Indianapolis Colts

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I hope he gets the safety position solidified soon. It is a mess. 

True.
 All we have so far is:
 the 14th rated safety
 Farley a slightly above average safety

A 2nd year player with lots of physical tools that needs a lot of work.
 Bet you didn't see Moore playing cover 2 safety against KC.
 Maybe Eberflus gets J Allen in on some safety snaps in passing downs.
  They are way ahead of US Booboo.
  And at LEAST more FA and the draft.   What a MESS!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Lol... and here we go again... I don't get why people don't get this. Don't look at the thing his agent is putting out there. Look at the details of the contract. 

Williams' contract is NOT 4 years guaranteed. It's the team that gets the benefit of the 4 years, NOT the player, because nothing past the first year is guaranteed. They can cut him sometime in February  next year and he would get only his first 11M and not a cent more. This is essentially a 1 year deal, but with the added bonus for the team that if THEY(the team) like the value, they can keep him for the rest of the contract and if they don't like the value they can cut him for nothing. If the player doesn't like the value he cannot do anything. The team can play the perfect free agency game here - it's all upside for them coming from the contract being structured like that and being 4 years rather than 1. And all the downside is for the player. If the player plays well and to the level of his contract or above, the team simply keeps him, if the player plays under the contract value, the team cuts him and loses nothing.

This is what I wanted us to do with Funchess. Precisely this. The 2nd to 4th years are ENTIRELY for the team's benefit. 

Let me give you the example with Funchess... Lets say we could have had either his current contract or the one that Oakland gave to Williams.

Case 1: Funchess kills it and looks like a pro-bowler/all-pro

-if he's under his current contract: he enters FA and we either lose him or we have to give him 18M a year

-if he's under Williams' contract: he cannot leave - we just keep him under his 11M a year contract

Case 2: Funchess is bad and doesn't deserve his contract

-if he's under his current contract: we let him go as unsuccessful FA signing

-if he's under Williams' contract: we cut him and let him go as unsuccessful FA signing

In case 2 the outcome is the same for either contract

In case 1 you get 2 advantages from signing him to longer contract:

-he cannot leave

-he gets about 7-8M less in salary for the next 3 years than he would have gotten if you signed him to a short contract and then had to give him new one to keep him.

Funchess says he won't sign for more than one year. We pass.
 Now we are looking at the next man up, John Brown, but we don't like him.
  Then i went back and rad prior posts.
 Sorry this debare seems over.  For Now!  :catfight:  :funny:

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What are the chances a safety in the draft will come on and be a starter right away? IDK. I would like to know what is going on with Geathers. Maybe he is visiting some teams and getting a physical. I hope the colts already have a offer on the table. Right now we have Hooker. That is it.

You mean like Hooker did? Oh, about 80%.

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

True. I just seems right now that position is up in the air the most out of any position.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

True. I just seems right now that position is up in the air the most out of any position.

We have Hooker that’s a great start. He wasn’t able to go vs KC  last year. A reminder for those who believe the Chiefs are so much better then we are. 

I think we plan to add to this group via the draft. As of now we have Farley who I think is underrated The guy seems to make his presence felt when he’s on the field. Odum showed as an UDFA rookie he has potential and should improve with more time.  Geathers could still be back as well. 

If we do want to add a guy in FA I like Boston. The guy takes the ball away and I believe we showed some interest last off season. Brice has been to town. There will be other options as rosters shuffle. It’s a bit early to be overly concerned 

I am curious, in general, how many of our fans thought the S position was a mess last year?

Because I actually thought they did a heck of a job when considering the crazy amount of injuries sustained.

Geathers, Hooker and Farley all missed games. Odum stepped in and got some decent learning experience and Mike Mitchell patched the unit up in some tough times.

Of those five guys, at least 3 are coming back in Hooker, Odum and Farley (unless someone signs Farley and we choose not to match which I consider unlikely).

Mitchell was a nice short term patch, but there are guys like him on the wire often. Losing him won't be a massive loss.

If Geathers is brought back (big IF), we would basically be starting this year heading into the draft w the same cast as last year. I was OK w them then and am OK w them now, if so.

I think the reason this becomes a bigger deal is because there were sooooo many starting caliber safeties out there and we didn't get any of them (yet).

Amongst the remaining safeties I'd welcome Geathers back. But there are still options:

E.Berry (unlikely but a guy can dream)

C.Geathers

T.Boston (unlikely if only because of how his visit went last year)

G.Quinn

J.Addae

D.Stewart

I would rather not spend an early pick in the draft on a S unless some great value falls in our laps. But crazier things have happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Or Jamal Adams, Derwin James, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jessie Bates, Justin Reid...

• Thanks 1

Off topic but am I the only one who noticed this thread is called ‘free agency agency’?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Or Jamal Adams, Derwin James, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jessie Bates, Justin Reid...

Heck the colts got veterans Mike Adams and Dwight Lowery and they came in and did fine for a few years 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Off topic but am I the only one who noticed this thread is called ‘free agency agency’?

Ha no you arent.

9 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

I am curious, in general, how many of our fans thought the S position was a mess last year?

Because I actually thought they did a heck of a job when considering the crazy amount of injuries sustained.

Geathers, Hooker and Farley all missed games. Odum stepped in and got some decent learning experience and Mike Mitchell patched the unit up in some tough times.

Of those five guys, at least 3 are coming back in Hooker, Odum and Farley (unless someone signs Farley and we choose not to match which I consider unlikely).

Mitchell was a nice short term patch, but there are guys like him on the wire often. Losing him won't be a massive loss.

If Geathers is brought back (big IF), we would basically be starting this year heading into the draft w the same cast as last year. I was OK w them then and am OK w them now, if so.

I think the reason this becomes a bigger deal is because there were sooooo many starting caliber safeties out there and we didn't get any of them (yet).

Amongst the remaining safeties I'd welcome Geathers back. But there are still options:

C.Geathers

G.Quinn

J.Addae

D.Stewart

I would rather not spend an early pick in the draft on a S unless some great value falls in our laps. But crazier things have happened.

Interesting. But i hope Ballard continues to build with young players and a higher draft pick at S makes great sense. Crazy. Actually yes, not to.

10 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

C.Geathers

G.Quinn

J.Addae

D.Stewart

I think we had a solid SS position last year with Clayton and Mike Mitchell. In fact I thought the position was our best 2-deep position on the roster. I'd be happy if we can get either or both back on reasonable contracts. On the other hand, if we lose both and cannot replace them with another starting level safety, I think drafting one becomes somewhat of a priority. If we bring only one of them back we should still be looking at drafting and developing another safety behind him(or alongside him and Hooker in sub-packages) in case Geathers injuries continue to pop up and plague him. I don't think Odum is the solution. He's OK for depth, but I wouldn't rely on him to start if I want to compete at the highest level. 

3 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Anyone else notice so far that every team in our division seems to have gotten better through Free agency...Can the same be said for the Colts?

There hasn’t been one game yet. Can’t judge how good a team is on paper.

28 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Anyone else notice so far that every team in our division seems to have gotten worse through Free agency...Can the same be said for the Colts?

Fixed.

Jacksonville's a hot mess, releasing a ton of players for cap reasons.

Tennessee acquired Tannehill, Adam Humphries, hardly players to fear.

Houston - gained Tashaun Gipson, Bradley Roby, lost Kareem Jackson and Tyrann Mathieu. Just spend 17+ million to franchise Clowney, leading to a fun offseason next year with his next contract projections.

None of those moves to remotely lose sleep over.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Anyone else notice so far that every team in our division seems to have gotten better through Free agency...Can the same be said for the Colts?

I haven’t seen the Other AFC South Teams Stronger

• Like 1

Ballard is laughing right now. All he has to do is nail the draft and sign someone like CJ Anderson for a bruiser back and Suh or Houston and we are a SB contender and he spends hardly no money again. We have 9 draft picks. The Jags spent on a ton on free agency last season and most had them winning the SB. They went 5-11 :funny:

Not a fan of this unless its just depth

26 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Yeah the Jags got much better last season through free agency :sarcasm:

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the Jags got much better last season through free agency :sarcasm:

On Paper they did but that Pesky Field  and JR’s Mouth got in the way

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Texans biggest move was getting Bradley Roby

Titans traded for tannerhill

Jags signed Foles with zero wrs

How is that better?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I hope that is just for depth. Not impressed reading his wiki page.

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Depth, competition, special teams.

34 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Fixed.

Jacksonville's a hot mess, releasing a ton of players for cap reasons.

Tennessee acquired Tannehill, Adam Humphries, hardly players to fear.

Houston - gained Tashaun Gipson, Bradley Roby, lost Kareem Jackson and Tyrann Mathieu. Just spend 17+ million to franchise Clowney, leading to a fun offseason next year with his next contract projections.

None of those moves to remotely lose sleep over.

To be fair...JAC got an actual QB. Pretty safe to say they will be an improved team next year...regardless of which overpaid vets they released. 

3 things that can make a player better are change of scenery, coaching staff and scheme.

Brice could flourish if he comes to Indy. We don’t know.

we would still draft a safety somewhere between Rounds 1-4.

I say sign him. Low Risk, High Reward.

2 minutes ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

3 things that can make a player better are change of scenery, coaching staff and scheme.

Brice could flourish if he comes to Indy. We don’t know.

we would still draft a safety somewhere between Rounds 1-4.

I say sign him. Low Risk, High Reward.

He played last year coming off an injury too

If this Brice guy is for STs then fine but this dude I'm hoping wont stop us from looking at a S in the draft.

IF Brissett has a chance to be a starter I bet Ballard is ok with letting him chose his team after next season then getting a 3rd or 4th round pick.  

Yes but I don’t know about taking him with a heart condition. I guess it would depend.

• Like 1

Just looking at top remaining FA...

Justin Houston - not a perfect fit for our scheme but would be a good mentor and is a bloody good player.
Ndamukong Suh - Still my top remaining target. Donald credited Suh with taking a lot of pressure and allowing him to get to the QB.
Morris Claiborne - Think we could get him on a cheap one or two year deal. 29 years old. Has impressed in previous years. 14 passes broken up last year.
Jamie Collins - Similar to Ebron/Funchess -  a high draft pick that hasn't quite panned out. Played well at times for both Patriots and Browns.
Bashaud Breeland - Other than last year, has been durable. Was coming off a career year in 2017. Last contract with Packers was on the NFL Vet minimum.

I think these are all guys we could get for relatively cheap and would make a good difference to our team for this year and maybe the next aswell.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023042/article/combine-tests-reveal-montez-sweat-has-heart-condition

It seems like the condition is not as serious as the one Hurst was diagnosed with last year:

In the past, combine doctors have prevented players from participating because of health concerns, including sending one player home this year. Ultimately, the combine deemed his condition low-risk and cleared Sweat to participate.

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If he falls in the draft somebody will get a steal.

His talent is elite. If he falls to 26 and is fully cleared by our doctors, I'd take him 9 times out of 10. Most of the time, no one available would be close to matching the need and talent he provides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Here's a Colts rumor:

Corners of team HQ? Or Corners the position? :mindblow:

• Like 1