Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Pennock

Colts Roster fun facts and potential breakout candidates

Recommended Posts

. The average age of the current roster: 25.2

Average experience of current roster: 3.2

Without AV's 46 years and 23 years....

Age: 24.8 & Experience: 2.9

For an 10-6 and 1-1 team with Rookie HC and coordinators and a 2nd year GM that is pretty spectacular.

******************************************

Carroll Phillips and Jihad Ward both played at Illinois and were coached by Phair

******************************************

Carroll Phillips and Ahmad Thomas won state football championships together in Miami in High School

******************************************

Antonio Garcia, after being a 3rd Round Pick (with lots of accolades) of the Patriots, was released after being diagnosed with blood cl.ots in his lungs and dropping 40 pounds. Fully healthy now he COULD be the hier apparent to Castonzo.

******************************************

Al-Quadin Muhammad was a 4 star recruit at Miami and was suspended with then teammate Jermaine Grace (former Colt) and missed 2 years of college ball due to another suspension where he was falsley accused of an domestic altercation with a roomate - he was still drafted in the 6th round by the Saints on pure talent - redshirted even though he tore up the preseason twice - and Ballard scooped him up at cut down day. Theoretically he would now have his 4 years of college experience and I believe he will breakout candidate this year! 

******************************************

Deon Cain and Marcus Johnson both started their college careers as quarterbacks until transitioning to wide receivers. We will reap those benefits.

******************************************

Jihad Ward is my other breakout candidate on the defensive line. He was always better suited for the UT position, and Eberflus surely saw that when he coached him at the Senior Bowl and with Dallas briefly, as does Phair his old college line coach. Now that he is in a position to use his natural abilities with us, I see 5-10 sack potential in him and he will be my second breakout candidate of the year.

******************************************

We have 6 tightends on the current roster, only one of which was drafted. Additionally, 2 were college bball players (Travis & Alie-Cox) and one was a wide receiver (Billy Brown). Very interesting and diverse backgrounds for the deepest TE room in the league. 

******************************************

Lastly, while I will not have Cain or Fountain as breakout candidates (yet), but, I will say that they will contribute this year in the offense. Likely at the expense of Pascal and/or Rogers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep forgetting about Marcus Johnson in the WR mix.  I hope he comes back and contributes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I keep forgetting about Marcus Johnson in the WR mix.  I hope he comes back and contributes.

He looked good in the 1.5 games he was in until getting hurt on that dirty out of bounds tackle....

 

The lone exception being the very first pass he had thrown his way, he dropped a sure first down.....lol

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of injury did Johnson have? What game was it? I don’t even remember. I would like to see if I can find some highlights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I'm so excited for Deon Cain, really hope he can comeback from that injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

What kind of injury did Johnson have? What game was it? I don’t even remember. I would like to see if I can find some highlights.

I believe it was ankle, tearing a ligament. It was against the Jets on a return after the play. Guy tackled him out of bounds. Dude ended up apologizing I believe. (No Flag of course since it was a colt)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I recall, Brissett and Hines had some overlap at NC State together. I believe I saw a video of Brissett throwing him a TD. I'll try to find it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I believe it was ankle, tearing a ligament. It was against the Jets on a return after the play. Guy tackled him out of bounds. Dude ended up apologizing I believe. (No Flag of course since it was a colt)

Went back and watched that game. Johnson scored a TD. He did look pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

. The average age of the current roster: 25.2

Average experience of current roster: 3.2

Without AV's 46 years and 23 years....

Age: 24.8 & Experience: 2.9

For an 10-6 and 1-1 team with Rookie HC and coordinators and a 2nd year GM that is pretty spectacular.

******************************************

Carroll Phillips and Jihad Ward both played at Illinois and were coached by Phair

******************************************

Carroll Phillips and Ahmad Thomas won state football championships together in Miami in High School

******************************************

Antonio Garcia, after being a 3rd Round Pick (with lots of accolades) of the Patriots, was released after being diagnosed with blood cl.ots in his lungs and dropping 40 pounds. Fully healthy now he COULD be the hier apparent to Castonzo.

******************************************

Al-Quadin Muhammad was a 4 star recruit at Miami and was suspended with then teammate Jermaine Grace (former Colt) and missed 2 years of college ball due to another suspension where he was falsley accused of an domestic altercation with a roomate - he was still drafted in the 6th round by the Saints on pure talent - redshirted even though he tore up the preseason twice - and Ballard scooped him up at cut down day. Theoretically he would now have his 4 years of college experience and I believe he will breakout candidate this year! 

******************************************

Deon Cain and Marcus Johnson both started their college careers as quarterbacks until transitioning to wide receivers. We will reap those benefits.

******************************************

Jihad Ward is my other breakout candidate on the defensive line. He was always better suited for the UT position, and Eberflus surely saw that when he coached him at the Senior Bowl and with Dallas briefly, as does Phair his old college line coach. Now that he is in a position to use his natural abilities with us, I see 5-10 sack potential in him and he will be my second breakout candidate of the year.

******************************************

We have 6 tightends on the current roster, only one of which was drafted. Additionally, 2 were college bball players (Travis & Alie-Cox) and one was a wide receiver (Billy Brown). Very interesting and diverse backgrounds for the deepest TE room in the league. 

******************************************

Lastly, while I will not have Cain or Fountain as breakout candidates (yet), but, I will say that they will contribute this year in the offense. Likely at the expense of Pascal and/or Rogers.

Interesting info/thoughts.  I disagree with Fountain overtaking Pascal.  I think Pascal could be the WR to break through big for us.  I am also not as in love with our TE room as you are.  A lot rides on whether Doyle can return full force.  If not (if they already know he's not going to be the same) I would like to see them draft a stud TE who actually knows how to play already.  I am tired of converting guys who don't even know football.  Why take the hard road? Plus the TE group was very injury prone last year and it deeply hurt our offense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My breakout candidate is Kemoko Turay. 

 

From what Ballard said after the season, they loved what he was doing but he was struggling with the workload, which limited his snaps.  Hopefully a full off-season working with trainers can remedy that.

 

PFF saw it as a good rookie year for him, specifically in terms of how quick he was getting to the QB when he did.  Just had a quick Google and found the below quote from PFF article:

 

Of his 33 total pressures this season, 20 have come within 3.0 seconds of the snap, which amounts to a 60.6 quick pressure rate that ranks tied for fourth among the 42 NFL edge defenders with 25-plus pressures through Week 12. For perspective, only Michael Bennett (69.8), Jadeveon Clowney (63.6) and Dee Ford (61.0) rank ahead of Turay in quick pressure rate.

 

Hopefully Tyquan Lewis also gets a full head of steam and we are able to kick him inside rather than having to use him on the outside as much as last year, and then both these guys are wreaking havoc. :woah:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throw George Odom into the conversation, unless you feel he broke out last year...very impressive athlete who played a rover-like LB position in college.  Just scratching the surface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

Is ward still here? I thought he was a free agent 

He's still listed on the roster and I think they signed him for 2 years when they picked him up!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

He's still listed on the roster and I think they signed him for 2 years when they picked him up!?

They did! I had to google it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 10:33 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Was it this one.....shoulda put that in there too!

 

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=13959473

Two immediate thoughts...

1.) Hines is playing WR on that play

2.) Brissett sent that pass over 50 yards in the air

Those qualify as fun facts too, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Douzer said:

Two immediate thoughts...

1.) Hines is playing WR on that play

2.) Brissett sent that pass over 50 yards in the air

Those qualify as fun facts too, right?

Yes, I absolutely forgot about the one year they played together and this particular highlight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excited about Turay on defense. Our RB group on offense. Someone mentioned the TE group and Ballard said he thinks are WR room is better than most fans think. So if presented with a option either Fant or DK Metcalf he chooses Fant. Think both Ebron and Doyle contracts our up after this year. If Ebron tears it up again I think he'll demand the highest paid contract for TE's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 2:51 AM, JPFolks said:

I would like to see them draft a stud TE who actually knows how to play already.  I am tired of converting guys who don't even know football.  Why take the hard road? Plus the TE group was very injury prone last year and it deeply hurt our offense.  

 

I've seen more than a handful of mocks that have TJ Hockensen dropping & the Colts grabbing him at 26. I know that'd be a headscratcher for a lot of fans, but that guy is a carbon copy of Gronk, & he'd immediately be the best TE on the Colts roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

I've seen more than a handful of mocks that have TJ Hockensen dropping & the Colts grabbing him at 26. I know that'd be a headscratcher for a lot of fans, but that guy is a carbon copy of Gronk, & he'd immediately be the best TE on the Colts roster.

 

If they draft this guy, the WR isn't such a need until later rounds.  A play-making TE in the mold of Gronk, along with Ebron and Doyle would take a lot of pressure off our WR corps and we could develop the young receivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

If they draft this guy, the WR isn't such a need until later rounds.  A play-making TE in the mold of Gronk, along with Ebron and Doyle would take a lot of pressure off our WR corps and we could develop the young receivers.

 

If the Colts were to draft Hockensen I wonder if Doyle's roster spot is jeopardized? He's had his struggles with injuries, is 29, & they'd save $5mil in 2019 by cutting him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

If the Colts were to draft Hockensen I wonder if Doyle's roster spot is jeopardized? He's had his struggles with injuries, is 29, & they'd save $5mil in 2019 by cutting him.

 

Interesting possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

I've seen more than a handful of mocks that have TJ Hockensen dropping & the Colts grabbing him at 26. I know that'd be a headscratcher for a lot of fans, but that guy is a carbon copy of Gronk, & he'd immediately be the best TE on the Colts roster.

I like your thinking!  I imagine it might be hard to pass up some of the excellent Defensive talent at that position, but man, a ready made TE monster would give us a three headed TE machine on offense that would be unmatched in the league.  I recall that the offense originally under the Pagano/Grigson regime was going to feature 2 TE sets and use the TE's all over the field.  It never seemed to pan out in reality, perhaps because we needed a MUCH better RB group than we ever had.  I think that is where the wheels started coming off leading to the disastrous Trent Richardson deal and frankly they never recovered.  Grigson seemed determined to prove his decision right (god, I hated those days, Ballard doesn't flinch to move on past a mistake) just making it worse and worse as we saw TR continue his 2.9 YPC tear.  I've heard there is depth at TE, so I wouldn't be surprised (or disappointed) if they found a lower profile guy who was a beast in round 3 instead and used the first 3 pics on Defense, but wherever it is, I sure would like a boost to the TE's.  Then the WR deficiency would be far less of a concern* (I've been saying this for a while, but noted that someone else just above also made this point, we simply agree independently).  Funchess may as well be a third TE on the field and I think they could do some wicked stuff.  

 

Perhaps you have a take on Funchess as a blocker? I haven't heard much about that in all the discussions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I like your thinking!  I imagine it might be hard to pass up some of the excellent Defensive talent at that position, but man, a ready made TE monster would give us a three headed TE machine on offense that would be unmatched in the league.  I recall that the offense originally under the Pagano/Grigson regime was going to feature 2 TE sets and use the TE's all over the field.  It never seemed to pan out in reality, perhaps because we needed a MUCH better RB group than we ever had.  I think that is where the wheels started coming off leading to the disastrous Trent Richardson deal and frankly they never recovered.  Grigson seemed determined to prove his decision right (god, I hated those days, Ballard doesn't flinch to move on past a mistake) just making it worse and worse as we saw TR continue his 2.9 YPC tear.  I've heard there is depth at TE, so I wouldn't be surprised (or disappointed) if they found a lower profile guy who was a beast in round 3 instead and used the first 3 pics on Defense, but wherever it is, I sure would like a boost to the TE's.  Then the WR deficiency would be far less of a concern* (I've been saying this for a while, but noted that someone else just above also made this point, we simply agree independently).  Funchess may as well be a third TE on the field and I think they could do some wicked stuff.  

 

Perhaps you have a take on Funchess as a blocker? I haven't heard much about that in all the discussions? 

 

From what I understand Funchess is a fantastic downfield blocker, & while conventional wisdom suggests that a guy his size would be on the outside, it wouldn't surprise me to see them move him around & get him some snaps in the slot where he'd be a huge mismatch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fountain will be breakout player

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

on the practice squad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 9:47 PM, BOTT said:

Fountain will be breakout player

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

on the practice squad

Man.. you got me before the scroll down... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Supe it's not an angle whatsoever, it's purely the truth.   I am, of course not talking about you, or what you do on this board in terms of evaluating players. I always enjoy hearing your take on players.   I am obviously talking about the people spewing bile on here after the loss to the Raiders, and every other loss for that matter. And a lot of that includes tripe about Jacoby Brissett that just goes way over the top.   We can disagree on Brissett, it's not really a big deal. And I apologize for quoting you in the other thread and giving you the impression I am including you in this. I'm really not. I quoted you because I would rather debate the topic with someone like yourself than get sucked into a flame war with some troll, which has happened to me a time or two. That's all. Me and you can have a somewhat interesting discussion. I always enjoy it.     
    • Nice thread...    There have been some arguments for a while now about the relative value of pass-coverage vs pass-rush. Teams offensively are turning to faster and faster game plans and this affects the pass-rush a ton. You can practically scheme the pass-rush away if you have good enough QB and receivers that get open quickly. The latest advanced analytics seem to favor positions like CB and WR value-wise over long-held champions like EDGE rushers or OTs. I will also take into account your characterization of the rest of the roster(average players as opposed to straight up trash). At some positions the improvement between pro-bowler and average/JAG is higher than at other positions. Those are just part of the considerations that will inform my choise here:   Offense:   1. QB: not controversial take here - most important position of all... he handles the ball and makes a decision that might affect the game pretty much 100% of the snaps. I want the best passer and decisionmaker to run my offense.    2. WR: yep, give me a beast of an X-receiver. Pass-catchers are incredibly important.   3. LT: Yeah, I know, this goes against some of the things I said above, but time and time again we see what a great LT does to an offensive line. Leremy Tunsil is not even that great and he almost single-handedly turned around the HOU OLine. Same with AC last year - we missed him mightily when he was injured to start the year and then turned the line into a great unit. And again - he's not even at the level we are talking here. He still has not had a pro-bowl or all-pro recognition(maybe he gets one this year, he deserves it). But yeah... give me Bakhtiari, give me Armstead, give me Tyron Smith level player... I think this raises the level of the whole O-Line, especially if it's filled with average players at the other positions(rather than horrible ones)   ------------------------------------ Those will be my selections offensively. I think a QB masks a lot of deficiencies and I think he elevates average players and squeezes everything out of most of them. Just look at what Luck used to do with players like Jack Doyle, Donte Moncrief, Eric Ebron, Inman, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen...    Defense:   4. CB: yep, I want a shut down corner. Like I said earlier, newest research shows pass-coverage and especially on the boundary is paramount. and it affects pass-rush more than pass-rush affects CB play.    5. CB: yep, give me one more... I'm shutting down both sides of the field and hoping this gives additional time to my pass-rush to get there. They will play on island and I will scheme out everything else(i.e. slot receivers and TEs)... if I have to I will double away from them.    6. WILL: I want a sideline to sideline monster to clean up the run game and take on crossing routes in the short-intermediate middle in coverage.     7. EDGE: I still want a player capable of beating his man one-on-one on the line and creating pressure/affecting the pass when my pro-bowl CBs lock down their match ups.    So what do you think? Does it make sense?     
    • 23: R1P23 DL JAVON KINLAW SOUTH CAROLINA   35: R2P3 QB JORDAN LOVE UTAH STATE   55: R2P23 OT CALVIN THROCKMORTON OREGON   87: R3P23 LB TROY DYE OREGON   129: R4P23 S J.R. REED GEORGIA   166: R5P22 G NICK HARRIS WASHINGTON   201: R6P23 CB ESSANG BASSEY WAKE FOREST   203: R6P25 WR MICHAEL PITTMAN JR. USC   236: R7P23 CB KINDLE VILDOR GEORGIA SOUTHERN
    • DE NT DT DE   LB   CB CB   Nobody is scoring on me. 
    • Don't be ridiculous   Darius Leonard was an All-Pro his rookie year. Okereke will have a hard time matching that.
  • Members

    • GoatBeard

      GoatBeard 604

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 1,398

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • colt18

      colt18 275

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 2,641

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IinD

      IinD 2,552

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Luck 4 president

      Luck 4 president 1,037

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...