'll be look for a contract that will be the best of his career.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

When players think of getting PAID,  it's not by rank of salary by his postion.

 

It's the size of his contract.    He got a 2-year deal for $13-15 Mill.   

 

After his deal is up this year,  Ebron is going to want a minimum of 3 years, if not 4 or 5 years.   He's going to want some serious guaranteed money.    He wants some financial security.

 

And if he has another good year for us,  he will have earned it.    Now, whether Ballard is the guy to pay him his next big contract or he goes elsewhere to get it,  Ebron's time is now, while he's in his mid-20's...    his prime earning years.     So, he's not going to want another 2-year deal.

 

He'll be look for a contract that will be the best of his career.

 

I see where you're coming from but I think we're talking about 2 different things.

 

You're looking at it from the player's point of view with a multi year accumulation of earnings.

 

I'm simply talking about the impact on out salary cap in the context of signing your own vs adding free agents. Given where his annual salary currently sits I don't think we need to have any concerns about affording his next contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

The Colts are NOT trying to be cheap or scrimp.   The Colts are trying to be smart. 

 

Ballard inherited a terrible roster and it’s taking time to build it the right way.   Ballard has also said his current approach to free agency is NOT a permanent thing.   That at the right time, he will invest more heavily in free agency.   I’m guessin next March.

 

Ballard has also repeatedly noted that teams that “win free agency” typically do NOT do well in that regular season.

 

His approach worked last year.   I expect his approach will work this year.  But his approach will evolve over time.

Maybe I just don't see the difference between spending now and spending next March. I don't see the smartness. 

 

The teams that generally "win free agency" usually sign lots of over the hill "names" but that's not what I was suggesting. I would just like a couple of young top end talents to supplement what we have. Even the Patriots do that as did recent super bowl teams in the Eagles and Rams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ClaytonColt said:

Maybe I just don't see the difference between spending now and spending next March. I don't see the smartness. 

 

The teams that generally "win free agency" usually sign lots of over the hill "names" but that's not what I was suggesting. I would just like a couple of young top end talents to supplement what we have. Even the Patriots do that as did recent super bowl teams in the Eagles and Rams.

 

I think Ballard had in an interest in some of the top names...

 

We were linked to Collins, Pr. Smith, and Ty Williams.     All big names who got 8-figure contracts.

 

But when the prices soared,  Ballard stepped out.     That's his way.

 

There was a LOT of money to spend in FA by most of the teams.   Prices got crazy.    That's when Ballard's discipline takes over.    He's only willing to go so far.

 

Ballard does not want a bad long-term contract on the books.     You can make a case that we overpaid for Funchess.    But at least it's only 1-year.    Little damage done.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I think Ballard had in an interest in some of the top names...

 

We were linked to Collins, Pr. Smith, and Ty Williams.     All big names who got 8-figure contracts.

 

But when the prices soared,  Ballard stepped out.     That's his way.

 

There was a LOT of money to spend in FA by most of the teams.   Prices got crazy.    That's when Ballard's discipline takes over.    He's only willing to go so far.

 

Ballard does not want a bad long-term contract on the books.     You can make a case that we overpaid for Funchess.    But at least it's only 1-year.    Little damage done.

 

There's no point having interest if you fundamentally won't pay the going rate. Prices are crazy and it isn't going to change going forward.

 

Nobody wants bad long term contracts on the books but to me you don't measure the success of a contract on whether you saved a million or two. The success of a contract is surely whether you got a high level of play from the player involved and success during that period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...