Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

In the interest of fairness I’m not sure any GM has signed anyone to a 2-year fully guaranteed contract.   It just isn’t done.   I think the Cousins deal was the first multiyear fully guaranteed deal.  

 

If im wrong I’m sure someone will come along and correct me.    As for the three top players you mentioned...  we definitely offered big, big money including plenty of guaranteed money. It just wasn’t enough.   That’s Ballard’s discipline on full display...

 

 

I meant that 2 years of the long-term deal were guaranteed. The actual contract length would be longer and have non-guaranteed years. Cousins is the only one who got his whole contract guaranteed on multi-year deal, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Was it coincidence that Tannehill was also traded today?

 

The connection to trading Tannelhill today was that Bridgewater turned them down yesterday.

 

Odds are Miami is now drafting a QB in R1.

8 minutes ago, Finball said:

 

I meant that 2 years of the long-term deal were guaranteed. The actual contract length would be longer and have non-guaranteed years. Cousins is the only one who got his whole contract guaranteed on multi-year deal, yes.

 

Yes,  I understood your meaning.   Thanks.    Appreciate it.

 

 

Late Edit:   Apologies to all.   I accidentally turned responding to two posters into one long response.    This was unintentional.     My bad!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Was it coincidence that Tannehill was also traded today?

 

Maybe. Maybe Miami contacted us, and Ballard wanted to have a second check down on the QB’s in draft before deciding. Maybe he didn’t feel encouraged by that update and turn the deal down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I've never heard of these guys either.   But the speculation of drafting a rookie to replace JB makes no sense.    You can't espect a rookie to step in and win in the NFL.

 

So, if we trade JB in the next two weeks, as I hope we can,  then I'd think we want a proven veteran back-up like we had with Hasselback.    And the FA veterans who fit that description are Josh McNoun,  Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mike Glennon.    I'd be happy with any of those three to replace JB if we eventually trade him.

Bortles. :headspin:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know who this is. This same thread was putting it out there the colts may have asked about a Oakland first round pick.

 

 

 

Sounds pretty legit...and makes too much sense. Need to get Luck's backup now so he can learn the system and be in place for the next few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I've never heard of these guys either.   But the speculation of drafting a rookie to replace JB makes no sense.    You can't espect a rookie to step in and win in the NFL.

 

So, if we trade JB in the next two weeks, as I hope we can,  then I'd think we want a proven veteran back-up like we had with Hasselback.    And the FA veterans who fit that description are Josh McNoun,  Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mike Glennon.    I'd be happy with any of those three to replace JB if we eventually trade him.


Yeah we'd definitely need a backup, or at least IMO. 

I just wouldn't be surprised if Ballard wanted to develop a young QB(s). He seems very cautious like that, plus we have Reich to help in that development. I could see us spending a 6th, or even a 5th if we potentially pick up another pick in the draft, on a QB he might really like. Although a 5th may be pushing it.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Miami would be smarter to try and get Rosen then Brissett.

Wasnt there some connection between Brissett and the Coach in Miami?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

That doesn't upgrade the position...or cover for Mitchell leaving. I can only speculate on the upgrade part...cause that is my opinion. But I can't just can't see any way they would rely on both Geathers and Farley to stay healthy all year.

 

Ballard said they were going to try to get Geathers resigned for no reason huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Raiders also have pick 35 in the 2nd. Rd.  

 

Heard Mike Mayock on NFL Radio this morning.

 

Said (smartly) that they view pick 35 as another 1st round pick.    Just as I'm sure we view pick 34 as another 1st round pick.    Both teams will be drafting a player from the top-32 on their board.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we will take a safety in the draft since we made no moves on the big names. I am really concerned with that position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I've never heard of these guys either.   But the speculation of drafting a rookie to replace JB makes no sense.    You can't espect a rookie to step in and win in the NFL.

 

So, if we trade JB in the next two weeks, as I hope we can,  then I'd think we want a proven veteran back-up like we had with Hasselback.    And the FA veterans who fit that description are Josh McNoun,  Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mike Glennon.    I'd be happy with any of those three to replace JB if we eventually trade him.

 

Makes perfect sense. Can't just keep rotating out vets. Develop a legit backup for Luck who can be in the system for a few years. NE did this with Jimmy G. And also drafted Brissett when they thought they knew they would be getting rid of one of Brady or Jimmy G. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Wasnt there some connection between Brissett and the Coach in Miami?

I sort of remember the same thing.  Out of the two the Dolphins would seem to make more sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ballard said they were going to try to get Geathers resigned for no reason huh?

 

Geathers re-signing doesn't automatically preclude a FA pickup I don't think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

 

 

It's happening. This will be fun to watch. Been a while since the Colts traded a player.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Makes perfect sense. Can't just keep rotating out vets. Develop a legit backup for Luck who can be in the system for a few years. NE did this with Jimmy G. And also drafted Brissett when they thought they knew they would be getting rid of one of Brady or Jimmy G. 

I can see the thinking on drafting a young QB.  They wouldn't have to pay a big contract for a Vet.  It would be a gamble that Bellicheck wasn't afraid to take the risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

 

Makes perfect sense. Can't just keep rotating out vets. Develop a legit backup for Luck who can be in the system for a few years. NE did this with Jimmy G. And also drafted Brissett when they thought they knew they would be getting rid of one of Brady or Jimmy G. 

 

Sorry.   But no.  

 

NE didn't try to develop Jimmy G as a back-up.     He was supposed to eventually replace Brady.   He was drafted in the 2nd round to be the future starter, not a back-up.

 

And while we're developing this late round draft pick as a rookie,  he's not the back-up on the 53.   He likely would be on the PS.    He can't be the back-up in 19,  he'll be too busy learning where the cafeteria and bathrooms are. 

 

As for "can't keep rotating out vets"....   since when?    Where is that written?    Whose law or rule is that?     Are you going to try and argue the Hasselbeck years were not well spent?    Come on now.   You could rotoate in a new veteran back-up every two years for as long as you wanted.   That's the beauty of a veteran back-up.   They can figure things out pretty quickly,  where a rookie,  typically can't.

 

Your attempts to make a JB deal for a Day 2 pick are getting carried away here....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Miami has a good player we would want I would be ok trading a player for him and not a draft pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:


Yeah we'd definitely need a backup, or at least IMO. 

I just wouldn't be surprised if Ballard wanted to develop a young QB(s). He seems very cautious like that, plus we have Reich to help in that development. I could see us spending a 6th, or even a 5th if we potentially pick up another pick in the draft, on a QB he might really like.

 

Although a 5th may be pushing it. Not to mention we wouldn't keep 3 QB's o a roster and it'd be risky to keep a draft pick on the P.S...Yeah, I dunno, I'm shooting holes in my own logic.

 

If they get back a legit pick for Brissett...I don't think they would have any issue using even an early Day 3 pick if they really liked someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

 

If I'm reading correctly, that article is from a month ago and all based off a speculative Chad Forbes tweet.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we trade Jacoby I want to see what we get because Ballard said he'd have to be "Blown Away" by the offer. Blown Away means we get a nice little pickup from the trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

It's happening. This will be fun to watch. Been a while since the Colts traded a player.

 

 

Tell me....    did Richard Pallo hack your account?

 

It's hard to tell the difference between you two here....

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

If I'm reading correctly, that article is from a month ago and all based off a speculative Chad Forbes tweet.

I mainly posted it because someone asked about the ties Brissett had with Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Wasnt there some connection between Brissett and the Coach in Miami?

 

Both Miami's HC and GM came from New England where Brissett started his NFL career.

 

Also,  and perhaps importantly,  JB comes with a very big endorsement from Bill Parcels,  who was coached both NE and Miami in his career and is a big fan of JB.    All those are the connections you're talking about.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shastamasta said:

 

It's happening. This will be fun to watch. Been a while since the Colts traded a player.

 Did you see his recommended trade with the Colts? The 13th to the Colts for 26, Brissett and a 2nd. rounder.   Interesting. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Heard Mike Mayock on NFL Radio this morning.

 

Said (smartly) that they view pick 35 as another 1st round pick.    Just as I'm sure we view pick 34 as another 1st round pick.    Both teams will be drafting a player from the top-32 on their board.

 

I've been thinking... the biggest appeal of late first vs early second pick is the extra year you get from the 1st rounder. If a player like Jeffery Simmons starts dropping, I wonder if trading a 4th round pick along with #36 to move at the back of the 1st is worth it? Simmons is very likely a redshirt rookie, so the extra year will be welcome. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If I'm reading correctly, that article is from a month ago and all based off a speculative Chad Forbes tweet.

 

Yup.....   and an article that says....    and I'm cutting and pasting here....   "Brissett could probably be Miami's newest quarterback for a mid-to-late round draft pick, considering that former Super Bowl Champion Joe Flacco was dealt for a fourth-rounder."

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

 Did you see his recommended trade with the Colts? The 13th to the Colts for 26, Brissett and a 2nd. rounder.   Interesting. 

A 13th would get us the guy we need. Wouldn’t be a bad trade of picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Sorry.   But no.  

 

NE didn't try to develop Jimmy G as a back-up.     He was supposed to eventually replace Brady.   He was drafted in the 2nd round to be the future starter, not a back-up.

 

And while we're developing this late round draft pick as a rookie,  he's not the back-up on the 53.   He likely would be on the PS.    He can't be the back-up in 19,  he'll be too busy learning where the cafeteria and bathrooms are. 

 

As for "can't keep rotating out vets"....   since when?    Where is that written?    Whose law or rule is that?     Are you going to try and argue the Hasselbeck years were not well spent?    Come on now.   You could rotoate in a new veteran back-up every two years for as long as you wanted.   That's the beauty of a veteran back-up.   They can figure things out pretty quickly,  where a rookie,  typically can't.

 

Your attempts to make a JB deal for a Day 2 pick are getting carried away here....

 

 

Jimmy G was still a rookie when he was the backup in NE..on a Super Bowl team no less. So they must have expected him to be able to step in and win if necessary.  

 

All I am saying is there is no right or wrong way...and it doesn't have to be a vet QB. It makes perfect sense to get some continuity at the backup QB position.

 

And it would seem like the Colts could be entertaining that idea as we speak. I didn't say anything about a Day Two pick for JB...but it is very likely they are shopping him.

 

Let's not forget that Ballard would have entered the 2017 season with Scott Tolzien and one of Stephen Morris/Phillip Walker...neither of which had played a snap in the NFL...if not for the Brissett trade falling in his lap. I wouldn't put it past him to have a rookie backup QB next year...especially with Luck 100% healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If I'm reading correctly, that article is from a month ago and all based off a speculative Chad Forbes tweet.

 

Dammit...I thought it was just written. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stitches said:

I've been thinking... the biggest appeal of late first vs early second pick is the extra year you get from the 1st rounder. If a player like Jeffery Simmons starts dropping, I wonder if trading a 4th round pick along with #36 to move at the back of the 1st is worth it? Simmons is very likely a redshirt rookie, so the extra year will be welcome. 

 

Works for me!

 

To get a top 10-15 player that late in the 1st round,  or the top of the 2nd?

 

I'd be as happy as can be.    

 

#2019ManCrush!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

 Did you see his recommended trade with the Colts? The 13th to the Colts for 26, Brissett and a 2nd. rounder.   Interesting. 

 

No...but I don't think I really like that deal. Even if it's the late 2nd round pick. Like Ballard, "I like them 2nd round picks." And unless I am getting back a legit player...I don't really want to trade one.

 

I would rather target a player with Brissett and a pick...than swap spots. But not sure who that player would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

 Did you see his recommended trade with the Colts? The 13th to the Colts for 26, Brissett and a 2nd. rounder.   Interesting. 

 

Add Minkah Fitzpatrick and i'll do it. moving up 13 spots isnt worth two picks and a player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Jimmy G was still a rookie when he was the backup in NE..on a Super Bowl team no less. So they must have expected him to be able to step in and win if necessary.  

 

All I am saying is there is no right or wrong way...and it doesn't have to be a vet QB. It makes perfect sense to get some continuity at the backup QB position.

 

And it would seem like the Colts could be entertaining that idea as we speak. I didn't say anything about a Day Two pick for JB...but it is very likely they are shopping him.

 

Let's not forget that Ballard would have entered the 2017 season with Scott Tolzien and one of Stephen Morris/Phillip Walker...neither of which had played a snap in the NFL...if not for the Brissett trade falling in his lap. I wouldn't put it past him to have a rookie backup QB next year...especially with Luck 100% healthy. 

 

Come on now!

 

Youre comparing Jimmy G,  drafted in the 2nd round with some rookie we'd take in R's 6 or 7 and think that's the same caliber of QB?     You know that's not the case.    And remember,  this is not a great class of QB's, so a guy taken that late in the draft is not going to be helpful this year, odds are.

 

I just don't see the objection to a veteran.   Why are some many giddy with the idea of drafting a QB this year?    We need to draft a WR, an OL, perhaps a TE,  perhaps a RB.    And now, a QB?   On the offensive side priority list,  it's hard to see a QB being very high.    And we haven't even started talking about drafting defensive players yet,  which we need,  and which this is a great draft for defense.     We only have so many darts to throw in the draft.    Why spend one in the draft when we can fill the need with a quality veteran FA.    Don't you want a veteran at the most important offensive position?     If Luck goes down for 2-4 weeks,  don't you want some veteran and not an untested rookie to fill that spot?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

 

Tell me....    did Richard Pallo hack your account?

 

It's hard to tell the difference between you two here....

 

 

 

Are you saying we both have the same opinion on wanting to trade Brissett? Is it that weird that two people have a similar opinion on something? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Are you saying we both have the same opinion on wanting to trade Brissett? Is it that weird that two people have a similar opinion on something? 

 

No,  I'm not.    I never, ever mind that another poster has a different opinion than I do.   

 

I only mind when they can't present a rationale explanation for what they want to do.    And that's never been a problem for you in all the years I've been here.    You're a long time favorite of mine.  One of the top posters here.    You make great arguments on all sorts of issues and threads and posts.    I love talking football with you in all circumstances.

 

But in this thread,  I barely recognize you.   The arguments are not typical of you, IMO.   And that's meant actually as a compliment.     You're super smart,  but I don't see a smart argument from you in this thread.

 

P.S. -- by the way,  for the record,  I would LOVE to trade JB.   But only in a deal that makes sense for us,  and with a good plan for the next back-up,  which for me,  is obviously a veteran,  and not a rookie.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...