Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

csmopar

FA Agency Day 2 and beyond.

Cleveland fans probably have not had this much excitement in years. They will be fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

That's what it means. It's a difference maker...someone that commands attention and can change the game with one play.

That argument concerning Geathers is kind of funny to me because it's not like it's a whole bunch of playmakers just running around the league at SS. Guys who are good in coverage, can stop the run and make plays on the football.  I can only name a few guys.  Most teams don't have superstar at SS, it's usually a guy like Geathers that is the norm at that spot. .

1 minute ago, krunk said:

That argument concerning Geathers is kind of funny to me because it's not like it's a whole bunch of playmakers just running around the league at SS.  I can only name a few guys.  Most teams don't have superstar at SS.

Nobody is asking him to be a superstar or an elite player. The argument for me is that he's an average player that provides nothing outside of tackles, when he is on the field. Someone that I hope we move on from

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Nobody is asking him to be a superstar or an elite player. The argument for me is that he's an average player that provides nothing outside of tackles, when he is on the field. Someone that I hope we move on from

what is a SS supposed to do? hes suppose to make tackles and help in run support. 

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

what is a SS supposed to do? hes suppose to make tackles and help in run support. 

Sure. So if that’s all he does and nothing more and I can find some who also provides help in other areas besides tackles then give me that other player. All Im saying. 

Sure. So if that’s all he does and nothing more and I can find some who also provides help in other areas besides tackles then give me that other player. All Im saying. 

help in what? you think kam chancellor was in coverage more then playing in the box?

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

help in what? you think kam chancellor was in coverage more then playing in the box?

Don’t know which he did more, but I know he impacted the game far more. 

Don’t know which he did more, but I know he impacted the game far more. 

by knocking someone out. thats a flag now 

Just now, CR91 said:

by knocking someone out. thats a flag now 

No, with PD, INT,FF'S etc......but It's obvious that you're going to continue to ignore the point I am making so we can end the convo

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

No, with PD, INT,FF'S etc......but It's obvious that you're going to continue to ignore the point I am making so we can end the convo

all im saying is you can have an impact by doing your job.

There are very few play makers in this league. That’s why when you get one on your team you better keep them.

I agree there is something to be said about when you do your job well. To me your making a impact. 

Championships aren't won in March, I would love to see us get 1 or 2 big names but if it doesn't happen, oh well. I look for results = we went 10-6 and won a playoff game, made the final 8 this past season. I expect us to win 10 again, perhaps 11 but get to the final 4 come this upcoming season. If we don't then complaining should definitely happen. We can't go backwards now like we did the Grigson era. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

And Duke's a better RB than both White and Hines.

I think we need to wait to make that judgment. Hines did quite well for his rookie year. If you look at his stats compared to Duke's rookie year they are very similar. 

22 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

This is around the time we will begin to get involved.

When the market is starting to result in people signing 1 year "prove it" deals and "at" or "below" market values as the spending cools.

Would have liked Clinton-Dix but there are still a handful of good Safeties out there

25 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

I thought Ballard would be all over this. Makes me think he must have Geathers contract in the works

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

I thought Ballard would be all over this. Makes me think he must have Geathers contract in the works

Yeah that looks like it might be the case

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

That's exactly why you would want to keep him. Having a sure tackler on the back end is a must and bonus points if he is a bruiser. How often have our defense been plagued by poor tackling. The best weve been is when Bob Sanders was out there laying the wood.

Now he is no more than a role player (dime linebacker), shouldnt command anywhere near top money, and the position should have another body there that is better in coverage. Sure tacklers are always needed though. He should be retained to continue his role though. Not a starter but a quality role player.

4 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don't hate Geathers, in fact I think he's pretty decent, but if we're calling him an impact player then I think we're using that term pretty loosely.

When you look at this secondary when he and Hooker were not back there you saw a huge difference in the effectiveness of this defense when both are back there and the front is getting a lot of pressure this defense was capable of beating any team that got put in front of them. Now this secondary got expose a bit when they couldn't get to the quarterback which at time made the defensive backfield look worst than what it actually is. I hate to break this to people while I agree Geathers isn't a superstar talent he is an important member of this secondary. 

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did you see the video of him visiting Carr at his house. They looked liked best buds. It was kind of odd with the bad reputation he has going around.

Who is the reputation coming from? This is the question and why? All of his other teammates not named Ben seems to enjoy him.

1 hour ago, Virtuoso80 said:

I think I read where Ballard said he was offering Gaethers a deal similar to the one he offered Mewhort last year.  Which was a one year prove it deal.  If true I would expect he will decide to sign pretty quickly now.  

I don't mind if Geathers comes back at all.  However I do predict we will draft a safety who will do similar roles as Geathers did in his rookie year.

Would Geathers take a one year deal? I would think only if someone else was not offering a multiple year deal. With his injury history I would not blame him for taking a multi year deal. I guess though that one year deal could be pretty big money.

49 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

Rumors are Houston to Steelers 

How are the Steelers going to sign him before they signed the three players they signed this morning they only had 6.5 million in cap space one of those players they paid almost 3 million I don't think they showed what they paid the other two.

4 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Kind of surprising. I would have thought at this stage of his career he'd hold out for a contender, not a rebuild.

Specs on the Tate deal. Basically got what all the other slots got (ala Humphries, Beasley, Crowder, etc)

Got a bit more in guarantees. I would have happily paid that but I am biased and wanted Tate despite him being 30 going on 31 lol

I see the Steelers are talking to Houston, but I haven't seen where they were close to signing.

5 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Specs on the Tate deal. Basically got what all the other slots got (ala Humphries, Beasley, etc)

Got a bit more in guarantees. I would have happily paid that but I am biased and wanted Tate despite him being 30 going on 31 lol

Baffling!   Do the Giants know what they are doing?  

16 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Specs on the Tate deal. Basically got what all the other slots got (ala Humphries, Beasley, Crowder, etc)

I was interested in Tate at 2-years...  maybe 3, but that would be the Max.  At 4-years I’d be out of the discussion.   Especially at nearly 60 percent guaranteed!    Yikes!

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

All you have to do is look at stats hell Kam has WAY more PDs and FF and INT. I've said it before he's useless in coverage. We need a SS that can cover TEs and underneath passes to WRs so we dont get destroyed again this year. But like some have said the forum has a huge man crush on Geathers. Prolly one of the most overrated Colts.

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Yeah that looks like it might be the case

Hopefully he takes one of the studs in the draft. Geathers needs to be a back up 

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

All you have to do is look at stats hell Kam has WAY more PDs and FF and INT. I've said it before he's useless in coverage. We need a SS that can cover TEs and underneath passes to WRs so we dont get destroyed again this year. But like some have said the forum has a huge man crush on Geathers. Prolly one of the most overrated Colts.

because we don't play him in coverage. jesus chirst you guys don't get it. You want us to put geathers in deep cover 2 zone instead of playing in the box to his strength?

49 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Who is the reputation coming from? This is the question and why? All of his other teammates not named Ben seems to enjoy him.

The Steelers traded a player they just signed to an enormous contract.    And Brown was still such an enormous jerk that (A) the Browns still traded him despite (B) a huge dead cap salary hit and (c) getting pennies on the dollar in draft pick return.

If ALL THAT doesn’t tell you that the problems with Brown are far more than with just Ben Roethlisberger, then I don’t know what will?

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Baffling!   Do the Giants know what they are doing?  

I am not saying I agree with this at all, but I did see an article which said in so many words that the Giants went from:

"Hey we can compete now"

- Drafted Barkley to help an aging Eli

- Invested in OL to protect aging Eli and run ball better (signed Solder, drafted Hernandez)

- Paid OBJ to prevent distraction and lock him in and make him happy

to realizing

"Wow, we are not close to competing. We truly need to rebuild"

This article mentioned that the moment it became clear they really must rebuild it made all the sense in the world to trade OBJ. If they are going to draft their QB of the future (and use Eli as a bridge), their management did not want that young QB having to deal w OBJ in his ear demanding the ball and being ticked off about the rebuild and them not winning/competing.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with this. I'd rather have a weapon like OBJ for my young QB to develop with, but if that was the logic and thought process then I get it.

Giants turn around and get Zeitler to further beef up their OL and now with grabbing Tate they still have some weapons.

If they take a new QB in the draft he at least has Saquon, Engram, Shepherd and Tate to throw to.

The question really amount to:

Would you trade OBJ (@ $18M a year)

for

1st Rd pick

3rd Rd pick

J. Peppers

G. Tate (@$9M a year)

when you lay it all out like that, it makes a bit more sense. I still would not have done it, but man it sounds like their entire management was just done with him and realized it too late. They should have moved him before his extension last year when they could have made a killing on dealing him.