Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Glazer on the Herd

Coltsfan0112

Belichick does the same, waits for first week of FA to settle. Gets what needs to be done "the most" first, whether it is a must have FA or must re-signing of own player. For example, when they felt they needed Hogan and Gilmore, they got both of them from the Bills.  But for the most part, they wait till the second or third week of FA to add mid-tier FAs that fit their team the best at good value.

• Like 2

I like what Ballard is doing and it's smart.  But I don't think you can really credit Ballard with being a trend setter in this department.  

The strategy is not really something new.  

Also I really don't think it's a case of Ballard just waiting around so much as it's a case of Ballard just refusing to overpay and it ends up looking like he's waiting by default since the first few days are when all the really huge (overpay) deals are happening.  

It sounds like Ballard was in negotiations with several big name players including Landon Collins.  It's just that the bidding just got too high and Ballard dropped out instead of overpaying.  

• Like 4

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

I like what Ballard is doing and it's smart.  But I don't think you can really credit Ballard with being a trend setter in this department.  

Agreed.

But when you have 100M+ and still don't spend, it emphasizes the strategy even more. It's now more noticeable.

Peter king was on Dan Patrick earlier this week and was asked about all the teams spending crazy money.  King said that never works and if you look it’s the same teams doing it all the time because they are poorly run.  He then said a smart team like the Colts will start spending when the crazy money stops.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Also I really don't think it's a case of Ballard just waiting around so much as it's a case of Ballard just refusing to overpay and it ends up looking like he's waiting by default since the first few days are when all the really huge (overpay) deals are happening.  

It sounds like Ballard was in negotiations with several big name players including Landon Collins.  It's just that the bidding just got too high and Ballard dropped out instead of overpaying.  

Let all the other teams break the bank, then once the 2nd wave of FA starts, there are only a couple of teams to compete with, therefore the bidding is way less aggressive, but there really isn't much of a dropoff in the value of the player. It's similar to trading back to acquire 2nd round picks as opposed to trading up to gain a few spots in the 1st round.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Like what?

The Patriots are hosting FA visits with WR's  Allen Baily, Bruce Ellington and Maurice Harris today.  They also tried to get Humphries to change his mind and sign with them before he signed with the Titans.  I would say that qualifies as being active. 

Given all of this is true, still the Colts may be only 1 or 2 play makers away forma SB contender and those play makers are not in the 2nd or 3rd wave.  Back up and depth maybe...   You don't have to go crazy, but if you have the chance to add a difference maker, that will up you team, maybe you should do it.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Patriots are hosting FA visits with WR's  Allen Baily, Bruce Ellington and Maurice Harris today.  They also tried to get Humphries to change his mind and sign with them before he signed with the Titans.  I would say that qualifies as being active. 

Did you mean to represent data for or against the Pats as active in free agency?  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They haven't signed anyone.    That's not being active.   The browns have been active

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They haven't signed anyone.    That's not being active.   The browns have been active

Active has nothing do to with signing players.  Active has to do with pursuing players.  And they are actively pursuing players.  Signing players is a direct result of being successful in your active pursuit of players.  

In some ways, it worked for the Broncos a couple of years ago when they had Peyton. It took two years, but they got a ring after signing Ware, Talib, Ward and Sanders. In some ways, the Browns current haul is similar in turns of potential impact.  

It's true. A lot of the teams that end up overpaying for decent to mediocre talent are teams that did poorly the previous season(s). 

What ends up happening is that a lot of these high priced players end up released from the team halfway through their deal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

In my opinion there isn’t that much difference between the guys that got all the money and the second tier players. It’s all about the coach and QB.

I was wondering something similar. Is it possible that they arent that much better, if at all, than the guys we currently have? Sure the big FA with massive deals, are really good. But we arent totally devoid of talent. We proved that. A couple of key pieces will certainly help get us to the promised land, and I believe Ballard will find those pieces.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 18to87 said:

In some ways, it worked for the Broncos a couple of years ago when they had Peyton. It took two years, but they got a ring after signing Ware, Talib, Ward and Sanders. In some ways, the Browns current haul is similar in turns of potential impact.  

Yeah... but now they suck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Active has nothing do to with signing players.  Active has to do with pursuing players.  And they are actively pursuing players.  Signing players is a direct result of being successful in your active pursuit of players.  

If that's the case then Ballard has been pretty active as well.  Reports came out that Indy contacted Justin Houston's agent not long after he was released.  Numerous reports indicated Indy had a lot of interest in Tyrell Williams.  Preston Smith reportedly came down to Indy and GB as his final 2 choices so Ballard was obviously pursuing Smith as well.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, J@son said:

If that's the case then Ballard has been pretty active as well.  Reports came out that Indy contacted Justin Houston's agent not long after he was released.  Numerous reports indicated Indy had a lot of interest in Tyrell Williams.  Preston Smith reportedly came down to Indy and GB as his final 2 choices so Ballard was obviously pursuing Smith as well.  

The Colts also were on the running for CJ Mosley and Landon Collins. I think our front office has probably thought of every scenario, and this is exactly what they thought would happen. The anticipation is killing me tho. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 12:53 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Let all the other teams break the bank, then once the 2nd wave of FA starts, there are only a couple of teams to compete with, therefore the bidding is way less aggressive, but there really isn't much of a dropoff in the value of the player. It's similar to trading back to acquire 2nd round picks as opposed to trading up to gain a few spots in the 1st round.

I think you are right when it comes to FA, but there ARE transcendent first rounders that can't be approximated later, and we have two: Luck and Nelson.  Both were can't miss guys and though we didn't trade up to get them, we certainly couldn't have traded down to get them.  But on the otherside in support of your point we have The Maniac... many people wanted the 1st round guy that went to the Bears who was also fantastic, but at the top of the 2nd was a player even better.  I think each year there's maybe 3 guys at the top of the draft that are worth going after hard, but then they are so compatible.. I wonder if there's a study of how many 2nd rounders make it compared to 1st rounders, to a second contract?  Same with later rounds.  That would be interesting.  

On 3/14/2019 at 11:39 AM, Flash7 said:

Agreed.

But when you have 100M+ and still don't spend, it emphasizes the strategy even more. It's now more noticeable.

That is true, but next years in house free agents will be a bit more on the expensive side AND there are more priority re-signs as well.