Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FA Agency Day 2 and beyond.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I think people are bit too tough on Gettleman. I think he says some stuff that makes him sound antiquated and stubborn...and I thought he should have drafted a QB last year. But I understood the Barkley approach...as he would help them win now (if they caught lightning in a bottle for a final run with Eli) or he would play a big role for a rookie QB as he develop.

Yeah, I'm not saying I agree with everything he's done, and drafting Barkley is the biggest example. But, IMO, there's a lot of overreaction lately, and not enough real analysis. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Gettleman  said the other day Haskins doesn’t fit their team. Have no idea why he would say that.

Interesting...I didn't see that. I saw the report of him and Engram working out together.

Scratch that. Sounds like unless Murray slips (he won't)...an early QB won't be on their list. I imagine they haven't given up on Lauletta either.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Interesting...I didn't see that. I saw the report of him and Engram working out together.

Scratch that. Sounds like unless Murray slips (he won't)...an early QB won't be on their list. I imagine they haven't given up on Lauletta either.

The giants could trade up plus he could fall to the giants pick imo hes not an Andrew Luck type prospect 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Why? I hope he goes around and finds his market(which IMO is not super strong) and comes back to us on a reasonable contract. 

If it's as depth that's fine but I don't want him starting anymore 

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Here I am hoping they pay geathers so we dont have to lol

If they don't pay Geathers...doesn't sound like any other teams are willing to (including the Colts). Ballard has played this one correctly. Unless he just unnecessarily feels the need to overpay Geathers...he should be able to get him back for cheap...maybe even something like Haha just  signed. And that would have little bearing on their draft approach I think.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The giants could trade up plus he could fall to the giants pick imo hes not an Andrew Luck type prospect 

If it's as depth that's fine but I don't want him starting anymore 

why? his only knock is really his health.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

If they don't pay Geathers...doesn't sound like any other teams are willing to (including the Colts). Ballard has played this one correctly. Unless he just unnecessarily feels the need to overpay Geathers...he should be able to get him back for cheap...maybe even something like Haha just  signed. And that would have little bearing on their draft approach I think.

The way I see it pretty much all the top S prospects will more than likely be available at 26 or even 34 so I wouldnt stress over getting geathers or if he walks 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

His stats other than tackles is pretty worthless prolly could get the same production from an UDFA

Isn’t that what a SS is supposed to go.

As long as we can get s good one in the draft that can play right away without hurting our team whatever happens with Geathers is fine with me. Maybe we will get our own Landon Collins.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Isn’t that what a SS is supposed to go.

Primary responsibility for any player in the secondary is pass coverage. That's Geathers' weak spot.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Plus I suspect we draft a safety with a second round pick no matter what happens.

That's become the prevailing expectation, and I think I agree. With the way the draft class is shaping up, it's hard to imagine the Colts not coming out of the first three rounds with a safety and a receiver.

• Like 3

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/18/buccaneers-sign-kentrell-brice/

Most should be happy... We can cross Kentrell Brice off the list.

The Buccaneers have signed their third free agent defender of the offseason.

Safety Kentrell Brice is the latest addition to the club. He joins linebackers Shaquil Barrett and Deone Bucannon as newcomers to the defense.

Brice also drew interest from the Texans and Colts after not being tendered by the Packers as a restricted free agent...

24 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

In all honesty Geathers isnt much better than that Kentrell Brice guy everyone is bashing he's just loved here for some reason it's kinda funny 

Well he did once tackle Demarco Murray on 4th down to seal a win against TEN back in 2016. 

Just now, shastamasta said:

Well he did once tackle Demarco Murray on 4th down to seal a win against TEN back in 2016. 

Sure but he still isnt much better than that other dude if you compare them and everyone was treating that guy like crap on here 

33 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t see a receiver they early. Not when we have three on rookie contracts and Just signed Funchess. We need to see what the young guys can do. We really don’t have room for another one.

A box safety is supposed to help stop the run. Landon Collins is also weak in coverage because that isn’t his job.

We have plenty of room for a receiver. Deon Cain is a question mark, Fountain isn't going to affect draft strategy, Rogers isn't a factor either. Behind Hilton, there's Funchess (who still has a lot to prove), and a bunch of ????

And we have five picks between 25-135, as it stands now. Pretty much any scouting site online has between 12-15 receivers ranked in that range. It's kind of a situation where if you throw a dart, you have a strong chance of landing on a receiver. 

We disagree on the job of a safety. "Box safety" is a misnomer; if you have a box safety, he's just a glorified linebacker. And even linebackers are responsible for playing coverage, including in our zone heavy defense (rewatch the Chiefs playoff game if you want to see how our defense is affected by bad LB coverage). 

A strong safety lines up on the strong side of the formation, usually against a TE or a slot receiver. They need to be able to cover. Collins is weak in coverage, and it's the primary reason I wasn't interested in signing him, or drafting him four years ago. He has value, and that's fine, but a safety who can't cover is a liability in any defense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

In all honesty Geathers isnt much better than that Kentrell Brice guy everyone is bashing he's just loved here for some reason it's kinda funny 

We love our average to below average plays here. John Simon, Geathers, Dorsett, and Geathers

• Like 1

Quite honestly there isn't a current FA out there that I could get excited about.  The older name guys, the younger injured guys and the combination of the two.  Everyone said is was a poor FA class to begin with so I can't get excited about what players are left to pick over?  I am hoping the trade rumors bear fruit even if it means only acquiring another pick.   At least it would be a young player we get to choose.  Right now it's pretty much up to Ballard hitting the draft again IMO. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

We have plenty of room for a receiver. Deon Cain is a question mark, Fountain isn't going to affect draft strategy, Rogers isn't a factor either. Behind Hilton, there's Funchess (who still has a lot to prove), and a bunch of ????

And we have five picks between 25-135, as it stands now. Pretty much any scouting site online has between 12-15 receivers ranked in that range. It's kind of a situation where if you throw a dart, you have a strong chance of landing on a receiver. 

We disagree on the job of a safety. "Box safety" is a misnomer; if you have a box safety, he's just a glorified linebacker. And even linebackers are responsible for playing coverage, including in our zone heavy defense (rewatch the Chiefs playoff game if you want to see how our defense is affected by bad LB coverage). 

A strong safety lines up on the strong side of the formation, usually against a TE or a slot receiver. They need to be able to cover. Collins is weak in coverage, and it's the primary reason I wasn't interested in signing him, or drafting him four years ago. He has value, and that's fine, but a safety who can't cover is a liability in any defense.

I think people expect to much from rookie WR. Unless one of the studs falls to us your just going to get the same receiver we already have in Johnson and fountain and maybe Cain.  Let the young guys develop and see what we have.

33 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

In all honesty,  there isn’t an ounce of truth in this post.   Not one.

Props to you for being brave enough to post an unpopular opinion.   But it’s also flat out wrong.

Completely, totally, absolutely wrong.

Wow.....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think people expect to much from rookie WR. Unless one of the studs falls to us your just going to get the same receiver we already have in Johnson and fountain and maybe Cain.  Let the young guys develop and see what we have.

It doesn't take a whole lot to outproduce Rogers and Grant from last year. And if the young guys earn it, they get the nod, but none of them are promising enough that we would pass on the guys in this year's draft.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In all honesty,  there isn’t an ounce of truth in this post.   Not one.

Props to you for being brave enough to post an unpopular opinion.   But it’s also flat out wrong.

Completely, totally, absolutely wrong.

Wow.....

Go take a look at the stats you will be surprised how close they are talent wise 

Just now, Shepman said:

Some stats maybe but missed tackles, yards allowed, drops and fumbles say a lot about a player.

Hard for a player to allow yards when hes playing in the box the majority of the time and what does drops have to do with a safety?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Stats mean very little

In that case, we can sell Jacoby Brissett as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning...because statistically, Brady's rings and Manning's gaudy all-time passing numbers mean very little. Generally speaking, statistics mean almost everything.  Take an extremely talented player that gets drafted to a horrendous team...is he any less skilled/talented because he's on that team? No. However, because that team is devoid of talent, he inherently suffers statistically, and he's out of the league in a few years. 

3 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

In that case, we can sell Jacoby Brissett as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning...because statistically, Brady's rings and Manning's gaudy all-time passing numbers mean very little. Generally speaking, statistics mean almost everything.  Take an extremely talented player that gets drafted to a horrendous team...is he any less skilled/talented because he's on that team? No. However, because that team is devoid of talent, he inherently suffers statistically, and he's out of the league in a few years. 

So statically speaking, Peyton is one of the worst playoff QBs ever? Statically speaking, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are better then Dan Marino? They have more rings. Is Dede Dorsey better then Barry Sanders? He is more rings then Barry 

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So statically speaking, Peyton is one of the worst playoff QBs ever? 

I love Peyton Manning, like I'd probably marry the dude, but let's face it...there were several years that he choked. For as talented as he obviously was, a fair argument can be made that he underachieved in the postseason. I'm not sure what statistics would lend to him being one of the worst ever, but I'm sure you're gonna inform me lol.